Transportation to beach and beach recommendations.

crazycruzer68

When you get off the ship just ask a taxi driver to take you to a decent beach in the Condado area (closer but less choices)/ or the Isla Verde area (longer cab ride but a little nicer beaches) San Juan is not known for the beaches.... the Old City and its historic charm is what makes it great.

We bypassed the Condado area and went to the Isla Verde. Here's the research I did on both beaches before we went:

Condado:

There is the Condado Beach that is a bit closer. Have the driver drop you at Ashford and Condado, there is a Walgreens on the corner where you can pick up snacks and drinks (beer too). Walk the short block to the beach. There is a guy renting beach chairs for $5. There are no public restrooms but you are close to the stores and restaurants and can find one there. Have a drink at the Atlantic Hotel Beach Bar and you can use one there.

Isla Verde:

As soon as you get off the ship there will be small buses lined up. They will approach you, don't worry. I was concerned that we had nothing booked either. We had a great driver, suggested we stop at a 7-eleven type store to buy snacks and beer and coolers. He dropped us right off at a store and we walked down the dead end street to the beach. He actually came on the beach to let us know he was there to bring us back to the ship...Great guy, lots of fun! $4.00 pp each way.

The beach to go to in Isla Verde is called: Pine Grove Beach

If you are going to go to Condado Beach you might as well find a beach in NY, If you can find a way to get to any other beach ( Taxi, Rental Car ) You will not be sorry. I've always said if you go to PR try to go into the country side if you have time. It is so beautiful and the water on the beaches are so crystal clear.

If you are going to go to Condado Beach you might as well find a beach in NY, If you can find a way to get to any other beach ( Taxi, Rental Car ) You will not be sorry. I've always said if you go to PR try to go into the country side if you have time. It is so beautiful and the water on the beaches are so crystal clear.

Ok, not a fan of Conrado that's ok!

So that's the name of some of the other beaches you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do any of you have photos of any if the beaches you were at?

We were on a cruise on Carnival Valor in May 2013 out of San Juan. We flew down a day before our cruise and stayed at a hotel at Isla Verde Beach (5 minutes from airport, 20 minutes from cruise ship pier) and spent the afternoon and some time the next morning on Isla Verde Beach before we had to check out of the hotel and head to the cruise terminal to board Valor. I did a review of the cruise and the link to it is in my signature. There are several pictures of Isla Verde Beach that are all on the first page of the review. We really enjoyed Isla Verde Beach and thought it was very nice, but we also have not been to any of the other beaches in San Juan. As mentioned by others, Condado Beach is closer. I see Dirkgun commented and he also has two Carnival Victory reviews with links in his signature (Valor took Victory's place in San Juan in February 2013) with pictures and I believe there are some of Condado Beach in his reviews.

Just back from 4 days in PR. The BEST beach I saw is the small, protected beach next to the Hilton Condado Plaza Hotel. Water is very calm, there are coral reefs there, $5 chair rentals but no snorkel rentals.

The other beaches in Condado are very rough most of the time, but not this one next to the Hilton. You can also rent pedal boats and stand up paddleboards.

There's also a very cool fitness area that is now on my bucket list!

Taxi should be $16 one way regardless of number of riders. Lots of natural shade.

Haven't posted photos yet.

Just back from 4 days in PR. The BEST beach I saw is the small, protected beach next to the Hilton Condado Plaza Hotel. Water is very calm, there are coral reefs there, $5 chair rentals but no snorkel rentals.

The other beaches in Condado are very rough most of the time, but not this one next to the Hilton. You can also rent pedal boats and stand up paddleboards.

There's also a very cool fitness area that is now on my bucket list!

Taxi should be $16 one way regardless of number of riders. Lots of natural shade.

Haven't posted photos yet.

I would love to see pictures. Post 1 on here if you don't mind.

I would love to see pictures. Post 1 on here if you don't mind.

Here is the beach at Condado Lagoon between Caribe Hilton and Condado Plaza Hilton. It is a nice little protected inlet. The beach is bigger on the right but did not get that in a picture.

DSC02121_zps3a3e425c.jpg

Here is the beach at night.... I know not a lot of help but we did not spend a ton of time on the beach here.

DSC02090.jpg

Ha, ha! It did not look that busy on Tue when I passed! Timing is everything, and I think if you get there before near noon in off season, it should be less crowded.

Yeah this was the day after Christmas in 2012. so High season and day after a holiday.

Adding a few pictures of Isla Verde Beach. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott, which is the last resort on the eastern side.

Views toward the west and the resorts along Isla Verde Beach:

100_6033.jpg

Views toward the east and beyond the resorts, it won't be as crowded down in this section:

100_6032.jpg

A couple of views from the 8th floor of the hotel:

100_6132.jpg

100_6145-1.jpg

View from the top part of the beach facing east and section of beach with the resorts to give you an idea how wide the beach is:

100_6155-1.jpg

The water was a beautiful color in the morning (this was about 10:30AM):

100_6156-1.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Our first time in San Juan and we just want to hang at a nice beach without paying for an excursion. Any suggestions, all adults traveling.

Would you consider up to a maximum of 1 hour in a taxi.

If so, then Palomino Island could be a good selection.

Contact the concierge at the El Conquistador Hotel and book a day pass via the Hotel. The day fee will also cover the ferry to Palomino.

Last time think it was only around $130.00 for all 4 of us.

The Hotel Concierge at El C will assist you in every aspect.

Link to the Island

http://caribbeantrading.com/take-day...lomino-island/

Link to Hotel

http://www.elconresort.com

Is there a cvs or walgreens near isla verde beach that we can buy beer and snacks?

would like to know if there is a place to buy drinks and snacks near there also

When we stayed there, it was one night pre-cruise, so we didn't venture off the Courtyard property. I just looked on "Google Maps" and there appears to be a Walgreens just west of the Ritz Carlton San Juan. The Ritz shares the same beach as the Courtyard but is a few blocks west if looking at the Google Map. It's not right along the beach, but within a couple of blocks and fairly close. I did a screen shot of the Google Map view and labeled the Walgreens, the Ritz Carlton and the Courtyard by Marriott. Hope this helps.

Isla%20Verde%20labeled.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan