New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Earlier this year at ports in China and Japan, we had to get the equivalent of tender tickets to leave the ship (Volendam) even when it was tied up to a pier. It had to do with controlling the flow of traffic through the immigration facilities. But generally, you are correct: at most ports where one ties up, one just walks off the ship.

I only added that note because the poster did not know what a tender ticket was at all - and seemed to think you needed one at every port.

It is good to know that about Japan and China - I hadn't thought about immigration control. Thanks.

Has anyone done the land and cruise trip from Fairbanks to Vancouver via HAL?

I know the tipping policy on the ship but not sure about the land portion.Any help would be appreciated or point me in the right direction for answers.

Thank you

Check out this HAL document, 2017 ALASKALAND+SEAJOURNEY TIPS,

page 7 GRATUITIES DURING YOUR LAND+SEA JOURNEY

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-destinations/Tour_Tips.pdf

My husband and I will be doing a back to back 10 day and then 11 day cruise. On the day we are in port to start the second leg of our trip is it better to stay on board the ship or to schedule a land tour for that day. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale and there is a land trip we could take from 9am - 1pm. Suggestions most welcome.

I got so excited the other day when I received another "upsell" email!!!

Unfortunately, the prices to upgrade were exactly the same as they were in the first email.

But there's still hope that the upsell offers will come down. :D

We've never had the upsell or upgrade fairy call us. We sail the end of November. Our cruise is not sold out . We keep seeing great specials and offers far better than we paid months ago. Is it because of the hurricanes....I don't know. Any suggestions....should we call the agent we booked through?

When I saw the prices drop I called my TA got an upgrade.Sail in 2 weeks.

My husband and I will be doing a back to back 10 day and then 11 day cruise. On the day we are in port to start the second leg of our trip is it better to stay on board the ship or to schedule a land tour for that day. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale and there is a land trip we could take from 9am - 1pm. Suggestions most welcome.

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder. If there is something you want to do in Ft. Lauderdale, and you'll be there to do it, why not! Why pass up a chance that you may not have again.

A note: tender tickets are only needed at ports where the ship must anchor, otherwise you just walk off the ship on to the docking pier. Most itineraries don't have that many tender ports - if any.

We're on the Viking Passage in Aug. 2018 -- three tender ports in three days in a row in Greenland (keeping fingers crossed weather allows!) -- it sure would be great if we only had to line up once for tender tickets...

We're on the Viking Passage in Aug. 2018 -- three tender ports in three days in a row in Greenland (keeping fingers crossed weather allows!) -- it sure would be great if we only had to line up once for tender tickets...

If you are not on a ship's tour, generally speaking you will need to get a tender ticket (exceptions for 4* + Mariners and NS/PS cabins usually) for any tender port.

We have 5 tender ports on our next cruise. I hope we both have co-operative weather and seas for our tenders :)

Question I was just looking over some new menu's for HAL. I see where they are now charging for more things on the In Room dining menu. Are we still able to write in things on the breakfast menu that are available in the dining room without charge? And, are we still able to order what's on the dining room menu for in room meals as long as we do it during dining room hours? Some nights we prefer to just dine on our balcony as opposed to getting ready for dinner.

Question I was just looking over some new menu's for HAL. I see where they are now charging for more things on the In Room dining menu. Are we still able to write in things on the breakfast menu that are available in the dining room without charge? And, are we still able to order what's on the dining room menu for in room meals as long as we do it during dining room hours? Some nights we prefer to just dine on our balcony as opposed to getting ready for dinner.

Yes to both questions based on my June 2017 Noordam cruise.

If you are not on a ship's tour, generally speaking you will need to get a tender ticket (exceptions for 4* + Mariners and NS/PS cabins usually) for any tender port.

We have 5 tender ports on our next cruise. I hope we both have co-operative weather and seas for our tenders :)

Tender tickets are used for crowd control, usually right after the ship is secure and cleared by local authorities. Once the inevitable first rush is over, the tenders usually can be boarded without bothering with a tender ticket.

Tender tickets are used for crowd control, usually right after the ship is secure and cleared by local authorities. Once the inevitable first rush is over, the tenders usually can be boarded without bothering with a tender ticket.

Yes, Host Walt, the tickets are for crowd control, but it can take some time for the tenders to be "open".

It depends upon the itinerary of course, but I have been on some where it was a number of hours.

On cruises in the South Pacific, Ireland, etc we want to be off early (as do many) for private tours we have arranged.

Tenders can be smaller there than say, Half Moon Cay so it does take longer ;)

Website question-we just booked a HAL cruise for the first time and leave in just 3 weeks. We booked with a online TA and everything is paid in full with it being so close. My question is about their website-I can access my reservation,filled out the online check in,but can't see any information of price paid,dining time,etc. All I can find is the date we sail and that we are a VF guarantee, and our names.

Sherri

When you book through a TA, the TA "owns" the reservation, and so those aspects of your record are only accessible through your TA.

You should be able to do everything else; book excursions, gift packages for the stateroom, etc.

