Norwegian Jade Back to Back Review

KeithJenner

Very good then. I will have a wonderful time. Thanks and have a safe journey.

** One more question: did you tour Venice on turnaround day?

Yes, we treated it like a port of call. Worked well for us.

I'm glad we didn't do it today. The weather wasn't very good. Cold and raining when we left.

Edited by KeithJenner

Keith, we will be cruising May 9-23. We have been on Splendor out of Venice in May and Also Voyager 12 night out of Southampton in May; I think May is the best weather in Europe.

We have done the Epic in late May for the last three years, and I agree that the weather is ideal then.

I have to say, back in the UK now, I miss the August weather in Greece etc. Oh how I wish I was in my balcony with a bottle of wine right now.

We have done the Epic in late May for the last three years, and I agree that the weather is ideal then.

I have to say, back in the UK now, I miss the August weather in Greece etc. Oh how I wish I was in my balcony with a bottle of wine right now.

You and us both! - it has taken us 3 weeks to re-acclimatise and we're still not really there yet. Apparently the weather in UK was not great in July and early August. We lucked out in the Med and only got drenched in Venice on our return.

At least we can look forward to the Jade again over Christmas and New Year.:D:D:D

Yes, we treated it like a port of call. Worked well for us.

I'm glad we didn't do it today. The weather wasn't very good. Cold and raining when we left.

Thank you so much for the great review and helpful information.

Was there a certain time for those intransit to debark, or could you get off whenever you wanted? Returning to the ship, was there a separate line for those intransit or did you have to go through the line with those embarking. I know you have to go through the port security line with passports either way.

thanks for the help, we are also doing a Venice B2B.

Keith, we will be cruising May 9-23. We have been on Splendor out of Venice in May and Also Voyager 12 night out of Southampton in May; I think May is the best weather in Europe.

AF, enjoy your cruise in May! We wished we had done the B2B.

By the way, how did you like the Splendor? We are eyeing her voyage out of Venice to Dubai.

How was your experience checking in at Marco Polo? I read that you should allow 3 hours prior to the flight time for arrival and check in. I don't remember it being that busy the last time we were there, but that was in 2006.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you so much for the great review and helpful information.

Was there a certain time for those intransit to debark, or could you get off whenever you wanted? Returning to the ship, was there a separate line for those intransit or did you have to go through the line with those embarking. I know you have to go through the port security line with passports either way.

thanks for the help, we are also doing a Venice B2B.

You could get off whenever you wanted. Just walked off with everyone else.

It was a bit messy for us getting back on, as there was a car fire just outside the terminal so everything closed down for a while. However, we went in through the same entrance as everyone else (skipping the bag drop obviously) and then just walked through the terminal, past the check in lines, and boarded as normal. Really easy.

How was your experience checking in at Marco Polo? I read that you should allow 3 hours prior to the flight time for arrival and check in. I don't remember it being that busy the last time we were there, but that was in 2006.

Our flight was quite late, and I believe the 3 hour time limit for check in is set by the airport, as all airlines seemed to be working that way, and there was a sign on the bag collection when we flew in saying not to arrive before then.

The departures lounge was really packed. As we were a little early, we waited outside the terminal, where there are quite a few benches. If you can avoid it then I wouldn't turn up much before the 3 hours.

I'm not sure what the facilities and waiting areas are like after checking in, as we were in the lounge. It didn't look like there was much seating, but I may have missed it.

Dubrovnik

This is my second attempt at a review of Dubrovnik, but the app crashed half way through writing the first attempt. I'm writing this one elsewhere and will paste it in.

Anyway, our intention for Dubrovnik was to walk the walls and then take things from there. The cruise terminal is quite a way from the old town and we hadn't planned transport. In the end, we used the NCL shuttle for $15 each return. In the port there were taxis available for $10 each way, which we would probably use if we returned. If there are just two people then there is little price difference.

It is worth being outside as you pull into port, as it is a nice place to sail into. Just be aware that, like all ports where you arrive during the day, it is quite a scrum to get off.

The bus drops off just outside the Pile Gate, where you can also catch a return taxi. Just inside the gate is a fountain where you can fill water bottles, and you will need a lot of them if you walk the walls. There are places along the wall where you can buy water and other soft drinks (fresh squeezed orange seems popular).

There is very little shade on the walls, and it was very hot. However, there was a really nice atmosphere, with people taking pictures for others and pointing out sights to strangers. The walls really shouldn't be missed.

