Dining Solo in Murano

Estelle

Hello -

My upcoming Reflection cruise will be my first ever as a solo cruiser. Since my husband died I have taken a few land-based vacations and I have gotten comfortable dining out on my own in local restaurants for lunch and dinner. I have a very nice OBC for this cruise and a prepaid drinks package in hand, so I am thinking that I might like to splurge at Murano for dinner one night.

I'm sure the service will still be excellent even if I am by myself - but has anyone else done this? I know I could wait until I am on board and maybe meet a new friend and go to dinner together - but it's a very port intensive cruise and I kind of know which night I would like to try and do this.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I have seen singles in Murano and most of Celebrities better restaurants. I would not worry about booking a table for one. Should you meet someone, they can easily add another party to your table. Have a nice cruise.

Thanks again for the reports.

It's a constant adjusting act over the past two years but no reason traveling alone should keep you from enjoying everything available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I dine solo in specialty restaurants all the time; no problem. I use the time between courses to write in a small travel journal I write for each cruise (which helps when I write my CC reviews); it also helps avoid being too self-conscious.

I dine solo in specialty restaurants all the time; no problem. I use the time between courses to write in a small travel journal I write for each cruise (which helps when I write my CC reviews); it also helps avoid being too self-conscious.

I usually don't feel self-conscious and I always carry my kindle with me now. The travel journal is a good idea too.

Thank you all for your replies - I really appreciate it.

While I have not dined at Murano's as a solo, I have done so in the Supper Clubs of the Carnival ships and Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships.

I have never found being solo being a disadvantage at such venues. If one's table is close enough to another person(s), sometimes a conversation develops between our tables. Sometimes not; if not, I enjoy people-watching: guests and staff. And, if prior reviews of these restaurants have raised some types of "issues", I look to see if I notice such "issues". If so,--and it has happened in some PG situations--I have something of some substance to say on the end of cruise comment form.

Go and enjoy!

I dined solo in Murano one night when my DH was sick and couldn't go but urged me to keep the reservation. It was actually very nice, the staff was friendly and attentive without going overboard. I felt very comfortable and was glad I didn't cancel for myself.

Hi Estelle, hope the replies helped:)

I usually eat in the main dining room...my upcoming cruise I am thinking

of stepping way outside of the box and eating Specialty all week (I

always sail solo). It will be something very different but sometimes

having a change up can be a fun thing:D;):)

Lois R - They did indeed help!

I have always found the boards on CC to be full of information, support and friendliness!

And when I have info I can pass along I try to do my best too.

Edited by Estelle

So sorry for your loss......my husband and I dined in Murano several times on our April cruise. One night there was a man sitting at a table for one. He seemed happy to be there and the staff was very friendly with him. I think the journal or Kindle is a good idea and if you meet someone on board that wants to join you, that is a plus!:) Enjoy your cruise!!

I dined solo in Murano for lunch when my traveling companion fell ill and could not go. I never felt out of place and was treated excellent by the staff. I also took my tablet with books on it and read during the meal but it was not a necessity.

Go and enjoy without worrying about it.

So sorry for your loss......my husband and I dined in Murano several times on our April cruise. One night there was a man sitting at a table for one. He seemed happy to be there and the staff was very friendly with him. I think the journal or Kindle is a good idea and if you meet someone on board that wants to join you, that is a plus!:) Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks for your kind words. My first cruise without Bill will be a challenge in lots of ways but I am really looking forward to it and enjoying the journey in as many ways as possible.

I dined solo in Murano for lunch when my traveling companion fell ill and could not go. I never felt out of place and was treated excellent by the staff. I also took my tablet with books on it and read during the meal but it was not a necessity.

Go and enjoy without worrying about it.

Thanks so much! I will!

Thanks for your kind words. My first cruise without Bill will be a challenge in lots of ways but I am really looking forward to it and enjoying the journey in as many ways as possible.

Hi Ann,

I noticed your post on this boards and for a second didn't realize who it was. But of course, eventually I realized it was you. I assume you remember who I am and often think of that day two years ago in Provence with you and Bill. I am happy that you are cruising again. Needless to say, I always cruise solo and find it is the best way to go. You are never alone as long as cruise critic friends are around.:D and it is nice to have your own space to spread out.

I took the Reflection TA in April and it is a wonderful ship. I am sure you will love your cruise. Hopefully we will meet again in the future. Have a wonderful dinner in Murano and a great time.

Sincerely,

Anne

Hi Ann,

I noticed your post on this boards and for a second didn't realize who it was. But of course, eventually I realized it was you. I assume you remember who I am and often think of that day two years ago in Provence with you and Bill. I am happy that you are cruising again. Needless to say, I always cruise solo and find it is the best way to go. You are never alone as long as cruise critic friends are around.:D and it is nice to have your own space to spread out.

I took the Reflection TA in April and it is a wonderful ship. I am sure you will love your cruise. Hopefully we will meet again in the future. Have a wonderful dinner in Murano and a great time.

Sincerely,

Anne

Hello Anne -

It's so nice to hear from you! That was a lovely day and a lovely cruise. I'm so glad we had that trip together.

I decided that I had to keep traveling no matter what had happened but cruises by myself were a little scary not because I am afraid to be alone but because Bill was so happy on ships. Our biggest dream was to take a cruise around the world one day but it wasn't meant to be.

I really look forward to the Reflection and this trip. Lots of places still to visit!

Hope our paths cross again one day!

Take care, Ann