Serious question: Why does anyone buy trip insurance unless old or tight budget?

pokerpro5

Not trying to be condescending here, but trip insurance is one of the worst value things one can purchase. It's pretty much throwing money away unless you have a high chance of using it.

I can only think of three scenarios where it makes sense to purchase trip insurance:

1) You are living on a tight budget, and the money you lose by not being able to go would be so financially devastating that you couldn't travel again for a long time.

2) You are old or in poor health, and there is a fair chance that something will change for the worse between now and your trip.

3) You have a family member who is old or in poor health, and there is a fair chance you will have to attend their funeral or final details, and have to cancel the trip.

Otherwise, it's a complete waste of money, yet I see many upper-middle class families waste their money on this garbage.

Someone please explain to me why they bother.

Please don't visit the UK without medical insurance. We have had enough freeloaders on our Health Service.

Please don't visit the UK without medical insurance. We have had enough freeloaders on our Health Service.

You've proven his point.

Insurance is a poor proposition for the buyer as it is. Otherwise, insurance companies would not make large profits.

If the NHS is just going to let him (or me, or anyone else) freeload off your system, insurance goes from a poor proposition to a nonsensical one. Why pay for something if, should I ever need it, it's free.

You need to re read my post.

Rochelle

Rochelle, I just want to say that I've read 5 or 6 or 8 or 10 or 15 of your posts over the past week or so, and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

You've proven his point.

Insurance is a poor proposition for the buyer as it is. Otherwise, insurance companies would not make large profits.

If the NHS is just going to let him (or me, or anyone else) freeload off your system, insurance goes from a poor proposition to a nonsensical one. Why pay for something if, should I ever need it, it's free.

It's not free. Somebody else (in this case the British taxpayer) is paying for it.

What you're proposing is that somebody plan to use something (a consumable) which somebody else had paid for - in many jurisdictions that would be theft.

It's not free. Somebody else (in this case the British taxpayer) is paying for it.

What you're proposing is that somebody plan to use something (a consumable) which somebody else had paid for - in many jurisdictions that would be theft.

Well, it's not theft in his country, or it wouldn't be allowed.

For whatever reason, his country deems paying the medical bills of freeloading foreigners a laudable social goal.

This has descended into a discussion of morality.

That's fine, but it's no longer about rational economics.

It makes no rational sense to pay for something that one can get for free whenever needed. Morally, well that might be a different story, but economically, it's case closed.

For whatever reason, his country deems paying the medical bills of freeloading foreigners a laudable social goal.

It makes no rational sense to pay for something that one can get for free whenever needed. Morally, well that might be a different story, but economically, it's case closed.

So in Toronto you should just hop on the GO train any time you like without paying, just because you can?

Rochelle

I personally would rather pay for the services that I use so I'll purchase the insurance, thanks just the same. (And I might have your word for it that the services would be gratis, but that's not a roll of the dice I would be willing to bet on without a lot more research.)

I read carefully the above stories but none actually says that someone was charged for the helicopter evacuation from the ship. They say it can cost up to X but no one was actually billed. Yes to be evacuated from the ship on land to a hospital gets charged but not from a helicopter(normally a military or CG one). but I buy insurance anyway. Its hard to believe that simple sinusitis cost $2000-there is almost always more to the story...

I can tell you for sure that if a USCG helo evacuates you, you will get a bill. Just like if you are evacuated by the US government from an area with political unrest/war/natural disaster either by the military or a charter arranged by the Department of State. You WILL get a bill and you WILL be responsible for paying it and they WILL come after you if you don't. The cost varies, but to put a bird in the air for a medical evac runs $5-10K an hour.

FYI--I received medical treatment in Canada and got a bill. There was nothing "free" about it. I suspect the same thing would happen in the UK.

FYI--I received medical treatment in Canada and got a bill. There was nothing "free" about it. I suspect the same thing would happen in the UK.

Unless things have changed in recent years, you would indeed get a bill for NHS (UK) treatment. They would treat you to whatever degree you required until you could return home. They would not turn you away for lack of the right Credit Card etc. How far they would pursue the debt thereafter is something I have no personal experience of. For me travelling to the UK, medical insurance would be a must. I am British but resident in Canada so would be in the same boat (excuse the pun) as anyone else travelling there.

