New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I, too, have been on every class and there is at least one exception. I don’t remember which ship, but I do remember the inconvenience of it. This was in an ocean view cabin if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember several ships having the system where you used one of your own credit or any card with a magnetic stripe, for the safe. I used to use my local store points card:D Likely the smaller ships - Volendam, Ryndam, Zaandam - which we used to sail on.

I remember several ships having the system where you used one of your own credit or any card with a magnetic stripe, for the safe. I used to use my local store points card:D Likely the smaller ships - Volendam, Ryndam, Zaandam - which we used to sail on.

I think it was the Zaandam on our Antarctica cruise that had the mag stripe safe. The Volendam and Ryndam had keypad safes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are these posts so old???

This has been a helpful thread for newcomers to HAL. And things do change over time, asking if something is still the same, or for clarification, is appropriate.

Whether you are a newcomer to HAL or an old hand, it would also be appropriate (and quite likely informative, as well) to direct fact-based (as opposed to opinion) questions to HAL Ship Services.

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship:

Whether you are a newcomer to HAL or an old hand, it would also be appropriate (and quite likely informative, as well) to direct fact-based (as opposed to opinion) questions to HAL Ship Services.

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship:

Perhaps I am over-generalizing and should not assume that HAL is like other lines that I have sailed in this respect. But often when I have called other ship services, I have received no answer or a wrong answer to my question. In contrast, answers I have received on the cruisecritic boards, although sometimes opinionated, have almost always been accurate.

Perhaps I am over-generalizing and should not assume that HAL is like other lines that I have sailed in this respect. But often when I have called other ship services, I have received no answer or a wrong answer to my question. In contrast, answers I have received on the cruisecritic boards, although sometimes opinionated, have almost always been accurate.

Exactly! I don't think many of those who man the phones at HAL HQ have ever been on a ship. I often relate the story of one rep I spoke to who insisted all balconies on the ship were the same size, width and depth. There are other instances, but regular cruisers on have more reliable information.

I agree - you are over-generalizing and you definitely "should not assume that HAL is like other lines" that you have sailed.

If you have a problem with the advice I posted to check with HAL Ship Services, you may be interested in what CC advises in this regard. From the Disclaimer to the Forum Guidelines:

We recognize that while we have tons of great stuff in this forum,
people sometimes post messages on the boards that could be misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong
They may do this unintentionally or, sad to say, intentionally.
Additionally, there are many different groups who participate, such as travel agents, public relations employees, members of the media, affinity groups, fan groups, other cruise websites etc. whose agenda may not be apparent since we are operating in an anonymous environment.

Treat the cruisers here the same way you'd treat anyone you'd met for the first time. This is important because anyone is welcome to participate in our community.
You shouldn't make a cruise decision just because some stranger (or even an online friend) talks it up.
Basically, you shouldn't treat cyberspace any differently than you would real life.

The fundamental concept is that
you should NOT totally rely upon the information or opinions you read.
Rather, you should use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on cruise lines, ships, hotels, shore excursions and bargain-hunting techniques. Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum.

We do not guarantee the completeness of any information provided on our cruise boards.
We cannot read through the thousands of messages we receive each day, but do make an effort to check out all the hyperlinked web sites. We cannot research each one for accuracy. (Bolding added for emphasis.)

If you will re-read my earlier Posts, you will see that I did not advise CCers not to seek opinions and cruise info on here or to rely exclusively on HAL Ship Services. Nothing more, nothing less.

HAL's call centre is not that different - phone 3 times and whichever answer you get twice must be the correct one :rolleyes:

I'm with you. I've had far more reliable information on these boards and from helpful CC members than from Seattle.

I've had enough examples of contradictory info here versus what I got from HAL. Guess who was right?;):hearteyes:

I've learned a lot over the years from these boards and happily share what I KNOW and what is my experience.:D

New to HAL.. what is the formal policy on bringing wine onboard at embarkation? How many bottles pp, corkage fees in room or dining room, etc.

Also what I see formal policy on bringing a case of water on board?

You may bring aboard as many bottles of wine as you can carry, both at initial embarkation, and at ports.

One 750ml bottle per adult is corkage-free at initial embarkation. One bottle at ports is corkage-free provided it was purchased while on a HAL-sponsored excursion to a winery. All other bottles will have an $18 corkage fee added to your on-board account.

If the 'free' bottles are brought to a public venue for consumption, they will also incur a corkage fee.

You are allowed to bring aboard as much water as you can carry. That is true at both initial embarkation and subsequent ports. There is no fee to do so.

The same is true for soda, juices, and all non-alcoholic beverages.

Is it true that you get a service charge for a tip each time you get a drink on your beverage package???

If you are asking about the Signature Beverage Package, or the Elite Beverage Package, the price is in full at either the $9 or $15 amount. There is no additional charge.

Is that necessary? Isn't the ship's water good to drink?

It isn't necessary to bring water aboard, imo. The ship's water is fine to drink. After all, the ice cubes are made with it!

I was answering the question asked.

You could be referring to the "prepaid" Soda card. When you use the card the price of the sofa plus gratuity is deducted from the balance. Also you don't get to purchase a can of soda, you get to purchase a glass of sofa.

Is it true that you get a service charge for a tip each time you get a drink on your beverage package???

