New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Small. Expect small. Yes, in that category cabin, on that ship, you might be happier with the beds separated. I have seen it set up that way (for a solo, after she had them split) and it was bearable.

Thank you so much for the quick response! That is as I feared LOL. Was not as I expected from what I saw on the website but I was suspicious. (Thankfully will have a signature suite for the second cruise. )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How are the hairdryers in the cabins on Holland America? We will be on the Eurodam if that makes any difference. I have fairly long decently thick hair and I am trying to decide if I should bring my "good" hair dryer… Just don't want to waste precious ship time in front of the vanity. [emoji16]

Hey there everyone. I'm new here and will be going on my first cruise aboard the Veendam this May 13th. Very excited and I really appreciate all the information from this thread. Hope to see some of you on deck! :)

Hi Great information on this board. This will be my first time cruising on Holland America. I just got my boarding passes and it gives a time to board at 1pm. Does anyone now how strick this is. If I get to the terminal at noon will I be able to board once I check in or will I have to wait until 1pm. Thank you.

Hi Great information on this board. This will be my first time cruising on Holland America. I just got my boarding passes and it gives a time to board at 1pm. Does anyone now how strick this is. If I get to the terminal at noon will I be able to board once I check in or will I have to wait until 1pm. Thank you.

Boarding usually begins around 11:30 am. And your cabin will be ready for you once you do board:)

1st HAL experience .... Inside Passage to Vancouver in July with pre Denali tour. Travelling a long way so I hope it's worth it!

It is. ;) It's very worth it (and you sure are coming a long way :o).

Have a great time in The Great Land.

Taking my parents with us on our first cruise with HAL to Alaska aboard the Zaandam, does anyone know if the ship will have lactaide milk on board? My Dad will only drink Lactaid milk and he likes a glass with breakfast and dinner.

Do they have a wine opener in the rooms? Or do I need to pack my own?[emoji848]

As Mary said, bring your own. And for sure do not carry your corkscrew in your carry-on luggage if you are flying to the embarkation port. (I'm speaking from sad personal experience.)

We'll be in a Verandah room on the NA in August. Will there be wine glasses in the room or will the steward get a pair for us? Asked a friend who is a 5* and always stays in a Neptune Suite and he said peons like us (LOL) staying in lower than a suite won't have them in the room.

We'll be in a Verandah room on the NA in August. Will there be wine glasses in the room or will the steward get a pair for us? Asked a friend who is a 5* and always stays in a Neptune Suite and he said peons like us (LOL) staying in lower than a suite won't have them in the room.

Yes, you will find them in the desk cabinet [small one] along with the hair dryer and make-up mirror. I was just on her in Jan-Feb.

Sailing out of Rotterdam next June - any "what to do in Rotterdam" tips for the day we'll be there before departure?

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=Michigander75&date=6-3-2018&text=Heading for the Fjords!&ship=Koningsdam

You may want to check out Hotel New York in Rotterdam. It's in the former headquarters building of Holland America Lines.

Docked nearby is the old ss Rotterdam which had a gala final grand voyage for HAL in 1997 before HAL's parent (Carnival Cruise Lines) sold her to Premier Cruise Lines where she became the "Big Red Boat." The ship is now a hotel/museum near the New York Hotel.

Edited by Host Walt

what time of food is available late night, any deserts.

Here are a couple menus you can see.

Menus list for all venues: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

They are for all the meals in the Lido including the Late Night you ask about. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/

This one is for the 10 Day Caribbean (Late night snack is near the bottom): http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-caribbean-menus-2015/

Hope these help you out. We've discovered over the years that the menus do not change a great deal.

Joanie

A few questions. Been on cruises, am planning a Sept Alaska on Oosterdam, but have a few questions. We are in a suite.

A). Is it tacky to bring along a larger mug for coffee instead of using those little dainty cups we get? Primarily thinking for drinking in our room.

B). My understanding is the suites now have coffee makers in them. If so, what type of coffee? Keurig pods, loose coffee, etc?

C). One of our adults kids took us up on our offer to tag along (), she's always wanted to go to,Alaska. Will we have 3 of things since we have 3 booked or will we have to ask for an add'l one?

D). Not that comfortable with our TA. No reason, she's new. The manager is all over her when we've been in the office, but something is bothering me.

E). What's the deal with a price drop? Am I the one who has to keep my eyes opened and then let our agent know if I find one?

F). Lastly, packing cubes......am interested in purchasing some, but I think all I'd use them for is for my undies, bras, etc. don't think I'd ever use them for my tops, jeans, slacks, etc. Can I just purchase these cubes in particular sizes or are they all sold in a variety of sizes?

A few questions. Been on cruises, am planning a Sept Alaska on Oosterdam, but have a few questions. We are in a suite.

A). Is it tacky to bring along a larger mug for coffee instead of using those little dainty cups we get? Primarily thinking for drinking in our room.

No, it's not tacky. You can bring whatever you like. You can also buy thermal HAL mugs on board.

B). My understanding is the suites now have coffee makers in them. If so, what type of coffee? Keurig pods, loose coffee, etc?

Keurig-type pods. I can't remember the name.

C). One of our adults kids took us up on our offer to tag along (), she's always wanted to go to,Alaska. Will we have 3 of things since we have 3 booked or will we have to ask for an add'l one?

If 3 of you are booked into the cabin, you should have 3 of everything, such as 3 sets of towels. If you find something missing, don't hesitate to ask your cabin stewards for whatever you need.

D). Not that comfortable with our TA. No reason, she's new. The manager is all over her when we've been in the office, but something is bothering me.

Perhaps ask the manager for a more experienced TA? if you haven't yet reached final payment, maybe look around for another agency? Or deal directly with HAL's personal cruise consultants? (See HAL's website).

E). What's the deal with a price drop? Am I the one who has to keep my eyes opened and then let our agent know if I find one?

Yes, you keep your eyes open, and notify your TA. She's monitoring a lot of reservations, and may not be as "on the ball" in this situation as you are.

F). Lastly, packing cubes......am interested in purchasing some, but I think all I'd use them for is for my undies, bras, etc. don't think I'd ever use them for my tops, jeans, slacks, etc. Can I just purchase these cubes in particular sizes or are they all sold in a variety of sizes?

You can find all sizes and combinations over at Amazon

Hope I helped :D