"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

I've mentioned elsewhere that a lot of younger people (20s and 30s) say that they aren't interested in cruising, because they don't want to eat with strangers every night.

Now, let's think about it. We're getting a generation of people who don't talk to each other. They sit with their smartphones texting away, oblivious to the other people at the table. I've been on cruises where the kids sit at dinner with DSs, Game Boys, iPods and such, not only ignoring the adults at the table, but also the other kids.

So, they clearly don't want to sit with people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who want to engage in the lively art of conversation.

This is the demographic that RC is going after, since people who like eating in the MDR can only take so many cruises.

Now, I assume that on a smaller ship, it's either MDR and a few specialty restaurants or DD. But, I would think that on a larger ship, like the Oasis-class or the Freedom-class, you could leave on of the MDR venues as a traditonal MDR, while the other two MDR venues could become DD venues.

[quote name='ckfred']I've mentioned elsewhere that a lot of younger people (20s and 30s) say that they aren't interested in cruising, because they don't want to eat with strangers every night.

Now, let's think about it. We're getting a generation of people who don't talk to each other. They sit with their smartphones texting away, oblivious to the other people at the table. I've been on cruises where the kids sit at dinner with DSs, Game Boys, iPods and such, not only ignoring the adults at the table, but also the other kids.

So, they clearly don't want to sit with people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who want to engage in the lively art of conversation.
[/QUOTE]

Talk about rash generalisations :rolleyes:

We're in our 50's and have no interest and never had any interest in making small talk with strangers at dinner time. We sometimes cruise with our sons who are in their 20s. We've been travelling overseas with them since they were babies. At no time have they (or us for that matter) ever sat at dinner using any electronic device.

The fact is that we enjoy our dinner times together when we are on holiday - we like talking with each other, we never run out of conversation (and that's whether it's just us as a couple or with our sons). Our boys are polite, engaging, educated and articulate and happy to join in a conversation with people whatever their age - just not at a time which we regard as a precious family time.

Please don't paint all young people (or old people who don't want to share a table) with the same brush.

[quote name='ckfred']I've mentioned elsewhere that a lot of younger people (20s and 30s) say that they aren't interested in cruising, because they don't want to eat with strangers every night.

This is the demographic that RC is going after, since people who like eating in the MDR can only take so many cruises.

Now, I assume that on a smaller ship, it's either MDR and a few specialty restaurants or DD. But, I would think that on a larger ship, like the Oasis-class or the Freedom-class, you could leave on of the MDR venues as a traditonal MDR, while the other two MDR venues could become DD venues.[/QUOTE]

Saw a great comparison picture the other day. It was of a picture of the inside of a streetcar or train.

One picture taken this year and everyone had their heads buried in some sort of electronic device.

The second picture was taken in the 1950's and guess what. Everyone's head was buried behind a newspaper.

Electronics are not to be blamed.

[quote name='ckfred']Now, let's think about it. We're getting a generation of people who don't talk to each other. They sit with their smartphones texting away, oblivious to the other people at the table. I've been on cruises where the kids sit at dinner with DSs, Game Boys, iPods and such, not only ignoring the adults at the table, but also the other kids.
[/QUOTE]As a high school teacher with more than 20 years experience, I see a great deal of truth here. Kids really don't talk to one another in the same way they did in the past:

- It used to be that at the end of the day the halls were almost unbearably loud as kids laughed and talked with their friends as they left the building. I won't say they're silent now, but 95% of the kids leave the building with their heads bowed -- bowed over their cell phones as they check their phones after having been in class.

- On the first day of school when I ask the kids to fill out my information sheet, more and more of my students (and this is worse with girls) say they're "anxious" or have "social anxiety". More and more of my students are taking medication for it. And I see more and more kids "hiding behind" ear buds as a way of avoiding talking to their fellow students. More and more of our kids are "loners", and they aren't happy about it, but they don't seem to know how to be different.

- Not long ago my younger daughter and I drove up to my older daughter's college town just for the day, and when we went out to lunch, my younger daughter commented, "Do you notice we're the only people in this restaurant NOT on our phones?" I looked around, and it was true. We were surrounded by college students, and although some of them were talking to their tablemates, 100% of the people around us were tapping on their phones or had them "at the ready".

- I'm always amazed when I chaperone the prom that at any given moment a good 10% of the students are sitting at the tables texting! Whom could they be texting? Isn't everyone at the dance? I see the same thing at Friday night football games; at any point, a good percentage of the kids are ignoring both the game and their fellow students -- in favor of their cell phones.

Yes, electronics have changed the way our younger generations communicate, and I fear it isn't particularly good for us as a society. I'm certainly not saying that everyone over, say, 30 loves crowds and excels at small talk, while today's teens are social misfits -- but today's young people really are different in a big way.[quote name='Ourusualbeach']Saw a great comparison picture the other day. It was of a picture of the inside of a streetcar or train.

