New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Just back from Eurodam in Alaska: more coatless, open collar than blazers; more blazers than suits;

more suits than tuxes -- but we had two tuxes at our table. :halo:

General wisdom is that HAL shades toward coatless, open collar especially to Alaska.

On a Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam, would there less men in suits?

Since we will be traveling in Europe after arriving, I really want to pack less formal.

If I have to bring a sport coat, I will.

This will be our first HAL cruise.

On a Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam, would there less men in suits?

Since we will be traveling in Europe after arriving, I really want to pack less formal.

If I have to bring a sport coat, I will.

This will be our first HAL cruise.

Hard to say, but generally, cruises headed to Europe tend to have a good percentage of people that like to dress nicely.

Now, that being said, a sports jacket is NOT required for Gala night. You will certainly see some in them but it is not necessary and, I am sure you will see others that prefer not to wear a jacket as well. I doubt you will be in the minority.

BUT, Europe itself can be dressier, especially in certain restaurants, etc. You may wish to consider the sports jacket depending on what your plans are in Europe.

can you ask for an iron and iron board be brought to your cabin?

They will not provide and you are not allowed to bring one. This is do to fire and safety regulations. If something is wrinkled bad, you can send it out to the onboard laundry and to get pressed. Most of us that have cruised for many years will hang a wrinkled item in the bathroom after it gets steamy from the hot shower. Every has the same issue so a wrinkles will be seen all over the ship. Go have a Great time and let the wrinkles relax

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will soon embark on our first HAL cruise, and I have a question about the color-coding on HAL's luggage tags -- how important is that the tags be printed in color? I imagine that the color is a great visual for the porters and crew sorting the luggage, but I'm now retired and we don't own a color printer. (Previously, I printed all our color-coded luggage tags in my office! :D) I suppose I could download the tags onto a thumb drive and find a Staples or something, but failing that, is a B&W luggage tag a problem?

Thanks for any advice!

We will soon embark on our first HAL cruise, and I have a question about the color-coding on HAL's luggage tags -- how important is that the tags be printed in color? I imagine that the color is a great visual for the porters and crew sorting the luggage, but I'm now retired and we don't own a color printer. (Previously, I printed all our color-coded luggage tags in my office! :D) I suppose I could download the tags onto a thumb drive and find a Staples or something, but failing that, is a B&W luggage tag a problem?

Thanks for any advice!

I don't think the colour makes any difference (although I do print in colour).

the colour only helps identify the ship. As long as you get the right stevedores, you should be fine.

The coding that helps get the luggage to your room doesn't need to be in colour. Just needs to be printed.

Thanks for any advice!

It’s not important at all. In fact, some porters can’t be bothered stapling them on (if you haven’t already done it) and just put their own tags on.

It’s not important at all. In fact, some porters can’t be bothered stapling them on (if you haven’t already done it) and just put their own tags on.

I've had no problem with B&W laser-printed tags. If you have coloured magic markers at home, you could apply a bit of the proper colour, but I wouldn't be bothered.

Thank you both, and Kazu (this post didn't pick up yours), much appreciated!

I am not new to HAL, but I am new to flex/open/"As You Wish" dining. We have always done fixed seating before on HAL.

My question is: Does HAL make it easy to join a group (share) a large table with flex/open dining?

We are a couple (2), travelling without friends or family on this particular voyage, and we are NOT looking for a table-for-2 every night. We have generally enjoyed meeting new voyage-long tablemates and having the same waitstaff, but the flexibility of flex/open dining is sometimes attractive.

I am not new to HAL, but I am new to flex/open/"As You Wish" dining. We have always done fixed seating before on HAL.

My question is: Does HAL make it easy to join a group (share) a large table with flex/open dining?

We are a couple (2), travelling without friends or family on this particular voyage, and we are NOT looking for a table-for-2 every night. We have generally enjoyed meeting new voyage-long tablemates and having the same waitstaff, but the flexibility of flex/open dining is sometimes attractive.

No problem to join another table at all. In fact, you will make life easy for the Asst/Dining Room Manager.

If you find waitstaff you like, you just need to request their section.

And if you find compatible tablemates and you are all sympatico, then you can reserve at certain times for all of you in any time dining. Hope this helps.

Hello to all.

New to HAL so a very simple question.

What tie do we have to keave the ship (Koningsdam) in Amsterdam?

It arrives at 06.00. That seems very early to disembark even allowing for customs clearance. On Princess and NCL we were not rushed off and even had time to have breakfast in the MDR or the Haven.

Our flight to Alicante is not until 14.00 so we have time.

I'd love to hear from those who have disembarked at a more relaxed pace!!!

Thanks for all info

Deeko

New to HAL so a very simple question.

What tie do we have to keave the ship (Koningsdam) in Amsterdam?

Welcome to HAL!

Disembarkation generally starts about 7:30 (give or take 15 minutes), and is completed sometime between 9:30-10:00.

Breakfast is always served in the dining room, Lido, and you can have full room service breakfast, too. That happens to be my favorite on the last morning, as it allows the opportunity to finish off packing, while enjoying my coffee.

A friend of a friend just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise (one of the monster ones) and said they were able to text on the ship at no charge. Is this something new and does HAL have it?

A friend of a friend just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise (one of the monster ones) and said they were able to text on the ship at no charge. Is this something new and does HAL have it?

You can send messages to others on your ship using the Navigator app for no charge. However, there is no alert to indicate when a text is received. The app only for works for messages sent between passengers...it does not allow you to send regular texts to anyone who is not on the ship.

You can send messages to others on your ship using the Navigator app for no charge. However, there is no alert to indicate when a text is received. The app only for works for messages sent between passengers...it does not allow you to send regular texts to anyone who is not on the ship.
It also does allow to message younger cruisers as we found out when we tried to sign our 12 y/o almost 13 y/o up so we could message her. It was still nice to message my husband and let him know where we were seated in a venue or if we had a change of plans should we not all been together. Also nice to have mot had to pay anything extra for it.

Is this something new and does HAL have it?

Fairly new and no, HAL doesn't have it. AFAIK, HAL has no plans for it either at the current time. Let's face it, HAL has a lot of strengths, but leading edge technology is isn't one of them.

Fairly new and no, HAL doesn't have it. AFAIK, HAL has no plans for it either at the current time. Let's face it, HAL has a lot of strengths, but leading edge technology is isn't one of them.

....nor does it lead in passengers demanding leading edge tech.:D

Hello all......again!!!

OK so this thread is for Dummies..........

Does anyone know (I bet they do!) what deck we will embark on when embarking the Koningsdam?

Thanks

Deeko

Hello all......again!!!

OK so this thread is for Dummies..........

Does anyone know (I bet they do!) what deck we will embark on when embarking the Koningsdam?

Thanks

Deeko

If in Fort Lauderdale - it is usually deck 2. What port are you leaving from - it does make a difference.

If the post was more that 24 hours old, it's "old". :o Things are in flux.....

By-bandwidth works jaw-droppingly well in the Caribbean, but while circling Iceland?

Sorry. :')

Thank you! I appreciate knowing what's going on!