YES. Another dining question to this my time dining newbie!

I called today to make reservations for my time dining. I waited to late and unable to reserve due to sailing this weekend. :( Do I go to the dining room desk or reservations desk to reserve a specific time on boarding day? Is it necessary to reserve ahead of time or most of the time you can just be seated fairly quickly?? Thanks so much!!

I called today to make reservations for my time dining. I waited to late and unable to reserve due to sailing this weekend. :( Do I go to the dining room desk or reservations desk to reserve a specific time on boarding day? Is it necessary to reserve ahead of time or most of the time you can just be seated fairly quickly?? Thanks so much!!

You don't need to reserve a time, you can just show up.

However, if you want to reserve a time, go to the MTD desk after you board. That is usually at the entrance to the highest level of the dining room

Edited by clarea

We've never made reservations for MTD (kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion) and never waited more then 5 minutes, if that. It's the only way we dine any more since it allows us to eat on 'our' schedule versus adjusting to a set schedule.

Edited by djandnic

we just walked up our first night and were seated with a great pair. After dinner we set a time and asked to be in their section each night - we had a set seating for the balance of the cruise - but I think we were accommodated earlier one or two nights.

No worries - they will make it work to your needs.

We have done MTD a few times now. On Oasis was our most challenging. We were told after boarding that no early times would be available, that we should have reserved prior to sailing. I thought that was part of the whole MTD appeal so we were a little shocked. We went to the Diamond concierge (who was amazing, BTW!) and she set it up for us in just a couple of minutes. If you are sailing on Oasis class, you might consider holding the time you think you will want. Again, that seems a little against the whole idea of showing up when you want to but that is what we were told. We were glad to have access to the concierge. And, we tipped her well.

We are booked on Freedom Sept 28 and chose my time dining ( first time) so what you are saying is I have to make reservations for my time?? If so where and how do I do that?? Made reservations for the ice show!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we are sailing 30th November and when we booked through the TA they offered us the opportunity to add my time dining as long as we paid the gratuities up front.

This is our first cruise, but the appeal of just showing up to dinner without set time....seemed worth it. Its good to hear that you dont have to reserve a time..

We are booked on Freedom Sept 28 and chose my time dining ( first time) so what you are saying is I have to make reservations for my time?? If so where and how do I do that?? Made reservations for the ice show!! /quote]

You are not required to make reservations for My Time. However, if you want to make reservations, you can use the Cruise Planner section of Royal's website, or you can make reservations on board at the My Time desk.

So we are sailing 30th November and when we booked through the TA they offered us the opportunity to add my time dining as long as we paid the gratuities up front.

This is our first cruise, but the appeal of just showing up to dinner without set time....seemed worth it. Its good to hear that you dont have to reserve a time..

The gratuities cost the same amount whether you pay them before your cruise or during your cruise.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Just to be clear, paying the gratuities in advance is required with MTD, but they are actually charged to your credit card at the time of final payment, not when booked.

If we go right after boarding and set up our dining time (we have MTD) for the same time every night, would we have a choice in tables? There will be 4 of us sitting together alone at a table.

There's a good chance.

Even though the first couple nights were kind of a mess, we were able to get a table for 4 in the same area of the MTD dining room with the same waiter. Worked out well and we really enjoyed it. Have been doing MTD for the last 4 cruises and we were always sure we would hate the option! Live & learn.

Just a note for MTD, without a reservation on formal nights we have had to wait, sometimes 30Min+ for a table. So for formal nights we try to make a reservation. I don't know why it is so crowded until people are hoping for lobster.

• 1 month later...

I have a cruise booked for November. No early seating and we have a 5 yr old. Took My Time Dining and had hoped to reserve an early time online. However, there are no dining options available online. There hasn't been for months- I have checked frequently. I assumed they were waiting for inside the 60 day timeline, but still says too soon or too late to book dining. Will they take a reservation online? We need a relatively early seating because the 5 yr old won't wait and also we'd like to get her to the children's activities. It's only a 4 night cruise and I don't want to spend my time waiting in line for reservations or early dining. I know we can use the buffet, but part of cruising for us is being served in the dining room.