New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Thanks Crew News that is very helpful.

I see you are well versed in HAL. I will enjoy reading your menu lists as well.

It is always interesting travelling on a new Line.

We use a number of the speciality restaurants on other ships. On a transatlantic there are many days and not as many speciality restaurants on the Oosterdam so your list is very interesting.

Thanks again for your reply.

Deeko

Welcome to HAL.

The first boarding category on HAL is those with disabilities and their families. Second boarding category is Neptune/Pinnacle Suites and any 4/5-Star Mariners. These three categories will be in a separate waiting area (even if just a few feet away or in a separate room). The fourth category is all other passengers in the order that they checked in at the terminal.

There is another category of "in transit" passengers who will be returning to the ship to continue their cruise and may re-board long before any new passengers do.

Depends on the port and what they are told. The order is right but sometimes the suite pax board prior to the 4&5 stars. Though it is never very long in between the two groups if they split them up. This has happened to me both ways: with the suite pax and shortly after the suite pax.

Thanks Happily....and Crew

I knew there were answers out there.

I'm planning a transatlantic from USA to Spain or UK

I know NCL Haven on Epic do this route. HAL on Oosterdam also do the cruise.

Has anyone any advice re which I should favour. Not much in it re price. Would you just go for what you know or are there other considerations??

All advice welcome even from HAL supporters...lots of you out there!!!

Thanks again.

Deeko

Depends on the port and what they are told. The order is right but sometimes the suite pax board prior to the 4&5 stars. Though it is never very long in between the two groups if they split them up. This has happened to me both ways: with the suite pax and shortly after the suite pax.

You can never depend on a specific order for boarding. For example, in FLL both on embarkation and as in transit the following week, 4* and 5*and Neptune suites boarded together, long before disabled/wheelchairs.

deeko, welcome to HAL, and also check out halfacts dot com for cabin pics and loads of information on HAL ships.

I'll be interested to know if the Oosterdam has a covered pool.

Yes, it does.

All HAL ships, except for the Prinsendam, have a covered pool. Two of them, Veendam and Rotterdam, do not have an uncovered pool.

Hello Ruth,

Brilliant...you are ALWAYS on the ball.

Bet you've never been stumped with any question. Thanks a lot.

Deeko

You're welcome. Thanks for the confidence, but there are entire areas of HAL cruising that I know nothing about (sailing in the high-rent district, for one). I just don't attempt to answer those questions.

We can certainly see how you feel when you've posted the same thing 3 times.

Hope that you will find a more suitable cruiseline for your next cruise.

And that there are a few things you are enjoying on this one.

Nice response but let me have a try .

The complaint seems to be , I booked at a price I was satisfied with and then HAL lowered the price and therefore I am no longer satisfied . Also they wouldn't move me to a suite once on board even though I deserved to be moved .

Buongiorno,

gradirei conoscere quale temperatura interna troverò sulla Zaandam della HAL che partirà da Buenos Aires il 1 ° dicembre e arriverà a San Antonio il 15 dicembre

Grazie a chi risponderà

I think the Italian poster above is asking if anyone can tell him/her what the ship's temperature is likely to be on the Zaandam, leaving BA on Dec 1st, and arriving SA on Dec 15th. They thank us for a response. Unfortunately, my Italian is non-existent, and it's only my exposure to Latin, French, and Spanish that enable me to translate ( and probably a poor translation at that).

OK. Aspetto una risposta.

Traduttore di Google

I think if someone who may know the definitive answer will respond in English, Gambero Tanghero will use Google to translate into Italian.

I have been on Zaandam to Hawaii (in October) and Alaska (in August), but not to South America. I have found that interior temperatures on the ship tend to be consistent, although cabins may tend to be on the warm side, and large rooms like the dining room tend to be cool. I imagine that Argentina and Chile in December would be like spring in Italy?

Google's translation of his question --

Good morning, I would like to know what internal temperature I will find on the HAL Zaandam that

will depart from Buenos Aires on December 1st and arrive in San Antonio on December 15 Thanks to who will respond

I will be travelling on a 10 night cruise out of Rome in April on the Koningsdam. I have a few questions, hoping you all can help.

I will be bringing my baby who will be 9 months at the time of the cruise:

A) If i bring baby water can I have them deliver it to the room or do I have to carry it?

