Best/Most useful souvenir from Alaska

Fengsters

I know you can't carry on a Ulu knife onto a plane, but what about getting it on the ship? We had a WOODEN machetti taken from us at St. Marteen one year and it had a wooden blade on it. My travel agent said Princess allows knives only up to 7 cm. I know that knife is larger than that.

Anyone had issues?

I bought several as gifts on our last trip and took them to the post office then mailed them home in one of their flat rate boxes. Easy as could be.

My husband planned a fun activity for our 9 Grandchildren on our recent Alaskan Cruise. He gave each of our Grandchildren a crisp $10 bill in an envelope with a note that said they were supposed to select the best souvenir they could find without spending more than $10. They could spend less but not more. There were prizes awarded at the end of the cruise when we had judging (everyone got a prize).

These are a few things of the things they got: Lapel Pins & magnets from State Capital in Juneau, t-shirts, animal hats, rocks, antique bottle, wooden fire truck from Salvation Army in Ketchikan, refrigerator magnet, stuffed animals, jewelry & puppet.

I personally collect Christmas Nativity Sets and always try to buy one whenever I travel. I have purchased two from my different trips to Alaska and an assortment of Christmas ornaments. I try to purchase those items that are made by locals and aren't mass marketed or manufactured in a country other than the country I am visiting.

It was probably Russian not Polish. There are lots of Russian souvenir s as Alaska was originally settled by the Russians.

The Russian shop in Juneau has Polish items, at least the last time I was in it. (Locals tend to avoid Tee Shirt Row) It always has interesting things, along with the usual tourist stuff. Not necessarily 'Alaskan' but the inventory always reminds me of traveling in Eastern Europe.

We are going to Alaska next week, yeah!, and are wondering what sort of things to look for to remember our trip. What has been the best or most useful item you've picked up in your Alaskan travels? We will be in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

Thanks

Thanks for posting this question. I hope you'll enjoy your cruise!

We bought a nice fuzzy husky dog doll for our granddaughter and she absolutely loved it. We also got some great buys on sweatshirts that we wear all the time.

Our first time there, we also figured those Ulu knife sets were great gifts and not that expensive, so we bought several. We made the mistake of putting them in with the rest of our souvenirs and hand carrying them onto the plane. BIG MISTAKE.

Those knives, even though packaged well, set off all sorts of alarms. We then had to take them to luggage, get a box and put them in that and hopefully they will end up with our luggage when we arrive back home. (They Did).

(on a side note, if you buy any sort of snow globes with water in them and want to hand carry that on a plane, another BIG MISTAKE--not allowed) We learned that the hard way also.

Cheers

Len

Let's kick the Ulu idea up a notch: my wife found one two years ago that came with a cutting board that had an ulu-shaped bowl cutout on one side (folks have already mentioned this part) and an ulu-shaped flat cutout on the other side, with magnets. Bingo! The ulu stores itself snug against its mated cutting board.

She couldn't find any last month in Juneau though. :(

An unintended souvenir: I had packed a hooded rain jacket, but left it on the ship one port day. The weather was nice when we arrived in port. Well, you guessed it. The weather changed. I was getting rained on. Instead of going all the way back to the ship, I ducked into the nearest trinket shop. For less than $20 I got a hooded rain jacket. Back at home it was a great dog-walking jacket on rainy days. That cruise was many years ago, but I hear the prices for this type clothing are still very reasonable.

Vicki

My husband planned a fun activity for our 9 Grandchildren on our recent Alaskan Cruise. He gave each of our Grandchildren a crisp $10 bill in an envelope with a note that said they were supposed to select the best souvenir they could find without spending more than $10. They could spend less but not more. There were prizes awarded at the end of the cruise when we had judging (everyone got a prize).

This is a wonderful idea!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I know you can't carry on a Ulu knife onto a plane, but what about getting it on the ship? We had a WOODEN machetti taken from us at St. Marteen one year and it had a wooden blade on it. My travel agent said Princess allows knives only up to 7 cm. I know that knife is larger than that.

Anyone had issues?

BUMP. I am curious about this also. Seems like a ship full of Ulu's could be dangerous in the hands of certain people.

BUMP. I am curious about this also. Seems like a ship full of Ulu's could be dangerous in the hands of certain people.