Once we had finished walking the walls, we needed a rest, so found a bar and had a drink. Everyone in Dubrovnik seemed to speak English, and it is a really pleasant place to be. We found a free wifi near Pile Gate, to introduce our friends to a barrage of Facebook photos, and just wandered for a while.

We had considered the cable car, but I think that needs to be done first. We will certainly do it when we return.

I had heard a lot of good things about Dubrovnik before the cruise and they were all correct. It is a great place to visit and we hope to return very soon.

The shuttle bus returns from outside Pile Gate, near the drop off point, and was a good reintroduction to continental Europe queuing. We have been to Europe enough to have had plenty of experience, but it is always an eye opener, one which you will probably encounter plenty of times onboard the ship. Basically, everyone queues very politely and then a load of people who don't fancy doing the same just wander in front of everyone. You just have to let it go.

Once back onboard, sit back and relax. It's a sea day tomorrow, and then a couple of hard days if you're doing Athens and Ephesus, so this sea day is really one you need to make the most of.

Edited by KeithJenner

You could get off whenever you wanted. Just walked off with everyone else.

It was a bit messy for us getting back on, as there was a car fire just outside the terminal so everything closed down for a while. However, we went in through the same entrance as everyone else (skipping the bag drop obviously) and then just walked through the terminal, past the check in lines, and boarded as normal. Really easy.

Thanks for the information, very helpful for planning our Venice turn-around-day

Looking forward to the rest of your review

Keith, Royal Caribbean Splendor is a wonderful ship. It is about the same size as Jade; Jade is 975 ft long; Splendor is 867. She was refurbished about 18 months ago; and Royal added a few more dining options, Movie screen at the pool, and a few others. She is a great size for the small european ports. It was one of my wife and I fav ships; we almost chose to do a b2b on her; but NCL Jade had way better pricing and more OBC. Plus we have never sailed NCL, and are looking forward to aft cabin, freestyle dining, and the wonderful staff

Hi Keith

Thanks for your very informative review!

We are on the Jade in October doing the 7 night Greek Isles cruise. You mentioned that you cruised with your 10 year old son. Did he attend the Splash Academy and if so, did he enjoy it? We are travelling with our 2 children aged 8 and 5 years so we are very interested to hear about the Jade's Splash Academy.

Thanks in advance!

Dubrovnik

This is my second attempt at a review of Dubrovnik, but the app crashed half way through writing the first attempt. I'm writing this one elsewhere and will paste it in.

Anyway, our intention for Dubrovnik was to walk the walls and then take things from there. The cruise terminal is quite a way from the old town and we hadn't planned transport. In the end, we used the NCL shuttle for $15 each return. In the port there were taxis available for $10 each way, which we would probably use if we returned. If there are just two people then there is little price difference.

It is worth being outside as you pull into port, as it is a nice place to sail into. Just be aware that, like all ports where you arrive during the day, it is quite a scrum to get off.

The bus drops off just outside the Pile Gate, where you can also catch a return taxi. Just inside the gate is a fountain where you can fill water bottles, and you will need a lot of them if you walk the walls. There are places along the wall where you can buy water and other soft drinks (fresh squeezed orange seems popular).

There is very little shade on the walls, and it was very hot. However, there was a really nice atmosphere, with people taking pictures for others and pointing out sights to strangers. The walls really shouldn't be missed.

Once we had finished walking the walls, we needed a rest, so found a bar and had a drink. Everyone in Dubrovnik seemed to speak English, and it is a really pleasant place to be. We found a free wifi near Pile Gate, to introduce our friends to a barrage of Facebook photos, and just wandered for a while.

We had considered the cable car, but I think that needs to be done first. We will certainly do it when we return.

I had heard a lot of good things about Dubrovnik before the cruise and they were all correct. It is a great place to visit and we hope to return very soon.

The shuttle bus returns from outside Pile Gate, near the drop off point, and was a good reintroduction to continental Europe queuing. We have been to Europe enough to have had plenty of experience, but it is always an eye opener, one which you will probably encounter plenty of times onboard the ship. Basically, everyone queues very politely and then a load of people who don't fancy doing the same just wander in front of everyone. You just have to let it go.

Once back onboard, sit back and relax. It's a sea day tomorrow, and then a couple of hard days if you're doing Athens and Ephesus, so this sea day is really one you need to make the most of.

Hi There

I am finding your review great, I am looking forward to your review of Athens and Croatia, have you booked excurtions or are you DIY I am interested to know about croatia split if it is possible to do it youself from the ship/port.

Carry on reviewing so useful thanks

Juls

Hi Keith

Thanks for your very informative review!

