Pickpockets in Rome

lesliehr

• 3 weeks later...

OP here and back from our trip yesterday.

Happy to report, no incidents to speak of...but that's probably due to following much of the good advice received here on this forum on Cruise Critic.

My husband wore his waist belt under his clothes...but also safety-pinned his front pocket (where he kept his phone).

I had an over-the-shoulder bag where I double-safety-pinned my zipper to an attached loop. This gave me some measure of comfort. It was a pain to unhook the pins every time I wanted to get something from my bag...but over-all worth the trouble.

My DH and I each carried a different credit card, he carried our ATM card, and I carried our cash.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! We had a fantastic trip!

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So after reading this thread, I'm more concerned then I was before, and I was already concerned!! The DW and I have been looking at travel wallet type with the RFID protection. I was looking at the ones that go around your neck and under your shirt.

Has anyone had experience with these type?

I was originally thinking of keeping my regular wallet in my front pocket, but after reading post on here about people getting their front pocket picked (I can't imagine how that happens which scares the heck out of me) I'm thinking that is not a good plan.

Almost thinking I need to duct tape the travel wallet under my shirt to my body!!!!

I have used the PacSafe (before RFIDs) inside my top. It was not easy to use, so I kept having to use my husband's cash and CC.

My husband used a vest with many inner and outer pockets where he kept my camera and other things. Sometimes he just put his wallet in his front pocket.

We only carried a Photocopy of our passport in Rome.

I used a large rubber band around the money and credit cards and kept them in my front pocket. And I wore almost always jeans as they are tighter and harder to put your hand inside.

I know of three men personally whose wallets have been taken from their front pockets (and at least one of them was wearing jeans).

Have a little handy cash in a pocket. I wear Tilley pants with a hidden pocket within a pocket so that cannot be easily picked.

If you need something from your hidden pocket go to a corner in the shop or a washroom to access it.

In cooler places we also love our ScottE vests with lots of inside pockets. Our last five week road trip in Europe my husband wore his every day and I did on public transit.

Have a little handy cash in a pocket. I wear Tilley pants with a hidden pocket within a pocket so that cannot be easily picked.

If you need something from your hidden pocket go to a corner in the shop or a washroom to access it.

In cooler places we also love our ScottE vests with lots of inside pockets. Our last five week road trip in Europe my husband wore his every day and I did on public transit.

Do not think you are or would be safe...these pp's are trained frorn the cradle to pick pockets and they know all about hidden pockets etc...they train them on clothes and with wallets and pocketbooks,fanny packs etc. Anyone not picked has just been lucky.They may move on the the person next to you if an easier mark,but if desperate they will pick anyone.Just a word of caution..not to you,but re this whole subject.

I now wear a bra stash when I travel in most European cities, a small pocket which snaps onto my bra straps. It holds some cash and credit or ATM cards, and I never have to worry at all about pickpocketing issues.

My husband often just pokes his water bottle into his front pocket over his mostly empty wallet, and so far this has worked for him.

I prefer not to have to think about pickpockets at all on my travels. A few years ago, I watched a very well-dressed young woman attempt to pick my husband's rear pocket on a escalator at the Monisteraki metro station while transferring metro lines in Athens. (I was the person behind her.) She did not succeed; he only had his map stuck in that pocket.

Edited by CintiPam

• 2 weeks later...
So after reading this thread, I'm more concerned then I was before, and I was already concerned!! The DW and I have been looking at travel wallet type with the RFID protection. I was looking at the ones that go around your neck and under your shirt.

Has anyone had experience with these type?

I was originally thinking of keeping my regular wallet in my front pocket, but after reading post on here about people getting their front pocket picked (I can't imagine how that happens which scares the heck out of me) I'm thinking that is not a good plan.

Almost thinking I need to duct tape the travel wallet under my shirt to my body!!!!

Last year I got dh an under the clothes wallet pouch type thing that actually slipped down his pants leg. That worked great and he felt was more comfortable than something under the shirt (and less noticeable).

You guys that put wallet and money in your front pocket might heed a couple of very simple precautions. Put a couple of wide rubber bands around your wallet which not only helps to keep things from falling out of your wallet, but it also makes it difficult to slide the wallet out of your pocket. Then just take a large safety pin and pin your pocket shut by putting the pin around the midpoint (at the top). This makes it impossible for anyone to slip a hand in your pocket. Is this 100% perfect...Nope. But most European pick pockets are pros and will generally ignore you and pick on an easier target. In fact, I have gotten so used to the safety pin thing (taught to me by a retired Secret Service Agent) that I always leave a safety pin on my jeans so its there when I need it.

