El Cheapo Cruises Thread

The websites contradict themselves then.

I got my details off their website (http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options) click on the PDF.

I can see why the prices are different. The prices in the PDF are without gratuities, whereas the prices I quoted from their site are including gratuities.

So ultimately you pay the same price. It's just whether you prefer prices quoted with or without gratuities. :D

I tried to look on the website but unless I put my cruise details in I couldn't get more info, apart from what Big M listed (which I saw some of in FAQ), but I didn't see the 4 day thing.

It's in their Food and drink FAQ:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Drink&faqId=5925

I can see why the prices are different. The prices in the PDF are without gratuities, whereas the prices I quoted from their site are including gratuities.

So ultimately you pay the same price. It's just whether you prefer prices quoted with or without gratuities. :D

That makes sense although they are doing a bit of rounding then.

Ship Name: Pacific Princess Cruise Code: K504 Departure Date: Sunday, 15 February 2015 Cruise Name: Sydney to Hong Kong Nights: 18 Departing: Sydney

From $1266 (obs oceanview), $1383 (Oceanview)

Single $2593 (obs oceanview) $2728 (Oceanview)

Ship Name: Ocean Princess

Cruise Code: 7507

Departure Date: Saturday, 14 March 2015

Cruise Name: Sydney to Singapore

Nights: 20

Departing: Sydney

Inside $1709 pp, Obs Oceanview $1804 pp , Premium Oceanview $1975

Edited by icat2000

Ship Name: Pacific Princess Cruise Code: K504 Departure Date: Sunday, 15 February 2015 Cruise Name: Sydney to Hong Kong Nights: 18 Departing: Sydney

From $1266 (obs oceanview), $1383 (Oceanview)

Single $2593 (obs oceanview) $2728 (Oceanview)

What a complete rort. Can someone (anyone) please explain how Princess can justify charging singles 204.8% of the twin share price? How is it possible to be cheaper for 2 people to sail than 1 person sailing alone? What an absolute rip-off. Disgusting Princess.

What a complete rort. Can someone (anyone) please explain how Princess can justify charging singles 204.8% of the twin share price? How is it possible to be cheaper for 2 people to sail than 1 person sailing alone? What an absolute rip-off. Disgusting Princess.

I guess they have a lot of space to fill up in the ship. You can book the 2 person rate. Just put a second person in the booking and say they didn't turn up. And we are only talking $61 more for the obs oceanview. However, the oceanview is cheaper for a solo by $38.

Its up to the individual, if you don't like the price, you don't buy. It is what it is. I think its a good price for a small ship. Cheaper than what I am paying on the Diamond Princess 19 days leaving on the 27 March in and inside guarantee cabin sailing solo. I paid $2797.

Edited by icat2000

I have no plans or desires to go on this particular cruise. My objection is on principle alone.

This is not the first time I have seen Princess offering single cabins at more than double the twin share price. There is no excuse for it. I accept that many of the expenses are on a per cabin basis and as such I can understand why the solo price would be much higher than twin share - a 70% loading is probably not unfair. Charging more than double is not only unfair, it is unjustifiable, extortionate and a complete rip off.

we know its a rip off but the poor single person gets slugged all the the time and its not only princess, every one does it so you either pay it or stop home

we know its a rip off but the poor single person gets slugged all the the time and its not only princess, every one does it so you either pay it or stop home

Not to the extent that Princess do it. I have purchased more than one cruise with Royal Caribbean with loadings of well under 50%. I regard figures around 70% as being fair, given the "per cabin" nature of many expenses. 105% is a rort, pure & simple.

Yeap. All lines do it. Celebrity and RCL are some of the worse. Princess does have fares at 160% up to 200% for solos. It depends on the cruise.

And they are not single cabins. The cabins available to 1 person can fit anywhere between 1 to 4 people in it depending on the cabin type.

Princess to my knowledge doesn't have solo cabins.

Anyway, you need to put it into context and look at the price as a whole. Is it good value. And in my opinion YES. 18 nights in little ship for that price. Bargain.

Edited by icat2000

Anyway, you need to put it into context and look at the price as a whole. Is it good value. And in my opinion YES. 18 nights in little ship for that price. Bargain.

True. 18 nights for 1 person is about $144/night.

That is around the cost of a hotel room alone, and then you're getting meals, entertainment and transport included on top!

True. 18 nights for 1 person is about $144/night.

That is around the cost of a hotel room alone, and then you're getting meals, entertainment and transport included on top!

This is what I look for - the cost per night. I regularily travel by myself for land based holidays. I have paid more than $200 a night in hotels around the world and have to pay the full cost then. I have no choice.

I have cruised before but they have been with a friend. I want to start cruising solo, so I will be looking for that price per night figure. $144 per night is a price I would pay. Of course lower would be better but I am willing to pay that. I have decided that I won't go above $150 per night when I do book that solo cruise!

I have decided that I won't go above $150 per night when I do book that solo cruise!

Ideally that my benchmark I look for as a solo cruiser. However, sometimes if you really want to do a cruise and its over say Christmas or NYE you have to pay more.

Here an example how Princess gives solo much better deal than RCL over peak times.

Ship Name: Radiance Of The Seas Cruise Code: RD26DEC15 Departure Date: Saturday, 26 December 2015 Cruise Name: South Pacific Nights: 12 Departing: Sydney - Australia

Inside solo $4358 Inside $2179 per person. Solo rate per night $363

Ship Name: Dawn Princess Cruise Code: D601 Departure Date: Monday, 21 December 2015 Cruise Name: South Pacific Nights: 13 Departing: Sydney

Inside solo $3644 Inside $2351 per person. Solo rate per night: $280

Now much Princess is much better for solo cruiser as it goes over Christmas and New Year.

Edited by icat2000

Welcome to Cruise critic sciencegirl1404, I see you only have a few posts. I suggest reading the rules on posting on these threads and roll calls. Here is a link to the guidelines http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines which has a number of segments relating to rules and such. cheers mic :D

Edited by MicCanberra

Whoops, sorry everyone. :) I didn't realise! How can I edit my post to remove the link?

Don't worry about it, if the edit button is gone then it is too late. Hopefully the administrator will be kind. The rules are CCs, personally, I would love to have travel agents mentioned but that may lead to people advertising and that goes against their rules.:D

Ship Name: Voyager Of The Seas

Cruise Code: VY05FEB15

Departure Date: Thursday, 5 February 2015

Cruise Name: New Zealand / Fiji

Nights: 14

Departing: Sydney - Australia

Inside from $739 pp ($1,298 solo) or Ocean view $939 pp or ($1672 solo)

The balcony on that 14 night Voyager has just gone cheap again. On one online sale site it is showing $849! Direct a couple of hundred more. Saw that last night for a short while and before I could post that it disappeared.

So many bargains! We are going on Rhapsody 7th, so no can do :( Happy with the deal we got over a year ago for a JS on that trip anyhow. :)