New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I think we may need to do that, to use our complimentary PG dinner. Who did you speak to about getting your payment refunded please Ruth?

I take it up with the Pinnacle Dining Room Manager at the Pinnacle podium.

In your case I would do this in advance of the dinner reservation, closer to the beginning of the cruise than further in. Then, remind him when you arrive for the dinner reservation.

Thank You. I'm kind of glad there are no laundry facilities, now I have to send the clothes out!

Oh it's so terrible! To have someone else do your laundry, then have it returned all clean, on hangers or folded! :D

Ships laundry is one of my joys of cruising Holland America.

Question for former HAL travelers. According to the web page if one of us in our cabin wants t o buy the soda package then it says both people have to. Same with the elite packages. It says that both have to buy. That can't be true. I don't drink wine and my wife doesn't drink soft drinks. cHave cruised over a dozen times and have never heard of anllything so stupid. Help me out please.

I am sorry. I am a real-life Cruise Virgin. What are Express Documents/

Express Docs are your electronic cruise documents that you receive about 50 days prior to boarding day. Your luggage tags will also be available for printing.

Question for former HAL travelers. According to the web page if one of us in our cabin wants t o buy the soda package then it says both people have to. Same with the elite packages. It says that both have to buy. That can't be true. I don't drink wine and my wife doesn't drink soft drinks. cHave cruised over a dozen times and have never heard of anllything so stupid. Help me out please.

IMHO the rule is to preclude sharing among passengers in the same stateroom. I would recommend just paying as you drink whatever your wish.

What is the laundry package in Noordam cruising in Alaska? I read somewhere that there's a package of around $100 total for all 6-7 days where you can give a filled bag everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to CC and to HAL.

The Noordam laundry price for 7 days in Alaska is $49 for unlimited laundry (one or more bags per day). Laundry bags placed on your bed while you are at dinner is usually returned before noon the next day on hangers.. Of course you cannot turn in laundry your last evening on board since you will be departing the ship before it would be ready for return to you.

I pack for 3-4 days and use the ship's laundry service to save luggage space for souvenirs. It is nice to return home with almost everything cleaned and pressed.

Express Docs are your electronic cruise documents that you receive about 50 days prior to boarding day. Your luggage tags will also be available for printing.

:confused: We are 44 days out (yeah!) but have not received anything. Do I need to check us in online to get the documents?

...\Second question? Are there laundry facilities on the Noordam?

We're just off the 16-nt TA on Zuiderdam from FLL to Copenhagen. We sent laundry out twice--it was $20/bag and you can get quite a lot into the bag. Well worth it IMHO.

Welcome to CC and to HAL.

The Noordam laundry price for 7 days in Alaska is $49 for unlimited laundry (one or more bags per day). Laundry bags placed on your bed while you are at dinner is usually returned before noon the next day on hangers.. Of course you cannot turn in laundry your last evening on board since you will be departing the ship before it would be ready for return to you.

I pack for 3-4 days and use the ship's laundry service to save luggage space for souvenirs. It is nice to return home with almost everything cleaned and pressed.

And, while it's certainly not guaranteed...numerous times when I've left a full laundry bag on my bed when I went out for breakfast, the clean clothes were returned that same afternoon.

That's so awesome about the laundry. It looks too goo to be true. Laundry for almost 6 days for $49.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Laundry is especially nice when you can unpack your suitcase on Embarkation Day before dinner, fill out your laundry slip, stuff lots of wrinkled clothing in the bag, and then have wrinkle-free clothes for the rest of the cruise. FWIW the laundry bag holds at least three of my daily outfits when stuffed tightly in the bag.

The laundry bag with laundry list is usually hanging on a pants hanger in the closet.

A beverage card is a one-time payment to purchase an equal amount in various beverages; both alcoholic and non-alcoholic are included.

There is no bonus amount, but it does simplify checking your bill at the end of the cruise. There is only the one charge, instead of each drink being tabulated separately.

You can purchase the cards in $50, $100, and $250 amounts.

Does that mean that If I buy a card, both my wife and I can order drinks (or I can order drinks for her) without both of us needing a card? Is any remainder refunded or is it lost?

Does that mean that If I buy a card, both my wife and I can order drinks (or I can order drinks for her) without both of us needing a card? Is any remainder refunded or is it lost?

Only one beverage card is necessary as anyone can use the card. My experience is that what is not used is refunded to your stateroom account.

You can even buy a round for the house! ;p You can buy for anyone you want, as it is your money. And yes, whatever is not used is refunded.

It is free and 24/7 with just a call.

Well, not exactly 'free', but perhaps 'included in the price of your cruise' would be a better term. Nothing is really 'free' on a cruise. Some things, such as dining in the MDR, room service, onboard entertainment, etc., are included at no additional charge; but other things such as the specialty restaurants, alcohol, etc. are not. ;)

Are there shower caps provided in oceanview stateroom or I need to bring my own? Thanks

All the cabins get a shower cap. If it is missing, just ask your steward for another.

Felini, our CC posters have stated this is for everyone. On our Alaska cruise last July, in the daily program it was listed for Mariners, no one was checking. Is the lunch listed in your daily program? That might provide an explanation. Hope others will shed some light on this change. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sorry, a bit late to answering this. I didn't purchase an internet package and only briefly checked things like email when in I had coverage in port. +1 day out of the cruise and missing the ship already...haha.

I found out the next day why only certain passengers were allowed in the MDR for embarkation day lunch, it was only for 4 star or higher Mariners. It wasn't listed as such in the Daily Program but according to the front desk, it should've been listed that way.

We all had a nice time (myself and 2 first time cruisers / first time Alaska visitors.) I will say there were a few things that I was disappointed about. I purchased a Bon Voyage package to surprise my partner who was celebrating a Birthday. No balloons during embarkation but got them overnight the 2nd day. Also, I asked that his Birthday be recognized during the last evening of the cruise with our PG reservation (and confirmed this over the phone a couple days before sailing) but instead he got a piece of bday cake on the 3rd evening in our stateroom. Still a nice gesture, though.

Felini, thank you for the explanation. It is really confusing trying to figure out the criteria for who gets to attend. Perhaps they were aware of high number of 4 and 5 star mariners and wanted to make sure they could. attend.This really contradicts the impression many of our CC members have.

Wondering how much luggage space in oceanview stateroom in NA? 3 of us are going to be in a room so would three 25" ~ 26" luggages be able to fit underneath the beds? Thanks again

All of the NA beds are the same length. We fit four suitcases under our king-sized beds on the NA. Two 29" pieces should fit side to side under each bed. Suitcases can always be emptied, left open, and then stacked quite easily.