We are on the Jade in October doing the 7 night Greek Isles cruise. You mentioned that you cruised with your 10 year old son. Did he attend the Splash Academy and if so, did he enjoy it? We are travelling with our 2 children aged 8 and 5 years so we are very interested to hear about the Jade's Splash Academy.

Thanks in advance!

Our son loves splash academy. He is actually 9 at the moment, so is in the same group that your 8 year old would be.

He has been in the kids club on a number of NCL ships, and seemed to enjoy the Jade a lot. I'm sure your kids will have a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi There

I am finding your review great, I am looking forward to your review of Athens and Croatia, have you booked excurtions or are you DIY I am interested to know about croatia split if it is possible to do it youself from the ship/port.

Carry on reviewing so useful thanks

Juls

Split is really easy to DIY, as it is a fairly short walk to Diocletian's Palace. It's a great port to visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers Keith, thank you for you review. We are looking at this cruise. We were on the Spirit last year and loved that ship and the ports. If you go next year, you will have a wonderful time.

Looking foreword to your port reviews.

Athens

Apologies for the delay in updating, but things have been really busy since we got home.

The main thing I wanted to see in Athens was the Panatheniac Stadium. I have always been interested in the history of the Olympics, and I remember seeing pictures of the stadium when I was a kid. I don’t know much about Greek history, but Athens is one of those cities which is great to visit even if you don’t know much about it.

We decided to use the train to get into Athens, as it seemed fairly easy to do so. The only problem is that it is about a mile walk from the port to the station, although it is a fairly easy walk. The station is just after the pedestrian bridge crosses the road.

There were many taxis available at the port, so there should be no problem getting transport even if you haven’t made plans.

The train fare was very cheap (about €4 for 24 hours travel if my memories serves). You take the Green line to Omonia station and then change to the Red line to Acropolis. I was expecting long queues when we got there, but it was fairly quiet. The queues built up fairly quickly, so I assume that despite not rushing off the ship and having to walk to the station, we still beat the crowds.

We had decided not to climb up the hill, and instead went into the Acropolis museum which was very interesting and has quite good views of the site itself. I am undecided as to whether this was the correct decision but it did mean that we had more time and energy to see other places.

We had a good look around the museum and then wandered towards the Panatheniac Stadium, walking past some other sites on the way, such as the Temple of Olympian Zeus.

The Stadium is well worth visiting. You can run on the track, stand on the winners podium and there are some good views back to the Acropolis from the top of the stands. There is also a small museum featuring posters and torches from past Olympics.

Next, we made our way through the National Gardens to Syntagma where we watched the changing of the guard (it happens every hour, although the main one is some time during the morning). It was quite entertaining. The gardens were a very welcome break from the heat.

After wandering around for a while more, we headed back to the port, which was once again a very easy train ride and walk.

I hadn’t known what we would make of Athens, as I have read a number of comments that it appears very much affected by the economic situation. However, except for the graffiti that is such a feature of a number of places you visit on this cruise, I liked it a lot. We saw the ancient monuments from a distance, which isn’t now many would want to do it, but it worked well for us.

I’m pleased we took the train, as it was so easy despite the heat. We had the opportunity to see a lot by walking around the city. If you don’t mind a bit of walking then this is a very easy city to DIY.

Kusadasi

As I mentioned earlier, we didn’t have any plans to go into Ephesus as we will be back again next year, so I’m afraid that this will be quite short and I can’t offer any help on visiting the site.

Instead, we just spent a couple of hours in Kusadasi. We had a brief walk round the shopping areas (lots of pressure from the shopkeepers), and then spent some time at the seafront. There are a lot of bars and restaurants, and our son had some fun on the beach and in one of the playgrounds.

Overall, there was plenty to keep us occupied for a couple of hours, without us having had any plans, and it was a very pleasant place to be.

We had some Turkish Lira, but didn’t need to use them at all, as everywhere that we spent any money accepted Euros. We didn’t buy much though, so perhaps Lira may have been necessary in some places.

Overall, we had a very relaxing day, which was welcome after Athens. I imagine that Athens followed by Ephesus could be quite hard work.

One small highlight for us was seeing the Norwegian Spirit arrive in the early afternoon. It was good to see the ship that we had such a great time on earlier this year, and that we are looking forward to being on again next year. The two ships don’t dock in the same place all that often, as the Spirit is on a 12 day itinerary, but this was the first of two places where we met on this cruise.

Do you have any information on the cruise staff list.? I would love to know if there are any changes do we can update a different forum.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I've got the card they give out at the M&G somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.