Norwegian Jade Back to Back Review

KeithJenner

I’m currently on the second leg of a back to back on the Jade from Venice. The first week was the “Adriatic, Greece and Turkey” cruise and the second includes the Greek Islands.

I have only ever written a couple of reviews on Cruise Critic. The main reason for not writing more is that I don’t see much point in just saying that I’ve had a great time (It’s a cruise, so that’s the only possible outcome surely). However, I decided that I would put fingers to keyboard this time, mainly to try to pass on some of what we have learned from our experience. This particular cruise seems to create quite a lot of questions on the message boards, whether it be regarding how the back to back element works, transport at the various ports or whether you will be served the same dish every day in the MDR, so hopefully this will help answer some questions.

I was going to write something when we got home, but that is always a very busy time. This week I have plenty of time for relaxing on the balcony, so I decided to start writing some notes. I’m not sure how regular my postings will be, so please bare with me. Feel free to ask any questions as we go along.

First, some background. There are three of us, myself, my wife and our 9 year old son. We have only ever cruised NCL, mainly because we have always enjoyed our cruises and see no reason at present to look elsewhere. All of our cruises except one have been from Europe, the exception being a trip to Alaska on the Pearl last summer.

Because of our son, we have to cruise during school holidays, and in the Med our preference is for Easter or May (in England the schools get a weeks holiday in late May, which is perfect for fitting in a 7 day Epic cruise). However, as we wanted to do the two week Back to Back on the Jade we had no alternative but to go in August. None of us are comfortable in very hot weather (low 20’s celsuis is hot enough for us, so we had some real concerns about how we would get on with the heat in August.

We specifically wanted to do the cruises this way round, as the first week contained the ports which we really wanted to visit, and involved more walking, whilst the second week is more relaxing for us. For us, it has worked out really well so far.

We like to do ports by ourselves as much as possible, and for this cruise the only thing we have pre booked is a car rental at Katakolon. We will use a tour if it is the only way of getting somewhere, or if the port seems to require it (i.e. Casablanca), but given the choice we will just head off by ourselves.

Finally, we are planning to do the Grand Mediterranean cruise on the Spirit next summer, which means that we don’t have to do every port thoroughly this time. For example, we were able to decide to do Athens this year, but leave Ephesus until next time. It has made it easier for us, but does mean that you won’t find tips on going there I’m afraid.

Anyway, on with the review.

We flew into Marco Polo on the Friday evening. As we had a full day in Venice on the middle Saturday, we didn’t plan to spend any time in the city beforehand. Our flight was delayed (it’s quite a story, there was a problem with the plane so they changed to a different one but then realised they didn't have a pilot. They then found a pilot but he was flying in a bit later by which time they had lost the plane. Finally they found all the required components three hours after we were due to leave) so it was gone midnight before we landed in Venice.

We had booked at the Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre, which is perfect if you are flying in the day before and don’t want to go into the city. It is on the mainland, just before the bridge to the City, and is an easy taxi ride from the airport and to the cruise terminal (they do provide a shuttle bus but we didn’t use it).

We arrived at the terminal at around 11am and were checked in almost immediately and onboard before midday (we were in group 2). Once onboard we let our son have a swim, grabbed some food at the buffet (not too busy at that time) and then dropped our bags off in our cabin.

We are in room 11150 which I selected for a number of reasons. I have read much about aft facing cabins, so wanted to try one. One of the great attractions of cruising to me is to sit on my balcony at night, and I am doing just that right now. The noise of the wake is a little louder than I was expecting, but I’m sure I will be missing it next week.

I am reluctant to book a balcony cabin on a Jewel class ship, as I understand that the balcony door gets blocked by the sofa bed in those rooms. I also prefer the setup that you can select on the newer ships with the bed by the balcony door, as it means our son is less likely to be disturbed when I go in or out. My understanding (somebody please correct me if I’m wrong) is that this particular cabin is the only one on the Jewel ships with this configuration, which was why we went for it.

There are a couple of downsides to the aft mini suites. They are directly under the Great Outdoors, and you do hear tables and chairs being moved around at night. I believe that this can also be an issue in other mini suites that are below the pool area, so it isn’t unique to the aft cabins. On the positive side, you can smell the bread being baked at night (I can smell it right now). Overall, I think that I would probably book the same cabin again next time we sail on a Jewel ship.

