This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

You do realize that without non smokers HAL would be bankrupt right? Enjoy it while it lasts. At these fire sale prices it won't be for long :rolleyes:

Exactly. Maybe Hal should start a cruiseline that caters to smokers only. You can smoke everywhere for 5 times the price :D. No non smokers allowed. I wonder how long a cruise line like that would last. Probably a long time since smokers are the only ones that spend money, gamble and buy Neptune suites :D;). Then the smokers would be complaining because it's too smoky.

Edited by cruz chic

The old guard is not all comprised of smokers. ;)

There are a great many seniors who either never smoked or gave it up years ago. You may wish for a new guard on HAL and probably are not alone but there are definitely some 'young uns' among the smokers who probably will continue to smoke on HAL's verandahs. Getting rid of senior will not get rid of smoking. HAL has to do that in order for verandahs to be smoke free.

Wasn't implying that the old guard were smokers. More that they will stick with HAL no matter what the smoking policy. They'll stay for perks, familiarity, love of the product, etc

I think she meant the old guard of HAL loyalists who will continue to sail Hal no matter what the policy is (or how the line has changed). I agree that now the new guard does include people who want to smoke on their balconies. I don't see a change coming in the near future, no reason for them to change.

See Cruise Junky--I got what you meant, we were posting at the same time.

Edited by mountainmare

I think she meant the old guard of HAL loyalists who will continue to sail Hal no matter what the policy is (or how the line has changed). I agree that now the new guard does include people who want to smoke on their balconies. I don't see a change coming in the near future, no reason for them to change.

I agree. I don't see it changing in the near term. To say it will never change is wishful thinking.

This was tried by Carnival (or Princess, I forget specifically) and failed. There is no feasible way to inventory an entire side to smokers.

Actually you would be setting one side to 'non smoking' and the other side to 'smoking or don't mind' so it is not quite as cut and dried.

Actually you would be setting one side to 'non smoking' and the other side to 'smoking or don't mind' so it is not quite as cut and dried.

Every non smoker I know hates the smell of smoke. While some folks say they don't mind, No way is it going to balance out to 50/50.

Edited by cruz chic

THANK YOU SCM1848. I'm with you all the way. Neptune Suites are the best and I like to smoke on my veranda with a glass of wine or a Knob Creek or Maker's Mark. I wish all these damn non-smokers would change to other cruise lines and stop with this constant barrage of complaints. HAL will not change the policy. Get Over It and Get a Life.

Sailing on Koningsdam on Oct.24 th. Will be in cabin 6017. No Neptune suites near me right?! Aaaagh :eek:

Every non smoker I know hates the smell of smoke. While some folks say they don't mind, No way is it going to balance out to 50/50.

I never said it would be 50/50 - some people make decisions on other factors than just 'might I get a whiff of tobacco smoke'. They consider all factors to make a value for money judgement. Clearly smoking is high on your list of factors - for many others it is not the be all and end all.

I know many people - both smokers and non-smokers; those who hate smoke and those who could not care less. Everybody is different and they have different priorities. There is a small cabal of like-minded people constantly posting to this thread - there are millions of other people out there with different views to yours. HAL are catering to a wider audience than you would wish - that's life - that's business.

Smoking rates decreasing with each younger generation, more berths on ships to fill than ever before. It is not difficult to see where this is going.

I've let HAL know that our under 40 non-smoking family (not couple) will not be paying premiums for their balcony space in Alaska until their policy changes. And if I can get a balcony elsewhere without worry of smelling smoke at similar rates, I'm not going to opt for an inside or oceanview with HAL either.

I don't pretend for a second that my opinion is more valid as anyone elses, just stating simple facts that I am a generation or two younger than many on this forum and at some point HAL will have to look at what it needs to gain more customers like me as some of their current clientele ages out and the overall customer profile shifts to a younger one with less smokers and more potential to spend over a greater length of time.

So maybe HAL will be the big hold out in the industry, but it's only a matter of time anyways, and I would not put it in any sort of double digit years or even in to next decade.

Smoking rates decreasing with each younger generation, more berths on ships to fill than ever before. It is not difficult to see where this is going.

I've let HAL know that our under 40 non-smoking family (not couple) will not be paying premiums for their balcony space in Alaska until their policy changes. And if I can get a balcony elsewhere without worry of smelling smoke at similar rates, I'm not going to opt for an inside or oceanview with HAL either.

I don't pretend for a second that my opinion is more valid as anyone elses, just stating simple facts that I am a generation or two younger than many on this forum and at some point HAL will have to look at what it needs to gain more customers like me as some of their current clientele ages out and the overall customer profile shifts to a younger one with less smokers and more potential to spend over a greater length of time.

So maybe HAL will be the big hold out in the industry, but it's only a matter of time anyways, and I would not put it in any sort of double digit years or even in to next decade.

Not everyone on this forum is 90 years old.

I never said it would be 50/50 - some people make decisions on other factors than just 'might I get a whiff of tobacco smoke'. They consider all factors to make a value for money judgement. Clearly smoking is high on your list of factors - for many others it is not the be all and end all.

I know many people - both smokers and non-smokers; those who hate smoke and those who could not care less. Everybody is different and they have different priorities. There is a small cabal of like-minded people constantly posting to this thread - there are millions of other people out there with different views to yours. HAL are catering to a wider audience than you would wish - that's life - that's business.