So in Toronto you should just hop on the GO train any time you like without paying, just because you can?

Rochelle

I'm not inclined to get in a battle of wits with the unarmed, so this will likely be my last post in this thread unless people stop trying to put words in my mouth. Summing up:

1) Insurance is a negative expectancy purchase. Otherwise, insurance companies would not exist.

2A) One poster implied that in his country, insurance was not required because you could just freeload off the system.

2B) I claim that such a system both renders the purchase of insurance superfluous, and that it promotes immoral behaviour. People are reacting as if I just told a kindergarten class that Santa shot and ate the Easter Bunny.

3) Rochelle starts muttering about the GO train, whatever that is. Apparently it is something in Toronto. Many people from Toronto assume that all other Canadians know or care about Toronto things, which is cute, but many of us don't. The word 'Toronto' is Huron Indian for "crappy knockoff of New York".

4A) Another person pointed out that, in America, bills are indeed passed out for emergency services rendered there.

4B) Good stuff. I'm guessing that America's policy, if poster is correct, is one of the remaining vestiges of the principle that used to exist in America about personal responsibility.

5) Another poster unsubscribed himself from this thread, but in telling us so, resubscribed. This is gentle irony that makes me smile. Nobody knows what irony is anymore. I blame Alanis Morrisette for that, whose song "Ironic" had nothing actually ironic in it but continues to get radio play. (Google "Ed Byrne on Alanis Morrisette" if you need clarity.)

I'll close with what I opened with: travel insurance is a bad deal. Buy insurance companies' stocks, not their products! It's like tobacco. Oh, reminds me: I think I'll go cruise the smokers' pity-party threads ("Goodbye NCL! Goodbye CC! Goodbye, Cruel World!") and see what's up there. I'll have more luck telling tobacco addicts not to smoke than curing insurance addicts.

I can tell you for sure that if a USCG helo evacuates you, you will get a bill. Just like if you are evacuated by the US government from an area with political unrest/war/natural disaster either by the military or a charter arranged by the Department of State. You WILL get a bill and you WILL be responsible for paying it and they WILL come after you if you don't. The cost varies, but to put a bird in the air for a medical evac runs $5-10K an hour.

you will NOT get a bill from the USCG

http://www.insuremytrip.com/learn/coverages/medical-evacuation-costs.html

from of all places insuremytrip.com

you will NOT get a bill from the USCG

http://www.insuremytrip.com/learn/coverages/medical-evacuation-costs.html

from of all places insuremytrip.com

Tell that to my friend in the USCG whose job it is to prepare those bills. I'll take her word over something someone wrote on the Internet.

Edited by ducklite

the cg does not bill...in which command is she?

Have you not met ducklite before? I mean NCL board is ducklites home away from home given how many cruises she has done and is thus the expert in ALL things.

Edited by Adidas4fun

I am only responding to the original post and not the debate on taking advantage of free health care in those countries which offer it, I buy trip insurance because the night before I left for a trip my grandmother died. It was not a cruise and we were able to salvage part of the trip but it was difficult. Since then I have always bought because the unexpected does happen and the cost of trip insurance is minor in comparison to the potential loss.

Accidents and illness can happen to anyone, not just the elderly. Most travel insurance policies will cover if you, your travel companions, or your family member has an unforeseen accident or illness. Many policies will also cover loss of a job, or loss of a business. How about a car accident on your way to the airport? A good policy will make sure that if you don't get to go on your vacation, at least you can recoup the $2,000-$5,000.

Even those who aren't on a "tight budget" wouldn't want to walk away from a few thousand dollars, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree accidents happen to anyone of any age rich or poor

I you find it a waste of money do not buy it others may not see it the same way

years ago DH was hit by a car on his motorcycle on his way home from work a few days from our trip

The bike was a right off...he was able to walk away but it could have been a different story

YMMD

W never bought cruise insurance until 3 years ago and did so then because BIL was having health issues and I was traveling with my sister.

About a month before the cruise DS called to ask if I'd purchased the insurance, answers - Yes, and Why? Her response (this is all by text) Will let you know I'm in the emergency room. Next text - they've ordered the part will keep you posted! :eek:

Seems my very healthy sister fell on ice and broke her femur - compound fracture requiring a rod, etc. She was out of commission for quite some time, so yes, it does come in handy. Royal Caribbean was wonderful by the way.

