Themes of HAL ships?

jaguarstyper

I had a conversation with a co-worker this afternoon and she mentioned something about Holland America ships all having a "theme" of some sort. She said Nieuw Amsterdam having a New York City theme and Eurodam having some other theme. I never really heard of this before.

Was she just making this up, or is this true? If it is true, what are the "themes" of all the HAL ships?

I had a conversation with a co-worker this afternoon and she mentioned something about Holland America ships all having a "theme" of some sort. She said Nieuw Amsterdam having a New York City theme and Eurodam having some other theme. I never really heard of this before.

Was she just making this up, or is this true? If it is true, what are the "themes" of all the HAL ships?

According to HAL, "Launched from Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard in Venice on July 4, 2010, the 86,000-ton Nieuw Amsterdam celebrates the glamour and history of New York City, formerly called Nieuw Amsterdam, with its inspired interior design and art collection."

For more background information, go to: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/NieuwAmsterdam

Maybe this is what your co-worker was referring to, more an historical link than a theme.

Found this with Google:

Eurodam's onboard theme is "The Dutch Golden Age - An Inexhaustible Tradition." As such, a wonderful art collection (including many pieces made by famous Dutch artists) is featured onboard Eurodam reflecting this theme.

Many of Zaandam’s public spaces follow a music theme, from the ornamental baroque pipe organ in the atrium to the saxophone autographed by Bill Clinton saxophone in the Sea View Lounge, and the electric guitars displayed in the atrium stair tower, signed by Queen, Eric Clapton, and the Rolling Stones.

The HAL site says:

The beautiful garden theme of the ms Volendam is reflected in an artful floral motif throughout the ship's spacious public rooms and elegant staterooms. "Flowers" can be found in abundance in the forms of floral fabrics and tapestries, as well as huge vases of tropical floral arrangements and chrysanthemums.

etc ...

Edited by catl331

ZUIDERDAM THEME(S)

Per HAL website:

Bold and bright colors are the décor theme for this contemporary cruise, with rich accents and an easy layout for getting around onboard.

Per Fromers website:

Designed to help HAL shed its image as your grandmother's cruise line and attract baby boomers, the first of these vessels -- 2002's Zuiderdam -- came off totally unnatural, mixing ultrabright Carnival-esque colors, stark W Hotel modernism, and the traditional style for which HAL was previously known.

In the spirit of learning from their mistakes, HAL has gone back and tweaked parts of the Zuiderdam, replacing some of the loudest carpeting with darker shades.

Per Cruisemates website:

Heretofore known for its decorousness, with Zuiderdam, Holland America goes for the glitz in a big, big, Carnival way, presumably in an attempt to lure younger passengers and families.

Once you get beyond the decor, the ship is still fully subscribed to Holland America's "Signature of Excellence" program of enhancements in nearly every area of the ship.

Found on various links through Google:

The Statendam's onboard theme is of Dutch life and exploration

With a Dutch worldwide exploration theme, the decor of ms Ryndam features art and artifacts from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

The interior theme of Maasdam is based on a tribute to Dutch East and West India companies of the 17th through 19th centuries.

There is a floral theme onboard Veendam, and this is evident as there are various floral arrangements and paintings of flowers throughout the ship...it's quite beautiful.

The ms Rotterdam, one of Holland America's mid-sized ships, is actually the sixth ship in Holland America Line's history to be named Rotterdam; that's why her true name is Rotterdam VI. In fact, the first Rotterdam set sail way back in 1872, yes 1872! Because of the long and storied history of the Rotterdams, throughout the ship are various memorabilia and art with them as their subject.

Rotterdam/Amsterdam - Aboard Amsterdam, the theme is Dutch and nautical; aboard Rotterdam, it's Continental and Asian.

Volendam - This "R Class" vessel has a garden theme onboard, featuring beautiful floral arrangements and artwork throughout.

Zaandam - Her onboard theme is music, so there is a bunch of memorabilia and artifacts onboard the ship focusing on that subject.

Prinsendam - Nothing found

Zuiderdam - Her art collection carries a Venetian theme throughout the ship; the most dazzling features figures in the time of Carnival in Venice, created by Daniel Ogier.

Oosterdam - The theme of the art aboard Oosterdam is that of the Dutch expansion and exploration to America as well as in Asia in the 17th century.

Westerdam - The theme of ms Westerdam's art collection is Dutch heritage in the New World.

Noordam - Nothing found

Eurodam - Following in the Holland America Line tradition, the ms Eurodam features an exquisite art collection based on the theme, "The Dutch Golden Age — An Inexhaustible Tradition".

Nieuw Amsterdam - Nieuw Amsterdam celebrates the glamour and history of New York City, formerly called Nieuw Amsterdam, with its inspired interior design and art collection.

The Prinsendam's art is unique - featuring pieces from around the world.

Some of it is very stunning and some just amazing.

Definitely worth taking the ipod tour on this ship.

To me, it reflects the voyages of the world, it does have beautiful pottery and a lot of beautiful things, but there is no hiding the fact that the fact this ship has been around the world and there are beautiful things to be seen

On the Zaandam? I've been on her alot in the past few years and can't remember seeing that and really don't know how I would have miss those lips.:eek::D:eek:

They're over on the opposite side from the Explorations Cafe... after you go through that walkway with the Future Cruise Consultant... on Rotterdam it's the spot where the terra cotta warriors are

I was initially referring to the red lips bench on the Zuiderdam... it was a couch that could have passed for Mick's lips. I didn't see THAT the last on the Zuiderdam. I was looking for a photo I took, but can't locate it. I was told THAT had been removed.

Edited by UPNYGuy
looking for photo to upload

I was initially referring to the red lips bench on the Zuiderdam... it was a couch that could have passed for Mick's lips. I didn't see THAT the last on the Zuiderdam. I was looking for a photo I took, but can't locate it. I was told THAT had been removed.

The Lips sofa was in the Northern Lights disco. The other booths surrounding the dance floor were black and white cow prints. (Holstein, to be specific.) When I looked back at our 2003 photos, all the disco pix are labeled "Cows Nest."

I think that there may have been a lip couch on the Oosterdam as well. I hope that they're still there. They really helped with the butt kissing jokes.

The Lips sofa was in the Northern Lights disco. The other booths surrounding the dance floor were black and white cow prints. (Holstein, to be specific.) When I looked back at our 2003 photos, all the disco pix are labeled "Cows Nest."

I think that there may have been a lip couch on the Oosterdam as well. I hope that they're still there. They really helped with the butt kissing jokes.

THATS where it was!!! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums