Celebrity prices gone up in the UK!

kikki21

We were on the verge of booking on the Eclipse for the Fjords next August. I happened to check out the price for a balcony cabin and it has shot up - we originally looked at the new P&O ship and looks like despite the 123 promotion, the much better value option as there is a difference of £1000 between the 2 now!

Bit gutted as wanted to sail on one of the S class ships for ages but can't justify spending that extra money!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Leave it a couple of days and check again.

We are booked to on a Baltic cruise next August and every so often I check the prices. I noticed a few weeks ago the prices had gone up but then a few days later they were back down to what we paid.

Have just checked our cruise and that has gone up in price but wouldn't be surprised if it goes down again by Friday.

I will keep checking the prices and see what happens - we were keen to book the 123 promotion as it was really good value for us with the cost of the cruise as it was - just hard to know when to book these things! :)

It continues to be my opinion that despite claims by many on these boards that all the 'pay-to-play' options are keeping prices down, the prices of Celebrity cabins have shot up considerably of late - way more than inflation can justify. This is what I have seen on cruises I have looked into or booked - obviously I cannot speak for every single cruise. My upcoming cruise is literally 50% more for a comparable room than just two years ago.

I will keep checking the prices and see what happens - we were keen to book the 123 promotion as it was really good value for us with the cost of the cruise as it was - just hard to know when to book these things! :)

We booked the August 2015 Norwegian Fjords cruise in April this year. In early June we were able to add the 123 Go promotion and the price actually decreased slightly. Since then the price for aqua class has increased several times until it is now over 70% more than the price we booked at. We don't believe Celebrity will be able to sell all the remaining cabins at such high fares.

We booked the August 2015 Norwegian Fjords cruise in April this year. In early June we were able to add the 123 Go promotion and the price actually decreased slightly. Since then the price for aqua class has increased several times until it is now over 70% more than the price we booked at. We don't believe Celebrity will be able to sell all the remaining cabins at such high fares.

Wow that's a huge price increase for what it was but at least you could add the promotion on!

We don't get price drops here in the UK from our TA's so if we see a price that's it, that's the one you are stuck with although people may still barter of course!

I am going to ring a TA in actual fact and see what they think and we know cruise prices are very fluid and volatile which means if you see it and like it then book it!

Wow that's a huge price increase for what it was but at least you could add the promotion on!

We don't get price drops here in the UK from our TA's so if we see a price that's it, that's the one you are stuck with although people may still barter of course!

I am going to ring a TA in actual fact and see what they think and we know cruise prices are very fluid and volatile which means if you see it and like it then book it!

We booked directly with Celebrity UK using the "Discover in 2015" promotion. This included a "Best Price/Promotion" promise. We were sceptical, but had no problem adding the 123 Go promotion. We also got the price reduction!

we originally looked at the new P&O ship and looks like despite the 123 promotion, the much better value option as there is a difference of £1000 between the 2 now!

kikki21 I think you have fallen in to the same trap as I did, the Celebrity quote is for 2 people and the P&O quote is for 1, also the Celebrity cruise is for a day longer.

Add that to the 123go choice of 2 benefits (which expires in 10 days) the Celebrity Eclipse cruise is the better choice in my opinion

kikki21 I think you have fallen in to the same trap as I did, the Celebrity quote is for 2 people and the P&O quote is for 1, also the Celebrity cruise is for a day longer.

Add that to the 123go choice of 2 benefits (which expires in 10 days) the Celebrity Eclipse cruise is the better choice in my opinion

Current price difference seems to be around £660 Per Person so quite considerable. However both are expensive for a 7 or 8 night trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not the case. We booked Equinox via a TA last year and when I noticed a price drop on the Celebrity website I contacted the agent. We booked in the UK.

She negotiated both an upgrade from Concierge to Aqua and some money back.

As you can imagine we were delighted.

Understand your dilemma but do you need to book so far out. Pricing will change many times before final payment for an August 2015 cruise.

Current price difference seems to be around £660 Per Person so quite considerable. However both are expensive for a 7 or 8 night trip.

Sorry if I'm being thick, Celebrity this August (14) and next August (15) cheapest cabins are around £750 and P&O's are from £779 to around £1100 pp.

Am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm being thick, Celebrity this August (14) and next August (15) cheapest cabins are around £750 and P&O's are from £779 to around £1100 pp.

Am I missing something?

I think the OP is just looking at next year and has been looking at Balconys on the Eclipse but prices have increased. The Eclipse is currently around £1671 for a balcony next August with Brittania at around £1008pp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is not the case. We booked Equinox via a TA last year and when I noticed a price drop on the Celebrity website I contacted the agent. We booked in the UK.

She negotiated both an upgrade from Concierge to Aqua and some money back.

As you can imagine we were delighted.

Understand your dilemma but do you need to book so far out. Pricing will change many times before final payment for an August 2015 cruise.

