New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I do not see a roll call for my Oosterdam Alaska Cruise May 14-21. I tried to start one, but apparently I do not know how. Can anyone tell me how to do this. Maybe it doesn't matter, since it is just over a month away and no one else has started one, I may be the only CC member on this cruise.

Try this link;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2460587

My wife and I have been using Ship Text for the past 2 weeks on the Volendam with our iPhone 6's. It works very well!!

Could you please tell me more about this? I did a google search but it came back to a thread on CC which wasn't very helpful.

Thank you.

Really looking at HAL, long time RC cruiser.

When booking a cruise, at the price that day and if the price drops in the same category of cabin can I get the new price if done before final payment??

Do they offer any deals like drink packages or internet on Transatlantic cruises?

If they do offer perks for any of my question, how far out do they begin to offer them?

Really looking at HAL, long time RC cruiser.

When booking a cruise, at the price that day and if the price drops in the same category of cabin can I get the new price if done before final payment??

Yes, but you need to keep track of the prices, and notify your TA as soon as you see a lower price you want applied. Keep in mind that some TAs charge for changes, so be sure the drop is worth any additional charges you incur.

Do they offer any deals like drink packages or internet on Transatlantic cruises?

All cruises have the Signature Beverage Package, and an enhanced edition at a higher price. They allow a limit of 15 drinks per day at a price of up to $9 (new price allowance) or $15 on the higher priced package. Every adult age 21+ in the cabin has to purchase the package if one does.

There are always Internet packages of a set number of minutes for a set price.

If they do offer perks for any of my question, how far out do they begin to offer them?
You get the price decrease as soon as you notice it, and ask. You can purchase the beverage package as soon as you book. Internet packages can only be purchased on board.

Could you please tell me more about this? I did a google search but it came back to a thread on CC which wasn't very helpful.

Thank you.

You download the app from the App Store and then use it. It's pretty easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I have been using Ship Text for the past 2 weeks on the Volendam with our iPhone 6's. It works very well!!

What is the name of the app? When I search in the App Store for "Ship Text" nothing comes up but "Cruise Ship Messenger". Thank you for the info.

For the Internet package, can the whole family share it or it's specific to only 1 device?

Anyone and everyone can use your minutes, as when they are gone, they are gone. But only one person at a time can be logged in under your plan.

Clarification please..........formal dinner night, do men have to wear a suit or would a pair of dress pants, shirt and pullover sweater suffice? Are the rules the same in the Pinnacle Grill? Have read lots of different versions of dress for men.

Thanks!

A question regarding wifi/internet. We are newbies. We have one day on our upcoming eurodam cruise ( April 8 Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver) where we need Internet. And it is a cruising day. We know we will have to pay. My question is on speed and download capabilities. Any comments/advice?

We noticed the speeds of the Internet are faster when lots of folks are using it. Learned to use it early morning or perhaps when most are eating, etc.

Quick question on the daily programs, does any one know if they are one per stateroom or is it possible to get 2 copies? I am cruising with a friend and we will be doing different activities and would also each like to have our own "souvenirs".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ask your Room Steward the first time he/she introduces themselves for an extra one daily. He/she is the one who places them on your bed(s) at the nightly Turn Down:)

Joanie

Know this is not the right place, could not find the original thread. Article in Los Angeles Times Travel section today on Alaska cruises. Included is mention of July 15th cruise with Oprah, inside cabins start at $2009 per person, double occupancy. Wonder how many will jump on this one/

Has anyone been in an "N" inside state room? I'm wondering just how small it is and layout wise. And if I should request the beds be in two twin beds for more space and movement....[emoji848]

Has anyone been in an "N" inside state room? I'm wondering just how small it is and layout wise. And if I should request the beds be in two twin beds for more space and movement....[emoji848]

Which ship. That makes a big difference. Some are a decent size, while others aren't large enough to change your mind.

Which ship. That makes a big difference. Some are a decent size, while others aren't large enough to change your mind.

Eurodam. This will be our first time with Holland so I'm not sure what to expect.

Eurodam. This will be our first time with Holland so I'm not sure what to expect.

Small. Expect small. Yes, in that category cabin, on that ship, you might be happier with the beds separated. I have seen it set up that way (for a solo, after she had them split) and it was bearable.