New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Received an upsell email yesterday...

So, my question is this: does HAL ever do a second round of upsell offers for the same sailing? ...

In all of the time that we've cruised with HAL (20+ years), we've received 2 upsell offers on the same cruise only one time, so I think it is indeed a rarity. Of course, our experience may be skewed a bit by the fact that, for the immediate past 15 or so years, we have booked suites, which does lessen our chances of being offered an upsell.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Received an upsell email yesterday.

Interestingly, the upgrade from interior to obstructed verandah is less than to an OV. Still, as a solo, it would be an additional $400. Given that the itinerary (11-night K on 11/8) has only 3 sea days, I wouldn't get much use out of the balcony. And, personally, I love the nice, dark interior cabins. Sleep like a baby!

So, my question is this: does HAL ever do a second round of upsell offers for the same sailing? I'm guessing they do not, but thought I'd ask.

If they'd just waive the solo supplement I'd do it. But if I stay in my inside cabin, I'll spend money on board, which will earn me more Mariner points whereas spending it on a cabin upgrade earns me nothing except a balcony to sit on occasionally.

Yes, they do. In fact ours went around 3 times.

It depends on whether others also think it's too high or if they "snap them up". Depends upon the sailing, availability and the demographics of the passengers.

I'll just add, to give you hope.... we have received upgrades or upsells on every one of our cruises. On one, where we booked later than we like to do (often a year or more in advance) we went from an obstructed ocean-view to a Neptune suite through a series of upgrades and then an upsell. We used to book a verandah and went from there. However, for the past few years we booked SS. Best value on HAL. But each time have gone up to Neptune.

My wife and I are experienced cruisers taking our first HAL cruise next August. It's the Viking Passage on the Zuiderdam, and we're quite excited about the itinerary!

I have a question about tender tickets, as we have several tender ports. From what I've read, high-star Mariners and perhaps others (suite guests?) get priority tender tickets. How does it work for the rest of us with no priority? E.g., do we line up somewhere to get tickets? Maybe the day before? Can I get the tickets for both of us or do we both need to be there? etc.

Thanks for any info and tips!

In my experience it seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Sometimes one can get them in advance, sometimes right at tender time. Usually one person can pick up all the tender tickets for their group.

The key thing is to pay attention to announcements and if getting off quickly is a priority, get in line for your tender tickets early.

HTH,

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Text messaging between passenger is in the works with their App, Navigator, for Holland America Line, 11/2017 it may not be but hopefully in 2018. I think this would be useful to connect with your party onboard.

Thankyou for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning your upcoming voyage on the ms Zuiderdam on November 15, 2017.

At this time our Navigator App does not support text between guests, although this feature is in the works. With the Navigator App you can discover onboard events and activities, book shore excursions, make dinner reservations and more.

Pleasefeel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit usonline. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future!

HollandAmerica Line

U.S.and Canada: 877-724-5425

International:206-286-3900

Mon-Fri 5am-7pm PST

Sat-Sun6am-5pm PST

SavorThe Journey

Topic: Questions for Guests Currently Booked

Message: Does Holland America Line Navigator allow you to text with other passengers, like the following Princess Line does?

Princess@Sea Messenger http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/.../#.VCb5YiuzCpwPrincess@Sea Messenger that lets you stay in touch and communicate with other passengerson board - debuting on Regal Princess in November and coming soon to the fleetin 2015! With the Princess@Sea Messenger, you can instantly connect with otherguests onboard. Just send a message and make plans! Whether it's planningdrinks after dinner, or just letting your friends know where you are, thePrincess@Sea Messenger keeps you connected. Passengers onboard Regal Princesscan download Princess Messenger for free before sailing at the Apple or AndroidApp Store, or onboard with the purchase an Internet package*.

I got so excited the other day when I received another "upsell" email!!!

Unfortunately, the prices to upgrade were exactly the same as they were in the first email.

But there's still hope that the upsell offers will come down. :D

Re texting - I know there was a fairly recent thread about it because I posted in it. Carnival's on-ship app has a function that for $5 enables you to "chat" with others on the sailing. Would think that HAL could implement something similar. I haven't used it. I'm old school. When I want to plan something to do with others, I make plans ahead of time! Imagine that! Planning ahead! ;p

Is there music everywhere, or are there places we can find quiet? I hope our cabin is quiet! I'm looking at the Zaandam. I've previously cruised with Viking.

I have sailed a number of the S & R ships and haven't found music everywhere (ie pumped through hallways, bars, etc.)

There is nice music in certain bars but not throughout the ship in my experience.

Is there music everywhere, or are there places we can find quiet? I hope our cabin is quiet! I'm looking at the Zaandam. I've previously cruised with Viking.

Pretty much everywhere, yes. With the exception of your cabin and outside on Lower Promenade Deck. Even that has music to the level of blaring when they do the Walk For A Cause.

Some times, in some places, the music is soft enough so you don't notice it; while other times it is obtrusive.

I got so excited the other day when I received another "upsell" email!!!

