London 2015 pre-cruise help

Blondilu

I am doing some preliminary research for a pre-cruise stay in London next summer. Our current thought is to do 4 days. We want to see the usual, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, St. Paul's, The Tower of London and Westminster Abbey and maybe Churchill's War Room. I thought we might take 1 day to go out to Windsor Castle. Today I was checking different things out and found an all day trip to Stonehenge, Avebury and Glastonbury that looks very interesting.

The question is: Can the sites in London itself be done in 2 days or is 3 more reasonable? What I was thinking was Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and vicinity on 1 day, St. Paul's and The Tower on another day, then Windsor on the 3rd leaving the 4th for the Stonehenge trip. Is that pushing it to the point of not being able to enjoy each of the London sites? Or are we looking at changing our plan from 4 to 5 days? Or dropping something off the list?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Some folk have to make do with just one rushed day in central London.

Others take four days - or more.

Two or three is the norm. Which I guess doesn't solve your dilemma. :p

Depends very much how in-depth you want to visit sites.

A full circuit on a ho-ho is about 2.5 hrs, a river trip (included with ho-ho tickets) about 30 - 60 minutes depending on the line. Good for an over-view & to see many many sights which you'll not have the time or inclination to see in-depth.

In-depth at the Tower of London will take a full morning, Buck Palace (booking essential) and Westminster Abbey each a full hour or more, St Paul's probably under an hour.

Churchill's War Rooms I can't help.

Then there's the museums - they could take you a fortnight !!!

One good thing - London's tube (metro) service is extensive, frequent & fast. So there'll be little time lost between sights.

Glastonbury is a favourite of mine.

Magical & mystical, the ruined Abbey (sacked by Henry V111) with the reputed graves of King Arthur & Guinevere, the conical hill called Glastonbury Tor which claims to be Arthur's Isle of Avalon, the resting place of the Holy Grail, and the entrance to the Underworld. And the Abbey's treasures are reputed to be buried there to keep them out of Henry V11's clutches.

Lots of occult stuff in the shops.

Glastonbury has had multiple UFO sightings, and it's also in cider country. Those two facts just might be linked :D

But it's a long drive - about 3 hours from central London. So with Stonehenge & Avebury Ring too it'd be a rushed tour plus a numb backside.

Sadly, I don't think it worthwhile in your time-scale.

Windsor, on the other hand, is under an hour by frequent train services, around £11 for a cheap-day return. Town & castle are worth about 90 minutes each. So doesn't have to occupy a full day.

One thought.

If you are sailing out of Southampton there's a reputable privately-operated cruise-bus which collects you from your central London hotel & takes you to your ship via time at Stonehenge.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_via_stonehenge_shared_bus.html

(extremely good info about London sights, transport, etc on other pages of that website)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Wow, that is more info than I hoped for! Thank you so much. I have a much clearer idea now and we can plan our stay accordingly. Even though it's next year I'm so excited!! Thanks again and thanks for the website. I will make good use of it.

Some folk have to make do with just one rushed day in central London.

Others take four days - or more.

Two or three is the norm. Which I guess doesn't solve your dilemma. :p

One thought.

If you are sailing out of Southampton there's a reputable privately-operated cruise-bus which collects you from your central London hotel & takes you to your ship via time at Stonehenge.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_via_stonehenge_shared_bus.html

(extremely good info about London sights, transport, etc on other pages of that website)

I'm puzzled by your response. We were wondering whether the week in London that we're planning next June after our Montreal to Southampton cruise was sufficient. How can one do London in only 3 or 4 days?

I'm puzzled by your response. We were wondering whether the week in London that we're planning next June after our Montreal to Southampton cruise was sufficient. How can one do London in only 3 or 4 days?

Simple answer, one can't.

We leave early September for 6 weeks for our 37th time in London and have never seen it ALL.

No, for some a week isn't long enough.

Nor is a month. Nor a year.

But you've reminded me of a US trip which included three days in Washington DC. Nowhere near enough time to visit all the monuments & museums. But after 3 days I was museum'd-out. So pleased I hadn't booked a solid week there, but well worth a return visit. Which will leave me 35 behind Orchestrapal. ;)

And folk have to draw the line somewhere. Where they draw it depends on so many factors - depth of interest, depth of pocket, work or family or other commitments. Especially when combined with a cruise.

Some visitors will also want to combine a London visit with exploring bits of England.

That's a country near London. ;)

Have a great week :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks, JB and Orchestra pal. No, one can't do just museums, but then there are all the lovely train trips out of London, the London eye, wonderful parks, etc. We'll going to have a difficult but pleasant time deciding what to do in only a week.

I agree basically with the info John Bull has provided, but I don't think he has given long enough for each visit. I don't think I could see Windsor Castle in 90 minutes or just spend an hour in Westminster Abbey.