One picture taken this year and everyone had their heads buried in some sort of electronic device.

The second picture was taken in the 1950's and guess what. Everyone's head was buried behind a newspaper.

Electronics are not to be blamed.[/QUOTE]But can you read the same newspaper all day long? On the train going to work, at your desk, during your lunch, on the way home again? Sounds like a false comparison. Edited by MrsPete

Before guys start dragging their tuxes on board to go to Grande, you should read the description of "formal" on the website, at least for Quantum.

[url]https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner/category/1011/product/100000002801905201[/url]

WHAT TO WEAR

Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.
A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.
Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

I don't even need a tie, just a jacket and nice shirt. (And pants!)

[quote name='MrsPete']As a high school teacher with more than 20 years experience, I see a great deal of truth here. Kids really don't talk to one another in the same way they did in the past:

- It used to be that at the end of the day the halls were almost unbearably loud as kids laughed and talked with their friends as they left the building. I won't say they're silent now, but 95% of the kids leave the building with their heads bowed -- bowed over their cell phones as they check their phones after having been in class.

- On the first day of school when I ask the kids to fill out my information sheet, more and more of my students (and this is worse with girls) say they're "anxious" or have "social anxiety". More and more of my students are taking medication for it. And I see more and more kids "hiding behind" ear buds as a way of avoiding talking to their fellow students. More and more of our kids are "loners", and they aren't happy about it, but they don't seem to know how to be different.

- Not long ago my younger daughter and I drove up to my older daughter's college town just for the day, and when we went out to lunch, my younger daughter commented, "Do you notice we're the only people in this restaurant NOT on our phones?" I looked around, and it was true. We were surrounded by college students, and although some of them were talking to their tablemates, 100% of the people around us were tapping on their phones or had them "at the ready".

- I'm always amazed when I chaperone the prom that at any given moment a good 10% of the students are sitting at the tables texting! Whom could they be texting? Isn't everyone at the dance? I see the same thing at Friday night football games; at any point, a good percentage of the kids are ignoring both the game and their fellow students -- in favor of their cell phones.

Yes, electronics have changed the way our younger generations communicate, and I fear it isn't particularly good for us as a society. I'm certainly not saying that everyone over, say, 30 loves crowds and excels at small talk, while today's teens are social misfits -- but today's young people really are different in a big way.But can you read the same newspaper all day long? On the train going to work, at your desk, during your lunch, on the way home again? Sounds like a false comparison.[/QUOTE]
You are so right! We have a generation of people with 500 "friends" on FB and lonely as could be.
My son will text me in his room while we are both at home and we don't live in a mansion.
I'll stop in my break room at work and everyone is glued to their phones reading emails, texting, etc.
it's a new world.

[quote name='CruiserFromMaine']Before guys start dragging their tuxes on board to go to Grande, you should read the description of "formal" on the website, at least for Quantum.

[URL]https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner/category/1011/product/100000002801905201[/URL]

WHAT TO WEAR

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.
Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

I don't even need a tie, just a jacket and nice shirt. (And pants!)[/quote]
Do I have to wear a jacket if I wear a sweater?

[quote name='TM38Rob']Do I have to wear a jacket if I wear a sweater?[/QUOTE]

If you wear a Crew neck sweater yes if you wear a V neck or cardigan No!

But if you wear a V neck or Cardigan you will need to have a collared shirt under the sweater! Think male school teachers of the past:D:D:D

If you want to be just a bit overdressed in your Sweater you need to wear a V neck with a collared shirt with a loud non color matching bow tie:D:D:D Edited by fishtaco

[quote name='CruiserFromMaine']Before guys start dragging their tuxes on board to go to Grande, you should read the description of "formal" on the website, at least for Quantum.

[url]https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner/category/1011/product/100000002801905201[/url]

WHAT TO WEAR

I don't even need a tie, just a jacket and nice shirt. (And pants!)[/QUOTE]

Yes the Grande may not be quite as grand as many think:D

[quote name='fishtaco']Yes the Grande may not be quite as grand as many think:D[/quote]

If they consider THAT formal at one venue, then imagine how informal the other venues will be....eat where you like, and dress how you wish. No different than stopping into the WJ or the promenade cafe....this IS going to be like Disney...they have some very nice signature restaurants also, and people wore whatever was comfortable.

[quote name='ckfred']Now, let's think about it. We're getting a generation of people who don't talk to each other. They sit with their smartphones texting away, oblivious to the other people at the table. [/quote]

People have changed SO MUCH over the past 75 years. It's sad. Edited by poncho1973

[quote name='fishtaco']If you wear a Crew neck sweater yes if you wear a V neck or cardigan No!

