Should I feel guilty of not wanting to do tours and just enjoying the cruise?

mozfoz

My DW has significant mobility issues and enjoys just being on vacation. A verandah stateroom with a great scenic view and being pampered for two weeks is her idea of a great vacation. Her one excursion is on the Aleutian Ballad Crab Fishing in Ketchikan since she knows the owner.

I am the one doing all of the excursions and photography.

At the end of a cruise, both of us are happy and planning for the next year's visit to Alaska.

That is one of the best things about taking a cruise vacation for people with different ability levels and different interests.

You can each do your own thing and be happy. You can go off exploring on your own at any port and leave her behind on the ship without feeling that you are abandoning her, knowing that she will be very well cared for and have everything she needs at her beck and call.

It is a great vacation option for family members of different generations too.

My DW has significant mobility issues and enjoys just being on vacation. A verandah stateroom with a great scenic view and being pampered for two weeks is her idea of a great vacation. Her one excursion is on the Aleutian Ballad Crab Fishing in Ketchikan since she knows the owner.

I am the one doing all of the excursions and photography.

At the end of a cruise, both of us are happy and planning for the next year's visit to Alaska.

If memory serves me correct; you and your DW were in cabin # 5190.

My wife and I enjoyed meeting you folks. We see the calendar every day which brings back great memories. We will always remember your kindness and hospitality:) We ran into your wife by the visitors center in Ketchikan. It was a beautiful day and she was all geared up for a great day there. She told us she loves cruising, relaxing, drinking cocoa on the verandah while taking in the beautiful sights. :D

Everyone takes what THEY need out of cruising.We are now hooked on cruising. We have many fond memories of just sitting on the verandah and watching the scenes change every five minutes.

On our next Alaska cruise(??? not sure when);on some ports of call we plan on taking less excursions, relaxing more aboard ship and, at various ports, take the local buses (public transportation) to various places we missed in July. One should never worry about just "hanging out" aboard ship. We missed a lot on the ship because we were so focused on excursions.

Life is short so; eat your dessert first!;)

Edited by Cantorindahouse
Typos

No offense, but I have to ask .... if you had known about budget activities at each port like a $2 bus to Totem Bight would you still have chosen the coffee and snack?

Yes that still would have been our choice. My travelling companion isn't an adventurous sort, so she would have been very uncomfortable heading off "on our own" without the comfort of a formal tour/guide.

Yes that still would have been our choice. My travelling companion isn't an adventurous sort, so she would have been very uncomfortable heading off "on our own" without the comfort of a formal tour/guide.

Thanks for responding. :)

For my 'broke' adventure, it was just the opposite. My travelling companions were adventurous, so when they heard about the bus to Totem Bight, away we went!

Thanks for responding. :)

For my 'broke' adventure, it was just the opposite. My travelling companions were adventurous, so when they heard about the bus to Totem Bight, away we went!

I'd have been all over that. My friend just can't cope with "DIY" touring unless I do an extensive itinerary (including the amount of time we will spend on various components). As in "walk to bus stop at corner of YYY and ZZZ, 5 minutes", "bus ride to BBB, 22 minutes". She was near-catatonic when we did a DIY in Mexico :D

This year in Ketchikan we did another DIY and she was much better, because I did the "walk to bus stop, blah blah blah" plan for her.

I'd have been all over that. My friend just can't cope with "DIY" touring unless I do an extensive itinerary (including the amount of time we will spend on various components). As in "walk to bus stop at corner of YYY and ZZZ, 5 minutes", "bus ride to BBB, 22 minutes". She was near-catatonic when we did a DIY in Mexico :D

This year in Ketchikan we did another DIY and she was much better, because I did the "walk to bus stop, blah blah blah" plan for her.

Well, at least you get the pleasure of planning the trip! And since you're doing the planning, you're in charge of the itinerary! I DO think research and planning is enjoyable.

I've long since given up on expensive tours for Alaska. Not that I ever did many as I lived and worked in Alaska, but now and then I would take a tour to get somewhere I couldn't get to either on my own and/or at a price I could pay.

Now I just take it easy and watch the world go by with some walking in the ports and some shopping.

Most ships are very peaceful when most of the passengers are ashore.

We too just did our first cruise to Alaska and had absolutely no organized excursions planned. We used a Frommer's Guide to help us decide what to do in each port, plus what I had been able to glean from this site/forum.