As for the ship itself, I have slightly mixed feelings. I know many people particularly like the Jewel ships, but for us they are just the wrong size. We love the choices you get on the newer ships, where we can decide each evening whether we want to go to Howl or watch a band in Fat Cats, for example. We also love the slightly more intimate atmosphere on the Spirit. The Jade (and the Pearl last year) just seems to miss on both of those points. However, it is still a great ship. The Spinnaker Lounge is a great place to while away some time on a sea day and Bar City is a great venue. At the moment, for me these ships are missing an o’Sheehans or Henrys Pub, but hopefully the changes that are planned will help.

Overall, the Jade and the Pearl are my least favourite of the ships I have sailed on, but that isn’t as bad as it sounds. It isn’t that they are bad, but that the others are just a little better.

One of my biggest concerns prior to the cruise was the food onboard. I am used to bad reviews (the reviews before we went on the Spirit also said that the food wouldn’t be good), but there seemed to be some specific issues on the Jade. A number of reviews in a very short time reported main dining room menus which didn’t change at all. I have no idea whether that was accurate, but it seemed odd that it was mentioned on so many reviews, including one where the reviewer confirmed to me that was the case. Levels of service also seemed to be an issue.

Anyway, I’m pleased to confirm that we have found the food to be perfectly acceptable, and the service varying from average to exceptional. We don’t cruise for the food, but enjoy the full range that is offered. We use the buffet for breakfast, and for other meals either the buffet, MDR’s, Blue Lagoon or the speciality restaurants. The Jade is currently one of only a couple which is still on the old menus (I believe until early 2015), but the daily items certainly change, and the service has been good. We tend to eat early so never have to queue, and it has generally taken between an hour and 90 minutes to eat at the MDR. One of the waiters we had was probably the best we have ever had in an NCL MDR.

So far we have eaten in Cagneys and Le Bistro, and both times the food has been excellent. The service in Le Bistro and Moderno was good and in Cagneys it was exceptional.

We have been to the Blue Lagoon a number of times, mainly because our son has developed a particular taste for the buffalo wings (as long as they are the hot ones), and whilst the menu is limited, the food is adequate.

Perhaps the only slight disappointment is the buffet. I’m not a great fan of buffets generally, but we eat there onboard fairly often when cruising, mainly because it is easy with a child. Generally, I find that NCL buffets are as good as any I have had (although outside of cruises my experience of buffets is limited), but the selection appears slightly less expensive than has previously been our experience previously. Having said that, we have had no trouble finding something we like every time we have been.

On the subject of food, I should mention our experience with getting reservations in the various restaurants. The ability to prebook the main dining rooms doesn’t seem to have caused any noticeable problems, as I expected I haven’t seen any evidence that many people have made use of this.

The speciality restaurants do seem to have become rather unpredictable since the introduction of the Ultimate Dining Package. This is our third cruise since the UDP was introduced and on the first two (the Spirit and Epic), there was very good availability in almost every restaurant every night. However, on the first week of this cruise the restaurants were difficult to get into if you didn’t give at least 48 hours notice. We couldn’t get into Le Bistro on the day we wanted, and many restaurants were fully booked a couple of days in advance. When I was talking to reservations they said that it was the UDP which had caused the increased number of bookings.

Because of our experience during the first week, we made our reservations early for this week, and the situation seems to be totally different. Almost every night, the screens showing availability are awash with green, and you could just walk into almost any restaurant (other than Teppenyaki which apparently was fully booked after the first day).

My conclusion (which seems to be backed up by the widely differing experiences I’ve seen posted on this forum) is that it is extremely difficult to predict how the restaurants will be. If you have a specific requirement for a restaurant or time then either prebook or book early after boarding. You will be able to get into a restaurant (except perhaps Teppenyaki) at some point, but you may find that you need a day or two’s notice, especially if you like to dine at certain times. Other than that, you may be able to just walk in, or you may find everything booked, it just doesn't seem predictable.

Before I go on to talk about the ports of call, which will probably be in a day or two’s time, I will just mention our experience with the Back to Back, as this is quite different from how I understand it works in the US.

We had the option of booking the cruise as two 7 days cruises or one 14 day one. We did it as a 14 day, because the price was a few hundred pound cheaper. Others who booked at different times found that it was worth booking separately especially if the were OBC offers which were doubled by booking that way.

