$2 bills

train460

Last cruise I tipped with $3 dollar bills. I thought was a nice tip. Had my picture on it. Easier than carrying a big wad of $1 dollar bills. Worked well all week until we returned to port and the pesky US Treasury agents were there. Booking my next cruise in 5 to 10 years.

LOL (Mr Jefferson)

3 countries in the world legally use $3 bills, and for those who have sailed to Bahamas may of seen them.

I have used these in the Bahamas and they are received with a smile like any other denomination

imagejpg1_zps3ead301d.jpg

As for US$2 they are more for Notaphilists:) (collectors)

I am sure anyone would except an uncut roll of $2 as a tip, very much legal tender

imagejpg2_zps68871382.jpg

So you would not accept legal US currency as payment?

guess i could always pay in rolls of pennies then?

Michael

I keep one in my wallet for the novelty factor( just like putting a penny in my loafers). no one wants to waste time schlepping to the bank to acquire or deposit them.

I also keep a Sacajewa (sp) and a SBA.. no one likes them either.. too heavy and the SBA esp gets confused as a Quarter too often. in fact that's how I get mine..

FTR many locales WILL NOT accept rolled coinage as payment.

anyone who flashes them around is just trying to draw attention to themselves( and most people will roll their eyes silently at the ostentatiousness)

So when you say "no one really wants them", you really mean you chose not to pay with them.

no I mean no one wants them as they are a pain to deal with in normal commerce.

cashier drawers have no place for them( or coins) the coins especially often get mis read for value( when I worked in retail I need up exchanging $30 worth of SBAs at 25 cents each just to keep the drawers balanced) and when I hauled them to the bank I got the rolled eyes. she was not happy about having to put all those coins in her drawer to have to count at the end of her shift

the only place that takes them without hassle are banks.( and been then you are resented for doing so) and who wants to spend time in line at a bank?

One is cute. more than that is a PITA. there wis a REASON they are not being printed or widely circulated any more.

I keep one in my wallet for the novelty factor( just like putting a penny in my loafers). no one wants to waste time schlepping to the bank to acquire or deposit them.

I also keep a Sacajewa (sp) and a SBA.. no one likes them either.. too heavy and the SBA esp gets confused as a Quarter too often. in fact that's how I get mine..

FTR many locales WILL NOT accept rolled coinage as payment.

anyone who flashes them around is just trying to draw attention to themselves( and most people will roll their eyes silently at the ostentatiousness)

So does that mean if I tip with $2bills or SBA's and Sacajewa coins I am Obstentatious:eek:

I would of thought tipping with Benjamin's would be more Obstentatious:)

We were on the Oasis 3 weeks ago and blew through $300 in $2 bills. The guys gave to each bartender and they were treated like kings. Everyone got a kick out of them and even the kids got involved in the tipping process. I highly recommend tipping with $2 bills. I had to order them from the bank a week before I needed them. Will never cruise without them again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Would this be ok on the ship or would the crew members think this is "funny money"? Frown upon? etc

Most waiters and waitresses love to see them here but you would be suprised on how many times i have had to use them for say at a fast food place and the cashier, not being from the USA then refuse the bills because of being fake.

Michael

Our $2.00 is a coin and as the Staff have a hard time with change if it is not US $. I never leave CDN change unless in CDN Waters. Same way here cannot take US or foreign coins back to the Bank.

We were on the Oasis 3 weeks ago and blew through $300 in $2 bills. The guys gave to each bartender and they were treated like kings. Everyone got a kick out of them and even the kids got involved in the tipping process. I highly recommend tipping with $2 bills. I had to order them from the bank a week before I needed them. Will never cruise without them again!

Will try to order a few here from the banks or get them when we are down in the US. Good idea.

No one likes them, no one uses them, and you shouldn't, either! Be nice to the folks who are nice to you!

I am sure that you are speaking for yourself, but the fact is a lot of people like them and a lot of people use them. There is reasonable likelihood that the $1 bill will be phased out (as happened in Canada) and might be replaced by the $2 - or possibly even the $5, reflecting the evaporation of the dollar's purchasing power in recent years -- we are also likely to see the penny stop being minted.

Still, many non-US people are unaware of the $2 and might not be comfortable in receiving them - but it is hardly worth the effort to get them just to make a statement which might not be appreciated.

One has to remember that in foreign countries, the US $ is not their official currency. They will accept it as a courtesy to US tourists, but they are not obligated to do so.

I certainly do not see anyone in Mexico accepting Canadian $$, LOL, so I would bring their currency with me to spend. Living in a big city, we have alot of currency exchange places at our disposal.

Some foreign countries MAY accept US$, but one has to realize one will have a very difficult time using them in most (if not all) European countries, for example.

I find it sad that some people will give tips in novelty currency for their own "what clever guy I am" reasons rather than for the benefit of the person they are giving the tip to. I was brought up believing that a tip was for the benefit of the recipient, and not for the giver's benefit. I guess this is just another example of the "it's all about me" mentality that is so pervasive in society these days. :rolleyes:

As for me, when I tip someone, it is for their benefit alone, so I do so in whatever manner is most convenient to them. I don't do it to feel better about myself, nor do I do it to be "remembered", as some people apparently have a great need to be.

