New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

One of the things I'm looking forward to are the "themed teas" Indonisian and Dutch. Was looking at a section on Holland site about things to do on the ship. It was mentioned there are still teas but some of the themed teas are not being done. If anyone has been on a recent cruise could you please comment on this. It appears there are not many activities planned by the cruise line but I'm connecting with people on my roll call to play some cards, etc. Husband and I are 70 & 80 but still like to be active and love to dance so hope Holland is a good fit for us.

We're headed to Alaska too, next week.

Our question is a simple one. Forgive me if it is a repeat on this thread. We have the Signature Bev package and looking at the Elite Bev package, it would give us a lot more variety in our wines. Is it possible to upgrade once were board? If so, where should we do this transaction?

Thanks in advance!

Temp on the ship.....

On our way to Alaska. Is the temp inside the ship suitable for short sleeves, long sleeves needed inside the ship.

Thank you.

Yes. Most of the crew will be wearing short sleeves as will the passengers. If you plan on spending time on the outer decks while the ship is moving, long sleeves might be needed. The mid-ship pool will be open for swimming no matter what the weather outside so many will be wearing bathing suits.

Some think the Main Dining Room is chilly at night so a shawl or long sleeves might be a choice for those from warm clomates.

We're headed to Alaska too, next week.

Our question is a simple one. Forgive me if it is a repeat on this thread. We have the Signature Bev package and looking at the Elite Bev package, it would give us a lot more variety in our wines. Is it possible to upgrade once were board? If so, where should we do this transaction?

Thanks in advance!

There has been some success doing this. Some people did it easily and others had to persevere by reports. No guarantees ;)

Any of the bar servers/wine stewards should be able to do it - but you may need to ask more than one ;)

HI,

We're taking our first cruise, embarking in Seward, Alaska. We're already going to be in Seward the night before, and our goal is to check in and get aboard as early as possible. I understand that many people will be arriving on HAL's shuttles from Anchorage to Seward that day, but we'll already be in Seward and want to avoid those crowds and get on board before them.

Will HAL send us info about what time the check-in opens, etc.? I've learned from other forums that they might let us aboard but our room won't be ready, so we're prepared for that. Wife and I are both good packers and each have only a small carry-on that we don't mind lugging around until our room is ready. Would like to grab lunch on board and relax until the room is ready.

Anyway, just looking for newcomer information about how the boarding process works, especially for folks like us who have arranged our own transport and aren't relying on HAL's shuttles. Thank you for any tips!

HI,

We're taking our first cruise, embarking in Seward, Alaska. We're already going to be in Seward the night before, and our goal is to check in and get aboard as early as possible. I understand that many people will be arriving on HAL's shuttles from Anchorage to Seward that day, but we'll already be in Seward and want to avoid those crowds and get on board before them.

Will HAL send us info about what time the check-in opens, etc.? I've learned from other forums that they might let us aboard but our room won't be ready, so we're prepared for that. Wife and I are both good packers and each have only a small carry-on that we don't mind lugging around until our room is ready. Would like to grab lunch on board and relax until the room is ready.

Anyway, just looking for newcomer information about how the boarding process works, especially for folks like us who have arranged our own transport and aren't relying on HAL's shuttles. Thank you for any tips!

Generally speaking the rooms are always ready when you board (exceptions are deep cleaning and CDC inspections which I don't think happen in your port?)

Not sure what forums you are reading, but one nice thing about HAL is rooms are normally ready :)

Usually boarding starts around 11:30 am.

Do I tip the childcare workers? If so, how much?

That's entirely up to you whether or not you tip them. It is permitted, but never required. You might want to base your decision (and if yes, how much) on how enthusiastic the kids are to go there. If they like and enjoy the workers, and can't wait to head there, don't want to leave, then the workers have done a good job and you might want to tip something.

The first time I took a teen, I asked her how she felt about it. After all, she was the one involved in the activities, and I trusted her opinion.

I'm on K'dam, 11/8, which stops in St. Martin and St Thomas (Thenford Grey in St Kitts has posted that damage there was fairly minimal).

If the hurricane destruction means the ports are damaged (as in too much damage to call there), I imagine HAL will attempt to substitute another port, or we'll just get an extra sea day or two.

How will HAL inform us if this happens? Carnival has notices on their main page. I just checked HAL's site and see nothing at all about weather/itinerary updates.

I realize we're 2 months out, so there may not be any changes. But just wondering how it will be handled if there are.

I sailed a couple of years ago with a call in Dominica 2 months after major hurricane damage. We still did our island tour, but the damage was very evident with many bridges washed away and downed trees.

Much more concerned about the loss of life than my cruise. But I know how important tourism is to the islands and how having cruise ships not being to call just makes a bad situation worse.

Weather related changes are generally handled on a day to day basis with information put out by the ship on the day of the event.

We stopped at Tortula a couple of years ago, about a month after a hurricane. The island was pretty well devastated but we were there.

I'm on K'dam, 11/8, which stops in St. Martin and St Thomas (Thenford Grey in St Kitts has posted that damage there was fairly minimal).

If the hurricane destruction means the ports are damaged (as in too much damage to call there), I imagine HAL will attempt to substitute another port, or we'll just get an extra sea day or two.

How will HAL inform us if this happens? Carnival has notices on their main page. I just checked HAL's site and see nothing at all about weather/itinerary updates.

