New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

2 gala nights on 7 night cruises.

"Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants."

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all acceptable."

So, as long as they aren't beachwear, t-shirts are allowed most nights, but not on gala nights when a collared shirt is required.

Jeans are allowed on most nights, but not distressed jeans. And jeans aren't allowed on gala nights.

The problem is that the t-shirts that the youngsters in my family wear are suitable for the beach and therefore not the dining room, and the jeans that the youngsters in my family wear are generally distressed. So unless your children are different, t-shirts and jeans probably won't work.

There isn't a more lax policy for children. The same rules apply.

It is possible to get a set dining time once you get aboard but there are no guarantees.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Are jackets required for Gala nights?

Are jackets required for Gala nights?

No. Jackets are appropriate, but not required. The minimal acceptable level of dress for a man is long slacks, and collared shirt.

Hello to all. I will soon be saying hello to HAL for the first time.

On this site there is a lot of chat about where to have lunch on embarkation day. Many suggestions are given and all helpful.

The MDR is mentioned and it seems it is open from approx. 12 noon to 1.30. So far so good.

Now here's the subtlety. HAL send out suggested times for embarkation. Most are well into the afternoon and way beyond 12 noon.

This illogicality is remarkable. On the majority of cruise lines embarkation begins around 11.30 or just a little later. Even for non suite guests.

So are these times a ploy by HAL to save money on lunches (under the guise of being helpful and making all guests more comfortable) or are these times often ignored and guests who turn up at say 11.30, perhaps just off a flight, can board at a time other than HAL say.

At first sight I must say it seems very "dictatorial" to write as they do.

After the website and emails sticking.....first impressions are not fantastic!!

Perhaps others know the truth of these embarkation times??

Thanks

Deeko

On this site there is a lot of chat about where to have lunch on embarkation day. Many suggestions are given and all helpful.

The MDR is mentioned and it seems it is open from approx. 12 noon to 1.30. So far so good.

Now here's the subtlety. HAL send out suggested times for embarkation. Most are well into the afternoon and way beyond 12 noon.

This illogicality is remarkable. On the majority of cruise lines embarkation begins around 11.30 or just a little later. Even for non suite guests.

So are these times a ploy by HAL to save money on lunches (under the guise of being helpful and making all guests more comfortable) or are these times often ignored and guests who turn up at say 11.30, perhaps just off a flight, can board at a time other than HAL say.

Thanks

Deeko

My first time with HAL too. I spoke with ship services yesterday regarding our booking for to next year and specifically asked about assigned boarding times since I am used to choosing one with other lines. I was told they are not "assigned," and the published boarding time is 1:00 but passengers will begin arriving as early as 1130 and they will be processed as they arrive, assuming disembarking for the other guests had been completed.

More likely the suggested times are an attempt to spread out the arrivals and the workload that brings. Saving money on sit-down lunches is just a fringe benefit. ;p

The times are mere suggestions (at least as of now), and are not enforced. Get there when you want, and expect there to be a jam-up if it's on the early side.

Thanks

Deeko

I am usually on board by noon when I disembark. I have plenty of time to grab lunch and explore the ship prior to sail away.

We will soon embark on our first HAL cruise, and I have a question about the color-coding on HAL's luggage tags -- how important is that the tags be printed in color? I imagine that the color is a great visual for the porters and crew sorting the luggage, but I'm now retired and we don't own a color printer. (Previously, I printed all our color-coded luggage tags in my office! :D) I suppose I could download the tags onto a thumb drive and find a Staples or something, but failing that, is a B&W luggage tag a problem?

Thanks for any advice!

On my last cruise, I got to the port early and used their complimentary tags and filled them out at the port. They are more sturdy and "free" (no use of printer ink/paper).

I am not new to HAL, but I am new to flex/open/"As You Wish" dining. We have always done fixed seating before on HAL.

My question is: Does HAL make it easy to join a group (share) a large table with flex/open dining?

We are a couple (2), travelling without friends or family on this particular voyage, and we are NOT looking for a table-for-2 every night. We have generally enjoyed meeting new voyage-long tablemates and having the same waitstaff, but the flexibility of flex/open dining is sometimes attractive.

