Unlimited internet on Oasis?

ggglo

Going on 12 day transatlantic on Oasis on Sept 1st. Do they offer unlimited internet on this ship? Had it last year on the Allure. Anyone know?

Yes, there is unlimited internet. Cost is normally $190 for one device for 7 days. Might be different on the TA.

I was reading about the new service form O3P and it seems the satellites which are closer actually follow the ship to make the connection more reliable and faster....but looking at the coverage map they do not offer coverage in the mid Atlantic...

I wonder if they will be able to even offer this service during our crossing?

Can't wait to see the speed improvements.

I was reading about the new service form O3P and it seems the satellites which are closer actually follow the ship to make the connection more reliable and faster....but looking at the coverage map they do not offer coverage in the mid Atlantic...

They didn't in May on the Independence TA. Their explanation was pretty much what you said. :)

Oasis and Allure as supposed to have the new O3B antennas installed within the next 30 days or so...and then tested....so we should know a lot more soon.

We're hoping Allure has the unlimited high speed Internet for next year's cruise in the Mediterranean.

The O3B satellites are not as high as the geosynchronous satellites in use now, but they don't follow the ship. The antennas on the ship follow the satellite.

The O3B satellites are not as high as the geosynchronous satellites in use now, but they don't follow the ship. The antennas on the ship follow the satellite.

I think you'll see that this new system actually does follow the ship. I have attached an image.

OB3.jpg.2f7fc10dca0570a6e8025060d60d5def.jpg

I think you'll see that this new system actually does follow the ship. I have attached an image.

Steerable beams follow the ship, but the satellite does not change orbits based on the ship's course.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok on Oasis TA internet package as follows.

Full 12 night $275 coupon diamond price $245

7 day special $140 coupon $110

24 hr straight $50 coupon $20

60 mins $20. Free for diamond

These are all single device, no multiple device offered.

Hello why is the 12 night double the 7. Wow

Thanks for the update, interesting that no multi-device plans are offered.

Edited by clarea

THIS is very valuable information. Thank you, Bosjoe.

Have a fantastic crossing!

If you know/meet Jane and Doug, tell them that I say "hi"! ;)

BTW, $140 for seven days is LESS than the price on a 7 night cruise, so they are discounting that. The "regular" week price is $190, so roughly $27/day. Your 7 day price is $20 a day. $275 for 14 days is $19.65/day, so your two prices are basically the same. But you wouldn't have to purchase the full 14 days if you didn't want to, and you could still get a "decent" price.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Steerable beams follow the ship, but the satellite does not change orbits based on the ship's course.

This is all Geek to me! ;) :D

I assume you mean $30 as the Diamond coupon is worth $30

On the 7 day last week they also started some offers towards the end of the cruise eg we took out a 72 hour package for the last 3 days which cost $70 with the D package or $100 full price

I assume you mean $30 as the Diamond coupon is worth $30

On the 7 day last week they also started some offers towards the end of the cruise eg we took out a 72 hour package for the last 3 days which cost $70 with the D package or $100 full price

That is correct.

I bought the 7 day which for me was the best value. It's slow as molasses, but it works. If anyone uses viber for phone calls, it does not work on Oasis.

I have been in contact with a friend on the OASIS TA sailing right now. She reports the internet is working very well in fact we have had a few Skype video calls with great success including the evening she stopped to disembark the ill passenger off the coast of Bermuda.

• 1 month later...
I can only imagine the drama that will be happen with the faster internet speeds with folks falling off the ship, into the pool, or into their fellow passenger while texting or Skyping. Or half the MDR yelling into their phones that they are on a cruise to their co-workers.

Lol!

Honestly I think YOU are being a little dramatic!

• 2 months later...
I wonder if you could connect one device then use a travel router and clone the mac address to make it multiple devices :)

If your travel router supports both wireless WAN and wireless LAN connections, then it should work. However, if it needs a wired WAN connection, that would not be possible.

Best idea I've seen is to use a laptop to connect to the WiFi and then connect other devices to the laptop via Bluetooth.

Just thought with laptop you could bridge the wired and wireless run the router from the laptop wired then support all the devices, I am starting to like this idea. Keep the laptop on and the phones and Ipad would all work fine.

Anyone try this?