I realize we're 2 months out, so there may not be any changes. But just wondering how it will be handled if there are.

I sailed a couple of years ago with a call in Dominica 2 months after major hurricane damage. We still did our island tour, but the damage was very evident with many bridges washed away and downed trees.

Much more concerned about the loss of life than my cruise. But I know how important tourism is to the islands and how having cruise ships not being to call just makes a bad situation worse.

More importantly for us would be changes from Eastern ports to western ports. If that happens what's HAl's policy re: cancellations? We dot NOT want to revisit Mexico!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Except as otherwise provided, Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, cancel the Cruise, Land + Sea Journey, and/or Land Trip(s); deviate from the scheduled ports of call, route and timetable; call or omit to call at any port or place or cancel or modify any activity on or off the Ship; comply with all governmental laws and orders given by governmental authorities; render assistance to preserve life and property; or change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise, Land + Sea Journey and/or Land Trip(s), or substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation or lodging."

So just like other cruise lines, if they can't go east then they can go west without notice and without passengers having a claim.

More importantly for us would be changes from Eastern ports to western ports. If that happens what's HAl's policy re: cancellations? We dot NOT want to revisit Mexico!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While bUU's post is entirely correct, I suspect that there may be some leeway on HAL's part with everything that has happened.

I could be wrong of course but this is not a regular event.

Best to just wait until it's all over, HAL has had a chance to look at what can be done and they will most likely either post some announcement and email those affected.

Who even knows if Port Everglades will be operational when this is over.

Hoping everyone in this hurricane's path is safe <3

While bUU's post is entirely correct, I suspect that there may be some leeway on HAL's part with everything that has happened. I could be wrong of course but this is not a regular event.

Different cruise lines operate differently, of course, but Holland America's sister brand, Carnival, has the same provisions on its cruise contact as Holland America has, and has delayed yesterday's Carnival Magic cruise to Wednesday, changing a seven night Western Caribbean cruise with four ports of call into a three night cruise to one port in the Bahamas.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

While bUU's post is entirely correct, I suspect that there may be some leeway on HAL's part with everything that has happened.

I could be wrong of course but this is not a regular event.

Best to just wait until it's all over, HAL has had a chance to look at what can be done and they will most likely either post some announcement and email those affected.

Who even knows if Port Everglades will be operational when this is over.

Hoping everyone in this hurricane's path is safe <3

I agree with this. Your cruise is 2 months away, and I am sure once this hurricane has passed and damage assessed, there will be announcements made in a timely manner. You will be notified by email of any changes. HAL is good with sending out notifications about any change, in my experience.

I'm fully aware that the cruise contracts stipulate that they can change ports/itinerary with no notice (and no compensation).

I also realize that last-minute itinerary changes are difficult to plan. It's not like going to a store and deciding to go elsewhere because the parking lot is full! Other ports have to be in the same geographical area and have dock space. I just shake my head when people whine about a port being cancelled and cry, "why didn't they just take us to insert another island name here?" It's just not that simple.

I was just wondering how HAL handles it. Given what we're hearing about St Martin, it just doesn't seem likely we'll call there.

I tend to book independent tours (as I have for 4 of the ports on this sailing), and would just like a little warning if I need to change those plans. If plans change without warning, I'll deal with it!

While I am familiar with HAL's alcohol policy, I have a related question. And it seems like this really may be for, or at least from, dummies.:D

One of the stops on the cruise I just booked is Leixoes (Porto) Portugal. I may want to purchase a bottle or two of Vintage Port while there. I would expect this to be classified as a wine. However, since it is fortified, I question my expectation.:confused:

Can someone give me a definitive answer?

Thanks.

While I am familiar with HAL's alcohol policy, I have a related question. And it seems like this really may be for, or at least from, dummies.:D

One of the stops on the cruise I just booked is Leixoes (Porto) Portugal. I may want to purchase a bottle or two of Vintage Port while there. I would expect this to be classified as a wine. However, since it is fortified, I question my expectation.:confused:

Thanks.

No I can't :D but here's my bet . Technically fortified wine (sherry , port etc ) is not wine and they would be correct in treating it as such . BUT if it looks like a bottle of wine it may very well get on as such . I have seen this happen .It might be worth buying regardless . You may just have to retrieve it at the end of the cruise .

Thanks.

We were able to bring our Porto on and just pay corkage.

Others have reported it is held so it can depend.

If they want to keep it they deliver it to you the last night.

And it is yours to enjoy that night (if you want) or post cruise in ports or to bring home.

Either way, it's a good purchase to make ;)

Anyone have any experience pre/post stays? Looking for help in understanding the procedure at the Hotels your staying at. If you are not given actual reservation documents, how do you get booked into the hotel? We used booked thru a PCC. Our cruise passes say we have the transfers and are scheduled for the hotels, but no actual reservation documents.

Anyone have any experience pre/post stays? Looking for help in understanding the procedure at the Hotels your staying at. If you are not given actual reservation documents, how do you get booked into the hotel? We used booked thru a PCC. Our cruise passes say we have the transfers and are scheduled for the hotels, but no actual reservation documents.

While we have not used the post cruise hotel, we have used the pre-cruise hotel arrangements and have had the same experience. Like you, no specific hotel reservation but it is listed on your itinerary. We just show up at the hotel and they know you are coming and when.

You are good to go.