El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Ship Name: Voyager Of The Seas

Cruise Code: VY05FEB15

Departure Date: Thursday, 5 February 2015

Cruise Name: New Zealand / Fiji

Nights: 14

Departing: Sydney - Australia

Inside from $739 pp ($1,298 solo) or Ocean view $939 pp or ($1672 solo)

I cannot wait til I can cruise out of school holidays. This the almost the same itinerary we did over NYE and the price difference is HUGE!

Love this thread. Hope it continues all year:)

I cannot wait til I can cruise out of school holidays. This the almost the same itinerary we did over NYE and the price difference is HUGE!

Love this thread. Hope it continues all year:)

I am sure we can keep it going as long as the specials keep coming.:D

Wow some good deals coming up now :)

I wanted to go on RCI but P&O put up their cruise for $50 a night could not resist it!

Plus I didn't have to add gratuities on top.

I still not been allocated my cabin number as yet yikes!

Just a question re solo cruisers I've noticed its more expensive than twin so can't you book with two people then say the other person can't make it and just go by yourself or would the price be altered again?

Wow some good deals coming up now :)

I wanted to go on RCI but P&O put up their cruise for $50 a night could not resist it!

Plus I didn't have to add gratuities on top.

I still not been allocated my cabin number as yet yikes!

Just a question re solo cruisers I've noticed its more expensive than twin so can't you book with two people then say the other person can't make it and just go by yourself or would the price be altered again?

I'd say you would still be paying the twin fare rate but it could be cheaper than the solo rate and the 2nd person could get the port charges back....never tried it but I'd like to know too as i'll be sailing solo soon

I disagree, the specials will keep coming, they will just go with the ships to where ever they are deployed in Alaska, Asia, Caribbean or Europe.:D

No need to disagree, the historical evidence is there.

Specials may be out there, but there haven't been many international ones posted to date, not so appealing when you add in the cost of airfares and hassle. :D

Is the extra surcharge worth the risk/worry?

Last one I saw was only about 5% more, and still a good bargain. Guess it depends whether you think that uncertainty is worth it.

RCI seem to be having a lot of specials lately, and prices are decreasing everyday - most of their February cruises are less than $100 a night including tips/gratuities - with the best deal being the 11 night NZ cruise for $72 a night including gratuities.

I booked the 10 night Tasmania cruise on Monday thinking it was a bargain, but it's gone down another $200 now :(

I'm new to this, but how much do you guys normally pay for RCI cruises and what do you consider a bargain? :D

Also, the site is advertising on board credit, did I not receive this because I booked a Interior Guarantee Stateroom?

Edited by istase2000

Also, the site is advertising on board credit, did I not receive this because I booked a Interior Guarantee Stateroom?

Not because an interior guarantee, but because it was a promotional (deep discounted) price.

e.g. if you bought an interior a couple of weeks back at the higher price, it would have gotten OBC.

The regular price is still available, so you could have booked that, but the OBC probably would not have compensated for the extra cost. :-)

When I look at the online TA that some of us look at, the OBC specials always have under them that OBC does not apply to guarantee categories. And the difference in price for guarantees is usually much more than any OBC is worth.

I do agree to that when they are big discounts then nothing else is offered. As a loyalty member I don't get any more balcony discounts either. You can't expect to have every benefit combined, you have to work out what is the best value for your situation.

Thanks guys. It would've costed $1200 more to choose the room... totally not worth the 200 OBC :)

Whereas because of some health issues I won't take a guarantee anymore at any savings, I wish I could, I always got great deals on guarantees in fact my first cruise was a guarantee and got a Balcony for the price of an OV and am now hooked on Balconies.

Whereas because of some health issues I won't take a guarantee anymore at any savings, I wish I could, I always got great deals on guarantees in fact my first cruise was a guarantee and got a Balcony for the price of an OV and am now hooked on Balconies.

That's a shame, but being able to cruise is worth the little extra right? :p

It's actually our first cruise and they gave us two rooms next to each other even though it was a guarantee room. I was really happy about that! I heard that inside rooms are better if you are prone to sea sickness but I would love to try a balcony room next time.

It must be quiet season, there are so many specials for cruises at the moment. I feel like I should've waited for a better deal, but I guess $100 pp including tips is reasonable.

Edited by istase2000

That's a shame, but being able to cruise is worth the little extra right? :p

Yep and I just looooooooooove a balcony.

It's actually our first cruise and they gave us two rooms next to each other even though it was a guarantee room. I was really happy about that! I heard that inside rooms are better if you are prone to sea sickness but I would love to try a balcony room next time.

Some lines try to keep people who book together, together.

I really hope you enjoy your first cruise. But be warned they are addictive.:p

It must be quiet season, there are so many specials for cruises at the moment.

Schools back, most people are back to work so demand is probably down, though you see some great deals year round if you can go at the last minute.

I booked a guaranteed balcony on the Voyager for Feb. We have been allocated Deck 12 in one of the new cabins. Very happy.

Hope you're not sensitive to movement. If you are, take some aids.

Those cabins feel the most motion on the ship.