When you book dining, I would recommend the "set time" dining time and tell the cruise line/travel agent you are open to a table for 8 with random other guests. I have met some great guests this way at dinner. You will have the same wait staff. Upon boarding you can always find the dining reservation staff near the front desk booking specialty dining as well. You can find out which table is yours and how many it seats.

Does HAL have an app you can download to iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I was on in April 2018, you could bring up the navigation site and actually send text messages via that site to others on board at no extra charge. It would show you what the daily schedule was and itinerary.

I was wondering if the Veendam has a spa pass daily/weekly and cost? anything like a chef's dinner offered? anything needed to be signed up for the day of departure that most people don't know about or is in high demand? I love using the spa's off and on throughout the week as well attending the chef's dinner if they offer them. What are the specialty activities they offer like cooking demo's, computer classes, etc. I saw online something like that Any other tidbits would be very welcome my first time on a HAL ship I am looking forward to a more laid back, quieter, stimulating, ship.Thanks!!!

The Veendam does have the test kitchen cooking demonstrations. They also do offer a lot of computer classes. The spa does offer a day pass (my friends did it on my last cruise). During embarkation, they usually offer a free tour of the spa and a place where you can sign up to win a free pass/treatment at the spa. The crows nest is a good place to relax and have a great view. The schedule for your next day is left on your bed every night at turn down. (I always bring a highlighter and decide my plans for the next day).

Does anyone know what portion of the $18 corkage fee goes to the server? Inquiring minds......

If you can open your own wine bottle, I have never had to pay the corkage fee. I brought 3 bottles of wine my last trip and was not charged at all for an extra bottle corkage fee. (I never took the bottle to dinner, just poured my own on the way to dinner.)

My family of 7 are cruising to Alaska in June. My 18 and 21 yo are with us. Will there be anything for them to do? A "floating nursing home" doesn't sound good.

My friends have called it the "Q-tip" cruise because the clientele is generally larger. However, I have sailed many HAL cruises and find the food, service, and activities plenty. My last cruise there were several "teens" that formed a bond and hung out all around the ship.

Thanks very much for the reply! So since it's a 20-night cruise, I guess we'll go from 0 status to two-star Mariners in one fell swoop. LOL!

I did read up on the cabins before we booked, and the extra space of the Signature Suite on a 20-night cruise definitely seemed to be a big plus. We'll be on the Zuiderdam, and it looks like they've really spruced up those suites in the recent dry dock.

We are veteran cruisers, but are very excited to be trying HAL. (And it's all thanks to the ban on smoking on balconies. HAL was never on our list before that.)

Thank you again.

Also, you earn extra points for any money you spend on board. When I just got married in April on a 7-day cruise we both bought the beverage package, booked excursions through the ship, and did some gambling. We ended up getting 14 cruise credits for a 7 day cruise. So, if you are considering any excursions, book via the ship. Every $300 you spend on board, you get extra cruise day credits.

Hi All-- My husband and I will take our first cruise (Seward to Vancouver on the Westerdam) in a little over 2 weeks. I've been reading through the many pages of this thread, but I still have some questions....

1/ Are there coffee makers in the staterooms? If not, no big deal, as it seems that the Lido and room service provide coffee 24/7.

2/ Does the Lido offer ethnic foods at lunch and dinner? It sounds like there's some sushi/rolls, but are there other international cuisines represented? Thai, Indian, Peruvian, etc.? A friend told me that he saw some Indonesian specialties at the Lido on one of his cruises, but I'm not sure if it's a daily thing.

3/ I read that there is no longer a real library on board. Is this true?

4/ Are there any talks or lectures on 7-day trips like the Seward-Vancouver cruise?

5/ How much are basic cocktails, like gin martinis and bourbon Manhattans? Are the bartenders equipped to make more advanced drinks such as Boulevardiers and Sazeracs? How much do they cost?

6/ I read that there used to be a lot of LGBT gatherings, but recently maybe 1-2 for each 7-day cruise. Is this the case?

