Cozumel - Playa del Mia Excursion

mollybax

Does anyone have any information about this excursion? I am looking for a relaxing beach excursion for either Cozumel or Belize. I heard the beverages are included with is excursion and that. You can get beach side massages (cost extra and not sure of the charge) and they have water sports.

Any other beach suggestions are welcome?

I can't find any information or reviews on the Belize - Water Caye excursion.

Thanks, Mollybax

We love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel (not sure about spelling). All inclusive, well cared for, great food, fabulous day, oh, and I forgot, they only take 100 people per day. It is the best.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Playa Mia, we do most times when in Cozumel, all you can drink, all you can eat.:)

All included

Umbrellas, tables and chairs.

Hammocks

Water park, water slides

Younger kids paddle pool,area

Beach games

Fresh water pool

Kayaks

Paddle boats

Sail boats

Floating bouncy water park

Only item that we paid for last trip was for snorkeling $15

Massages are offered mainly by the paddle pool along with hair-braiding!

With a fee$$$ sorry did not indulge, so do not know the cost.

Playa Mia cost Adults $87 Child $68, this was in June of this year

Great beach and a great day to relax swim snorkel or just eat and drink:D

We sat right by one of the drink stands, let's say DW and my DM got a little tipsy:eek:

Zoom in on photo to see all that they have to offer

imagejpg2_zps1254c59f.jpg

Edited by PompeySailor
Add cost and Playa Mia Map

Hi, we were just there last week. Here are my thoughts:

The massages were more than what I wanted to spend, and if I remember correctly it was like $65, for 45 minutes or so.

The beach was hard to walk on as the sand is more like crushed coral, and you sink really deep into it and it hurts your feet.

My kids and I went out to the floating obstacle course and it was really hard to get onto. Unless someone was on the course to pull you up, you were stuck in the water. (Really unnerving when your kids are up there and you can't get to them.)

Many times some friendly teens helped me back up (it is hard to stay on it). Oh, wear swim shorts - some people got views that I am not proud of -but on that thing you have no choice but to do all you can to get up on that thing!

The buffet isn't the greatest, but they did have hot dogs and macaroni and cheese for the kids. We ordered off of the menu nachos (had to pay extra for that) and they were good.

The little kids splash area was the best part - if you have kids from 1-5. The two big watersides were a hit with my son (10 years), but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to go slower on the slide. I watched many people either go so slow, where they had to push themselves down into to the pool, and then there were some people who were going so fast and looked like they were going to fly out of it. I thought I had it down how to go slow; go on the red one, and lay down. Nope, I nearly flew out of that thing! Never again!!

You can't snorkel from the beach, but they will take you out for $25.00 per person for 1 hour. (I didn't do that)

My kids didn't enjoy the beach at all - it wasn't good sand and the water isn't really clear. They did find lots of bigger pieces of coral, and we brought it back only to have it confiscated after going through the X-ray at the port. (I had a very upset 4 year old....)

The bars were all over the place, and if you had the all inclusive you could walk up to any bar and get a drink. I drank a lot, and I never "felt" it - so I think they were made really weak.

They did have a kids "watch" area, but we didn't use it.

We did an off boat excursion through shorexcursioneer dot com and it was cheaper that way for the all inclusive. For a taxi for 5 people it was $26.00. We also got to stay later as the ship excursions were called in to leave much earlier than we actually needed to.

If you want a prime lounge chair (first row on the beach) get there early, and you do need to pay for your umbrella - I think maybe 6-10 each. You will get drink and menu (paid for) service at your chair, and if you ask your guy he will bring you a little table to set your drinks / food on as well.

They also had group games like football and such that they announced over the intercom if you wanted to participate in.

So, this was my 3rd time to Cozumel and I still don't really enjoy it. I think next time I will save my money and eat and swim for free on the ship instead. Maybe if you did an excursion to see something, or to snorkel somewhere it might be worth it... IMO.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Holly

(sorry for the long response....) :)

The massages were more than what I wanted to spend, and if I remember correctly it was like $65, for 45 minutes or so.

The beach was hard to walk on as the sand is more like crushed coral, and you sink really deep into it and it hurts your feet.

My kids and I went out to the floating obstacle course and it was really hard to get onto. Unless someone was on the course to pull you up, you were stuck in the water. (Really unnerving when your kids are up there and you can't get to them.)

Many times some friendly teens helped me back up (it is hard to stay on it). Oh, wear swim shorts - some people got views that I am not proud of -but on that thing you have no choice but to do all you can to get up on that thing!