Overall it worked out well, though I did feel we missed some things...the only port where I felt we would have been better off with an "organized excursion plan" was Juneau. It was so busy with 5 ships in port and though we got the $10 bus to Mendenhall (which worked out fine) it was so crowded you could hardly move and the trail to Nugget Falls was closed. We were on a Holland American ship were able to go to Sitka. That was easy to get ourselves around in and see most of what I wanted. Ketchikan we were lucky to have a beautiful day and a nice walk to the Totem Heritage Center, I wished we had been able to go to Totem Bight, but such a short time in port I was worried about the logistics.

The very best part of the whole cruise was sitting (or standing) on our balcony and watching the amazing scenery slip by. Next time we may try and plan some more "get out of port" experiences - or not...but this cruise ranks up at the top of our best vacation every list.

We are currently planning an Alaskan cruise for next July. While we look forward to Alaska, is it possible to enjoy the cruise without doing any of the excursions? I mean, is it possible to just enjoy the beauty of nature while cruising the waterways and just visiting the ports? I do not need to be convinced that an excursion can be very rewarding and expand the enjoyment of the trip, or to be told what I would be missing. I am asking if anybody enjoyed just being on a ship in Alaska?

I'm not sure if this was asked and answered, but do you just wish to stay on the ship in all ports?

If so, it's your choice. Sure you can see some of what Alaska is like from the ship. Is just getting off at the ports and wandering around an option. If so, you can really have a great time doing this. Ketchikan, just walk over to Creek Street and spend a few hours. There are many wonderful shops to browse in and there are coupons galore to get stuff for 'dirt' cheap. Wander to the water and watch people fish.

Juneau, if you also want to stay in town, pay a visit to the Red Dog saloon. Just go in and look around, a wonderful place. If you are tempted, take the blue shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier, $20 or so round trip and you can spend hours here.

Skagway has several nice hiking trails, as well as wandering around this quaint little town. If you wanted to just 'splurge' on one thing, rent a car in Skagway for about $120 and that will cover most of your needs for the entire day. Drive into the Yukon, it is simply amazing.

But again, if you just want to roam around these towns, you will still get the feel of Alaska, but do try and get off the ship, you will not regret it.

In Juneau, visit the Red Dog Saloon

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain368.jpg

Or take a short trip to Mendenhall Glacier and Nuggett Falls

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain338.jpg

In Ketchikan, check out Creek Street

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain579.jpg

Or maybe see an eagle or two

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain594.jpg

On the ship there is also plenty to see, especially if you go to Glacier Bay

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain492.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain479.jpg

It is YOUR vacation so enjoy it the way you want

Cheers

Len

Juneau, if you also want to stay in town, pay a visit to the Red Dog saloon. Just go in and look around, a wonderful place.

In Juneau, visit the Red Dog Saloon

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain368.jpg

An alternative I prefer is the Alaskan Hotel. The Red Dog, sure is fun, but mostly if not all cruise ship passengers. The Alaskan is on the Historic Register and is worth a look. :) The history and architecture are interesting.

I've long since given up on expensive tours for Alaska. Not that I ever did many as I lived and worked in Alaska, but now and then I would take a tour to get somewhere I couldn't get to either on my own and/or at a price I could pay.

Now I just take it easy and watch the world go by with some walking in the ports and some shopping.

Most ships are very peaceful when most of the passengers are ashore.

Since you lived and cruised in Alaska before just relaxing in the ports seems like what most of us would do given that situation.

Since you lived and cruised in Alaska before just relaxing in the ports seems like what most of us would do given that situation.

I'm not with your "most". :) My ports are always activity/tour priority. With plans and reservations in place making the most of my port time.

This year, has been a jackpot for me, with numerous cruise, cheap last minute deals that I have taken advantage of. Will be 7 Alaska cruises for me this year. I'm living for today and doing what I want, which includes my activities in ports. I haven't tired of anything yet. :)

I'm not with your "most". :) My ports are always activity/tour priority. With plans and reservations in place making the most of my port time.

This year, has been a jackpot for me, with numerous cruise, cheap last minute deals that I have taken advantage of. Will be 7 Alaska cruises for me this year. I'm living for today and doing what I want, which includes my activities in ports. I haven't tired of anything yet. :)

You definitely seem like the exception rather than the rule.:)Enjoy your 7th cruise this year to Alaska and here's hoping you meet or beat that next year.:)

Well, at least you get the pleasure of planning the trip! And since you're doing the planning, you're in charge of the itinerary! I DO think research and planning is enjoyable.

CowPrincess, what a nice friend you are to accomodate your friend's travel quirks. Do you want to plan my Panama Canal cruise for me?? ;)

To a degree, yes, researching and planning is part of the enjoyment. BUT (notice that is a BIG "but") I find her need for minutiae (sp?) taxing to put it as kindly as possible. Again, to be frank, I'm not doing it for her again. She and I have very different "styles".