But if you wear a V neck or Cardigan you will need to have a collared shirt under the sweater! Think male school teachers of the past

If you want to be just a bit overdressed in your Sweater you need to wear a V neck with a collared shirt with a loud non color matching bow tie[/quote]
There's a fancy elegant restaurant when I was growing up in my area with a dress code where my family and I went for Thanksgiving each year. Jacket and tie were required, however, they provided you with a jacket to wear at dinner. The one exception was Thanksgiving, where I could wear a sweater and turkey was on the menu. There was one time I ate there outside of Thanksgiving and couldn't get away with wearing a sweater, or order turkey. I don't remember if they made me wear a jacket provided by them (I think they made my Dad wear one) as it was a weeknight and not that many diners.

Anyway, the current owners have made it more an upscale steak house and turned the lounge into a more casual restaurant. According to a website dress code finder . com, the dress code is described as "Smart Casual" or "Casual Elegant". It says it means to "Dress to impress", "Jeans Likely OK", and "Avoid tees, sneakers and informal wear"; although the later is acceptable in the lounge restaurant. It was nice to not have to dress up for dinner in the lounge.

If The Grande is a choice of Jacket OR Sweater, I would have a better chance of packing a sweater. :cool: Edited by TM38Rob

Count me out ! I'm so not a fan of the way mass market cruise lines keep tweaking the dining experience. I wish that they would leave it well enough alone. It's sad that there is a whole generation of people new to cruising who are being led to believe that this is a product enhancement. It is not, in my not so humble opinion. When I started cruising Princess had just taken over Sitmar. In the two fixed seating dining rooms the emphasis was on service, excellent food, variety, and many dishes prepared on table side carts. We didn't need "specialty" restaurants because the food served in the dining rooms was already special enough, served fine dining style. Sitmar and then Princess had the Pizzeria's, but that was as far as it went.

Count me out ! I'm so not a fan of the way mass market cruise lines keep tweaking the dining experience. I wish that they would leave it well enough alone. It's sad that there is a whole generation of people new to cruising who are being led to believe that this is a product enhancement. It is not, in my not so humble opinion. When I started cruising Princess had just taken over Sitmar. In the two fixed seating dining rooms the emphasis was on service, excellent food, variety, and many dishes prepared on table side carts. We didn't need "specialty" restaurants because the food served in the dining rooms was already special enough, served fine dining style. Sitmar and then Princess had the Pizzeria's, but that was as far as it went.

You have to miss traditional cruise dinning thats for sure!

I started my cruise experiences not so long ago but it was still way before MTD was introduced on any line and with P&O ( my first cruises ) there was no evening buffet so everyone had to eat in MDR on assigned seating, didnt stop people cruising because that was all "Part of cruising" :)

I'm okay with trying it. We love freestyle dining on Norwegian. You don't have to book unless you want pay dining and don't want to chance there not being room. The first time we tried it we weren't sure about it but ended up loving it. It suits us because we seldom had a good experience with our table mates in traditional dining. There you can request to share a table if you want. We're on NOS in Nov and have chosen MTD and it confused me that we have to reserve. Makes it tricky to figure out with shows.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Disappointing to hear. We enjoy the social aspect of cruising and sitting down to dinner with 3-4 other couple for dinner is a big part of that. We keep in touch with many of the couples we have cruised with. While we enjoyed the speciality restaurants onboard Allure we missed some of the camaraderie that developed with our dinner mates from smaller ships.

Totally agree - this is one of the things we look forward to as well. Meeting new people. Oh well time marches on.....

I've said this several times, but there are a million places to meet new people on a cruise ship.

I keep reading that over and over. People are insistent that they want to meet new people and the DD takes that away.

Are these people asleep the other 22.5 hours of the day? Seriously. Meet people in the lounges, the bars, the shows, the pool, the game shows, the beaches, etc.

Your mouth, your smile, and a handshake work more than at dinner time.

ETA: meet them and invite them to join you for dinner!!!!

Edited by poncho1973

I've said this several times, but there are a million places to meet new people on a cruise ship.

I keep reading that over and over. People are insistent that they want to meet new people and the DD takes that away.

Are these people asleep the other 22.5 hours of the day? Seriously. Meet people in the lounges, the bars, the shows, the pool, the game shows, the beaches, etc.

Your mouth, your smile, and a handshake work more than at dinner time.

ETA: meet them and invite them to join you for dinner!!!!

You are trying to bring logic to this discussion :D You know that some wont allow that here! The sky is falling! :p

Guest maddycat
I'm okay with trying it. We love freestyle dining on Norwegian. You don't have to book unless you want pay dining and don't want to chance there not being room. The first time we tried it we weren't sure about it but ended up loving it. It suits us because we seldom had a good experience with our table mates in traditional dining. There you can request to share a table if you want. We're on NOS in Nov and have chosen MTD and it confused me that we have to reserve. Makes it tricky to figure out with shows.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

RCI keeps pushing people to make reservations for MTD. It is not necessary. You can just go to the MTD host/hostess when you want to eat and they will seat you. You can also request a table for 2 or whatever number is in your party. We always get a table for just the 2 of us.