The buffet isn't the greatest, but they did have hot dogs and macaroni and cheese for the kids. We ordered off of the menu nachos (had to pay extra for that) and they were good.

The little kids splash area was the best part - if you have kids from 1-5. The two big watersides were a hit with my son (10 years), but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to go slower on the slide. I watched many people either go so slow, where they had to push themselves down into to the pool, and then there were some people who were going so fast and looked like they were going to fly out of it. I thought I had it down how to go slow; go on the red one, and lay down. Nope, I nearly flew out of that thing! Never again!!

You can't snorkel from the beach, but they will take you out for $25.00 per person for 1 hour. (I didn't do that)

My kids didn't enjoy the beach at all - it wasn't good sand and the water isn't really clear. They did find lots of bigger pieces of coral, and we brought it back only to have it confiscated after going through the X-ray at the port. (I had a very upset 4 year old....)

The bars were all over the place, and if you had the all inclusive you could walk up to any bar and get a drink. I drank a lot, and I never "felt" it - so I think they were made really weak.

We did an off boat excursion through shorexcursioneer dot com and it was cheaper that way for the all inclusive. For a taxi for 5 people it was $26.00. We also got to stay later as the ship excursions were called in to leave much earlier than we actually needed to.

If you want a prime lounge chair (first row on the beach) get there early, and you do need to pay for your umbrella - I think maybe 6-10 each. You will get drink and menu (paid for) service at your chair, and if you ask your guy he will bring you a little table to set your drinks / food on as well.

They also had group games like football and such that they announced over the intercom if you wanted to participate in.

So, this was my 3rd time to Cozumel and I still don't really enjoy it. I think next time I will save my money and eat and swim for free on the ship instead. Maybe if you did an excursion to see something, or to snorkel somewhere it might be worth it... IMO.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Holly

(sorry for the long response....) :)

It is interesting to read your comments.

We were there June and umbrellas were complimentary:confused: we sit down to the right near where the kayaks and peddle boats are. It is right by a small bar hut and In front of the entrance to the water slides. Not far to buffet so not much sand to walk through. I agree hard to walk on the sand at times.

My DH and DD rented the snorkel gear. I can't remember how much to rent, but they along with plenty of others, snorkeled just to the left of the roped off boat area to the left of the water park. Did not need to be taken out anywhere.

For us it works as a no frills, relaxing day out, and we know what to expect.

Does anyone have any information about this excursion? I am looking for a relaxing beach excursion for either Cozumel or Belize. I heard the beverages are included with is excursion and that. You can get beach side massages (cost extra and not sure of the charge) and they have water sports.

Any other beach suggestions are welcome?

I can't find any information or reviews on the Belize - Water Caye excursion.

Thanks, Mollybax

Cozumel

Belize

Cozumel

COLOR="Red"]Agreed some obstacles are hard for us oldies to navigate[\COLOR]

COLOR="Red"]Have never had to pay extra for any food, and there were plenty of nachos at that buffet[\COLOR]

The kids will show you how to go fast or slow, agreed you can hit them very fast, you can also go down at snail pace, all about your body position[\COLOR]

Not correct you can snorkel from the beach, that's why they rent out equipment for $15.00

The sand 5/6 rows back of water line is nice, agreed at waters edge it is very much like a gravel and falls away under your feet

Bartenders delivered drinks to you, no need to even get out of your chairs, never had an empty cup, my DW and DM must of had a good bartender as the drinks they had were very strong[\COLOR]

We had a good 5hrs at the resort, and with RC transportation, total all inclusive $87 adults, $68 children

Not correct umbrellas are complimentary

See my comments in red, we have been to Cozumel numerous times, and been to Playa Mia 5 times. We did this through RC if that helps:)

We were to the right of the main entrance which was not crowded!

Here is where we sat with free tables and free umbrellas,notice how close bar was, and all the drinks and soft sand

imagejpg5_zps51e19e95.jpg

Here DD snorkeling directly from the beach! Water park in background.

imagejpg1_zps59641e73.jpg

Here is the nice soft sand 5/6 rows back from waters edge

imagejpg1_zps52a6707b.jpg

More soft sand by the Hammocks

imagejpg4_zps91f70775.jpg

We love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel (not sure about spelling). All inclusive, well cared for, great food, fabulous day, oh, and I forgot, they only take 100 people per day. It is the best.

Ccpalmtree,

How far from the port is Nachi Cocom and is transport included or do you need a cab?

Thanks,

mollybax

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want a relaxing, quiet beach day Nachi Cocum is great for that. Here are some pictures. I think the price was about $55 AI. You could book other things like snorkeling tours, massages, etc. at the beach club if you wanted.

IMG_0984_edited-1_zps7c5475f9.jpg

Nachi Cocum beach club

IMG_0988_edited-1_zpsf49598df.jpg

P2060033_edited-1_zps21a16512.jpg

Swim up pool bar

P2060088_edited-1_zpse0fdecf0.jpg

My hubby and kids did some snorkeling from the beach - nothing specactular but something

We did Playa Mia last July, we had a nice time but dont think I would go back. The beach was nothing to write about it. We spent most of the time in the pool because it was closer to the water slides, where my kids spent more of their time. They were really good and since the place was not crowded they could ride again and again without having to make a line.

The buffet selection was very limited but we all found something to eat. No dessert, just some cookies similar to oreos. Drinks were fine. Since we bought it from RCCL we were limited to 5 hrs. I ran into another cruise passanger who had bought it online and she got to spend the whole day not limited to the 5 hrs and costed her less.

Did you check Mr. Sanchos AI? Lots of great reviews on that beach... Very sandy and not difficult to walk in or out of the water....pics look awesome, check other sites for reviews on it.....going there in Nov and we have this place booked....can't wait! Good luck?

Did you check Mr. Sanchos AI? Lots of great reviews on that beach... Very sandy and not difficult to walk in or out of the water....pics look awesome, check other sites for reviews on it.....going there in Nov and we have this place booked....can't wait! Good luck?

I was at Mr Sanchos last week. Great place and great food - Elvis ran after us all day - you can use the buffet or select from the menu. They also have free wifi which they didn't have last year. If it's just the two of us we usually go to Nachi. Mr Sanchos is better for when the kids are with us for the water toys

If you decide to go to Nachi, you will need a reservation in advance. You can go to their website (as well as the others) and see if it is for you. About a 20 minute cab ride. They only accept 100 per day so there is not a big crowd. We have gone there, San Francisco beach, and other places, but Nachi is where we will go in the future. All the beach clubs have massages, braids, vendors selling their goods, etc, so you don't miss out on any of that if you so desire. Some of the beach clubs have started "charging for the chair" and they have a minimum you must spend, whether on food, or drinks. Hope that helps! Enjoy

Thank you all for the great info. I looked up both places and I am leaning towards Nachi as the have the limited number. You all mentioned that it is 20 minute cab ride, any idea on the cost for a cab? Also are there cabs readily available at Nachi so we can leave when we want? Last question I assume the cabs will accept US dollars, correct?

I will make my reservation this week.

Thanks,

Mollybax

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you walk outside the cruise terminal, there are cab lines and merely tell them where you are going. There is a chart quoting exact cab fares by the line as well, I think our cab was $15 us??? When you get ready to leave Nachi there are plenty of cabs - or your server for the day will call for one. They are really accommodating. They do take your picture when you arrive, and find you before you leave to show you and see if you want to buy it. Can't remember but think around $10. We bought the first one.

Playa Mia cost Adults $87 Child $68, this was in June of this year

That seems a little expensive ... did it include your transportation to/from the ship?

We are going with NCL. They have several options for this excursion - we chose AI including transportation, food, drinks for $69 adult/$49 kids.

Booking online, not with the cruise line, and taking a taxi could work out even less.

Odd that the cost would be so much different between cruise lines :confused:

That seems a little expensive ... did it include your transportation to/from the ship?

We are going with NCL. They have several options for this excursion - we chose AI including transportation, food, drinks for $69 adult/$49 kids.

Booking online, not with the cruise line, and taking a taxi could work out even less.

Odd that the cost would be so much different between cruise lines :confused:

Yes that does include transport both ways

All included drinks as much as you can consume

Deck side tables

Loungers

Umbrellas

All the food you can eat

I know that all listed included what is paid for in the cost of the excursion

Kayaks

Peddle boats

Sail boats

Water park

Water slides

Not expensive if you know what you are getting, and to compare with NCL, maybe NCL have less time or less inclusive items, I would not know as I have never been to Cozumel on an NCL ship, only Costa Maya.

Did you book an NCL excursion as you mention taxi, depends on size of your party as well for transportation,We prefer doing it through ship.. As we like to vacation with no stress

Happy days!

Edited by PompeySailor

NCL includes everything you list including transportation.

Maybe NCL has less time there - our excursion is 5 hours. For me that is enough ;)

We looked at the other places mentioned in this thread - Nachi Cocum, Mr Sanchos, Paradise - and feel that the kids will enjoy Playa Mia the most. Maybe we will visit one of the other places on a future cruise :p