Bread Pudding Flavors? (Also name your favorite, if applicable.)

POA1

First, let me apologize for starting a thread that has nothing to do with tobacco products.

I've read a few posts where people mentioned that there are different flavors of bread pudding on the ship. I have apparently been cruising under a rock lo these many years, but I only recall seeing vanilla with vanilla sauce. What are the other flavors? Do the sauces change?

As always, thank you in advance for your replies.

I've only seen one type of Bread Pudding with the vanilla sauce - love that sauce!

I have read about a chocolate bread pudding, but have not seen it - perhaps RuthC will let us know. I guess it has chocolate chips instead of raisins, don't know if the sauce changes.

Thank you for starting a non-nicotine thread. :) Looking forward to reading more.

On our Maasdam cruise in the spring they served chocolate and peanut butter BP. My personal opinion - why ruin a good thing!!

I'm with you. Why ruin what was great. They also had banana with ugly blackened pieces of banana on top. I think I only saw the normal bread pudding once in 7 days.

CJ

In restaurants, we've had vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, oumpkin, banana, and gingerbread sweet bread puddings as desserts. We've also had savory bread puddings: cheddar, blue cheese (incl. Stilton), and Parmesan. The savories are usually the starch on on the plate with the main course. They're quite tasty.

Gingerbread pudding with an Amontillado or Oloroso tastes like Christmas. :)

I was curious about the HAL flavors. I try to steer clear of the bread pudding as much as possible because I like it too much. I even managed to skip it on the last cruise.

Edited by POA1

In restaurants, we've had vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, oumpkin, banana, and gingerbread sweet bread puddings as desserts. We've also had savory bread puddings: cheddar, blue cheese (incl. Stilton), and Parmesan. The savories are usually the starch on on the plate with the main course. They're quite tasty.

I was curious about the HAL flavors. I try to steer clear of the bread pudding as much as possible because I like it too much. I even managed to skip it on the last cruise.

Wow, I must have been living a sheltered life, I had no idea there was that many different Bread Puddings. Thanks POA, I like the sound of those savory ones, more so then the desserts. You don't see many restaurants in my area offering Bread Puddings of any kind.

I have only seen vanilla bread pudding.

Personally, I can pass on the bread pudding itself, but just give me a bowl of the vanilla custard. It reminds me of the Vanilla Vla that we get for desert when we visit family in Holland. And you can also have a scoop of custard with a scoop of fruit flavoured yogurt. Real Dutch treat.

Delicious!

Wow, I must have been living a sheltered life, I had no idea there was that many different Bread Puddings. Thanks POA, I like the sound of those savory ones, more so then the desserts. You don't see many restaurants in my area offering Bread Puddings of any kind.

We have several friends who are chefs. They like to experiment, especially when they have dinner parties. (We bring wine. A corkscrew is more in my wheelhouse.) I wouldn't be surprised to see savory bread puddings going mainstream in the next few years. Some of them go really well with certain meat dishes. It's more of a winter or cold weather thing, though.

I only went to the Lido once for lunch on the 06-22 Amsterdam cruise and got the regular bread pudding with vanilla sauce. If memory serves, they had Peanut Butter Bread Pudding and Chocolate Bread Pudding, too.

Where did I eat lunch the other days? The Dive-In. Their burgers reminded me of the messy ones that a local bar served many years ago. The local bar decided to tidy up their burgers and they just weren't as good.

As much as I like the Bread Pudding I got my calories eating those lovely messy burgers!

Now, for some reason the savory bread puddings sound wonderful to me. yum!

For years we thought HAL did away with the bread pudding as it was not on the wooden cart in the Lido as it had been. Then I read (probably on CC) that it is now kept near the ice cream, so on our last couple of cruises DH has gone in search of the bread pudding. He reports there are "usually" two to choose from (regular and a flavored) but only the one type of vanilla sauce. He remembers once the regular was gone so he took a peach bread pudding with raisins. He didn't care for it.

Now, for some reason the savory bread puddings sound wonderful to me. yum!

Me too. We must have the same taste buds:).

They are tasty. The best of to describe them would be that they're similar to stuffing (or dressing or filling depending on where you live.) One of our friends makes them in muffin tins, so you have personal puddin'. It makes for somewhat crunchier ends if you will.

Quite a few years ago when we sailed on the Amsterdam, we had DARK chocolate bread pudding with DARK chocolate sauce. That was the best bread pudding I have ever had.

On recent Amsterdam cruises they would offer the regular bread pudding as well as chocolate bread pudding with just a plain vanilla sauce.

I do not care for the regular bread pudding -- you can get that anywhere. And the sauce -- very watery.

Quite a few years ago when we sailed on the Amsterdam, we had DARK chocolate bread pudding with DARK chocolate sauce. That was the best bread pudding I have ever had.

DW would love that! I'll have to keep my eyes open on the Nieuw Amsterdam later this year. I've been walking all these years around under the impression that it was always vanilla.

They are tasty. The best of to describe them would be that they're similar to stuffing (or dressing or filling depending on where you live.) One of our friends makes them in muffin tins, so you have personal puddin'. It makes for somewhat crunchier ends if you will.

Oh, this just sounds better and better. I'm going to have to look into making my own.