Assistance with travel home from UK to Florida in November

Steffisews

Hello, all.

I'm almost finished with the plans for our big vacation in November. We will be going across on the QM2 on October 28th.

My question is about returning to the US. Im having problems in finding suitable transport. When we look for flights home to Tampa, FL from London, business class one way is about 8K per person. Even coach is about 6K per person. I dont know if we'd be better off to leave for home from either Edinburgh or Glasgow. I tried asking Cunard, and they werent much help with the air portion. I did inquire about booking passage from Southampton back to NY, and since we had used Cunard to cross, if perhaps there were special pricing? The answer was, no.

So I am a bit stuck. I dont know how we are going to get home without spending an absolute fortune. If it comes down to it, I'll opt for another crossing on the QM2 rather than by plane. Or is there another cruise line we could get out of a location in the UK which would get us back to the US in a reasonable amount of time?

Thank you for any assistance. As its my first time planning this, I'm a bit mystified by some things.

Edited by Steffisews
lenght

Are you already booked on QM2 for the October 28th EB TA? Did you ask Cunard specifically about a "CompleteAir" package? You said they weren't "much help" so I don't know if those are sold out (possible as it's late). How are you getting from Tampa, FL to New York? I'm trying to understand what you are doing. Flying Tampa-NY but then trying to get Heathrow-Miami or Tampa?

The only way you might get back to Tampa, FL on another ship is on a "repositioning" voyage but those tend to start in a Mediterranean port rather than Southampton, UK.

You're just past the normal final payment date for an October 28th voyage when the best discounts are offered. But the caveat is that waiting longer for lower ship fares usually means higher air fares.

The next QM2 WB transatlantic would be on November 12th to New York. I see stateroom availability in all grades. But you would still have to get from New York to Tampa. At the economy air fares you're seeing now 8 days in London and a QM2 voyage back might be break even.

Edited by BlueRiband

I just checked a repositioning cruise site and the closest I see is Celebrity Constellation: Nov 4 (5) – 15 (16) days Rome to Florida (Fort Lauderdale). Trying to make back to back cruises in different countries is not something I would ever attempt.

BlueRiband is a step ahead of me : )

My first thought was also to suggest looking into a repositioning cruise ship. Reasonable in price and (can be) an extension of your pleasure!

DH and I trained from London to Rome in '07 to catch a repositioning cruise ship back to the states. This was also in early November. Not complicated and allowed a bit of enjoyable sightseeing along the way.

Good luck problem-solving and have happy and safe travel!

Thank you everyone for the quick and informative responses.

Yes, I did ask about the CompleteAir service. We'll be flying from Tampa to New York to get on the ship. Our problem is we will not be returning until 15-November. We'll have arrived in Northampton on 04-November. We'll be spending the rest of our time in London and touring Scotland. Yes, coming home would prefer London to Tampa or Orlando. What I'm trying to avoid is Miami. Again I'm just all confused because I have too many choices.

Thanks for the tip on Aer Lingus. I hadn't checked them out. As luck would have it, Virgin America has a flight from Glasgow to Orlando, but it stops on October 31st. That would have been perfect.

Repositioning. Will have to look into that possibility.

Thanks very much.

I don't know how strong a driver price is for you, but if that is the major problem, I would suggest looking for a London to NYC thru Cunard, then trying to book Southwest, Jetblue or some discount carrier like that from NYC to FLA. I think that is the most likely way of getting the lowest price. Best of luck.

Unfortunately, you're leaving Great Britain on November 15, if you could scoot the day of departure up to November 12, the QM2 departs Southampton for New York. Once there Amtrak runs the "Silver Star", with sleeper service, to Tampa out of Penn Station at 11:02 AM daily.

My partner and I are returning home from New York to Cincinnati after our crossing later this year by Amtrak. We've used Amtrak several times to get to or from the ship, and have found it a stress free way to begin or end a transatlantic crossing.

Edited by Calliope

Unfortunately, you're leaving Great Britain on November 15, if you could scoot the day of departure up to November 12, the QM2 departs Southampton for New York. Once there Amtrak runs the "Silver Star", with sleeper service, to Tampa out of Penn Station at 11:02 AM daily.

My partner and I are returning home to Cincinnati after our crossing by Amtrak later this year. We've used Amtrak several times to get to or from the ship, and have found it a stress free way to begin or end a transatlantic crossing.