Unlike in the US, there is no need to clear the ship at the embarkation port, so for us the cruise has been seamless. Our key cards had the correct disembarkation date on them and we just treated Venice as a normal port of call. Other than having to make sure we had a drink before the muster drill started on the middle Saturday, nothing is different. You do need to take your passport with you into Venice, as it is required to get back onboard.

If you booked as two cruises, then you have to take your cruise docs for the second week to guest services a couple of days from the end of the first cruise where they apparently issue you with a new one. Other than that it seemed to be similar to our experience.

One pleasant surprise was the latitudes perks. As we booked it as a single cruise, we were expecting to just get the latitudes benefits once, so it was a nice surprise to find a second bottle of sparking wine in our room when we returned from Venice, along with the various other vouchers (including another free meal). I’m not sure whether this always happens, but I’m certainly not complaining.

Anyway, that’s it for now. We have a fairly late flight home on Saturday, so I may start to write up a bit about the ports while I’m waiting at the airport. If anyone posts any questions then I will try to answer if I get time (and can be bothered, I am on holiday after all :) ).

Keith, in readiness for your port review of Santorini, can you please advise at what time the ship started dishing out tender tickets on the 12th August for the arrival at 13.30pm and also at what time (if you know) the queue started to form?

Keith, in readiness for your port review of Santorini, can you please advise at what time the ship started dishing out tender tickets on the 12th August for the arrival at 13.30pm and also at what time (if you know) the queue started to form?

For an 8am anchoring they started dishing out tender tickets at 7.30am - that may be a guide.

Top tip - allow plenty of time to get back to the ship if you are using the cable-car - we had a wait of over an hour in the midday sun - NOT FUN!:mad:

Anyway, that’s it for now. We have a fairly late flight home on Saturday, so I may start to write up a bit about the ports while I’m waiting at the airport. If anyone posts any questions then I will try to answer if I get time (and can be bothered, I am on holiday after all :) ).

Thank you for posting your review. I'm on the Adriatic itinerary in October so am looking forward to hearing your impression of those ports (will miss a report from Ephesus, but you are on holiday after all). :)

I purchased the UDP and would enjoy hearing your views on any of the specialty restaurants you've eaten at on the Jade.

Thanks!

They started allocating them at 9am, but we didn't need to get one as we are platinum but I heard someone say that the queue started forming at about 7am.

I purchased the UDP and would enjoy hearing your views on any of the specialty restaurants you've eaten at on the Jade.

Thanks!

We ate at Le Bistro (twice), Cagneys and Moderno. All three were excellent, as usual, and the service in Cagneys was exceptional.

I'm not sure what your experience is with NCL speciality restaurants (I'm on my phone so can't see if you have details in your signature), but from what I have seen the specialities on the Jade seem to be as good as I have had on any NCL ship.

One thing that some people complain about on these ships is the location of Moderno, just above the atrium, which can be noisy. When we were there it was fine as there was just some light music playing, but I can imagine it could be an issue at times. I can see why they are moving Moderno up to deck 13, but I don't think that will happen for a while on the Jade.

The menu for Jasmine Garden looks good and Teppenyaki is always popular. Lots of great options for a week.

Hi There

I have been reading your review with interest as we are doing the 2nd leg of the back2back, which is Croatia etc. I will be interested to read your review for this part = Also if you have booked NCL trips or DIY in Dubrov / Croatia and Athens as we have not booked any yet, we normally go with other roll call people on DIY trips but there isnt much on the roll call for the week we are sailing,

Look forward to your post

Juls :)

:o:o

We ate at Le Bistro (twice), Cagneys and Moderno. All three were excellent, as usual, and the service in Cagneys was exceptional.

I'm not sure what your experience is with NCL speciality restaurants (I'm on my phone so can't see if you have details in your signature), but from what I have seen the specialities on the Jade seem to be as good as I have had on any NCL ship.

One thing that some people complain about on these ships is the location of Moderno, just above the atrium, which can be noisy. When we were there it was fine as there was just some light music playing, but I can imagine it could be an issue at times. I can see why they are moving Moderno up to deck 13, but I don't think that will happen for a while on the Jade.

The menu for Jasmine Garden looks good and Teppenyaki is always popular. Lots of great options for a week.

