Bayonne Bridge Closing

cruzinlady1947

Does anyone know if the Bayonne Bridge closings affect the route into Cape Liberty? How long will the construction be going on? We leave on August 28th.

Thanks.

Gwen :)

Depends where you are coming from. I believe the Bayonne Bridge is for people coming from Staten Island.

Depends where you are coming from. I believe the Bayonne Bridge is for people coming from Staten Island.

Thanks Bob. Won't be coming from that direction. Wasn't sure where the Bayonne Bridge was. I thought it was the one that you go over right after the NJ turnpike. The one you have to squeeze onto after the toll booths. That's usually a complete mess at that area.

Thanks Bob. Won't be coming from that direction. Wasn't sure where the Bayonne Bridge was. I thought it was the one that you go over right after the NJ turnpike. The one you have to squeeze onto after the toll booths. That's usually a complete mess at that area.

I believe that's the Casciano Bridge, also called the Newark Bay Bridge.

Thanks, I think you should audition for Jeopardy......you have the answers for everything. ;) I'm very impressed and thankful for all that you do when we need answers for something. I think Royal needs to hire you and pay you in free cruises. :p

Or more commonly know as the Turnpike Bridge connecting 14 (Newark Airport) and 14A (Bayonne).

The Bayonne Bridge is at the other end of Bayonne. If you are coming from Staten Island you would use the Goethals Bridge instead of the Bayonne Bridge.

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification from a local.:)

You actually know more than me. I lived in Bayonne over 50 years, and never knew that was what the bridge was named. I've only heard it called either the Newark Bay Bridge or Turnpike Bridge.

We're sailing on August 28th also. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island the night before. Sure hope the shuttle driver knows how to get around the constructions. Love leaving the driving to someone else.

If the Bayonne Bridge is closed, the driver could take the Goethals Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing, as both span NJ & SI. The Goethals is closer to Bayonne.

The Port Authority said that the weekends during which the bridge will be closed are Aug. 1 to 3, Aug. 8 to 10, and Aug. 15 to 17

We are cruising this Sunday, and coming from Long Island, we will have to take the long route to the port, over the Goethals and back over the Newark Bay bridge.

Thanks, I think you should audition for Jeopardy......you have the answers for everything. ;) I'm very impressed and thankful for all that you do when we need answers for something. I think Royal needs to hire you and pay you in free cruises. :p

Gwen, driving to the port, do you eventually end up on Route 78 East around Allentown? If yes, you'll have no problems getting to the port.

The bridge closure is for people coming from the opposite direction.

The Port Authority said that the weekends during which the bridge will be closed are Aug. 1 to 3, Aug. 8 to 10, and Aug. 15 to 17

Yes the Bayonne Bridge will be closed on the dates you mentioned. but the other problem coming from Staten Island is the fact that exit 9 the exit you get off to go to the Bayonne Bridge is closed in both directions. Well I guess exit 14A on the NJ Turnpike and across the Newark Bay Bridge is the best bet.

Edited by Buckeye Geo

Here are the directions to the port from Exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

We're sailing on August 28th also. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island the night before. Sure hope the shuttle driver knows how to get around the constructions. Love leaving the driving to someone else.

we recently stayed at the Hilton Garden for a wedding which shares shuttles with the Hampton Inn. make sure you precook your cruise shuttle. we met a family who had planned to take the shuttle to their cruise, since it was full the ended up taking a taxi. we took the shuttle a couple of times to the ferry and the drivers were all local and very knowledgable about the area.

Thanks, I have used the shuttle before and knew that I had to make reservations. I made the "trip over to the ship" reservations about a month ago but they did not have the book for the return trip in September yet. I just called two days ago and made the return trip shuttle reservation for Sept. 6th since we are doing our first B2B and will be gone for a full two weeks. New England/Canada and then off to Bermuda for a five day trip. Counting the days down.

we recently stayed at the Hilton Garden for a wedding which shares shuttles with the Hampton Inn. make sure you precook your cruise shuttle. we met a family who had planned to take the shuttle to their cruise, since it was full the ended up taking a taxi. we took the shuttle a couple of times to the ferry and the drivers were all local and very knowledgable about the area.

We are thinking of taking the ferry. How does the shuttle from the Hampton Inn work? Does it run often and what about pick up from the ferry station? Thanks!

We are sailing out of Bayonne next Saturday and coming from Long Island. What is the best way to go? Will the Bayonne bridge construction affect us?

There's no Bayonne Bridge closure scheduled for the date of your trip.

Take the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Staten Island, follow the Staten Island Expressway (I-278) west, exit onto 440 north for the Bayonne Bridge, and follow 440 in Bayonne until you see the signs for the cruise terminal entrance at Port Terminal Blvd.

There's no Bayonne Bridge closure scheduled for the date of your trip.

Take the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Staten Island, follow the Staten Island Expressway (I-278) west, exit onto 440 north for the Bayonne Bridge, and follow 440 in Bayonne until you see the signs for the cruise terminal entrance at Port Terminal Blvd.

Thanks! What about a potential demonstration over the Verrazano bridge next Saturday?

Thanks! What about a potential demonstration over the Verrazano bridge next Saturday?

The demonstration is no longer a march across the bridge. The demonstrators will be taking buses and cars. It's impossible to say exactly how much traffic it will add and I don't know what the time frame is. I can tell you that I've crossed the bridge when other events such as bike races were being held and there were delays but we made it to our destination.