Doesn't AmTrak stop in Cincinnati at something like 3 a.m.? (Just curious--I remember someone mentioning this, years ago---maybe the schedule has changed?)

That aside, I agree NYC to Florida via train wouldn't be bad in terms of comfort, but booking a sleeper close to travel date can become pricey. I believe AmTrak sells cheaper tickets, initially, and increases the fare as time moves on… Right now, it looks like the fare for a sleeper is about $450 for two seniors (Penn Station to Tampa). http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Sounds like a great suggestion, Calliope!

The west-bound "Cardinal", if on time, is due into Cincinnati Union Terminal at 1:13 AM. Last May after our crossing we used Amtrak to return home, and arrived in Cincy at 1:25 AM. I've been on airplanes later than that!

The west-bound "Cardinal", if on time, is due into Cincinnati Union Terminal at 1:13 AM. Last May after our crossing we used Amtrak to return home, and arrived in Cincy at 1:25 AM. I've been on airplanes later than that!

Our AmTrak experience has always been leaving from Chicago, Portland, Seattle, Oakland---all during daytime hours.

It took me a while to realize there are a lot of stations across the country where boarding time/arrival time is not quite as convenience. (Foolish me!)

1--!:30 really isn't too bad.

It's amazing (and a shame) how many locations aren't served by trains in the US-- 1--1:30 is a very do-able option. Nice to have that option!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Calliope!

Price is the driver only in that I think a price of 6k per person for a business class airline ticket, one way, from London to Tampa is ludicrous. But, I could be unrealistic in my expectations as well.

Oh, I LOVE the idea of the train from Cincinnatti to Tampa. We've traveled by train a lot in the past, never found anything much to complain about. We usually get the handicapped accomodations and it's fine.

I think the problem might be solved by Aer Lingus. Yes, we could have changed our departure date to the 12th and returned on the Queen. That was starting to look like a good choice, and we were fine with doing it. What I truly wanted to avoid was a scenario where we wound up having to pay those big prices to get back to the US and then still face another flight from say NY to Tampa. Or worse, Miami to Tampa. I loathe the Miami airport and will do a lot to avoid it. Orlando is fine. ORL is just a bit more in driving time than is TPA to home, so not an issue.

Once again, thank you everyone. I appreciate your expert advice for this newbie.

Price is the driver only in that I think a price of 6k per person for a business class airline ticket, one way, from London to Tampa is ludicrous. But, I could be unrealistic in my expectations as well.

Oh, I LOVE the idea of the train from Cincinnatti to Tampa. We've traveled by train a lot in the past, never found anything much to complain about. We usually get the handicapped accomodations and it's fine.

Just to be clear---there is no train from Cincinnati to Tampa----train for thread starter Steffisews is Penn Station in NYC to Tampa. Poster Calliope lives near Cincinnati and will take train from Penn Station in NYC to Cincinnati. Two different routes--not connected.

If someone would want to take a train from Cincinnati to Tampa, they would first need to go Cincinnati to somewhere like Washington DC and then DC to Tampa… US train system is not widespread---unfortunately.

Maybe Steffisews mis-typed… My fingers do that all the time!!!!

In any event, if Steffisews is interested in train, I recommend booking early. Fare will increase and sleeping rooms will get sold out.

The best for your wonderful trip!

I think the problem might be solved by Aer Lingus. Yes, we could have changed our departure date to the 12th and returned on the Queen. That was starting to look like a good choice, and we were fine with doing it. What I truly wanted to avoid was a scenario where we wound up having to pay those big prices to get back to the US and then still face another flight from say NY to Tampa. Or worse, Miami to Tampa. I loathe the Miami airport and will do a lot to avoid it. Orlando is fine. ORL is just a bit more in driving time than is TPA to home, so not an issue.

Once again, thank you everyone. I appreciate your expert advice for this newbie.

The cost of your business class (or any class) airfare from London may be higher because it is a one way ticket. Sometimes round trip tickets are cheaper.

I know you have gotten a lot of suggestions. If you want to take the QM2 from England back to NYC, you can get a non stop flight from JFK to Tampa on Delta. Right now those flights (even in first class) are very reasonable.

Very best wishes for whatever you decide to do. Enjoy your trip!!