New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

5*I want to buy some OBC ahead of time to cover gratuities' date=' plus a few other purchases (drinks, last minute excursion purchases, souvenirs on the ship, specialty dining, spa) that we may make. Buying ahead of time allows me to have almost everything paid off before our trip (less surprise at the end), and will earn me 3x travel points (my credit card will only give 1x points for purchases made while on board for some reason). If we end up not using all of the OBC, will it be refunded or will I lose it? I saw one thread from late 2017 that said it is refunded, but when I spoke to ship services, the rep said no![/font']

regarding this. Any OBC you purchase or which is provided by a TA (other than pass thru from HAL) is fully refundable. You may get the refund in cash the last evening, or by refund to your credit card if one was provided.

With respect to threads on Internet packages on the Westerdam. I just called ship services and they gave me the following prices:

Social (only access to social media sites like Facebook) $14.99/day or $69.99/wk

Surfing (same as social but one can surf other sites like email, news, etc.) $24.99/day or $99.99/wk

Premium (all of the above but one can stream video) $29.99/day or $139.99/wk

Only one person at a time can use it.

With respect to threads on Internet packages on the Westerdam. I just called ship services and they gave me the following prices:

Social (only access to social media sites like Facebook) $14.99/day or $69.99/wk

Surfing (same as social but one can surf other sites like email, news, etc.) $24.99/day or $99.99/wk

Premium (all of the above but one can stream video) $29.99/day or $139.99/wk

Only one person at a time can use it.

It depends on the site you're using, some can - YouTube usually; some cannot. I just got off the Zaandam with that structure. Premium was hit and miss when it came to streaming, but the sites themselves were always the same ones [on whether they would stream or not].

Are there is DVD players in the Veranda rooms on Konigsdam?

No DVD players on anything newer than R Class ships. Zaandam who just went through drydock - still has hers. Everything newer has interactive TVs instead.

R Class: Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam

S Class: Veendam and Maasdam

We'll be on the Zuiderdam in August, our first HAL cruise. For lunch on embarkation day, what will be open? I assume the Lido -- anything else?

Also, we have anytime dining. On any ship, the first night in the MDR can be pretty chaotic. Any suggestions to avoid chaos there that first night? Is there a place we can go when we board in order to reserve a time for dinner in the MDR?

Thanks, and thanks for all the great info on this thread!

We'll be on the Zuiderdam in August, our first HAL cruise. For lunch on embarkation day, what will be open? I assume the Lido -- anything else?

Also, we have anytime dining. On any ship, the first night in the MDR can be pretty chaotic. Any suggestions to avoid chaos there that first night? Is there a place we can go when we board in order to reserve a time for dinner in the MDR?

Thanks, and thanks for all the great info on this thread!

The Taco Bar and Dive In will be open by the Deck 9 indoor pool when you board. The MDR should also be open.

The Canaletto Restaurant (part of the Lido Market) and the Pinnacle Grill are open the first night. Suggest you make reservations before you board if you want to be sure to have a table in the latter.

I keep running across posts on other threads about the typical passenger on Holland America cruises. This morning I saw one that referred to HAL ships as "floating nursing homes". DH and I are retired and in our early 70's. We'd rather tour and attend lectures than stay up late for the disco. We're too old to burn the candle at both ends, but we're not escapees from a nursing home.:evilsmile: Would we fit in?

My family of 7 are cruising to Alaska in June. My 18 and 21 yo are with us. Will there be anything for them to do? A "floating nursing home" doesn't sound good.

My family of 7 are cruising to Alaska in June. My 18 and 21 yo are with us. Will there be anything for them to do? A "floating nursing home" doesn't sound good.

On an Alaskan cruise, there's lots to do. Generally there are few sea days and there are more port stops. If the 18 and 21 year olds are willing to be adventuresome, there's no end of things to do in the ports. If you provide your port stops, I could suggest activities to consider. On the ship, there's sightseeing, swimming, exercising, lectures, trivia of all types, stage shows, music, late night music if that is of interest.

As for us, we're a couple in our early 70's and our 15 year old granddaughter could not keep up with us while we were on an Asia cruise last year. I wouldn't begin to characterize the ships as "floating nursing homes" although the clientele are generally more mature in age. On the Alaskan cruises, the average age definitely drops.

Tim

On an Alaskan cruise, there's lots to do. Generally there are few sea days and there are more port stops. If the 18 and 21 year olds are willing to be adventuresome, there's no end of things to do in the ports. If you provide your port stops, I could suggest activities to consider. On the ship, there's sightseeing, swimming, exercising, lectures, trivia of all types, stage shows, music, late night music if that is of interest.

As for us, we're a couple in our early 70's and our 15 year old granddaughter could not keep up with us while we were on an Asia cruise last year. I wouldn't begin to characterize the ships as "floating nursing homes" although the clientele are generally more mature in age. On the Alaskan cruises, the average age definitely drops.

Tim

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

The most recent information concerning rental of the Lido Deck cabanas that I can find is from 2015, can anyone tell me the current prices for a day rental? I expect that a daily rental must be done after boarding? Thank you in advance!

The most recent information concerning rental of the Lido Deck cabanas that I can find is from 2015, can anyone tell me the current prices for a day rental? I expect that a daily rental must be done after boarding? Thank you in advance!

I'm on the nieuw amsterdam this Saturday. It was $199 for a weekly rental of a Lido Cabana and $30 per port day and $50 per sea day. Sales are based on availability (if every cabana is filled with a weekly rental, then no daily rentals). I did find a PDF somewhere online - will try to find the link. (this thread)

Edited by christineispink
adding a link

I'm on the nieuw amsterdam this Saturday. It was $199 for a weekly rental of a Lido Cabana and $30 per port day and $50 per sea day. Sales are based on availability (if every cabana is filled with a weekly rental, then no daily rentals). I did find a PDF somewhere online - will try to find the link. (this thread)

Thank you very much!!

Does Holland America still give out the tote bags before the first port?

Wait.....what? Tote bags? This is the first mention I’ve seen of this. What kind of bag? Do you need to attend something or be in a specific cabin category to receive one?

More info, please!

• Like 1

Wait.....what? Tote bags? This is the first mention I’ve seen of this. What kind of bag? Do you need to attend something or be in a specific cabin category to receive one?

More info, please!

Your Room Steward will place a blue HAL-logo 18 X 18 cloth tote bag on your bed the night before your first port. If you don't get a bag for your room, ask.

Packing for first HAL cruise on May 26, I think I read that on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam they provide robes, but do they provide slippers?

Every cabin on every HAL ship gets robes. But only the high rent district cabins get slippers.