re guarantee cabins

delgirl

We almost always go with a guarantee room, and we always just "discover" the cabin number in our documents on the website. We have been notified by our TA that there has been a change in our reservations and to check our documents, but that is usually days after we have already "discovered" our room assignment.

As time gets closer to cruise date, you just can't help yourself, you have to keep checking your docs to see if the assignment is there. At least that is how we are.....

On my last couple of cruises I have received an email that my reservation had changed. I book thru a PCC, so if you use a TA that email would most likely go to them

Edited by richwmn

We book with a TA and on our last two cruises we discovered the room assignment on our docs on line ... And about a day later we received an email from HAL that said our booking had been changed.

I'm not sure when they work but I'm guessing just weekdays.

We got our Med itin assignment last year only 5 days before. We're boarding in 10 days time and no allocation yet.

Last year we booked a VH guarantee and got an accessible VA.

Does anyone think that the later you get allocated, the better the potential upgrade?

I'm just being optimistic of course!!:D

Edited by richardukcruise

Does anyone think that the later you get allocated, the better the potential upgrade?

I sure don't.

The one time I booked a guarantee, my assignment came well under the 10-day mark. Not only did I get a cabin in the category I booked, it was in a lousy location: well forward of the forward elevators. :rolleyes: Yuck.

still no cabin assignment. do they work these on weekends or just weekdays?????
Yes - of our 9 guarantees we got one assignment on a Saturday evening and one on a Sunday evening.
I don't. The assignments we've gotten around 10 or 11 days out were better, with the exception of once when we got a re-assignment at 3 days out. On that one I think we were the beneficiaries of a cancellation.

Edited by jtl513

When assigning the guarantees, it's most likely that they fill the best of the available cabins first and work there way down to the worst. That way, if they sail with less than 100% occupancy, no one can complain that there were better, vacant cabins available. So, as others have said, the earlier the better.

When assigning the guarantees, it's most likely that they fill the best of the available cabins first and work there way down to the worst.
That's logical, but OTOH they could hold out some upper cabins in the hopes of upselling them, and finally give up and assign them at the end. Maybe that's what happened when we got a re-assignment at 3 days out. Edited by jtl513

That's logical, but OTOH they could hold out some upper cabins in the hopes of upselling them, and finally give up and assign them at the end. Maybe that's what happened when we got a re-assignment at 3 days out.[/size][/font]

You're quite right, they probably do hold back some of them. In the end, it's all the luck of the draw. We have a guarantee on the Oosterdam next month for the first time and are keeping our fingers crossed. :)

When checking online for your cabin assignment, if the main page still shows no cabin assignment, remember to check your "print luggage tags" page. We have had our cabin number show on the tags before it posts on the main page.

And we have had a great upgrade in cabin assigned 1 day before sailing, so we can't say all the good upgrades go early. We also have been assigned to exactly the cabin category booked, with the cabin number posted 14 days prior to sailing. And we've also had a cabin assigned 8 days out, then received an upgraded one at check-in. So we don't try to second guess when booking guarantees. Once they print my room card when boarding the ship is when I know for sure what cabin I'm in. As long as I get on the ship - I'm happy!!! :)

Edited by Davidson Duo

When assigning the guarantees, it's most likely that they fill the best of the available cabins first and work there way down to the worst. That way, if they sail with less than 100% occupancy, no one can complain that there were better, vacant cabins available. So, as others have said, the earlier the better.

I suspect there are so many variables that result in stateroom allocation, so I don't think it's that simple.

Last year we got an upgrade from VH to VA 4 or 5 days prior.

Edited by richardukcruise