Unfortunately, the prices to upgrade were exactly the same as they were in the first email.

But there's still hope that the upsell offers will come down. :D

We've never had the upsell or upgrade fairy call us. We sail the end of November. Our cruise is not sold out . We keep seeing great specials and offers far better than we paid months ago. Is it because of the hurricanes....I don't know. Any suggestions....should we call the agent we booked through?

Don't ask me! This is only my 3rd HAL cruise and I've received the upsell offers on two. Did not get one for the Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal cruise back in early January.

I've sailed Carnival 27 times and have received ONE upsell offer. The friends I sailed with over Labor Day got one (her DH's first cruise!) and upgraded to the Owner's Suite. So I paid for the cheapest cabin on the ship (an upper/lower - fine for a solo) and got to hang out in the Owner's Suite. ;)

Maybe because I book insides and lots of others move up which opens up OV and obstructed? Really have no idea.

Wish it was within my budget but the cabin really isn't why I sail. If sailing cheaply in an inside means I can sail 3 times a year instead of once, I'm going for the cheap cabin! ;)

Has anyone done the land and cruise trip from Fairbanks to Vancouver via HAL?

I know the tipping policy on the ship but not sure about the land portion.Any help would be appreciated or point me in the right direction for answers.

Thank you

My wife and I are experienced cruisers taking our first HAL cruise next August. It's the Viking Passage on the Zuiderdam, and we're quite excited about the itinerary!

I have a question about tender tickets, as we have several tender ports. From what I've read, high-star Mariners and perhaps others (suite guests?) get priority tender tickets. How does it work for the rest of us with no priority? E.g., do we line up somewhere to get tickets? Maybe the day before? Can I get the tickets for both of us or do we both need to be there? etc.

Thanks for any info and tips!

Pardon my ignorance (1st ever cruise in 2018) but what are tender tickets!

Thanks

Pardon my ignorance (1st ever cruise in 2018) but what are tender tickets!

Thanks

A tender ticket is a little plastic card with a number or other designation on it. They are used to queue up the passengers for an orderly disembarkation from the ship on the tender boats. For example, they might be numbered from 01 to 10. Over the PA system they would call out "Guests with tender ticket number 01 are free to board the tenders.".

If you want to get off the ship early, it's wise to get a low tender ticket number. Sometimes the 4 and 5 star Mariners have to get tender tickets as well.

A tender ticket is a little plastic card with a number or other designation on it. They are used to queue up the passengers for an orderly disembarkation from the ship on the tender boats. For example, they might be numbered from 01 to 10. Over the PA system they would call out "Guests with tender ticket number 01 are free to board the tenders.".

If you want to get off the ship early, it's wise to get a low tender ticket number. Sometimes the 4 and 5 star Mariners have to get tender tickets as well.

Thank you for the quick response. Where do we get these tickets? If we don't have any specific tour time for a port, we wouldn't have to get off early.

Drink question

I am trying to decide whether to get the drink package or not. I don't drink very much but do see where both would have to get a package if in the same cabin. I know it also covers special coffees, water and soda. Neither of us drinks sofas or fancy coffee.

Hubby drinks Tanguery Gin. Would this Gin be in the $9 or $15 drink group?

Thank you

Thank you for the quick response. Where do we get these tickets? If we don't have any specific tour time for a port, we wouldn't have to get off early.

On board they will make an announcement as to when and where to get the tickets as it varies from vessel to vessel. And you can only get them once you are on the ship. One tip I would make is to get an early tender ticket. Even if you think you won't want to get off early, perhaps you'll change your mind the day of tendering. And you can use an early tender ticket for a later tender.

I should add that the tender boats are generally the ship's life boats although in some ports there are specific tender boats used. At Half Moon Quay, for example, they have special tender boats with much higher capacity.

On board they will make an announcement as to when and where to get the tickets as it varies from vessel to vessel. And you can only get them once you are on the ship. One tip I would make is to get an early tender ticket. Even if you think you won't want to get off early, perhaps you'll change your mind the day of tendering. And you can use an early tender ticket for a later tender.

If we get tickets for each port all at once , then that is a good tip.

Thanks

Thanks

I've never seen it happen that they pass out tender tickets for all of the tender ports all at once. They do it port by port. Generally there are not two back to back tender ports, but possibly it could happen I guess.

Also, one person can collect the tender tickets for all persons in your party.

Thanks

A note: tender tickets are only needed at ports where the ship must anchor, otherwise you just walk off the ship on to the docking pier. Most itineraries don't have that many tender ports - if any.

A note: tender tickets are only needed at ports where the ship must anchor, otherwise you just walk off the ship on to the docking pier. Most itineraries don't have that many tender ports - if any.

Earlier this year at ports in China and Japan, we had to get the equivalent of tender tickets to leave the ship (Volendam) even when it was tied up to a pier. It had to do with controlling the flow of traffic through the immigration facilities. But generally, you are correct: at most ports where one ties up, one just walks off the ship.