RC cruiser considering Summit out of SJ for 2016. Questions..

BillOh

ALL OPINIONS/COMMENTS WELCOME

Hello everyone. My signature below shows my cruise history which will soon be 10 years old and all with Royal Caribbean. I did say one I make Diamond on Royal I would consider trying X. I will be Diamond after my Freedom cruise next April.

You will see my countdown clock shows Explorer of the Seas for 2016, but that is tentative. That cruise may or may not exist, so I am now looking at X for 2016. My two main requirements is that I want to be cruising on our 35th anniversary (May 2nd, 2016) We were on Voyager on our 25th and Allure on our 30th. We have boarded on our anniversary or flown home on that day, but for this one I want to have a fun day somewhere other than flying. May 2nd 2016 is a Monday I believe. I am primarily looking at 7 day cruises, but will consider 5,6, or 8.

I'd like the cruise to include at least one new port, but I don't expect you people to research where I've been, but that will be in my mind and is one reason I am looking at Summit out of San Juan for this. If the itinerary stays the same, Tortola, Martinique, and Dominica would all be new to us and I would love forward to returning to St Kitts for only the 2nd time. I would probably also go scuba diving in St Thomas where we have been 3 times.

I've been on Royal's smallest ships for 3-4 day cruises and on the middle sized Radiance class for 5 and 7 day cruises, and the bigger ships all on 7 day cruises. I've watched the webcams and admired the Solstice class. What will I think of the Summit? I know nothing, but will start researching.

Oh, yea were are mid 50s, Empty nesters and will be just the two of us. I tend to be active in Royal's Roll call groups, so I am sure I will be in the X equivalent, so that will be helpful.

We will be in a balcony, so can someone explain the difference between Veranda, Concierge and Aqua?

I've got 600 days to figure this out, so hit me with any thoughts/experiences/criticisms, just don't ignore me!

We've cruised with Celebrity 6 times and will be taking our 7th trip on this similar cruise on the Summit in April 2015 out of SJ. The stops are slightly different. We tried the Aqua class last year and fell in love with it. The cabins are in a great location - love Blu and the freedom with the dining schedule and will do that again on future cruises. I highly recommend it. The ship was "solstarized" so there were upgrades made from our previous cruise in the cabin and throughout the ship. I like the smaller ships since you can maneuver them better, but I have a little difficulty with longer walks. The specialty restaurants are wonderful as well. My only complaint was the embarkation at San Juan that we took on a previous cruise. Prior to getting into the terminal, the cab dropped us off back to far and we had to maneuver with our suitcases up to where the lines were. Then the fun began. There was no organization to the hoards of people trying to compile into 2 lines. Get there earlier than the posted boarding time if you can - don't wait too late. Maybe this has improved but it was chaos. We're hoping that has improved. Once inside, they were more organized.

My only complaint was the embarkation at San Juan that we took on a previous cruise. Prior to getting into the terminal, the cab dropped us off back to far and we had to maneuver with our suitcases up to where the lines were. Then the fun began. There was no organization to the hoards of people trying to compile into 2 lines. Get there earlier than the posted boarding time if you can - don't wait too late. Maybe this has improved but it was chaos. We're hoping that has improved. Once inside, they were more organized.

Thank you for that info, I am definitely one of those people who wants to get on board at the first available moment. That's where the roll call groups help, Royal tells people not to board till later, but people in the know get there ASAP. That will be me. I've sailed into San Juan once, and sailed out of San Juan once and those were two different ports. Which one does Summit sale out of?

I looked at a picture on X website showing an indoor pool that looks a lot like the Solarium on the Radiance class ship. Is there another pool outside? My wife is a bit of a sun goddess.

If things stay the same...

The Summit annually moves from The Caribbean to the Atlantic for the Summer Season (April thru August) and has done so for many years. She does a weekly Itinerary that takes her from Port Liberty, NJ to Kings Warf, Bermuda (3 Days in Bermuda)

So that is where she'd be sailing come May 2, 2016

After the Summer Season, The Summit does an New England & Canada Itinerary for the Autumn before returning to the Caribbean for the Winter (November thru April).