You may bring aboard as many bottles of wine as you can carry, both at initial embarkation, and at ports.

One 750ml bottle per adult is corkage-free at initial embarkation. One bottle at ports is corkage-free provided it was purchased while on a HAL-sponsored excursion to a winery. All other bottles will have an $18 corkage fee added to your on-board account.

If the 'free' bottles are brought to a public venue for consumption, they will also incur a corkage fee.

You are allowed to bring aboard as much water as you can carry. That is true at both initial embarkation and subsequent ports. There is no fee to do so.

The same is true for soda, juices, and all non-alcoholic beverages.

Will they allow a case of water with a luggage tag ( to be delivered to cabin like luggage) or only what you physically carry with you on boarding?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will they allow a case of water with a luggage tag ( to be delivered to cabin like luggage) or only what you physically carry with you on boarding?

HAL requests that it be carried on. Were the bottles in a checked case to break, they will soak the luggage of other people.

HAL requests that it be carried on. Were the bottles in a checked case to break, they will soak the luggage of other people.

When in Civitavecchio we bought a 'slab' of water (wrapped in plastic) and wrote our cabin number on it in marker pen and handed it in with our luggage to the porters. It was delivered to our room before we got there.

So fed up with this cruiseline, their disrespect towards loyal guests and over-trained staff who will go out of their way to keep you away from their supervisor. If, after insisting perseverently, you do get to talk to a supervisor, you are talking to a smiling and apologizing emotionless wall.

Currently sailing on HAL Koningsdam on a 21 night back to back Caribbean collector’s voyage. Paid over 7.000 USD for an obstructed verandah for the two of us many months ago. Little less than 3 months before sailing, they dropped the price to 2.500 USD for European guests, and even to 1.685 USD for North American guests, which is less than half of the price we paid a few months before. A phonecall by the travel agent to HAL HQ resulted in a big no to a price adaptation as we had just passed the 90 days prior to sailing.

They “upgraded” us to a non-obstructed verandah due to the price drop, which meant just going one floor up from deck 4 to deck 5. Also we received an extra onboard credit for the stunning amount of 75 USD per person!! Waw!!

Besides, if anyone can explain to me why a EU citizen has to pay 1.000 USD more than a North American customer for identically the same stateroom, please try. Do not forget that North American guests seem to receive many more extra’s like free drinks, more onboard credit, free tips, etc ... compared to non-Americans.

After the price drop, the neptune suites were priced even lower than what we paid for the obstructed verandah.

Once onboard, as we noticed that the ship is far from full, we went to try to see the supervisor. After many attempts we finally spoke to her and asked for an upgrade to one of the empty neptune suites on board. Considering having paid more than what they were spld for in the last weeks prior to sailing, this seems no exceptional question to ask in this situation.

The supervisor kept on saying that all neptune suites are sold out on this cruise. However, two days later we discover that this is not true (friends of us stay on deck 5 next to, guess what, an EMPTY neptune suite), I’m afraid HAL is making a huge mistake here. You do not liebto your guests

Last detail, forgot to mention, the verandah we received had a broken airco. It took HAL 3 days to move us to another stateroom, on a ship that is sailing with 200 empty cabins!!??!!

We have sailed with HAL before, on a 14 night and a 24 night cruise. We have 2 future bookings with HAL for december 2017 and december 2018.

By giving us the advantage of an upgrade to a Neptune suite, HAL would have made us happy guests, and we would most probably instantly have forgotten about the pricing-issue. It wouldn’t have cost them an extra dollar and they’d only risk that we would end up booking neptune suites only in the future.

By lying to us, and trying to cool it down with an extra 75 USD per person onboard credit and a Pinnacle Grill dinner, what they get is a pair of unhappy clients who will cancel their 2018 voyage with HAL and switch to another cruise line.

I know many other cruise lines who would like to book our 3 cruises per year in the future. Actually they don’t care, of I may quote the supervisor: “of course we want to keep you with is in the future, but we are not responsible for the choices you will make in the future”! That is what I call “being rude”!!!

Too bad for you guys, but if this is HAL customer-service and of this is how you treat “7.000 USD-guests”, we wish you all the best with your “500 USD-guests” for the future.

Bye bye Holland America and your “client-is-not-King-sdam”.

If you don't live in the US or Canada and you want to cruise anywhere other than in you own local waters you have to be prepared to pay a premium if you find a cruise that you really want to do.

You could wait until closer to sailing date but who knows what cabin will be available or even if there will be a cabin available.

Hello to all.

New to HAL I wonder if passengers in Neptune Suites have priority boarding. On NCL Suites and the Haven do. Also on Princess I seem to remember.

No doubt someone knows....you always do......thanks in advance.

Deeko

Hello to all.

New to HAL I wonder if passengers in Neptune Suites have priority boarding. On NCL Suites and the Haven do. Also on Princess I seem to remember.

No doubt someone knows....you always do......thanks in advance.

Deeko

Welcome to HAL.

The first boarding category on HAL is those with disabilities and their families. Second boarding category is Neptune/Pinnacle Suites and any 4/5-Star Mariners. These three categories will be in a separate waiting area (even if just a few feet away or in a separate room). The fourth category is all other passengers in the order that they checked in at the terminal.

There is another category of "in transit" passengers who will be returning to the ship to continue their cruise and may re-board long before any new passengers do.