If it was only a whiff of smoke it wouldn't be a problem. Chain smoking isn't a whiff. 1/2 of the ship is 50 percent. Why do smokers always feel the need to point out who is posting on this thread? That is not the topic on this thread. Some posters say the most outrageous things then wonder why their posts disappear.

If it was only a whiff of smoke it wouldn't be a problem. Chain smoking isn't a whiff. 1/2 of the ship is 50 percent. Why do smokers always feel the need to point out who is posting on this thread? That is not the topic on this thread. Some posters say the most outrageous things then wonder why their posts disappear.

To try to balance out some of the hyperbole and hysteria - that's why.

HAL are taking a balanced view on this issue - you do not agree with their balance - others can see the other side of the argument and are entitled to post those views as well.

HAL are taking a balanced view on this issue - you do not agree with their balance - others can see the other side of the argument and are entitled to post those views as well.

I never said they weren't. When people compare themselves to historic figures that's not really logical. Ymmv. Telling non smokers to get lost and get a life isn't helpful either.

I never said they weren't. When people compare themselves to historic figures that's not really logical. Ymmv. Telling non smokers to get lost and get a life isn't helpful either.

I do not understand what that sentence is supposed to mean.:confused:

Nowhere did I say to non smokers to 'get lost and get a life' either.:confused:

I stand by my statement about hyperbole and hysteria (see quote).

There is no balance. I cannot book a non smoking section balcony. Until I can there is zero balance and 100% in favor of smokers.

Wasn't implying that the old guard were smokers. More that they will stick with HAL no matter what the smoking policy. They'll stay for perks, familiarity, love of the product, etc

Really?

Actually, you are quite mistaken.

I have sailed more than 80+ cruises on HAL; am a Platinum Medallion Holder, always have sailed in Neptune or Pinnacle (Penthouse at the time) suites and I sailed NCL for the first time last summer.

I cannot put up with the chance I will pay 200% as a solo traveler and will not have use of my verandah due to HAL's smoking policy. My verandah is more important to me now that I have lost my DH than ever before. I currently have no HAL cruises booked.

Generalizations are rarely a good idea. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

Really?

Actually, you are quite wrong.

I have sailed more than 80+ cruises on HAL; am a Platinum Medallion Holder, always have sailed in Neptune or Pinnacle (Penthouse at the time) suites and I sailed NCL for the first time last summer.

I cannot put up with the chance I will pay 200% as a solo traveler and will not have use of my verandah due to HAL's smoking policy. My verandah is more important to me now that I have lost my DH than ever before. I currently have no HAL cruises booked.

Generalizations are rarely a good idea. ;)

Then why are you assuming I was referring to you? I do think there will be staunch supporters of HAL no matter what for a variety of reasons. You're obviously not one of them.

See Cruise Junky--I got what you meant, we were posting at the same time.

Please see my above post for what 'she' meant. :) :)

Then why are you assuming I was referring to you? I do think there will be staunch supporters of HAL no matter what for a variety of reasons. You're obviously not one of them.

Your post #3103 quoted me. That gave me the idea you were referring to me. :) Something of a clue, don't 'ya think? :) You quoted me and then wrote a direct statement. You didn't qualify it that I could see.

Edited by sail7seas

I was referencing 'my post'.....

don't know why you think I was referencing yours? :confused:

When I said 'she' in my post, I meant ME. :D I have no idea if you are male or female.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree with much of what you say - it is just a matter of time before HAL wakes up and catches up with this century.;) However, my observation is that very few of the "older" HAL passengers actually smoke. But to your point, even fewer of the "younger" generation smokes, because they are educated, whereas smoking was literally promoted and pushed to my generation. The majority, however, have been smart enough to quit, IMO.

Yes, HAL has probably attracted a few die-hard (pun intended) smokers from other lines, but I don't believe it is that many. And certainly not enough to fill one side of a ship.:rolleyes: It's kind of sad really when you think of it, how smoking can even dictate someone's choice of a vacation. It's very unfortunate that just one smoker can really impact several balcony neighbours. For those of us who have built up loyalty benefits, having smokers tell us to go elsewhere does not sit well. Fortunately, as I said before, HAL will eventually see the light.

I do not understand what that sentence is supposed to mean.:confused:

Nowhere did I say to non smokers to 'get lost and get a life' either.:confused:

I stand by my statement about hyperbole and hysteria (see quote).

Where did I say you said it? If you've read this thread recently you'd know what I'm talking about. See post 3094 telling non smokers to get a life.

Edited by cruz chic

This thread seems to bring the best/worst out in today's society. It's all about me and what someone else does is wrong. Seems like most people have an ANTI something now a days and follow whatever radical or unproven science they chose. As a smoker and long time cruiser I have witnessed the changes and attitudes over the years and it goes along with the way Society has become. More people die on cruises from being intoxicated and doing stupid things than die from second hand smoke. Safety is not the issue either while smoking on board a ship or they wouldn't have smokers go to the top decks where the wind is most likely to blow cigarettes back into the ship. If the cruise lines were to expand the smoking areas, second hand smoke wouldn't be a problem. I don't like the smell in the tightly confined areas but you have to admit it's always where they make the most money. Open balconies on the seas doesn't affect your health any more than driving around town in your vehicle. I've never seen anyone complain about obesity, the number one health crisis. I know it's all about choice. Am I rambling and not make sense to most, yep. Just tell me if I can smoke on a ship and where the areas are and be consistent then I will make make plans accordingly. Don't care one way or the other if I cruise again. Most Cruise Lines have become no more than a Motel 6 with a Chinese buffet next door. The elegance of cruising has long gone.