--- --- ---

Mr Sloop & I are new to cruising (since 2012) and so far have only sailed Celebrity... And are very satisfied. We have always sailed Concierge Class and enjoy it, our next cruise we are going to try Aqua Class which keeps Concierge perks and adds a few more (price was right this cruise... Actually the Concierge Cabin we wanted was more expensive than the Sunset Aft we ended up getting... BONUS )

I could tell you more about the wonderful aspects of Celebrity... But let's see first if you are onboard with a Celebrity Cruise given that I've told you that The Summit Itinerary isn't what you thought it would be.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I swear I read in the last few days, but now can't find it, that it has been suspected that a May 2016 Summit Sailing is a likely candidate for a charter.

I remember reading it and thinking, weird, I expect it to be in March maybe they messed up typing (it was MAY 16 maybe they meant MAR 16).

There have been several recent threads about charters recently.

As I said, I THOUGHT i read this but can no longer find that particular post to prove it to myself, so be cautious and research to be safe if canceling something else for this one. Especially since timing seems to be critically important to your decision.

Edited by cle-guy

I swear I read in the last few days, but now can't find it, that it has been suspected that a May 2016 Summit Sailing is a likely candidate for a charter.

I remember reading it and thinking, weird, I expect it to be in March maybe they messed up typing (it was MAY 16 maybe they meant MAR 16).

There have been several recent threads about charters recently.

As I said, I THOUGHT i read this but can no longer find that particular post to prove it to myself, so be cautious and research to be safe if canceling something else for this one. Especially since timing seems to be critically important to your decision.

To CLE-GUY,

You did read that...

It was in the post where the OP was making inquiries about Summit Sailings that were missing from Celebrity's Website over the Spring Break period she was considering (Late February 2016 thru to Mid March 2016)

I went to CruiseTT and did some research for her... And it was determined that YES The Summit would not be following it's usual cruise schedule during that timeframe

And another CC Poster said she was on a Charter on The Summit for one of these weeks

A third CC Poster said she had been notified by Celebrity that there was indeed a Charter now, and her original booking was being cancelled. She was the lady that typed in May 2016...

Given the convo, I too assumed it was a mistype (iPad / iPhone self feed) issue

Thread can be found here = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085895

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add link

If things stay the same...

The Summit annually moves from The Caribbean to the Atlantic for the Summer Season (April thru August) and has done so for many years. She does a weekly Itinerary that takes her from Port Liberty, NJ to Kings Warf, Bermuda (3 Days in Bermuda)

So that is where she'd be sailing come May 2, 2016

Thanks for that, I've been getting impatient with RC updating things for May of 2016, but I guess that they are the same IT department and probably behave similarly in scheduling.

--- --- ---

Mr Sloop & I are new to cruising (since 2012) and so far have only sailed Celebrity... And are very satisfied. We have always sailed Concierge Class and enjoy it, our next cruise we are going to try Aqua Class which keeps Concierge perks and adds a few more (price was right this cruise... Actually the Concierge Cabin we wanted was more expensive than the Sunset Aft we ended up getting... BONUS )

Thanks for that explanation, on the last couple of cruises that do show up for 2016 on Summit I saw what the difference in price was, so your explanation will help make that decision and I'll consider it since its a relatively big anniversary.

I could tell you more about the wonderful aspects of Celebrity... But let's see first if you are onboard with a Celebrity Cruise given that I've told you that The Summit Itinerary isn't what you thought it would be.

Cheers!

That is fair enough, do you have an idea of what ship might be sailing out of San Juan then? (After I hit enter, I'll go back to the website and see what sails in May of 15 hoping that is a valid comparison)

PS, The website doesn't show any cruises out of San Juan in May of 15. Does Celebrity not run there in the spring and Summer? Royal has been doing two ship in the fall/winter, and just one ship in the Spring/summer This 2016 cruise is the hardest I've had to plan.

Edited by BillOh

Glad I could help.

Indeed as you've discovered NO Celebrity Ships sail out of San Juan during the month of May.

