How early can you drop off luggage?

RickT

Sailing out of Amsterdam in 10 days and wonder how early you can drop off your luggage? I know check-in normally isn't until 11:00 AM however our fight arrives at 6:30 AM and was hoping I could drop off our bags and explore Amsterdam for a few hours. I don't even need to check in to the ship, but just drop off the bags so we don't need to worry about them. I suspect we'd be back shortly after lunch to check in and board.

I know we can probably store them at the train station but given how close the ship will be it would be easier (and safer?) to check them in.

If anyone knows or has tried this your feedback would be appreciated.

Porters are so busy off loading luggage from those who are disembarking, you might not find anyone to accept luggage that early. Plus you run the risk of getting your bags mixed up with the bags of those leaving. Personally, I wouldn't hand over the bags earlier than 10.

Probally to late now, but personally I would fly the day before, book a hotel room for the night, giving you plenty of time to look round and somewhere to leave your luggage. We did an overnight stop on a cruise, and we did the evening canal cruise, definetly one of our best excursions! Another option would be to see if you can get a 'day' room at a hotel, several at the airport provide this service

We always go to Southampton at least a day before our cruise, for me the holiday really starts when we check into the pre cruise hotel!

Not sure what time you could, but I would be one of those afraid to drop it off really early. There is so much confusion at the port on embarkation/disembarkation day I would be very concerned of my luggage never showing up on the ship. I think of how many times through my 25+ Celebrity cruises where at least one piece got temporarily lost and didn't show up until evening. And that is when we dropped it off at the time of boarding, and even then our luggage got separated and partially misplaced. Did you consider renting a car? Then you could have your luggage with you. May be more expensive but more piece of mind IMHO.

Edited by phoenix_dream

Probally to late now, but personally I would fly the day before, book a hotel room for the night, giving you plenty of time to look round and somewhere to leave your luggage. We did an overnight stop on a cruise, and we did the evening canal cruise, definetly one of our best excursions! Another option would be to see if you can get a 'day' room at a hotel, several at the airport provide this service

We always go to Southampton at least a day before our cruise, for me the holiday really starts when we check into the pre cruise hotel!

:cool: It's a shame that you did not ask this question earlier. Too late now I bet. You should always go over at least one night earlier, and in Amsterdam, two nights were perfect last August. Stayed at Hotel Fita. Great location, reasonable, clean and perfect hosts. Never go over the day of the cruise if you have an option:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

If you land at 0630, and the flight is actually on time :roll eyes: , you won't be at the port until around 0800-0830 after clearing customs, collecting luggage and transferring. I don't imagine it would be too long after that that you would be able to drop you luggage - maybe 0900? You could then spend several hours exploring Amsterdam and come back for a mid-late afternoon checkin.

Cheers

Ando

:cool: It's a shame that you did not ask this question earlier. Too late now I bet. You should always go over at least one night earlier, and in Amsterdam, two nights were perfect last August. Stayed at Hotel Fita. Great location, reasonable, clean and perfect hosts. Never go over the day of the cruise if you have an option:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Thanks for your comment but that wasn't a possibility on this sailing due to work and personal commitments. I've cruised a number of times and do fly in early when I can, but when I can't ensure I have the best possible flights (this is a direct flight to Amsterdam so little worries of missed connections or bags getting lost).

We've been to Amsterdam a number of times before and have picked the South of France to relax after the cruise for a few days which is another reason we didn't try to change our world in order to fly in a day or two early.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments. I suspect I'll just store my luggage at the train station and not take a chance at trying to check it in at the ship.

I would read post 8 again, the advice there is good! Walk along to the port, from the train station, it will likely be 9.00am by then. Don't hand the luggage to a porter, but seek out a supervisor who will personally arrange for your luggage to be handled appropriately. We have not done that in Amsterdam, but have in many other European departure ports and never had a problem.

A 6:30 arrival does not mean 6:30 at the pier. You'll need to collect luggage, go through customs, find a cab, etc. If you need to kill a little more time, you could grab a cup of coffee at the airport. Head to the pier and if you need to wait half an hour until they'll take your luggage, so be it. Then, go wander for a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to Centraal Station at 8:15. Stopped for a coffee and then walked to the ship and was able to drop off my luggage at 9:00. There was lots of other luggage already there so I suspect people were able to drop it off at 8:30 if not earlier.