New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

What type of USB charging hub do experienced cruisers recommend? We have several devices (phones, wireless headphones, external chargers) that we'll need to be charging.

I also understand that there are standard 110 AC outlets in the cabins; just not sure how many, but that I can request a "power bar" from our steward?

Thanks!

Anker makes a wide selection of excellent USB charging hubs, most of which are available from Amazon. This is the one I use currently: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VH8ENXE/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

If you are in a Neptune/Pinnacle Suite, there will be a wall clock in your stateroom that is radio-controlled to adjust to the ships time as it changes enroute. Lesser categories will require an alarm clock or cell phone to keep track of the time.

There is no clock in the Neptune Suites on the Prinsendam.

But, wake up calls work quite well on the ship :)

What type of USB charging hub do experienced cruisers recommend? We have several devices (phones, wireless headphones, external chargers) that we'll need to be charging.

I also understand that there are standard 110 AC outlets in the cabins; just not sure how many, but that I can request a "power bar" from our steward?

Thanks!

Most of the ships we have been on have a regular AC outlet and a European outlet. I take my EU adaptor (we are often going to Europe anyways) and use it to charge camera batteries, Ipad, whatever. Never been a problem.

Using both we've not needed a power bar yet. Traditionally we bring Ipods, cell phones, Ipad and several cameras.

Thanks!

I bring a short extension cord with multiple outlets to plug in USB chargers with dual output ports. We also bring along a European plug style dual charger.

• Like 1

Good to know these responses. I may look into a USB hub to plug in with an AC adapter. There’s got to be at least 1 AC in the room that works!

FYI, the USBs also provide LAN and internet plan access.

Getting on and off the ship....is Zaandam in Alaska usually punctual? How long is the process to get off? I heard all aboard is 30 minutes before departure time. We booked non Hal excursions that start an hour from when we arrive in several ports. kodiak is only 30 minutes after we arrive but just us so they can wait for us!I’m nervous our Homer excursion will be tight...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Getting on and off the ship....is Zaandam in Alaska usually punctual? How long is the process to get off? I heard all aboard is 30 minutes before departure time. We booked non Hal excursions that start an hour from when we arrive in several ports. kodiak is only 30 minutes after we arrive but just us so they can wait for us!I’m nervous our Homer excursion will be tight...

The ship is usually cleared for disembarkation within a few minutes of arrival time---certainly 30 minutes, but generally 10-15. If docked, everyone just lines up and leaves the ship. Tender ports are different, since you have to get a tender ticket, and wait your turn for a boat to take you ashore, but IIRC your itinerary doesn't have tender ports.

Reboarding after a day in port is 30 minutes before departure, but it's wise to target an even earlier time---just in case you're delayed getting back.

You are taking a fabulous itinerary! Hope you have as good a time with it as I have had.

Are you referring to Ethernet over USB?

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Could be.

Didn't investigate the details since Eurodam's wi-fi LAN at 72Mpbs was faster, and

her satellite uplink in Alaska was too often masked by terrain or overcommitted

when not.

This message may have been entered via fat fingers. Please excuse any typos.

Just off the Zaandam and can only relate my experience. The ship is usually docked at least half hour before the time stated on your itinerary. Many passenger clog the hallways, stairways, and gangway area to be "first off" and you need to avoid this at all costs.

Most ship tours have a meeting time at least half hour after the ship docks to allow a calm disembarkation.

The Zaandam docked late in Victoria due to another ship being at our berth and needing to clear the channel before our ship could proceed to the pier. This put every passenger at the gangway with barely enough room to breathe. Elevators could not dislodge passengers because there was no place for them to go. Stairways up to Deck 3 were packed. It was certain that if you dropped anything, there was no room to bend over to retrieve it. Every ship's tour started late but waited for every passenger to arrive. This could repeat for you in Victoria as well and be a problem for private tours.

You should have no problems with your private excursions. Just don't try to leave the ship as soon as it docks.

The ship is usually cleared for disembarkation within a few minutes of arrival time---certainly 30 minutes, but generally 10-15. If docked, everyone just lines up and leaves the ship. Tender ports are different, since you have to get a tender ticket, and wait your turn for a boat to take you ashore, but IIRC your itinerary doesn't have tender ports.

Reboarding after a day in port is 30 minutes before departure, but it's wise to target an even earlier time---just in case you're delayed getting back.

You are taking a fabulous itinerary! Hope you have as good a time with it as I have had.

Thanks for the info! I feel reassured!!! We can’t wait!!

Just off the Zaandam and can only relate my experience. The ship is usually docked at least half hour before the time stated on your itinerary. Many passenger clog the hallways, stairways, and gangway area to be "first off" and you need to avoid this at all costs.

Most ship tours have a meeting time at least half hour after the ship docks to allow a calm disembarkation.

The Zaandam docked late in Victoria due to another ship being at our berth and needing to clear the channel before our ship could proceed to the pier. This put every passenger at the gangway with barely enough room to breathe. Elevators could not dislodge passengers because there was no place for them to go. Stairways up to Deck 3 were packed. It was certain that if you dropped anything, there was no room to bend over to retrieve it. Every ship's tour started late but waited for every passenger to arrive. This could repeat for you in Victoria as well and be a problem for private tours.

You should have no problems with your private excursions. Just don't try to leave the ship as soon as it docks.

Thank you! Hopefully it will be smooth!!!! I feel like I might be one clamoring to get off!!!

Are hair straighteners and/or curling irons permitted? Our TA says no, but I find this astonishing. Mine have auto/off feature, if that makes a difference.

Your TA is incorrect. Yes, the standard hair straigtener and curling iron is permitted. No problem at all :)

While my DW uses the ships' hairdryers quite happily, a lot of passengers prefer to bring their own.

That brings me to the inevitable question I'm going to get from DW when she gets home. How big is the dryer on the ship?

That brings me to the inevitable question I'm going to get from DW when she gets home. How big is the dryer on the ship?

It's a standard sized hand held hair dryer. A bit bigger than mine at home actually.