7/ What other kinds of meet-ups are there?

8/ I imagine I'll do quite a bit of reading, especially on days at sea, but some of the reading I do is more like studying (I'm studying Japanese, so will have a textbook, workbook, paper to write on, etc.). Will there be places (with desks or appropriate tables) other than the stateroom where I can spread books/paper out and study/write?

9/ I've read that there's a classical music / chamber music ensemble performance every night. Is this true? Can you just show up, or do you have to reserve seats? What other music venues are there on board?

10/ What kinds of entertainment is there on board? I've read that there are "shows," but not sure what kind. Does someone have a sample activities/entertainment program to share?

11/ Does anyone happen to know if interesting birds (or even other animals) can be seen from the ship? I love birdwatching, and our pre-cruise itinerary as well as our port excursions will (I hope) lead us to some interesting sightings, but I'm curious if people have seen interesting birds or other creatures while at sea.

Thanks for any help/info you can provide!

We will be on our first cruise on the Amsterdam to Alaska in August. I drink coke zero but my husband doesn't. Would we both have to purchase the beverage package. Also do they only have fountain pop or do they have it in cans too. Their literature says they will give you a cup you can keep that is used for fountain drinks. Are you using the same cup for the entire trip? Also, are there lockers by the pools?

No lockers are by the pool. However, I have never had problems even leaving my phones/belongings pool side on HAL. I did find out on one of my recent cruises, that you can talk to the front desk and not BOTH would have to pay for the package. Our children are not allowed to have soda and my wife can not drink alcohol. Therefore, I was able to purchase the beverage package solo. Also, we took 5 of the 12 packs on board on a luggage cart with no problem.

1/ Are there coffee makers in the staterooms? If not, no big deal, as it seems that the Lido and room service provide coffee 24/7.

> The suites have coffee makers. "Steerage" does not. ;) YMMV

> I'm not sure that Lido had coffee/tea before 6am.

2/ Does the Lido offer ethnic foods at lunch and dinner? It sounds like there's some sushi/rolls, but are there other international cuisines represented? Thai, Indian, Peruvian, etc.? A friend told me that he saw some Indonesian specialties at the Lido on one of his cruises, but I'm not sure if it's a daily thing.

> On my Alaska cruise in May, the Lido had sushi, etc, everyday because a lot of Japanese take the

> cruise, and one of the Lido stations was shut down every night to cook for the Italian specialty

> restaurant. Never noticed any "theme" days.

> Yep. Blame Kindle for that. Actually, I prefer to bring *lots* of e-books that I chose than scramble

> to get to a library for dead-tree editions before they're all taken.

4/ Are there any talks or lectures on 7-day trips like the Seward-Vancouver cruise?

> We had two National Park Service Rangers aboard all day for Glacier Bay, and a "naturalist"

> crewmember for the entire 7 days. Also a half-dozen cooking demonstrations in what is at

> night B.B. King's music venue.

5/ How much are basic cocktails, like gin martinis and bourbon Manhattans? Are the bartenders equipped to make more advanced drinks such as Boulevardiers and Sazeracs? How much do they cost?

Dunno.

6/ I read that there used to be a lot of LGBT gatherings, but recently maybe 1-2 for each 7-day cruise. Is this the case?

Dunno.

Dunno.

8/ I imagine I'll do quite a bit of reading, especially on days at sea, but some of the reading I do is more like studying (I'm studying Japanese, so will have a textbook, workbook, paper to write on, etc.). Will there be places (with desks or appropriate tables) other than the stateroom where I can spread books/paper out and study/write?

> I don't remember any table to spread papers except Lido and poolside, all with folks eating at them.

9/ I've read that there's a classical music / chamber music ensemble performance every night. Is this true? Can you just show up, or do you have to reserve seats? What other music venues are there on board?

> Eurodam has the Lincoln Center venue (50? seats) with live classical music, but not every evening.

> Can't report how full it was, but there was no ticket-collecting podium.

10/ What kinds of entertainment is there on board? I've read that there are "shows," but not sure what kind. Does someone have a sample activities/entertainment program to share?