Personally, I'm not keen on Glastonbury, full of new age hippies and strange shops. I much prefer Wells with its beautiful cathedral and Bishop's Palace.

If it was my first visit to London and I had the time and money I would be looking at a week. There are far more things to see apart from museums, like going to the theatre or a show, strolling around Covent Garden, a visit to Oxford, Cambridge or Canterbury, all easily accessible on a day trip from London.

If it was my first visit to London and I had the time and money I would be looking at a week. There are far more things to see apart from museums, like going to the theatre or a show, strolling around Covent Garden, a visit to Oxford, Cambridge or Canterbury, all easily accessible on a day trip from London.

Enthusiastic "yes" for your suggestion of a staying a week including a couple of trips outside the city.

But we'll agree to disagree on strolling Covent Garden, at least in the evening. My point of view may be colored by the fact that we tend to be in that area in the evening for a pre-theater meal and a show. That's when the sidewalks clog up with street performers and a stroll more closely resembles a slalom. The stores generally feature too many brands that I can easily purchase in my local mall so shopping has little appeal. Finally, the percentage of truly appealing street performers is rather low. (Definitely not a fan of the many performers whose talent consists painting themselves from head to toe and holding a pose.)

I'll put in a plug for a visit to the Globe Theater. The interactive displays are really appealing. You don't have to attend a performance to come away with a meaningful experience there.

I know the British Museum is on most first-timers list for the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles, but there are great brief, free tours that share the wonders of the remaining collections: Eye Opener tours and Spotlight tours.

Eye Opener tours are 30-40 minute explanations of a particular collection. They're given at specific times of the day. The Spotlight tours are given on Friday evening These 20 minute talks focus on the absolute most popular destinations within the museum: the Parthenon, the Rosetta Stone, the Enlightenment, and death practices in Ancient Egypt. Each of those tours is scheduled twice on a Friday night. If you were to start with one of the 5:00 PM tours, you could actually take all four tours.

Here's the link to the list of all tours at the British Museum. http://www.britishmuseum.org/visiting/planning_your_visit/free_tours_and_talks.aspx

You are getting some wonderful responses, but it is really up to you, how YOU want to see London. If you just want to 'SEE' the main sites, 3-4 days are fine. If you want to delve into some of them and really pay attention to what you are seeing, sure, a week, won't be enough.

Certain sites you can 'just see', like Big Ben and Parliament, others you need to spend some time there, like Tower of London, any of the museums. If you are going when they offer tours of Buckingham Palace, then that does take time and I would recommend it, it is marvelous.

We did certain things fairly quick, just a brief visit et al, like St Paul's, and Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge experience. We did the Tower of London in about 4 hours, while others will spend the entre day there. It is up to you and how you want to view certain things.

We did a day trip to Paris, via the Eurostar. Sure we only got 8 hours in Paris, but we saw what we wanted to see and we had a ball.

Obviously, if you can arrange to spend more days in London, it would be to your benefit, but you can see what you want to see in 3-4 days.

Cheers

Len

Just to add to John Bull's excellent post - the Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum can eat up your time if you are not careful. The Churchill Museum provides a great overview of the last 150 years of British history - we spent a whole morning in there and did not see it all.

If you are into history then allow at least 3-4 hours.

Also, the 11 bus passes most of the main tourist sites.

Edited by SteveH2508

Another wonderful day trip is Hampton Court Palace--easily done by train. We also enjoyed Greenwich, which we reached via the Thames river cruise and then took the train back to London. You can pack a lot into 3-4 days just seeing London. Since it's your first trip, I would probably do that and as JB has suggested see Stonehenge on the way to Southampton rather using one of your days in London. There's so much to see and do in London itself.

All this info is just so marvelous, thank you all. I now have such a better idea of what we can and can't do time wise.

I am seriously thinking about adding another day. Or heck, a whole month! Just as soon as I win the lottery. LOL.

Re the private transfer with a stop in Stonehenge on the way to your ship: If its "International Friends" we had a poor experience with them this past June.

The "guide" was completely inexperienced and wasted up to almost an hour while she bought the tickets (she was on the wrong line). To compensate, she pushed back our departure time bringing us to the ship too close to boarding time.

But worse than that, there were two Princess ships departing Southampton that day. The first drop off was the Emerald where the driver unloaded baggage that should have stayed on the bus until we got to the Ruby. It was a very good thing that an alert Ruby passenger noticed her suitcase going on the Emerald conveyer. Imagine if she hadn't been looking out the window! The driver admitted he hadn't read the tag.

I can't recommend them.

I've got to "ditto" a lot of the above.

