Disgusted Cruiser

Disclosure: this is a rant, as such if you feel you will be offended, leave this page now and don't read on.

To begin with, I am disgusted with what the cruise industry in Australia has come to and the future is bleak. I have been on 6 cruises my first being in 2005 on the Sapphire Princess. I have also been working in the industry for a number of years. In 9 years, the cruising demographics have changed considerably, I fear for the worst. There has been a mass infiltration of the elderly older demographic in all cruise lines. Having worked with carnival cruise lines, it originally was a younger and family demographic and now it has drastically changed to have a large proportion of older people. It is drastically worse on Princess Cruises which is almost like a nursing home aboard, let alone holland america and world cruises. Even other lines like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are very much the same case. It is true that the Austrlians are not brand loyal, and price seams to determine how you cruise. It is evident in Carnival Cruises now. This situation is in the whole australian market and is putting off first time cruisers for life. It sickens when people complain about carnival, when they are paying cheaper and expecting a princess product and complaining about young people. I have experienced this first hand. I understand it is affordable, but by the end of the decade, I fear it will only be 100% old people cruising. This will inevitably lead to the cruise industry essentially 'dying out.'

Again this is my own view, not reflecting any of the companies I have mentioned.

Disclosure: this is a rant, as such if you feel you will be offended, leave this page now and don't read on.

To begin with, I am disgusted with what the cruise industry in Australia has come to and the future is bleak. I have been on 6 cruises my first being in 2005 on the Sapphire Princess. I have also been working in the industry for a number of years. In 9 years, the cruising demographics have changed considerably, I fear for the worst. There has been a mass infiltration of the elderly older demographic in all cruise lines. Having worked with carnival cruise lines, it originally was a younger and family demographic and now it has drastically changed to have a large proportion of older people. It is drastically worse on Princess Cruises which is almost like a nursing home aboard, let alone holland america and world cruises. Even other lines like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are very much the same case. It is true that the Austrlians are not brand loyal, and price seams to determine how you cruise. It is evident in Carnival Cruises now. This situation is in the whole australian market and is putting off first time cruisers for life. It sickens when people complain about carnival, when they are paying cheaper and expecting a princess product and complaining about young people. I have experienced this first hand. I understand it is affordable, but by the end of the decade, I fear it will only be 100% old people cruising. This will inevitably lead to the cruise industry essentially 'dying out.'

Again this is my own view, not reflecting any of the companies I have mentioned.

Us oldies sure have a lot to answer for.I feel terrible now.

In fact so terrible I'm going to book another cruise....By the way what ship are you going on next...I'll join you :cool:

Sorry, I can't agree. I have been a few cruises this year and found to a have a range of ages on board across various lines.

What is your definition of old? i.e give us a age range because various people views differ on what is old.

I'm in my mid 40s. Do you consider me old?

Sorry, but I have to agree with icat2000 here, I have been on two cruises this year one with Princess and one with P&O and I have found on both cruises a good range of ages.

But when you start doing cruises over 20+ days, you are going to encounter more older people (For me older people are over 70).

So you want old [whatever that means] people to stop cruising and think that somehow that will cause the industry to grow?

What a great idea!

You say you work in the industry, I would expect you woud be grateful that more people were cruising after all they pay your wage.

I'm 33 years old and not exactly sure what your point is. Young people have the same opportunity to book cruises as older people do. Older people probably cruise more because they have more time, or funds, or both. Are you suggesting we put a cap on the number of older people allowed on board or restrict them to one cruise line? I have cruised Carnival twice and loved it both times. You would probably find that the older people on cruise ships are ones that have worked and contributed to our country for many, many years and are now taking a well deserved break. As for the cruise industry in Australia "dying out", if you worked in the industry (as you claim you do), you would know that the complete opposite is true. The only way I could see this happening is if America's economic situation improved considerably and ours collapsed and the ships went back to the USA. And this has nothing to do with older people. I'm not offended by your post, and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, this is just mine.

I suppose I am considered an "old" cruiser since I will turn 72 soon. I remember being 16 and 21 and 30 and 50 and 65, etc. I dance, gamble, get massages, drink in the martini bars, sing along whenever possible, and am pretty good at trivia. I go to classes and entertainment and play games with fellow passengers. My friends consider me lots of fun - and isn't it nice that now that the children are grown, jobs have come and gone and I am a regular at Fred Astaire Studio to have the money to cruise!! I always look for a variety of ages on a cruise and can always find new friends in many age groups. People like us keep the cruise ships afloat - and pay lots of salaries that keep families going. All I hope is that I don't meet you on a cruise!