DH injured his leg requiring a visit to the er and stitches. It was touch and go right up to leaving for Florida whether we would be able to go. Yes, we went, on 2nd thought should have used the insurance.

Edited by temple1

Yup, add me to the list of people who've pointed out that accidents and illnesses can happen to anyone, regardless of age or the type of activity/vacation you're planning. Even something "ordinary" like tripping on a curb could result in many thousands of dollars in care.

I'm neither old nor sickly, and I refuse to travel without insurance. There are so many scenarios that can happen both before and during a cruise that I don't feel comfortable traveling without it.

Personally, for me, I've had to make three claims for missed cruises whereby I would have lost over $50K. You never know what could go wrong at the last minute such as illness, death, accidents. Not only that, but what about weather-related issues that can cause a missed or interrupted cruises, or flight issues?

Then you have problems that happen once on board the ship. Illness or injury happen more than you might imagine, and many private insurers, and Medicare/Medicaid will not cover you outside the US. On my last cruise in April, there were FOUR emergency evacuations from the ship for either illness or injury, and numerous other incidents when Norovirus hit the ship.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that evacuation from a ship is wallet busting. My mom fell and broke her hip on a ship, and the 30 minute flight was $9000. An acquaintance of mine fell on a ship and needed to be flown home to Houston for surgery, and the flight was $37,000. Other evac flights can get into the six figure range if you have to be evac'd from a distant location. You might be able to afford that, but a vast majority of us cannot.

Not trying to be condescending here, but trip insurance is one of the worst value things one can purchase. It's pretty much throwing money away unless you have a high chance of using it.

I can only think of three scenarios where it makes sense to purchase trip insurance:

1) You are living on a tight budget, and the money you lose by not being able to go would be so financially devastating that you couldn't travel again for a long time.

2) You are old or in poor health, and there is a fair chance that something will change for the worse between now and your trip.

3) You have a family member who is old or in poor health, and there is a fair chance you will have to attend their funeral or final details, and have to cancel the trip.

Otherwise, it's a complete waste of money, yet I see many upper-middle class families waste their money on this garbage.

1) Upper middle class does not necessarily mean money. Money and class are not the same thing.

2) I see from your cruise history that you seem to take 'generic' carribean week type cruises which are a very different cost wise to say a European, South American or world cruise etc. Our Panama Canal trip has cost a heck of a lot in airfare and whatnot so £100 for peace of mind is fine. I know manyy that earn in the 6 figures that would not like to loose thousands for a holiday.

3)Illness and accidents can happen regardless of age. My husband is a healthy type 1 diabetic. If he has a hypo who knows the implications.

4) Tight budgets may make people go the other way as in not spend an extras (including insurance). I would soon be able to travel again if I lost out for my cruise but I am not wanting thousands of my hard earned money go down the drain.

5) For me travel insurance is a whole package - cancellation,lost luggage, illness, legal, medical costs. I had no idea that 'cancellation insurance' on its own even existed.

There have been many stories of people that never bought insurance until an 'incident' and then they were suddenly converts.

Edited by Velvetwater

Being OLD has nothing to do with purchasing insurance for medical and evacuation coverage. ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN ! Accidents can and do occur with all ages !

Most employee and private insurance policies have extremely limited to NO Foreign Travel Medical Coverage and certainly do not cover medical evacuation cost. I have seen all too often injuries that have occurred to "YOUNG" passengers that required them to be transported of the ship for medical care. Within 5 minutes after boarding the Allure I saw a woman around the age of 30 fall and seriously injure her leg when stepping off the carousal. The family's cruise ended before it ever began.

Edited by xxoocruiser

You know what, pokerpro, come back and tell us what a bad deal cruise insurance is when you stop taking your $799 NCL cruises and take a longer cruise, in a more faraway area. Sure, most can handle losing money on a cheap cruise in the Caribbean, but it's a whole new poker tournament when you take a cruise on a higher end line, in more exotic ports, for longer than 21 days, where medical care is poor or non-existent. Try booking all, or part, of a world cruise where your fare is 6 digits per person. Try getting sick or injured in a place like Namibia, or Sri Lanka or Cambodia. I'm all in that you'd change your bet when they flip the river card and you're out thousands of dollars, maybe even hundreds of thousands, for medical care and medical flights.