Thank you! My experience with NCL is that I have none. I'll take my first NCL cruise in October. :o

We will be doing this same B2B cruise in Aug 2015' date=' so I'm finding your review extremely helpful. I'm guessing the ports are pretty hot that time of year?[/quote']

We were really quite worried about the heat, but it wasn't as bad as we feared.

It is certainly very hot, but it was never too much for us, and we did quite a lot of walking.

In Dubrovnik there is little shade and lots of steps when walking the walls, so that was probably the worst place for heat. Otherwise there is lots of shade and air conditioning.

Keith, thank you for taking the time to post your review and honest feelings about Jade. As you know; many people have chimed in over the past six months; some didn't like the food; some didn't like the ship; some didn't like NCL. Well some of us have yet to sail NCL; but are booked on the Jade next year. I know it will not have the upgrades next year; I think it goes to refurb in 2016; anyway, for those of us who were waiting to hear about the ship; service, and food; you have given us your opinion; and I value your opinion. It is nice to know having booked a 14 day trip; I won't have to worry about doing the back to back and getting new room keys etc; it is good to know about the UDP, and making reservations. Although you mentioned Jade not having O'Sheenans; did you feel there are plenty of places to hang out and have a good time? Did you feel the ship was cosmetically in good shape? I am also doing an aft balcony; have not been in one yet; but there seems to be more positive reviews than negative.

Edited by AF-1
added text

AF-1, yes I thought the ship was in pretty good shape. Some minor issues as you would expect on any ship that age, but generally well maintained.

I like Bar Central and Spinnaker as goo places to hang out. There are often things going on in both places but also the ability to sit and chat.

It really is a very nice ship. I feel a bit as if I may have suggested otherwise earlier, but I do like it a not.

Edited by KeithJenner

Keith, good to "catch up". Thanks for the review and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Not much cruise still to enjoy I'm afraid. Sitting at Marco Polo watching out plane land. We're off in about an hour.

As an aside, the Marco Polo lounge is quite nice. There's a viewing terrace where you can watch the planes.

Sorry everyone, I haven't written anything on the ports yet. Maybe tonight.

Thank you for the review. Very helpful. Couple of questions.

In Santorini the ship has an excursion to Oia, then bus to Fira with ticket for tram back to ship. Seems reasonably priced and from what I've read sounds like this excursion tenders separately and before reaching main tender port thus avoiding the mass exodus and tender hassle? Do you know if this was the case?

I've read that you have to pay a Vat of around 22% on top of any ship purchase for the half of the cruise that does not call on a non eu port. Do you know if this is accurate? Just wondering if cost of speciality dining, spa passes etc will incur an additional 22% for half of the cruise.

Thank you for the review. Very helpful. Couple of questions.

In Santorini the ship has an excursion to Oia, then bus to Fira with ticket for tram back to ship. Seems reasonably priced and from what I've read sounds like this excursion tenders separately and before reaching main tender port thus avoiding the mass exodus and tender hassle? Do you know if this was the case?

I've read that you have to pay a Vat of around 22% on top of any ship purchase for the half of the cruise that does not call on a non eu port. Do you know if this is accurate? Just wondering if cost of speciality dining, spa passes etc will incur an additional 22% for half of the cruise.

Yes, the excursions to Oia were tendered separately. From what i could see they were tendering general passengers to Thira from one side of the ship and excursions were going from the other side.

I think you join the cable car/tender free for all on the way back.

The leg of the cruise that just does stops in Greece is subject to VAT for the whole cruise. This applies to shop purchases (at 22% I think) but the rate that applies to bar purchases and speciality restaurants is zero, so there is no effect on those.

I don't use the Spa, so don't know the rate that applies there. I have the dailies though so hopefully I will be able to look it up and report back when I get home.

AF-1, yes I thought the ship was in pretty good shape. Some minor issues as you would expect on any ship that age, but generally well maintained.

I like Bar Central and Spinnaker as goo places to hang out. There are often things going on in both places but also the ability to sit and chat.

It really is a very nice ship. I feel a bit as if I may have suggested otherwise earlier, but I do like it a not.

Very good then. I will have a wonderful time. Thanks and have a safe journey.

** One more question: did you tour Venice on turnaround day?

Edited by AF-1
added content