We may be "older generation" but at least we are enjoying our senior years, getting involved in activities on board, seeing the world and generally having fun. Perhaps we should all be in nursing homes staring at a wall. I feel like hitting the poster with my walking stick!:D

PS I still walk unaided! LOL.

. I understand it is affordable, but by the end of the decade, I fear it will only be 100% old people cruising. This will inevitably lead to the cruise industry essentially 'dying out.'

On the contrary . You are completely wrong and are failing to understand demographics. The number of "old" people will never die out , as every year more and more people enter that age group.

I look forward to cruising with you when you enter that bracket as well. We are a growing number and every year there are more and more of us.What may limit the Numbers is the govt stopping people retiring at 65 and enforcing them to work on in their twilight years.

And Yes , cruising is more affordable now .

What used to be the domain of the rich and privileged is now available to the mass market.

We ,the great unwashed are cruising in record numbers.

Look out ...here we come.

Interesting points but don't really know where you are going

The older people travel on longer itineraries, cultural itineraries such as NZ and on more up scaled cruises

Ie princess over p&o and carnival

The budget cruise lines of oz& o and carnival would generally have a younger demographic over the contemporary cruise lines of princess HAL celebrity and royal and definitely over likes of seaborne silversea and crystal. All based on price and what people can afford

I don't see an issue with older people cruising on these cruises as. They don't hinder my cruise enjoyment

The long itineraries have always had an older clientelle so no change here and given we only had one small ship here in 2000 don't know how you justify this claim as proportionately would be solar break down of ages cruising across the board

If you don't like so many older people then cruise a FUN cruise line with other more budget conscious cruisers and you won't have so much of an issue. Or go in school holidays

Enjoy your cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow how insanely ageist!

Who cares if older people cruise a lot, does it take away or strengthen the market for you? I wager it strengthens the industry. Do they not deserve to cruise for some reason? Is their hard earned retirement money not as valuable as yours?

I see more ships cruising out of Australia than ever before so where is the problem? More ships means more choices to the consumer.

If you want a family or party cruise go P&O, otherwise there are a plethora of options for floating retirement homes which I think is a great thing.

Where you see a problem I see an opportunity :)

Each to their own I guess.

Yes I agree. The companies demographical anylasis would most likely not reflect the one you have highlighted....

An Interesting Opinion Cruisercool. I would also be intrested to hear an update on it, in say, 30 years time....

Personally I enjoy a broad spectrum of passengers to mingle with. I'm in my Late 30's, and think a cruise ship full of the same would be less interesting.

There has been a mass infiltration of the elderly older demographic in all cruise lines.

I have been cruising on and off for over 40 years and I simply haven't noticed any change. For example, on my first cruise in 1970 most of the people on board were around my age and again, on my last cruise a few weeks ago, most aboard were around my age :)

I therefore don't see any problem :cool:

Why do I get the feeling that this is a troll post . . .

Very much looks like it, otherwise why post it at all as will not change anything including the fact, that unless you die young you will get old and perhaps go cruising:rolleyes:

Edited by happysnapper
spelling

I am sorry I haven't been able to reply, as I have been working, I am on my break now. FYI I have been working for a number of years with Carnival Corp here in nth Syd. I have done many ship inspections and cruises myself. The demographics are older, I mean over 60 and they have a large penetration (on carnival in recent months it is 50%). Yes they have a right to cruise, I am not by any means refuting that. Yes Australia is ageing, and cruises are affordable holidays. All I am saying is that cruises have become infiltrated by older people. Older people bring in less revenue on lines such as princess or holland america, than revenue streams from carnival which has a younger demographic. Many times in reviews and feedback, it is said that cruises are for old people. Ultimately I see the industry crashing, from the difficulty in filling ships, from passengers choosing price first which lowers the base revenue and lastly onboard revenue decreasing. By all means cruise, it will continue to become of an older demographic as more retire.

Can't see the industry crashing any time soon. It would appear that the industry doesn't share your gloomy analysis judging by how many ships various companies are now sending down under and to the Asian region.

Over 60s have always been part of the cruising industry. If anything, I would say they would be the bread and butter for the industry.