Has anyone done a Murder Mystery dinner?

We're sailing on the Explorer in a few months, and one of the dining options is a murder mystery dinner. We've done a few of those with friends in a variety of different ways (in restaurants, in homes, etc) and loved them. Not sure whether it's worth doing one on a cruise, though. Our time on board is precious! Do any of you have any advice?

We enjoyed the experience. The cost isn't bad considering you would pay a portion of the cost for the specialty restaurant. The show is campy, but fun, and includes a pre-dinner drink and wine with dinner.

My favorite part was getting to meet some of the performers on the first night of the cruise. We enjoyed seeing them perform on stage later in the cruise and ran into a few of them in other venues throughout the week.

If you enjoy the shows on land, I think you will enjoy the on-board experience as well.

:)

It was all a bit hokey and so overacted. You didn't really get much of a chance to question the cast. Food was good and it was all a bit of fun, but expect the acting/drama all to be a bit OTT. I did on the Independence. Worth giving it a shot.

It is hokey, over-the-top, and so much fun. We did it on the Freedom and met in Olive-or-Twist to set the stage, have snacks and drinks, and then moved down to Portofino for dinner and the rest of the show. One person who guessed the killer correctly won a nice basket of goodies. The price included all the wine you wanted and a choice of two or three entrees along with appetizer and dessert. It was well worth the price and I would definitely do it again.

My husband and I are both hard of hearing but do pretty well in most cases. With the murder mystery, once we moved into the main dining room, we were behind the actors/actresses (they kept their backs to us and we couldn't hear a thing they were saying). Total waste of time for us......

We did it on the indy a while ago. It was great innthe fact we.met a great couple who we then spent time with on the cruise. And the food was good. But the murder mystery itself was rubbish. Over acting, made no sense, I wouldn't do it again

We did it on the Explorer and it was a lot of fun. like everyone else said, over the top, but fun to try once. The only thing I was a little upset about was that they do not have a kids price. I feel like the kids do not drink wine so they should have a lower price. My kids were 16 and 14 at the time. It was fun to do once but I don't think I would do it again.

Loralie

I have read a few threads about the mystery dinner, and in general what people are saying is pretty usual. We did it and agree, acting is corny, but the company makes the evening. Food was nice, but I would prefer to have just the standard night at the speciality restaurant where we could choose from the full menu.

I would not say it suits kids/teenagers at all. They would find it boring, and I would presume that is why the pricing would have nothing to encourage kids to come. There are many activities on board suited to young people, and this is not one of them.

Thanks for your perspectives everyone! We're ok with the campy, overacted murder mystery thing, but because we can do that at home, we might just skip the ship's version.

For those of you who haven't done it, hosting one with family and friends is a blast. :)

We did it on a voyager class ship, and the food was great!

Unfortunately, the restaurant was so packed we couldn't hear the performance. We were lucky to hear the person next to us. And I didn't care to be seated at a table of at least 12. They don't have tables that large for regular dining, so why must they have them for a special dinner that costs more.

Sorry to disagree. We did this several years ago and were very disappointed. I do amateur drama (community theatre) and the standards of acting and presentation were not good at all. For people who are paid to perform, the standard was poor. The food was limited in choice and felt rushed. We wished we had just gone to Portofino on another evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are both hard of hearing but do pretty well in most cases. With the murder mystery, once we moved into the main dining room, we were behind the actors/actresses (they kept their backs to us and we couldn't hear a thing they were saying). Total waste of time for us......

Glad for that tid bit. I have the same problem and miss a lot of speaking entertainment such as comediens.