> Two singing & dancing "shows" in 7 days. That was May, I think I heard it's now down to 0. Otherwise

> it was magicians and stand-up comedy.

11/ Does anyone happen to know if interesting birds (or even other animals) can be seen from the ship? I love birdwatching, and our pre-cruise itinerary as well as our port excursions will (I hope) lead us to some interesting sightings, but I'm curious if people have seen interesting birds or other creatures while at sea.

> Eurodam saw bears, mountain goats, deer, whales, otters in Glacier Bay. The crew's naturalist was

> running a chalkboard tally up in the Crow's Nest, including birds by species.

> Your welcome.

Hi All-- My husband and I will take our first cruise (Seward to Vancouver on the Westerdam) in a little over 2 weeks. I've been reading through the many pages of this thread, but I still have some questions....

1/ Are there coffee makers in the staterooms? If not, no big deal, as it seems that the Lido and room service provide coffee 24/7. No there are no coffee makers. You can order it for free via room service.

2/ Does the Lido offer ethnic foods at lunch and dinner? It sounds like there's some sushi/rolls, but are there other international cuisines represented? Thai, Indian, Peruvian, etc.? A friend told me that he saw some Indonesian specialties at the Lido on one of his cruises, but I'm not sure if it's a daily thing. Yes, they generally gear the main courses towards the region you are visiting and always have sushi, pasta bar, and others regional flavors.

3/ I read that there is no longer a real library on board. Is this true? There is still a library on board.

4/ Are there any talks or lectures on 7-day trips like the Seward-Vancouver cruise? They do have lectures and presentations on every HAL cruises I have been on.

5/ How much are basic cocktails, like gin martinis and bourbon Manhattans? Are the bartenders equipped to make more advanced drinks such as Boulevardiers and Sazeracs? How much do they cost? One of our last bartenders actually looked up a recipe using his internet time but they seem to know A LOT of drink recipes. If you are drinkers, the beverage package is the way to go... 15 alcohol and specialty drinks included. Or bring the recipe with you and they can make it.

6/ I read that there used to be a lot of LGBT gatherings, but recently maybe 1-2 for each 7-day cruise. Is this the case? They do meet ups scheduled. We have met a lot of "family" on our cruises. Once we met other family, we would schedule other activities with them. Actually, we got married on HAL's Nieuv Amsterdam 4/1/18. Our next cruise is during our anniversary. 4/1/19

7/ What other kinds of meet-ups are there? They have bridge meet ups, trivia, Cruise Critic meet-ups. Just be sociable and talk to people and plan times to meet (i.e. meet at trivia, name that tune, etc.)

8/ I imagine I'll do quite a bit of reading, especially on days at sea, but some of the reading I do is more like studying (I'm studying Japanese, so will have a textbook, workbook, paper to write on, etc.). Will there be places (with desks or appropriate tables) other than the stateroom where I can spread books/paper out and study/write? The Crows Nest will be your best choice. They have tables, quiet area, and a great view. Other than that, explore the ship, there are many areas with tables and chairs in a quiet atmosphere.

9/ I've read that there's a classical music / chamber music ensemble performance every night. Is this true? Can you just show up, or do you have to reserve seats? What other music venues are there on board? No need to make reservations for the Lincoln Center, it is a smaller venue, so get there early. My wife and I love sitting at the Dueling Piano bar and trying to stump them with odd songs. The BB Kings is also more of an upbeat, club type atmosphere.

10/ What kinds of entertainment is there on board? I've read that there are "shows," but not sure what kind. Does someone have a sample activities/entertainment program to share? My last cruise, they had a comedian, a magician, and their own dance/singing crew. Normally, they have 2 contracted performers, then their own staff performing. One year, I experienced an act with a dog, a ventriloquist, and other variety shows.

11/ Does anyone happen to know if interesting birds (or even other animals) can be seen from the ship? I love birdwatching, and our pre-cruise itinerary as well as our port excursions will (I hope) lead us to some interesting sightings, but I'm curious if people have seen interesting birds or other creatures while at sea. My last cruise, my best man for the wedding and his wife actually had an injured bird that they reported and got released healthy. I have seen several birds, dolphins, and other creatures while on our cruises. (I have only done Caribbean and Panama Canal itineraries.