Celebrity currently has 11 Ships which they use to cover the globe year round... (in truth it is more like 9 for 2016 in so much as The Xpedition permanently is stationed in the Galopolis Islands, and The Century will be retired in 2015)

So something has to give... With "home office" (RC) covering the Caribbean year round... Celebrity goes off to other markets.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f0a180bd#/f0a180bd/182

Concierge is nice, I expect Aqua Class to also be great (lots of fans here on CC)

Booking so far out you might want to consider even going for a Suite for your Anniversary (on Celebrity or otherwise)... The advantage we find to booking early is getting the cabin we truly want at a price we can live with. Not unusual to then find things change... Prices come down (we smile... Or we move up)... Prices go up, we are tickled pink we booked when we did.

I agree lots to think about / consider.

Lol, including the possibility of other Itineraries, Ships or Cruise Lines (lol I now know who I can call on for advice when the time comes for us to spread our wings and look at Royal ;) )

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I say if booking either go Aqua or save your money and book standard Veranda.

Don't pay for the Concierge experience. Many of the "benefits" are immaterial and listed simply to add "perceived value".

Concierge existed when there was no aqua class, so then it was special, bridging the gap between standard cabins and suites.

Some of the Concierge cabins are in favorable positions, so if that is a deciding factor then go for it. But otherwise I'd suggest just go Veranda and use the saved money for a couple special dining experiences on board.

The extra amenities Concierge has versus Veranda are (and my commentary on each....)

• Priority check-in - most lines move pretty quickly, all end up in the tight security check and gangplank funnel so no real benefit.
  • Express luggage delivery - no one can actually confirm its really any faster. Seems more tied to arrival to the pier, though the luggage tags do indicate Concierge class, iff anyone really pays attention.
  • Personalized Concierge service - to me no biggie. I can book my own experiences
  • Priority disembarkation based on your travel needs - anyone can request any time to get off the ship. If you not get requested time, go to Guest Services and they will give you a different disembarkation group usually no questions asked.
  • Complimentary shoeshine service - whoopee....I'm on vacation!
  • Access to the exclusive Concierge Class Pre-departure Lounge - MAYBE important to some, I usually just walk off whenever close to my luggage call. But may be important to others.
  • Main and specialty restaurant seating time preferences - really not much they can do if its booked. I;'ve been ain a Penthouse Suite and told they could not accommodate met.
  • Expanded room service menu. This is a true benefit, if one does room service.
  • Welcome Blanc de Blancs sparkling wine with a commemorative label featuring exclusive art work from the ArtCenter/South Florida artists. I nice touch, also in Aqua Class.
  • Pillow menu to suit your sleeping preferences - strangely most staff low noting of this, and most travelers can never find the menu. But as with anything cabin related ask your steward and they will seek out what you wish, even for an inside cabin.
  • Daily delivery of Afternoon Savories - you MUST be in the cabin, you have to fill out a card requesting delivery time between 2:30 and 4:30. Kind of complex for a gal of humus pitta chips and a couple olives.
  • Plush bathrobes - A nice touch, Aqua also has, and I expect asking a cabin steward in any cabin will get you one.
  • Fresh fruit - nice touch, Awua also has. Typically these days just 3 green apples
  • Custom-blended bath amenities - Aqua also has these, they are a step up from standard cabins, and includes bath gell that standard do not
  • Personalized stationery - haven't seen this in ages
  • Use of binoculars and golf umbrella - nice but binoculars are almost Fisher Price toy quality
  • Extra handheld hair dryer. Really, double fisting when drying your hair?
  • Celebrity tote bag - nice touch for beach excursions. Also in Aqua
  • Hansgrohe® massaging shower head - Not sure if others have it, but honestly, aren't those gizmos always a let down...Aqua Class has a shower system with 6 extra "Body Sprays" you can adjust, that is nice.

ALL OPINIONS/COMMENTS WELCOME

Hello everyone. My signature below shows my cruise history which will soon be 10 years old and all with Royal Caribbean. I did say one I make Diamond on Royal I would consider trying X. I will be Diamond after my Freedom cruise next April.

You will see my countdown clock shows Explorer of the Seas for 2016, but that is tentative. That cruise may or may not exist, so I am now looking at X for 2016. My two main requirements is that I want to be cruising on our 35th anniversary (May 2nd, 2016) We were on Voyager on our 25th and Allure on our 30th. We have boarded on our anniversary or flown home on that day, but for this one I want to have a fun day somewhere other than flying. May 2nd 2016 is a Monday I believe. I am primarily looking at 7 day cruises, but will consider 5,6, or 8.