That's a very good TA then Spursgirl!!!

Well if you look at my signature we've actually gone and booked the Britannia this afternoon so I will have to wait for the S class ships till 2016 when we are looking at an Adriatic cruise.

I was looking at a normal balcony for Celebrity and then there was a modest jump up to Concierge Class about £40.00 in total for both so I thought ok - it was pricing out at £1749 per person a few weeks ago which was worth the extra cost to me with the promotion at the moment. I looked again at the weekend to see a big price jump to just over £2000 per person which I thought was very expensive! Even if I could get the deal for the 123 promotion on it!

I started looking again at the Britannia as the price for a superior deluxe balcony was working out at £1519 for your choice of cabin but in the end I have gone for the early saver offer and got it for £1329 per person so i'm happy and so is hubby! :)

Work sort of dictates when we can cruise and so the date of this is ideal for us both and we like to get something in the bag - we booked our Azamara cruise a year out but I have booked a cruise with 5 weeks to go but circumstances were different then!

Hi Kikki21,

I agree with much of what's been said. On the plus side, there's still plenty of time before final payment is due for an August 2015 sailing, so there's always a chance that pricing can drop - especially as you get closer to final payment, and moreso, after final payment is due... depending on how well the particular date is selling.

On the negative side, I've noticed many sailings where I keep waiting for a price drop, and it never happens ! Cruising is extremely popular, and should only continue to grow... so it's tough to predict what the future holds in pricing.

In our case, due to Mom's age, cabin location is critical, so we usually book early and hope for the best.... but I can certainly see why that may not be the best option for everyone.

I hope everything works out to your satisfaction. All the best to you !

It's just another thing that the Brits get hammered for . We have just booked a Med cruise for next year and we have noticed a noticeable rise in X prices and by many accounts from many cruisers less activities, changes that affect the majority for the minority and indifferent reports on meal quality and an overall downsizing in overall experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yesterday the UK pricing for the lowest veranda on the May 9 Eclipse cruise was 940 GBP per person. The USD pricing was 2325 per person for the same cruise and cabin category.

Hi TMLAlum,

Wow, that's a huge difference. At today's exchange rate, that works out to about 1,604 USD. Of course, Celebrity's exchange rate likely differs.

Where do I call to book ? (Just kidding !)

Hi TMLAlum,

Wow, that's a huge difference. At today's exchange rate, that works out to about 1,604 USD. Of course, Celebrity's exchange rate likely differs.

Where do I call to book ? (Just kidding !)

Andy

Celebrity tend to use a very advantageous [for us Brits] exchange rates these days - not only for cruise prices but also for pre-booked extras [including, for our PR next Spring, pre-cruise hotels]. We can also pre-purchase OBC at an advantageous exchange rate much of the time.

On the negative side, cruising is growing so fast in the UK, I doubt that most lines do not have much difficulty selling their budgeted quota in the UK. We have been cruising since 2006. For years, we knew nobody else in the UK who cruised. Now, almost everyone we speak to either does or knows someone who does and are considering it themselves.

There are also very different booking patterns in the two countries. It is not many years since everyone in the UK booked their "summer holiday" at the beginning of the year. Traditionally, holiday advertisements started on the TV on Boxing Day [26 December] and people booked then for July/August. The result is that you still see newspaper advertisement advertising "new season" cruise bookings for cruises we have been booked on for a year or more. If UK customers book cruises at that time, they are not getting the best rates which we still find are those offered when the season first opens.

There ARE situations where some from the US are much better off than us. We were on the westbound TA B2B with a 5-day Caribbean last December. Anyone on the TA who lived in Florida was being offered the opportunity to stay on the Caribbean leg for ridiculously low rates with a beverage package thrown in for good measure.

Like everything in life, it is swings and roundabouts. We Brits just like to moan because all the swings are in use and we don't want to use the roundabouts.

Perhaps if we could book a Med cruise in the states rather than using dollars instead of sterling then it would be better.. I don't think us "Brits " are moaning we just, like our American cousins, want a deal that is fair . We have sailed with X several times and the product was good I have read that the services on the ships have been watered down and the prices have increased. This maximises the revenue but ultimately if the quality or experience is not worth the price hike then people will vote with their feet choose better deals on other cruise lines. Sadly Celebrity appear to sailing a course that that will alienate their long standing customers by pricing themselves out of a competitive market.

Perhaps if we could book a Med cruise in the states rather than using dollars instead of sterling then it would be better.. I don't think us "Brits " are moaning we just, like our American cousins, want a deal that is fair . We have sailed with X several times and the product was good I have read that the services on the ships have been watered down and the prices have increased. This maximises the revenue but ultimately if the quality or experience is not worth the price hike then people will vote with their feet choose better deals on other cruise lines. Sadly Celebrity appear to sailing a course that that will alienate their long standing customers by pricing themselves out of a competitive market.

Have you ever considered booking with a TA in the States?