I hope this helps you out.

Edited by fyrdusk8

Welcome to CC and to the HAL Forum. I just returned from Alaska last month and have been there many times so I hope I can answer most of your questions.

#1 Here is the Room Service Menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

#2 There are foods from Asian countries each day. Here are the daily menus from my 14-day cruise. Seven of these will be your menus, too. I only know that will have the Silver Gala Night menu on your first sea day and the Gold Gala Night menu your second gala night (ask your waiter which night it will be. The link shows Lido Market as well as MDR menus for kunch, dinner, and Late Snack:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-alaska14-day-2018-menus

#3 There are a few books in the Crows Nest. Here is a link to my photo review of the Westerdam from April 2018:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-westerdam-2

5. There are a number of different bars and menus. Here is the link to the Pool Bars Menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Pool-Bars.pdf

#6, 7, & 10 Here is a link to my daily activities from last year on the Noordam Northbound to Seward to give you an idea of what activities are typical:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-2017-noordam-when-where-daily-activities

#11 There are lots of bald eagles and kitiwakes that can be seen from the ship. In most cases, you need to go where the wildlife is which means excursions away from the cities. I have been fortunate to see puffins, ptarmigins, gulls, ravens with my 8X32 binoculars.

Keep your eyes open for whales and dolphins while at sea.

Here is a link to photos of wildlife that I have seen in Alaska and the Caribbean. I'm sure you can figure out which are Alaskan creatures:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty/wildlife

Hope this helps with your planning.

We like to arrive at the port around 11:30. The agents will check you in and give you a group number; the earlier you check in, the lower the number. When your number is called, you will be allowed to board the ship. In our experience, both the main dining room and the Lido buffet are open for lunch. I don't think HAL is trying to save a few dollars by closing the lunch time in the MDR at 1:30, it is more about staffing. Plus everyone needs to finish eating and be ready for the safety drill which begins between 3:30 - 4:00.

Thanks all for the responses-- they really help. It looks like I may be spending some time in the Crow's Nest! And I'm super excited that there's a naturalist on board. The food looks good, and there seem to be a lot of options. The menus/images help to give an idea of what's going on. Anyone know what the average weight gain is for a 7-day cruise? :D

I think I can help with a few:

There's typically a station at lunch time that has some ethnic specialties and they rotate. Also, during the Late Night Snack (10:30-11:30 p.m.) there's usually a theme such as Dutch, Indonesian, etc.

There seems to be an LGBT meet up listed in the daily program most days. These are not hosted events. It's just kind of "here's a place and time to get together." Only on my first HAL cruise was this well attended. Since then, when I've gone I'm usually the only one there, even though I meet other LGBT folks on the ship elsewhere.

Sometimes they don't make it easy to find where to meet though. When they say "Crow's Nest" I'm like, "where in the Crow's Nest?" Sometimes they're more specific, like "Captian's corner," which is a specific area of the Crow's Nest.

There are plenty of places to spread out to read or write. But may I make a plea - please don't spread out at one of the tables inside the Lido restaurant for hours during prime meal time. I have seen people sitting there knitting or reading or playing cards, with no food in sight, while others are searching for a table to eat at. There are also quiet lounges you can spread out in, especially when they're not open.

Thanks all for the responses-- they really help. It looks like I may be spending some time in the Crow's Nest! And I'm super excited that there's a naturalist on board. The food looks good, and there seem to be a lot of options. The menus/images help to give an idea of what's going on. Anyone know what the average weight gain is for a 7-day cruise? :D

Ironically, I actually lose weight on every cruise I have been on. I often will opt for the stairs. I ended up walking 7 miles in Cozumel with my son. The cab other friends were getting would only hold 3-4 people. So, we opted to walk from the furthest port to downtown. (not realizing how far away it was - we were told it was only a few blocks away.) Also, you find you are walking the seemingly never-ending corridors to get to your room to elevators/stairs/etc.