You have plenty of time to explore other options. If Celebrity stays consistent with the Summit, the April 23rd sailing from San Juan will be the repo that

gets to Bayonne on Sunday May 1st. We have no reason to think otherwise. The May 1st sailing should be the first seven day Bermuda sailing. Celebrity begins their new year of bookings for the Summit with the repo. They do not open up until sometime around late March or early April of next year.

Edited by bayonnejoe

We love the Summit, however, on our last cruise we sat with a couple at a wine tasting because they were Diamond on Royal and it was their first X cruise. We asked how they liked it and to my surprise they were disappointed. WHAT? Summit is my favorite ship, how could this be? The answer is that they missed the soaring atriums and space on Royal ships. Aha! I understood. Although we love the wood panelling and the feel of old time cruising, it doesn't appeal to everyone. I suggested they try an S class ship because it has more of the feel of Royal before they turn off of X completely.

Don't pay for the Concierge experience. Many of the "benefits" are immaterial and listed simply to add "perceived value".

On the "S" class ships I would agree, but on the "M" class (Summit is one of them) the Concierge and Aqua Class rooms are bigger than the standard veranda staterooms.

Edited by Texed

:confused::confused:

While I agree that AQ is great, Concierge on the Summit if the price is right (Not too much over balcony cabin cost) is wonderful.

Bigger cabin, better locations, more Captains Club points....

CleGuy... your cruise history doesn't include any cabin cats under AQ (your first cruise ever apparently) How can you really say much about Concierge cabins and less? I've very much enjoyed Concierge Class Cabins on the Millie Class ships, and have booked them a lot. Just saying.

Edited by A Sixth?

cle-guy, sorry... your upcoming cruise is Aqua Class.... my bad...

Your first cruise was in a Penthouse.... the point being that in fact until your next cruise the lowest catagory you've ever cruised in is a Celebrity Suite....

Nice!

Edited by A Sixth?

OP,

The Summit is a M class ship. It is smaller than any of the S class ships. For us that is good thing. Celebrity definitely understands spatial needs of their passengers without being too fussy or too large.

What the M class ships have over the S class ships IMHO is the variation in balcony cabin sizes. There are some larger cabins even within categories, like the sweet sixteens and 4 CC cabins on deck 6 that are stellar. Then there are the fantastic afts in both Concierge class and Aqua class.

As a Diamond on RCI you can also have the same level of benefit applied to Celebrity. Celebrity is actually a little more generous with internet and laundry but may not offer the same lounge benefits. On cruises with a large number of Elites they may substitute drink vouchers.

If you are seeking the itinerary for the southern Caribbean you mentioned however, it is unlikely you can find it in mid May. That's a shame because the Summit does a wonderful cruise in the south.

It's too early to find 2016 cruises on most cruise lines (Azamara and Crystal are the only ones I know of with full schedules out now).

May 2 is also a transitional time of year: too late for the Caribbean, too early for Alaska or the Med. Your best bet is the check the spring schedules of several lines that you would consider (I would add Princess) and hope they repeat.

Celebrity has had no ship in the Caribbean in May for a number of years now.

Alaska, the Med, or the pink sandy beaches in Bermuda.

As to your cabin category question.

We feel the MDR service, selection, and quality are good, and do not feel that dinning in Blu is worth the cost difference to book Aqua class. Yes there are some more additional perks, again nothing that justifies the cost increase for us.

The only reason to book a Concierge cabin is for the extra points in the Capt Club. Since you will have Diamond status in C&A, you will be receiving all the perks of the Elite CC level now. No real need to chase points. Yes you get an apple a day, and on M-class ship you get a bit more sq footage.

Some feel the location in these 2 cat's are better than a standard veranda, 50/50 toss up. Last yr we sailed the Reflection in a CC deck 9 on the hump, this yr we are in a standard 1A veranda deck 8 on the hump, on the Equinox, for hundreds less.