On our last cruise together, I was up and out at 6 a.m., watching for whales, enjoying being the only person on deck. Watching for whales, watching the scenery, enjoying the entire experience of being OUTDOORS in Alaska. :D I'd run back inside, grab more coffee, and then get OUTDOORS again. She pretty much grew roots on her balcony and in her cabin, choosing to read or nap (which is fine, it is her vacation and she can do what she wants).

I saw over 100 whales from the ship. She saw (maybe) 12 or 15. My way of experiencing Alaska is very different from hers. Encouraging her to join me was fruitless. As was HER encouraging ME to go to the special restaurant for breakfast, go to a movie, see an evening show. I was NOT onboard for that :D

If we travel together again, she is going to have to just trust me when we do self-guided stuff in ports. I haven't gotten us lost yet, nor have we missed the boat. We've been traveling together (intermittently) for 15 years; she should be able to rely on me by now :D

If memory serves me correct; you and your DW were in cabin # 5190.

My wife and I enjoyed meeting you folks. We see the calendar every day which brings back great memories. We will always remember your kindness and hospitality:) We ran into your wife by the visitors center in Ketchikan. It was a beautiful day and she was all geared up for a great day there. She told us she loves cruising, relaxing, drinking cocoa on the verandah while taking in the beautiful sights. :D

Everyone takes what THEY need out of cruising.We are now hooked on cruising. We have many fond memories of just sitting on the verandah and watching the scenes change every five minutes.

On our next Alaska cruise(??? not sure when);on some ports of call we plan on taking less excursions, relaxing more aboard ship and, at various ports, take the local buses (public transportation) to various places we missed in July.

Life is short so; eat your dessert first!;)

Thank you for your kind words. I see that I have convinced you that there is just too much to see in Alaska to stop with just one visit.

The lowest prices for Alaska are in May so hope to see you on the Noordam the first two weeks of May 2015 (Inside Passage). You will get a new souvenir calendar.

There is also lots to do on board for those that just want to be pampered or just enjoy the eagles, float planes, and beautiful scenery. The spa also has great discounts while in port.

Its your vacation your paying so you can do whatever you want.

Me personally I would want to do at least a few things : )

But I do like relaxing and not having a ton of stuff planned. My last cruise we relaxed way more then we did the last few cruises and just enjoyed the ship

If we travel together again, she is going to have to just trust me when we do self-guided stuff in ports. I haven't gotten us lost yet, nor have we missed the boat. We've been traveling together (intermittently) for 15 years; she should be able to rely on me by now :D

It's so much easier to travel solo !! but it's much more expensive when you don't have someone to share the expenses with. Such a dilemna. Finding a companion with a similar travel style and interests is tough.

Edited by mapleleaves

It's so much easier to travel solo !! but it's much more expensive when you don't have someone to share the expenses with. Such a dilemna.

Oh I paid full-freight single supplement. :D I am no longer tolerant enough to share a cabin with anyone but my DH (and that is difficult enough :D ) DH has no desire to go back to Alaska, so I just pay the single supp now. Sigh....

:) I'm lucky DH likes what I tell him to like! :eek:

yeah, but marriage seems like a heckuva price to pay for a travel companion!! :eek:

Makes the single supplement seem like a real bargain! :)

BTW, I'm in LasVegas for awhile . Any rain in your neighborhood ?

Edited by mapleleaves

Hubby and I have been to Alaska 4 times. Sometimes we do some excursions, sometimes we stay on the ship. Several times I have gone by myself, he prefers to stay on board. I don't mind traveling on excursions by myself...........have met many nice folks. One of my favorite trips was a whale watching trip. I met a women and her two sons (early 20's) from Australia. We had some much fun trying to get decent pictures of the whales and the rest of the week "we would ask how are the pictures today" :) So feel free to do what appeals to you............its your vacation! Have fun.

Thank you for your kind words. I see that I have convinced you that there is just too much to see in Alaska to stop with just one visit.

The lowest prices for Alaska are in May so hope to see you on the Noordam the first two weeks of May 2015 (Inside Passage). You will get a new souvenir calendar.

There is also lots to do on board for those that just want to be pampered or just enjoy the eagles, float planes, and beautiful scenery. The spa also has great discounts while in port.

The "lowest" prices are not always in May. Especially if open to late booking, there can be excellent deals the entire season. I've picked up 6 deeply discounted cruises this year, on top of the single Alaska cruise I booked several months in advance. :)

Edited by Budget Queen