Newbies - Which Class of Ship? Allure or Freedom?

My hubby turns 40 next April and we decided to do a trip instead of a big party for him.

I have been researching and reading these forums like crazy for two months. Since he has never cruised before and I only once on a RC 3-night party cruise, we are total newbies to cruising.

Right away, I was drawn to Oasis/Allure ships, but are we in over our heads for such big ships first time around? Should we be looking at the next lower class (Freedom)?

We like to be busy at night and laze around during the day by the pool/sun deck. We are travelling with another couple the same age as we are.

Also, we will be looking to book around Nov/Dec timeframe. Do the prices "usually" drop down a bit at that time or any deals?

Any advice from cruisers who have done both class of ships is most welcome!!

Thanks,

Heather

Can't go wrong with either, but no other ship compares to Oasis/Allure. That's what I'd do for the 40th birthday.

Agree with Bob.

A big celebration is best done on the biggest ship - Allure or Oasis.

There is so much to enjoy onboard them - celebrating any special event such as yours actually includes more possibilities for dining, entertainment, and so on.

Enjoy!

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Can't go wrong with either, but no other ship compares to Oasis/Allure. That's what I'd do for the 40th birthday.

Totally agree. Done both several times. Loved them all but if priced similarly I'd go oasis class. Depends on the date. Sometimes prices drop but you never know. If you're driving then you could be flexible. If flying probably better to book now and get it all locked down than risk flights prices going up as it gets closer.

When comparing the Oasis and Allure, is there really any difference between the two ships? They seems the same in terms of amenities. But the Allure comes up a bit more expensive.

Biggest difference in Oasis sails on Saturday, Allure on Sunday.

Some differences in restaurants: Oasis has Seafood Shack and Solarium Bistro. Allure has Rita's Cantina, Boardwalk Doghouse, and Samba Grill.

Shows: Oasis has Hairspray (until dry dock, then Cats), Allure has Chicago.

Edited by clarea

Oasis Class ship is a no brainer if price is comparable.

The kimmeleweck roast beef sandwich at the Park Café on the 8th floor in Central Park was the reason why I booked another cruise on the Oasis.

The ship is the destination and you and your travel mates should enjoy all the amentities and entertainment that are available to you.

Definitely an experience that you will have fond memories of through the years.

My hubby turns 40 next April and we decided to do a trip instead of a big party for him.

I have been researching and reading these forums like crazy for two months. Since he has never cruised before and I only once on a RC 3-night party cruise, we are total newbies to cruising.

Right away, I was drawn to Oasis/Allure ships, but are we in over our heads for such big ships first time around? Should we be looking at the next lower class (Freedom)?

We like to be busy at night and laze around during the day by the pool/sun deck. We are travelling with another couple the same age as we are.

Also, we will be looking to book around Nov/Dec timeframe. Do the prices "usually" drop down a bit at that time or any deals?

Any advice from cruisers who have done both class of ships is most welcome!!

Thanks,

Heather

Both classes are awesome. But I would start with the Freedom class. If you start at the top of the mountain, there is no place to go but down.

Edited by gelli8112

Both classes are awesome. But I would start with the Freedom class. If you start at the top of the mountain, there is no place to go but down.

Very good point :)

But then again, we didn't like Allure. Too big.

I just got off the Freedom, and have cruise the Oasis and Allure extensively.

I highly recommend the Oasis class, as I think the they are a class unto themselves -- there is so much going on and so much to do. You literally cannot do everything in one cruise on those ships, and that's a good thing. I've reviewed my most recent Allure cruise recently (in my signature) for more information, and I like the Oasis as much.

That said, the Freedom is great too. We had a great cruise 2 weeks ago (I need to write the review still), but as great as it was, it made me miss Oasis. Central Park, Boardwalk, and the uber-promenade and pool deck of the Oasis class are incredibly unique. There's also a lot more entertainment nightly on the Oasis (although again, plenty on the Freedom).

I thought I saw RC was having a sale for December cruises right now, but since I can't cruise then I didn't look into the fine print too much.

You'll have fun no matter what, but the Oasis may spoil you - in a good way.

I have been on the Oasis and Allure. Agree that if you start on Oasis, you can only go downhill, but with that being said, I would choose the Oasis or the Allure.

I have sailed exclusively with Princess and Royal Caribbean. By far my favorite ships were the Oasis and Allure.

Hi Heather,

If you don't go on Allure you're going to wish you had. Since you don't cruise that often why not try the Worlds Largest ship? I've been on both classes. Personally I liked the shows and specialty restaurants on Allure. What I didn't like was the crowds. With 6K+ people areas do get crowded. I also didn't like the fact I had to pre-book all the shows around my dining times.....it was a pain and too much work for me. Must be why I'm back on the Freedom next month. LOL. You really should try Allure.....if you feel it is too big....book a smaller ship next time.

Love both but I agree Oasis has more to offer and the entertainment was awesome. We went on the Oasis last Jan. and going again this Jan. The only thing I missed on Oasis is having an outside balcony. It is just too expensive for us to justify on the Oasis but we get one on all the other ships. The inside balcony over the boardwalk was good and this time we will have one over Central Park