Would you do a suite guarantee (W) rate under these conditions?

sperkins921

I know that many here kind of dread the W suite guarantee category because of the chance of getting one of the few accessible S2's. We have the opportunity to book one and I thought I'd poll the lovely community here.

Would you be willing to book a W if:

-you were booking within 3 weeks of final payment (makes no difference to you personally as you're prepared to pay for the cruise fully the moment you book)

-it is a Reflection sailing in December (just throwing that bg info out there)

-there was a healthy mix of ALL suite categories still left: 60% of the AC suites, at least 10 S2's, at least 10 S1's (including many of the aft corners), 2 or 3 CS, 1 Signature, 2 Royals, and the Reflection suite remain unbooked

-only one of the S2's unbooked was accessible

-you would be okay with whatever happens either way

So, given those odds (and again being okay with the worse cabin possible, and knowing that shuffling of other guests is always possible and you'll get their cabin) is this a gamble that you'd be willing to take?

We normally would book A2 and request our CC bump to A1; the difference in price between that and the W is about $600. We have never sailed a suite. Even if we were in an AS, we would be saving money, esp over the normal price of that cabin. And, yes, I understand that my chances of sailing away in that one Reflection cabin are basically nill. :D

Input?

Yes, without a second thought. I was booked in an aqua cabin for a past Reflection cruise and decided to switch to suite guarantee prior to final payment. I was assigned an aqua suite within 3 days of the switch and still before final payment.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Edited by vulcan1971

As you know the rule of thumb is to only book what you are going to be happy with. I have not had an AC cabin but I traveled with someone that did. It was a huge bathroom and they loved it just fine. Of course some have reported water from shower on the floor being an issue.

I looked at that sailing a couple of days ago and calculated I would take that risk.

I have kicked myself a couple of times for not getting a suite but never for getting one. Lol

Was that 600pp? Absolutely if it is total and probably if pp.

I know that many here kind of dread the W suite guarantee category because of the chance of getting one of the few accessible S2's. We have the opportunity to book one and I thought I'd poll the lovely community here.

Would you be willing to book a W if:

-you were booking within 3 weeks of final payment (makes no difference to you personally as you're prepared to pay for the cruise fully the moment you book)

-it is a Reflection sailing in December (just throwing that bg info out there)

-there was a healthy mix of ALL suite categories still left: 60% of the AC suites, at least 10 S2's, at least 10 S1's (including many of the aft corners), 2 or 3 CS, 1 Signature, 2 Royals, and the Reflection suite remain unbooked

-only one of the S2's unbooked was accessible

-you would be okay with whatever happens either way

So, given those odds (and again being okay with the worse cabin possible, and knowing that shuffling of other guests is always possible and you'll get their cabin) is this a gamble that you'd be willing to take?

We normally would book A2 and request our CC bump to A1; the difference in price between that and the W is about $600. We have never sailed a suite. Even if we were in an AS, we would be saving money, esp over the normal price of that cabin. And, tyes, I understand that my chances of sailing away in that one Reflection cabin are basically nill. :D

Input?

You will most likely get a S2. If you don't like the cabin once assigned you can switch to any other available S2 cabin at no additional cost. You could get very lucky and be assigned a higher category, but you will receive nothing less than an S2. You will receive some additional perks with your cabin including a free dinner at a specialty restaurant. You want to factor the value of the perks into your price difference. Without a doubt, do it!

Orator is completely right. If in the odd chance they did give you the accessible room, if other S2 are available, you can switch without a problem to other available S2 rooms. Jump on it!

Those accessible S2 cabins are highly prized. Much more space and a larger balcony. I wouldn't mind one if available. In fact, I'd jump on it.

Without a doubt, I wouldn't even blink! Chances are you will not get an handicapped S2.

We were in an slanted A2 balcony and decided to spend the same $600 to upgrade to a W, knowing all that was visibly left were AS and some S2s. We were almost immediately given an AS and then we switched to one on the hump. We did hear some noise from above, but did love the cabin and cruises (even with lots of kids on an April Reflection cruise).

Incidentally, we like a bathtub, so we would be more disappointed with a suote without one. We wouldn't love a large overhang either. Not because we lay out a ton in the sun, but we love a lot of light in our cabin.

No matter what, you can't go wrong and the added benefits are worth it (to us) from AQ to Suite for $600.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I noticed that you said the date is December. They are already discounting sailings (not holidays) in that month; I guess that little squeeze of time between Thanksgiving and Christmas isn't ever well sold because most people are recuperating from one holiday while running 100 mph into the next! If you can accept the worst cabin in the category, go for it! Your chances for an S1 or CS might be a hint higher due to the circumstances! Good luck and keep us posted!

