How long to allow for dinner MDR

aussiecruzer

Hi, I am cruising with 4 other couples on Solstice Alaska in a couple of weeks. We all have Select Dining. I was thinking of pre-booking some dinner times on line as we are a group of 10 and all our bookings are linked. What time would you suggest booking dinner if we would like to make 8.30 pm shows comfortably? Also once I book, can we meet at the MDR table or do we all need to enter the MDR together? Thanks for your advice.

Edited by aussiecruzer

I would allow two hours for dinner, and you will need time to find seats in the theater, etc. so I would book for 6 p.m.

The first night you might want to all go together, after that you can probably meet at the table.

With a party of ten you definitely want to pre-book. You might also want to consider doing a table for six and a table for four, because the tables for ten aren't really conducive to conversation.

On a table of 10 I would definately allow 2 hours for dinner in the MDR. The quickest we have ever had dinner on a table of 7 and 8 has been an hour and a half and that's without coffee/tea at the end of the meal. You also need to allow time to get to the theatre from the dining room and us ladies often like to visit the little room.

Hi, I am cruising with 4 other couples on Solstice Alaska in a couple of weeks. We all have Select Dining. I was thinking of pre-booking some dinner times on line as we are a group of 10 and all our bookings are linked. What time would you suggest booking dinner if we would like to make 8.30 pm shows comfortably? Also once I book, can we meet at the MDR table or do we all need to enter the MDR together? Thanks for your advice.

If you are dining at the same time with the same people every night and require a large table why choose Select? Traditional would given you an assigned table for 10. People would not need to walk in together. Traditional dining is set for the shows. It is also quite possible the they will refuse to give you an "assigned" table in Select. I've experienced that many, many times and only wanted a table for 2. Really depends whose in charge of the seating in Select and you don't want to take the risk. Due to my cruising experience with Celebrity I can now pretty much guarantee that I get what my DW prefers, but not 100%.

Even though we have done nothing but Select for years and years on every cruise line, in your situation I agree with the above poster about doing traditional early seating. That way all of your parameters are handled.

Some nights I would book later, for example Juneau when we are in port till 10pm, and I probably wont book a dinner time for the night we are in Victoria from 6pm-midnight, as we have a private tour booked for the group.

Some nights I would book later, for example Juneau when we are in port till 10pm, and I probably wont book a dinner time for the night we are in Victoria from 6pm-midnight, as we have a private tour booked for the group.

You could consider dining in a Specialty restaurant or going to the Oceanview Cafe on those evenings, or even getting something while on shore. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable. But do be prepared to be disappointed if you are in Select dining with a large group.

Woth a party of 8 to 10 it will also be difficult to all sit together in the Theater unless you get there very early. It is also not really necessary to all be seated together.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The shows we just saw on the Infinity in Europe were 8:30 or 9, typically. We had a 6:30 standing reservation in Select for a party of 15 (two tables next to each other). We sometimes made adjustments based on ports (plus the early traditional seating was full when we booked).

Because we had such a large party and often ordered multiple appetizers, it wasn't unusual for dinner to go 2.5 hours.

I would allow two hours for dinner, and you will need time to find seats in the theater, etc. so I would book for 6 p.m.

The first night you might want to all go together, after that you can probably meet at the table.

With a party of ten you definitely want to pre-book. You might also want to consider doing a table for six and a table for four, because the tables for ten aren't really conducive to conversation.

I agree, I would start at 6:00.

We generally take two hours for dinner, what's the rush.

We generally take two hours for dinner, what's the rush.

OP just wants to make sure they have plenty of time for dinner before the show.

I would be there at 6 p.m. sharp and would give at least 2 hours. We have found select can be faster unless all the diners have multiple choices. However, we have had dinners for 8 that have taken 2.5 hours. In our April TA, they moved first seating to 5:30 for traditional dining. Most nights we were not out of the dining room until close to 8. Takes longer now that the assistant waiters have little involvement

We had a table for 10 on our Baltic cruise (early traditional) We swapped the seating arrangement each night so we could chat with different friends each night. The waiters caught on fast and still knew what everyone liked no matter where we sat. If there was a late port we just told them a head of time and we ate at the buffet. It worked perfectly:) Reservations not necessary lol:D