B) Can I take for example cheeeios from breakfast to be able to use later in the day for my baby or would room service be able to bring this?

C) I am travelling from Canada and need to bring a car seat and stroller. I will not require the car seat while on the ship, is there a place we can have it stored outside of our room?

D) We are booked in an obstructed verandah room. Has anyone stayed in this room? I am concerned that a lay pen plus luggage ect won't fit in the room. I do know that there is family rooms however I get bad motion sickness so a balcony is a must.

E) I am booked in a connecting room and I will not know the other passengers in the next room. How noisy is it? My baby is actually a really good baby and rarely cries but I want to make sure I don't interupt their sleep.

F) what is the average age and language of people on the cruise?

G) can a baby go to all restaurants and shows? I do have help coming with me but we will likely all want to go somewhere together.

H) formal night, how formal is it? I do not want to bring a ball gown. I do dresss up but my dresses are more business like than ball gown...will this be ok? are no sleeves ok on dresses?

I) tender with a baby. Will they allow this?

J) exclusions with baby - I saw on HAL website that some exclusions will allow a baby free of charge. When you go to book however, there is no options for babies, only children. How do I go about making sure a baby can come and also what the cost will be?

K) wifi - if I buy an unlimited package how does one log in? We will be travelling with my mother in law and so if it is able to be shared I am hoping we can split the cost.

Sorry for all the questions, but as a former Travel agent, I like to have all my ducks in a row!

Thank you in advance.

Buongiorno,

gradirei conoscere quale temperatura interna troverò sulla Zaandam della HAL che partirà da Buenos Aires il 1 ° dicembre e arriverà a San Antonio il 15 dicembre

Grazie a chi risponderà

The temperature on all the ships seems to be pretty consistent. Not too hot and not too cold. I carry a light sweater and don't always need it. Enjoy your trip!

I will be travelling on a 10 night cruise out of Rome in April on the Koningsdam. I have a few questions, hoping you all can help.

I will be bringing my baby who will be 9 months at the time of the cruise:

A) If i bring baby water can I have them deliver it to the room or do I have to carry it?

B) Can I take for example cheeeios from breakfast to be able to use later in the day for my baby or would room service be able to bring this? YES

C) I am travelling from Canada and need to bring a car seat and stroller. I will not require the car seat while on the ship, is there a place we can have it stored outside of our room? YES. Just ask the steward. Or you may be able to fit it under the bed, depending upon how much luggage you have.

D) We are booked in an obstructed verandah room. Has anyone stayed in this room? I am concerned that a lay pen plus luggage ect won't fit in the room. I do know that there is family rooms however I get bad motion sickness so a balcony is a must. Luggage goes under the bed. It will be a tight squeeze for the playpen but it will fit.

E) I am booked in a connecting room and I will not know the other passengers in the next room. How noisy is it? My baby is actually a really good baby and rarely cries but I want to make sure I don't interupt their sleep. If you have a guarantee you may get upgraded so don't worry about this yet. If you have selected a specific cabin it will be likely that they will hear the cries next door. It may help to put a towel down. Ask the steward for their suggestions.

F) what is the average age and language of people on the cruise? Ages vary. They tend to be older on a TA. Tends towards middle aged +. There will be many languages out of Rome. Lots of English speaking passengers though.

G) can a baby go to all restaurants and shows? I do have help coming with me but we will likely all want to go somewhere together. I have seen them but very rarely.

H) formal night, how formal is it? I do not want to bring a ball gown. I do dresss up but my dresses are more business like than ball gown...will this be ok? are no sleeves ok on dresses? YES

I) tender with a baby. Will they allow this?

J) exclusions with baby - I saw on HAL website that some exclusions will allow a baby free of charge. When you go to book however, there is no options for babies, only children. How do I go about making sure a baby can come and also what the cost will be?

K) wifi - if I buy an unlimited package how does one log in? We will be travelling with my mother in law and so if it is able to be shared I am hoping we can split the cost.

Sorry for all the questions, but as a former Travel agent, I like to have all my ducks in a row!

Thank you in advance.

I responded where I could. I am unsure of the rest of the answers so will leave those for others. Enjoy your cruise!