Royal has no ship design that compares to the M-Class on Celebrity. The S-Class would compare to a Vision class design, but the staircase is not as grand.

EW

We are Emerald in C&A, and will reach the Elite level in CC on our next sailing in Nov.

Have been on Summit twice (so far) and loved it. The Summit felt like an elegant hotel to me - more so than prior cruises on Royal and Carnival. We were in Concierge Class in 2013 and regular balcony earlier this year. Both times and loved it. Have sailed both itineraries. I agree about Concierge Class not being worth the upgrade. Better off going Aqua if you can (from what I have read).

We are booked again for March 2015 - this time in Sky Suite. Did I tell you we love this ship?

Embarkation in San Juan is the smoothest of any port I have been too. We have been on as early as 11AM - you can just sail through check in process. Make sure you sign up for Captain's Club and get your reciprocal benefits from being Diamond on Royal. You'll get some decent coupons and a special line.

cle-guy, sorry... your upcoming cruise is Aqua Class.... my bad...

Your first cruise was in a Penthouse.... the point being that in fact until your next cruise the lowest catagory you've ever cruised in is a Celebrity Suite....

Nice!

Actually haven't updated my history for a while. I already sailed Aqua in May, on Summit. The first sailing I was in I booked for 3 of us, the other 2 were in Concierge, I've participated in 2 cabin crawls as well on both my TA's so have been in every cabin category there is, except Family Veranda, and as you may tell from my posting here, I research the heck out of cruise lines!

Sailing an Inside August 31, found a deal I couldn't refuse. and some friends I've met on other cruses are also there, so cruise reunion.

:confused::confused:

While I agree that AQ is great, Concierge on the Summit if the price is right (Not too much over balcony cabin cost) is wonderful.

Bigger cabin, better locations, more Captains Club points....

CleGuy... your cruise history doesn't include any cabin cats under AQ (your first cruise ever apparently) How can you really say much about Concierge cabins and less? I've very much enjoyed Concierge Class Cabins on the Millie Class ships, and have booked them a lot. Just saying.

I listed out the benefits of Concierge and my commentary on them. Versus Standard Verandas, are any of them really that impressive or worth the added costs ($400 extra, see detail that follows...)? To some yes, but several of the added amenities really are "padding".

I'm curious to find out what specific Concierge amenities make it "wonderful" versus the savings of a standard veranda...I frankly feel the Concierge is just as wonderful as the standard Veranda. But think Aqua is better than them both.

You are correct about larger cabin size on M class as Summit is, I had not really considered that. But reality is, the "extra space" isn't really that much more (from the Celebrity Summit Stateroom page):

• Standard Veranda 170 sq ft plus veranda of 38 sq ft
  • Concierge 191 sq ft plus veranda of 41 sq ft
  • Aqua 195 sq ft plus veranda of 54 sq ft

The cabins are all the same width, so the extra square feet comes from the depth, (due to position on the ship relative the the humps generally).

Cabins are about 10' wide, so that means the difference in cabin size boils down to:

• Standard veranda: 17 feet deep veranda 3.8' deep
  • Concierge: 19 feet deep, veranda 4 feet deep (2 extra feet in the cabin)
  • Aqua: 19.5 feet deep, veranda 5.4 feet deep (yes that makes the veranda a bit more special)

As to pricing, I selected May 31 2015 7 night Summit Sailing to Bermuda, and comparing the lowest category cabin and found:

• Veranda - 2C $2598 for the cabin
  • Concierge - C3 $2998 for the cabin (+$400)
  • Aqua - A2 $3098 for the cabin (+$500)

For the extra $400, I'd buy the Domain Chandon sparkling wine from gifts by Celebrity for $37 versus the "battery acid" as many call it sparkling wine that's free. I'd book Murano Wine pairing dinner for 2 at $95 each one night, that includes the wines, and book 1 or 2 more nights in specialty restaurants and be the same as paying for concierge (actually ahead, since concierge has no meals offers) or be close to same with BLU, though not BLU every day, but versus BLU, would be able to go specialty one more day still.