I've been to London for business and pleasure a many times now. Our first trip, we spent just under a week, walked everywhere we could, Tubed where we couldn't, and left exhausted. I returned numerous times to either London or Salisbury; my wife and I spent four nights pre-cruise in 2012, and plan 5 nights next year. It's like New York (or Washington, although I would certainly have pointed John at some non-museum activities!) in that you'll never see it all, but if you pick a few things you enjoy, you'll leave happy.

My one add is that if you do a tour to Stonehenge, I hope it adds at least a brief stop in Salisbury. The cathedral is beautiful, and features one of a handful of original copies of the Magna Carta. And the town has a charm you won't find in London (and some great pubs, of course!).

If doing Stonehenge etc .

I would do that as part of the get to Southampton day and think about an overnight or two at one of the locations or Southampton giving much more time.

Same with other side trips, there is the convenience of not repacking by day tripping from London but most can taek more than just a day and the hotels are MUCH cheaper.

It's a shame baggal had a poor experience with the Cruise Bus - they're generally well-received, but obviously a poor guide & driver that time.

The Cruise Bus doesn't stop at Salisbury now, it used to make a short visit to the Cathedral but because of the new visitor centre & arrangements at Stonehenge that stop now takes longer & the time-scale to get folk to the ship in good time precludes Salisbury. In the opposite direction (So'ton to London) there's not the same time constraints so it's a much more comprehensive itinerary, though the stop at Salisbury is a very short one.

I'll echo Markeb's comments about Salisbury, a compact, attractive & laid-back cathedral city & a favourite of mine - I used to go to school there, the school was (& still is) in the Cathedral Close.

Easy to visit on a private London or Heathrow or Gatwick to Southampton transfer, or half an hour from Southampton by train.

Edited by John Bull

Personally, I'd give Stonehenge a miss if you are pushed for time.

I totally agree. In the days when you could walk among the stones it was a good experience. Now, to stand behind a fence 100 feet or more away you can see it better on a travelogue. Not worth the ride!

I totally disagree. We loved our time at Stonehenge. it has always been a place I've dreamed of seeing and being there, even if you are behind a rope, is still amazing. To see this 'pile of rocks' as some call it, for us, was a wonderful experience. Just the mystic of the entire thing, well, for us, truly enjoyable, and, as I said, a lifelong bucket list thing, crossed off.

Cheers

Len

I totally disagree. We loved our time at Stonehenge. it has always been a place I've dreamed of seeing and being there, even if you are behind a rope, is still amazing. To see this 'pile of rocks' as some call it, for us, was a wonderful experience. Just the mystic of the entire thing, well, for us, truly enjoyable, and, as I said, a lifelong bucket list thing, crossed off.

Cheers

Len

Hi, Len.

When I was a kiddie at school I used to live about 3 miles from Stonehenge.

And always regarded it as a pile of rocks :D

But it does have a fascination for overseas visitors.

Many of us Brits tend to be blasé about such places because we're surrounded by ancient history.

And lots of folk travel the world but ignore places on their own doorstep - I plead guilty to that. :o

One thing's for sure. You need to read-up about it first, the background is important. Otherwise visitors too will just see it as a pile of rocks.

I researched on TripAdvisor about the Little Bighorn battle site for an up-coming US road trip & a contributor made the self-same point, that there's little to see & you need to know the background to make it come alive.

I knew exactly what he meant.

Cheers

Len

I agree. It is on my bucket list. I will get to cross it off on the second day of my TA.

John Bull: You couldn't be more correct about reading up a bit on place before you visit. Or at least take the time to learn something about it while you're there.

The Little Big Horn site is a good example. I've been there twice. The first time I paid little attention and came away with the same pre-conceived notions I arrived with. The second time I took the time to watch the interpretive film and also had a lengthy conversation with one of the docents. I learned so much and as a result, enjoyed the visit so much more.

The truth is that there often "is little to see" at the places we go visit. But if you take the time to understand the place and the people "little" becomes so much more.

Another quick example: so many here have encouraged me to spend more than 4 days in London if I can (as well as the surrounding areas). But, I know a woman from the UK who told me 3 days in London is more than enough for her and she has no idea why anyone would spend any time there.

Cheers

Len

Stonehenge was on my bucket list, too, and I was thrilled to finally get there in 2010. To me it was awe inspiring, and I was very glad that we finally got to see it. Pre-cruise next month we are taking a transfer that will stop there soI can see it again. DH, on the other hand, wasn't too impressed, but he had been there in the late 1960's when you could walk freely through the stones.

in june july 2013 we enjoyed one of the best trips of our lives

I tried to write a detailed review of our 5 nights in London and 5 nights in Southampton - none of which was long enough - we are going to return in 2016 to see all the places we still want to see -

I just brought the review up to the top so you can find it if you wish - hope it helps !!

john bull and Cotswold eagle were among the top advisors for us !!!