Those steak knives in the dining room could be dangerous in the hands of certain people too. :rolleyes:

I can just see it now, passengers arguing over saved seats in the theater and suddenly an Ulu fight breaks out. :p

Most definitely that store carries the "good" authentic Polish pottery. I know the stuff. I've been buying it for years all over. They just happen to have a nice selection there. Yes there are Russian things for sale inside, as well as some other tourist items, but the pottery I'm referring to is 100% definitely Polish.

Glacier Silt Soap from Juneau.

I hadn't heard of this place until our last Alaska cruise - our tablemates mentioned that they were going to get some when we stopped in Juneau.

We happen to go past the shack and I picked up a few bars (I like the original best). It is AWESOME. I love the soap and the smell. Last year - I even asked my friend to pick up some more for me when she went.

It's in a little shack on the same side at the cruise ships. In between the Mt. Roberts Tram and the Library.

You won't be disappointed and it's made in Alaska - you can't get much better than that.

Thanks so much for this info! I want the soap and the body cream. Only a few more days! :D

We brought home some wooden "bear claws" that are fantastic for tossing salads and pasta. Like everything, you can get the cheapo ones made in China but the made in Alaska ones weren't more than $15 (that's what we bought). We also brought home several cans of salmon and some packages of smoked salmon - all so different from what you can buy at home! We're down to our last can of salmon; good thing we're going back to Alaska at the end of the month!

In the White Pass Railway shop in Skagway we bought a beer bottle opener made from an old rail spike, with the White Pass Railway logo hammered into the top. Everyone who sees it, comments on it.

OMG - I would love to get one of those! Useful, unique, memorable... a perfect souvenir!

I love this idea.... and might even use it for myself!

We saile on the last NB cruise on the Radiance of the Seas in 2012. We found most of the stores were having end of season sales. [they were great]

You should be able to get these too.

I bought my ulu knife at the gift shop at Potlach Park in Ketchikan. It was 1/2 price, native made and had a carved handle of a fish. There are stickers on the items if they are made in Alaska and another if it is a native-made item.

I got a pack of four different Alaska Wild Teas. From what I can tell from the label, the teas are made from real fruit herbs from Alaska. The company on the label says they are located in anchorage. Has four bags each of: Cranberry, Raspberry, Wild Rose, and Blueberry.

When we cruised through Glacier Bay last year the Alaska Geographic Assn was on board with information, and selling a few items. My husband purchased a hat which has no picture on it, just the classy bear and paw logo of the AGA and tiny writing on the side. It cost about $20 and we considered it a donation to the AGA, but he loves that hat. (Unfortunately it was not made in Alaska!)

We also purchased $10 packages of salmon jerky from Taku in Juneau, and cans of smoked Salmon on Creek Street. They lasted us most of the winter and are looking forward to our cruise end of September to stock up on more.

• 2 weeks later...
I can just see it now, passengers arguing over saved seats in the theater and suddenly an Ulu fight breaks out. :p

This made me burst out with a laugh.

My first cruise to Alaska is coming up soon, I cannot wait to see what little treasures I uncover. Thanks for the ideas!

Whatever you buy, look for the "made in Alaska" identification. If it looks like something made by Alaskan indigenous peoples, there is another identification that confirms this.

If the item is cheap, it most definitely was made somewhere other than AK,

DON

. We also brought home several cans of salmon and some packages of smoked salmon - all so different from what you can buy at home! We're down to our last can of salmon; good thing we're going back to Alaska at the end of the month!

Most of the salmon shops in AK have WEB sites and they ship. Not saying that you should not go back but you do not have to.

DON

Glacier Silt Soap from Juneau.

I hadn't heard of this place until our last Alaska cruise - our tablemates mentioned that they were going to get some when we stopped in Juneau.

We happen to go past the shack and I picked up a few bars (I like the original best). It is AWESOME. I love the soap and the smell. Last year - I even asked my friend to pick up some more for me when she went.

It's in a little shack on the same side at the cruise ships. In between the Mt. Roberts Tram and the Library.

You won't be disappointed and it's made in Alaska - you can't get much better than that.

Thanks for this tip! I used to buy soap from a shop in Ketchikan, but the last 2 cruises they have been out of business. I'll look for the shop in Juneau, thanks to you!