Like so many others have said; go for it. A suite is well worth the money.

Be prepared for a S2 and everything else is an added bonus.

For our Connie cruise in May we booked a W category. There was a few accessible suites available and some S2s. We ended up getting a RS.

Great cabin but even thought it was a W cat. it was not a cheap rate.

Sorry I'm new to guarantees and am starting to do research on them. What is the accessible S2 and why are they not desirable? Thanks!

It depends on who you ask if they are desirable. It is a personal preference. Some are under an overhang, and below a public deck. Public decks can = noise which is not desirable. The do not have a bath-tub but a roll in shower, so it is a large bathroom. In general accessible cabins are larger than standard cabins in the same class.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sorry I'm new to guarantees and am starting to do research on them. What is the accessible S2 and why are they not desirable? Thanks!

As stated by NEED2BESPOILED (Reply # 16) some of the S2 Accessible cabins are in what one may consider less desirable locations on the ship.

Like all Accessible Cabins they will be slightly bigger to be able to accommodate the turn around space required by a wheelchair. And the will have bigger bathrooms with a roll in shower.

For non-mobility challenged Oax they either like these cabins or not. Some refer the additional space... While some don't like the roll in showers which without much of a lip means that there is much more water spray / wet floors.

We have had friends & family who have mobility issues sail in Accessible Cabins and been quite happy with them

Otherwise tho I think it is just a case of personal preferences

If it was a good price for a Suite, I'd jump on it... Accessible or not doesn't matter to me (lol, I'm guessing that all the Suite Perks...PLUS my Butler could make me feel better very quickly :D )

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

As you know the rule of thumb is to only book what you are going to be happy with. I have not had an AC cabin but I traveled with someone that did. It was a huge bathroom and they loved it just fine. Of course some have reported water from shower on the floor being an issue.

I looked at that sailing a couple of days ago and calculated I would take that risk.

I have kicked myself a couple of times for not getting a suite but never for getting one. Lol

Was that 600pp? Absolutely if it is total and probably if pp.

It was 600 total. I'm going to pull the trigger. After all, my chances of sitting in a tub on a ship are just about as good as sitting in the one i have at home- and I happen to have a very very nice jetted tub in my bathroom. It's just....I never seem to find the time to wait to fill it, get in, use it, drain it, etc. LOL

On a cruise, I don't honestly know that I'll miss the tub. And towels/shower shoes will take care of the wet floors issue just fine.

I'll keep everyone posted on what we get.

It was 600 total. I'm going to pull the trigger. After all, my chances of sitting in a tub on a ship are just about as good as sitting in the one i have at home- and I happen to have a very very nice jetted tub in my bathroom. It's just....I never seem to find the time to wait to fill it, get in, use it, drain it, etc. LOL

On a cruise, I don't honestly know that I'll miss the tub. And towels/shower shoes will take care of the wet floors issue just fine.

I'll keep everyone posted on what we get.

I believe the Sky suites have a standard tub while the Aqua Suites have a jetted tub. Good luck and let us know how you do when the assignment comes.

I believe the Sky suites have a standard tub while the Aqua Suites have a jetted tub. Good luck and let us know how you do when the assignment comes.

Accessible sky suites have a roll in shower.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

more like a roll in shower if the pictures I saw were an indication of what the bathroom looks like.

That's what I mean to type. Thansk for bringing the error to my attention so I could correct it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

As stated by NEED2BESPOILED (Reply # 16) some of the S2 Accessible cabins are in what one may consider less desirable locations on the ship.

Like all Accessible Cabins they will be slightly bigger to be able to accommodate the turn around space required by a wheelchair. And the will have bigger bathrooms with a roll in shower.

For non-mobility challenged Oax they either like these cabins or not. Some refer the additional space... While some don't like the roll in showers which without much of a lip means that there is much more water spray / wet floors.

We have had friends & family who have mobility issues sail in Accessible Cabins and been quite happy with them

Otherwise tho I think it is just a case of personal preferences

If it was a good price for a Suite, I'd jump on it... Accessible or not doesn't matter to me (lol, I'm guessing that all the Suite Perks...PLUS my Butler could make me feel better very quickly :D )

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, that was really helpful!

This brings me to a question. You're saying you can ask to be upgraded at the time of booking from an S2 to an S1?

Because this from the Celebrity Captain's Club made me think otherwise:

Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.