And pricing does vary wildly on these cabins after they go on sale. So if pricing is right, the for sure I'd book a concierge over a veranda. I did find some where Aqua was cheaper than Concierge even, and some where Concierge was cheaper than Veranda. But in these cases it wasn't a comparison of the same 3C versus C3, i.e. it was comparing worst position on ship of the cheaper Concierge Cabin versus the remaining best locations of the Veranda cabins. Supply and demand really.

I just wanted to day that we are RCI fans. We love their overall product, entertainment value, and their ships!

We took a last minute cruise on the Summit in Aug 2013 and absolutely loved it! (we've booked another cruise on her for next week). She is similar to Radiance class, but we thought the quality of food, level of service, and abundance of high quality live entertainment all over the ship was far superior to any Royal cruise we've taken (including Allure).

I think you should give Summit a try! You'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

We will be married 25yrs May 10th 2016 so I will be following this thread. Have you considered Bermuda or Europe? Celebrity traditionally repositions the ships out of the Caribbean by the end of April. The reposition cruise at the end of April may work out for you. It starts in San Juan and ends at Cape Liberty. Since the Summer 2016 itinerary isn't out yet anything can change.

You will find that this is an ongoing discussion here on CC's Celebrity Board (lots & lots of past topics)

In truth, they are indeed 3 different classes that offer different things at different price points **. Period

Concierge offers a few more perks (perceived? Well that is in the eye of the beholder) than a regular Balcony Cabin. And Aqua all that Concierge has to offer... And a few more perks (most notably the Blu Dining Room which is meant to serve healthier / lighter fare... But as has been pointed out various times here on CC if today's menu isn't to your liking, you can also request / order from the MDR one)

Beyond that...

It is true that on M-Class Ships Cabin sizes in the 3 Categories differ...

And on all Celebrity Ships the location of cabins in these Categories also differ... With the so-called more desirable locations being found in Concierge & Aqua (and even so much as within their Sub-Categories... Of which Concierge has 3 = C3, C2, C1 and Aqua has 2 = A2 & A1)

I agree that in many instances when it comes to the bottom levels of a category and comparing it to the top of the previous (such as C3 to Balcony) there isn't a lot of visible benefits... But the higher you go up the Category by Sub-Category there is.

For example... I was on the Summit in 2013. We were in Concierge, had a C1 Aft Sunset Balcony with an oversized (read: MASSIVE) Balcony. Nothing like that to compare to in the "regular" Balcony Category on the Summit, never mind that we ALSO had the extra sq ft in our Concierge cabin that comes on the M-Class Ships... Plus all the nice "perks" of Concierge. (including Extra Captain Club Points... Something that are worth a lot to many Cruisers)

And the kicker... We booked early (a year in advance) so we got the cabin we wanted on a promotion, and then sat back as the prices rose and rose... By the time we set sail we were in a C1 Cabin with prime real estate for LESS than people were paying for most of the Balcony & Inside Cabins !!

So ya it pays off to book early... And do your research here on CC

Which brings me to the ** that I posted above.

I have found the pricing on Celebrity Cruises has a lot of fluctuation... You really have to keep an eye on things. They tend to sell off cabins like a Plane sells off Seats... When demand goes up prices goes up. When a category isn't selling they will adjust the price... In hopes that they'll sell more. This results in oftentimes some lower categories being priced more than higher ones... This is especially so for Concierge & Aqua and their sub-categories.

As of last week Concierge on my upcoming Cruise was priced higher than I paid for my Aqua Cabin.

And so it goes...

In fact it is worth checking pricing regularly also when one is already booked, cause it is not uncommon for price rises or drops to mean that other Booked Pax may request to change cabins / categories... And in an effort to sail with a ship truly full Celebrity will have to adjust prices to fill whatever remains vacant... Or after Final Payment and shortly before sailing sometimes have the "Upgrade Fairy" pay some Pax a visit, so they can backfill a lower category that has been selling well

So in the end, the ship sets sail full... But if you were to look at statistical data (if it was available) you would be quite surprised by what your fellow Pax paid... Even the cabin beside your own.

Hope this info helps someone,

Cheers!

What is plan B?

Well, I'll just have to consider X on another date, we usually cruise around our Anniversary date, but not always, but for our 35th I do want to be on a cruise somewhere warm.