Edited by swsfrail

Someday, you Americans will figure out the proper way. You rejected the superior metric system, so I don't expect any progress on the money thing, but It's OK, we still love you. :D

Note: We actually stopped using the penny a few months ago, so the picture below is no longer current :)

livinginns_currency.jpg

Well, truly, we don't need your lecturing or posturing.

Canadian beer was something we drank when the choice in the US was Budweiser and Miller! Now that US craft brewing has surpassed most of the world except Germany we don't drink it.

Belgium, UK, Austria surpassed:eek:

There are some good Boks and small breweries with some nice beers, but a long way to go to surpass the 3 listed and probably many more.

Get to the real Ales and true beers that are 7-10% then you are talking beer..

Hey even Mikes hard lemonade is classified as being a beer, in Europe it is called an alco pop:)

Try these real beers

Speckled Hen

Old thumper

Bishops Tipple

HSB

Just a few that will go down well for the real beer drinkers!

They will cost you more than $2 a pint though

Edited by PompeySailor

Legend

I find it sad that some people will give tips in novelty currency for their own "what clever guy I am" reasons rather than for the benefit of the person they are giving the tip to. I was brought up believing that a tip was for the benefit of the recipient, and not for the giver's benefit. I guess this is just another example of the "it's all about me" mentality that is so pervasive in society these days. :rolleyes:

As for me, when I tip someone, it is for their benefit alone, so I do so in whatever manner is most convenient to them. I don't do it to feel better about myself, nor do I do it to be "remembered", as some people apparently have a great need to be.

Bingo. I remember our last trip to Canada.. I'd buy something in fake American and get Real Canadian back. and the next store I'd give them as much of their money back as I could and always got thanked for using the correct currency. for large pruchases I use plastic and let my bank make the conversion.

I feel the same about those who insist on 'removing' the auto tip because they 'want to tip in cash". No.. you want to make a big show about how great a guy you are by handing over an envelope.

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Would this be ok on the ship or would the crew members think this is "funny money"? Frown upon? etc

Most waiters and waitresses love to see them here but you would be suprised on how many times i have had to use them for say at a fast food place and the cashier, not being from the USA then refuse the bills because of being fake.

Michael

Why don't you try tipping w rolls of pennies? I am sure that the waitstaff would love to have 20 rolls of pennies as a tip in place of a $10 tip.

Or if you don't want to carry rolls of pennies, how about those funny money $1 coins that flopped as badly as the $2.

The service staff on the ships have to work hard enough as it is. Don't make their life more difficult by tipping them with money that is hard to get rid of.

DON

$2 is $2 however it is made up, and if legal tender then all appreciated.

I have a friend who works on another cruise line, and they are more than happy to except any legal tender.

Making their life more difficult to change it:eek: give it a break seriously

There life is more difficult when people do not tip!!

I get the impression that if I were to offer anyone here on CC US$1,000,000.00 in pennies or $2 bills they would cringe and be offended as it will be an inconvenience to cash it or spend it:D

C'mon however you cut it $2 is $2 bucks.

To the OP $2 are legal tender, not funny money, they sell that at Disney.

Having worked in the Currency Business for over 20 years

And having seen numerous $2 bills, use them with no issues anywhere in the world where USD are excepted.

Now if you get any with Red, Blue or Silver Seals send me a message and I will gladly buy them from you double the rate:)

Happy Days!

Canadian beer was something we drank when the choice in the US was Budweiser and Miller! Now that US craft brewing has surpassed most of the world except Germany we don't drink it.

The US has surpassed everyone with a good selection of beer styles.

sadly, the cruise ships know nothing about beer except American Light Lager.

I find it sad that some people will give tips in novelty currency for their own "what clever guy I am" reasons rather than for the benefit of the person they are giving the tip to. I was brought up believing that a tip was for the benefit of the recipient, and not for the giver's benefit. I guess this is just another example of the "it's all about me" mentality that is so pervasive in society these days.

Yep.

I feel the same about those who insist on 'removing' the auto tip because they 'want to tip in cash". No.. you want to make a big show about how great a guy you are by handing over an envelope.

And yep again.

Maybe you were treated like kings because you double tipped. All bar bills have the tip included.. happy cruising

Maybe you were treated like kings because you double tipped. All bar bills have the tip included.. happy cruising

LOL! Buy a $10 drink, with the 15% tip automatically added to the bill, AND give them another 20% tip on top of that. That totals to a 35% tip! No wonder they treated him well! He certainly paid enough for it!! :D

I'll bet the bartenders got a kick out of the extra tips he was giving away, not about the $2 bills themselves. ;)

Edited by boogs

Some people here are saying that if the shipboard currency is US$ tips should be in US$.

Now I'm going on an Australian cruise where on board currency is US$ so is t wrong if I tip in AUS$, by the way all ports of call are in Australia.