Website question-we just booked a HAL cruise for the first time and leave in just 3 weeks. We booked with a online TA and everything is paid in full with it being so close. My question is about their website-I can access my reservation,filled out the online check in,but can't see any information of price paid,dining time,etc. All I can find is the date we sail and that we are a VF guarantee, and our names.

Sherri

The dining time should be on your printed reservation or booking confirmation, under the "Cruise Details" section. It may say

Main (which is usually around 8 pm) or Early dining. That is also where you will see the price paid. Your TA would/should have emailed or sent you this confirmation after you booked, and after you paid in full. This will also show any perks you may have. Contrary to what is posted above, every TA I have ever dealt with sends out this information. It also shows how much deposit you paid, and then again when you have paid in full.

Are you able to print your luggage tags? That can be done when you have completed all the rest of the information in the online check-in.

The dining time should be on your printed reservation or booking confirmation, under the "Cruise Details" section. It may say

Main (which is usually around 8 pm) or Early dining. That is also where you will see the price paid. Your TA would/should have emailed or sent you this confirmation after you booked, and after you paid in full. This will also show any perks you may have. Contrary to what is posted above, every TA I have ever dealt with sends out this information. It also shows how much deposit you paid, and then again when you have paid in full.

Are you able to print your luggage tags? That can be done when you have completed all the rest of the information in the online check-in.

Ditto to Lizzie's post.

Your TA should have provided all itinerary details to you, etc.

To book specialty dining, excursions, etc., just log in to the Hollandamerica.com (if you haven't logged in before you can set up an account), go to my reservations and then purchase and you can select any specialty dining, shore excursions, beverages/cards, etc. Just about anything can be pre-ordered if you are so inclined.

hope this helps.

Ditto to Lizzie's post.

Your TA should have provided all itinerary details to you, etc.

To book specialty dining, excursions, etc., just log in to the Hollandamerica.com (if you haven't logged in before you can set up an account), go to my reservations and then purchase and you can select any specialty dining, shore excursions, beverages/cards, etc. Just about anything can be pre-ordered if you are so inclined.

hope this helps.

Yes the TA sent us our confirmation,I was just curious why none of it shows in our online account. We can't print the luggage tags yet,maybe because we don't have a room assigned to us yet since we did a guarantee room?

Thanks for the help....so anxious to try HAL for the first time:)

Sherri

Yes the TA sent us our confirmation,I was just curious why none of it shows in our online account. We can't print the luggage tags yet,maybe because we don't have a room assigned to us yet since we did a guarantee room?

Thanks for the help....so anxious to try HAL for the first time:)

Sherri

You basically need to rely on what your TA gave you. I actually have the same thing when I book with HAL. I get an invoice and while I can see what I owe and make a payment (if I want) the basic info is in the information that the PCC sent me with HAL. that seems to be the way it goes.

Yes, if you don't have a cabin # pretty hard to print luggage tags ;)

but, you have found the secret as your cruise gets closer. I find that assignments are posted much quicker if you check your luggage tags. they don't seem to appear on your express docs until a day later. (I learned that from others on the board so it's not just me ;) )

Have a great cruise Sherri.

Should any on bourd credit show up on HAL documents? I have confirmation on TA docs, but not HAL

I am not a HAL authority, but it is showing on the HAL invoice that my TA sent me. I am showing what was given with the booking; as well as the shareholder benefit.

Should any on bourd credit show up on HAL documents? I have confirmation on TA docs, but not HAL

This is how I found it on HAL's website (we booked directly with HAL):

Log in and go to "My Reservations", click on "Make/View Online Payment", look on the right side under "Your Cruise Summary", the last line item under each passenger is "Onboard Credit".

This is how I found it on HAL's website (we booked directly with HAL):

Log in and go to "My Reservations", click on "Make/View Online Payment", look on the right side under "Your Cruise Summary", the last line item under each passenger is "Onboard Credit".

(emphasis added) That's a big difference right there.

If you book directly with HAL, you can see information re: your booking on the website that people who booked with a TA (or transferred to a TA after booking with HAL) cannot see.

I know it shows up if you book with HAL. I have my documentation from the travel company we booked with. Years ago we had the situation where the travel company had offered credit but it never showed up. I had no proof we us, and internet availability was not what it is now to contact them. This time I have it printed off. It says to be credited on or before second day. We shall see.

I only added that note because the poster did not know what a tender ticket was at all - and seemed to think you needed one at every port.

It is good to know that about Japan and China - I hadn't thought about immigration control. Thanks.

We were on the Volandam from Feb 28th - Mar 28th from Hong Kong to Yokahama and back, we then continued on the QM2 from Hong Kong to Southhampton I wonder if you were on the same voyage as we? We loved the Volendam, but were not that fond of the QM2. Service is superb on all the HAL ships we have been on. We have now been on 27 cruises and HAL and Celebrity are our favorites! We were in Lucinda's group for most of our off shore excursions.

Has anyone sailed in the Lanai cabins on the Maasdam? We're considering one for a long (25 day) cruise but wonder if having people walking outside your cabin day and night (the Lanai cabins open to the public Promenade Deck) will be a problem.

Thanks!