Hank

Learned so much with this topic, thanks to all who have posted.

So my question is do most of you forgo the DSLR camera and bag even it around your neck? I am now concerned about even bringing it along. I do have an iPhone I can use as well for pictures. Or it is ok to use in other Med ports not noted for pick pocketry?

I am very grateful for your advice and opinions!

Learned so much with this topic, thanks to all who have posted.

So my question is do most of you forgo the DSLR camera and bag even it around your neck? I am now concerned about even bringing it along. I do have an iPhone I can use as well for pictures. Or it is ok to use in other Med ports not noted for pick pocketry?

I am very grateful for your advice and opinions!

Here's my take on it. I've read lots of reports on these forums and others for the last decade, and it seems to me that the pickpockets in MOST places in Europe appear to be primarily interested in easy access to your cash and credit cards -- not fencing stolen goods. (This differs a bit in Naples, where you'll read every so often about jewelry and expensive watches being snatched.)

I've also read reports from (and seen photo evidence from) folks who obviously did bring their DLSR with them and put it to good use, presumably without problem. However, if I were to bring a valued camera, I would certainly take every precaution to ensure I kept close tabs on it at every moment. Because thieves WILL take opportunities that present themselves.

For me personally (not a passionate photographer but one who enjoys taking photos), the quality of the small digital point and shoots, with their extended zooms, has gotten good enough that I feel it fills my requirements in most locations. Plus I can put it away when not in use and no one is the wiser.

My experience using my iPhone for photos hasn't really been satisfactory.

Hi all, I'm new of this forum, but got some experience in cruising/travelling in Europe.

I'm always really careful about pickpocket and try to prevent by simply following these tips: Always use front triouser pockets, try to use prepaid credit card only (more card, less cash... I love cards!!!), i say to my wife to don't carry the wallet in the purse and use a purse that it's hard to open, if i have a shoulder bag i wear it diagonally acress my body... and obviously I never leave wallet/purse unattended on a store.

I know it could always happen but if you keep always eyes open you will be safe ;)

I carried my DSLR with me last year when I did my trip to Rome/Orvieto/Chianti/Florence (not on a cruise). I had just one lens with me - my trusty 18-200 zoom. It's my favorite all-purpose travel lens. I didn't have a special bag; My Sherpani Verona cross-body bag held it, my water, my umbrella (a few rainy days), my iPad Mini, and my wallet quite nicely. When I wanted a shot, I just pulled it out and did my thing. The bag has a zip top, and I just use a carabiner to clip the zipper toggle to the O-ring that holds the strap.

I also use this same bag at home (and 2 other Sherpani bags, depending on what I'm carrying), so it's truly nothing special just for travel.

Folks should also be aware that the new favorite target of thieves are expensive Smart Phones. They will snatch them out of pockets, purses, or even your hand...so this is another reason to be alert to one's surrounds. A new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy is worth hundreds of dollars on the black market which makes those phones worth more then most wallets. Another very valuable item is your Passport, which depending on your nationality can fetch up to $10,000 on the black market. Many folks will be careful carrying just a few dollars, but not give a 2nd thought to the value of their Passport. Those that carry these documents need to take extreme care.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I just returned from a cruise and a few days in Venice and Rome and I DID HAVE A SAFEPAC purse and felt very comfortable. If you keep your eyes open like you would travelling anywhere, most of these people are pretty obvious. The important thing I believe is to look confident, don't necessarily walk with a phone or map, and don't give any info or accept things from people. I had an experience where someone said .."Can I take you picture" Your initial reaction is to say yes but I passed. Don't place a purse down somewhere either

FWIW, it doesn't have to even be an expensive camera or phone.

DDP almost lost his iphone3 while we were boarding the Rome subway last year. It was in his front pocket and he had his hand on it but a group of youngsters blocked our entrance to the train...we both realized what was going on and pushed our way through, but when one of them grabbed his arm, he had to remove it from his pocket...the phone was gone almost immediately....luckily an older gentleman on the train, stood up, started shouting at the guys and grabbed the kid with DDP's phone and made him hand it back.

All this happened in the time it took for the doors to open and close. Next time, we will put the phones somewhere other than our pockets.....