Civitavecchia

crooz'n con

Can anyone suggest the best way to get from port into Rome? Approximate distance & cost? And does anyone know how to go about taking a train to Venice from Rome?

It's the train' date=' and it's definitely the cheapest. Also, probably faster than a cab, especially if traffic is bad. Traveling from Civitavecchia a typical train will stop at S Pietro (40 mins), Trastevere (50 mins), Ostiense (55 mins) and finally Termini (70 mins). The main rail station in Rome is called Termini.

[img']http://www.rometoolkit.com/Images/civitavecchia_station.jpg[/img]

Check out these websites:

http://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia_train.htm

http://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia.htm

You can check out the train's cost/times to Venice on this website: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD

Edited by ScriptOhio

...or you can just visit the Ports of Call board for Italy right here on Cruise Critic. You can find detailed directions on how to take the train into Rome.

Alert: there is construction at the moment that has caused the shuttle drop-off point to be temporarily re-located farther from the train station in Civitavecchia. Details about this as well can be found on the Italy board.

Same with the train trip from Rome to Venice.

:)

Just be aware of sudden unannounced labor strikes by Italian RR personnel :cool:

a very wise warning. We seem to have 'lucked' into one every time we are in Civi. Was glad we were sharing private transfers;)

We have done the local train. In fact, last time we boarded the local train at FCO-not the Leonardo-, changed trains at Ostiense (I think), thus avoiding Termini altogether. We have also done the trip from S. Pietro station with no issues whatsoever.

It is OK as others have said, if you are not in rush hour. We travel fairly light, no large bags, so it was extremely easy for us. Not sure that I would want to do it if I had a big/heavy suitcase and a carry on.

If you can easily handle your own luggage then it is a very straightforward process.

Cost...I believe that we paid something like 8E each on both occasions-from FCO and from S. Pietro.

Edited by iancal

We haven't done Rome (Termini) to Venice, but we have done Venice to Florence return. The trains are very good, but keep a sharp eye on your baggage, which either has to fit in your own seating area or in the entryway. Check for senior prices (if you're seniors, of course) as the prices are much better.

Just be aware of sudden unannounced labor strikes by Italian RR personnel :cool:

There really aren't "sudden, unannounced" strikes. Strikes are generally announced well in advance, but you have to do your research and look for the announcements. Here are a couple of places to look:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/italy_transport_strikes/

(The best place to look is in Italian: http://www.cgsse.it/web/guest;jsessionid=frxZ4ldvxPAzP1HGNjf6IQ__)

For those not familiar with strikes in Italy, they are usually of a limited duration (a few hours to a day), and certain trains on specific routes are guaranteed to run regardless of strikes. Also, quite a few of the strikes called in advance are cancelled before the day of the strike actually arrives.

With all of the frequent references on these boards to strikes, you'd think they were an everyday occurrence. They are not. Sometimes I wonder if ship personnel mention the "possibility" of a strike simply to scare folks....

We have enjoyed quite a few trips to Italy-all of them have involved at least some rail transportation.

We have only encountered on strike-the water buses in Venice. It was a well advertised four hour strike.

You can easily take the train from Venice to Civ. I don't think it would be much more that 6 hours or so point to point. As others have said, check out the trenitalia.it site. English tab is top right hand of the page. There will be lots of train/price options. Avoid the milk runs. We always go 2nd class. Really not much of a difference between 1st and 2nd other than many of the NA tourists seem to pick 1st class. There are discounts for early buys. You will only have to change trains once-in Rome.

Edited by iancal

There really aren't "sudden, unannounced" strikes. Strikes are generally announced well in advance, but you have to do your research and look for the announcements. Here are a couple of places to look:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/italy_transport_strikes/

(The best place to look is in Italian: http://www.cgsse.it/web/guest;jsessionid=frxZ4ldvxPAzP1HGNjf6IQ__)

For those not familiar with strikes in Italy, they are usually of a limited duration (a few hours to a day), and certain trains on specific routes are guaranteed to run regardless of strikes. Also, quite a few of the strikes called in advance are cancelled before the day of the strike actually arrives.

With all of the frequent references on these boards to strikes, you'd think they were an everyday occurrence. They are not. Sometimes I wonder if ship personnel mention the "possibility" of a strike simply to scare folks....

You are more travelled than we are in Europe. But, we did hit no warning when we were in Rome last time. Our concierge called us over and wanted to shift our transfer earlier because of 'word' of a train strike. there was nothing in the way of a warning of it that I could find. This was the second time for us so......

We changed our transfer to earlier, reached our friends and all was good. I felt badly for our roll call members as I know some were planning on taking the train but fortunately they all got on the cruise on time.

Italy can do sudden strikes - at least they did when we were there. These had only overnight 'rumour' notice and they were indeed on strike the next day. If things have changed and there is now notice that is great.

We have done the local train. In fact, last time we boarded the local train at FCO-not the Leonardo-, changed trains at Ostiense (I think), thus avoiding Termini altogether. We have also done the trip from S. Pietro station with no issues whatsoever.

It is OK as others have said, if you are not in rush hour. We travel fairly light, no large bags, so it was extremely easy for us. Not sure that I would want to do it if I had a big/heavy suitcase and a carry on.

If you can easily handle your own luggage then it is a very straightforward process.

Cost...I believe that we paid something like 8E each on both occasions-from FCO and from S. Pietro.

Just sayin': You can change trains in Ostience; however, it is a shorter trip to change in Trastevere.

rome_train_map.gif

Also, (in case you have luggage) I know at Trastevere there are handicapped elevators you can use (in lieu of stairs) to get from one platform to another.

rome-trastevere-station-platform-w-train-275-p1080863.jpg

Edited by ScriptOhio

Thanks.

It was the Trenitalia ticket office at FCO that routed us through Ostiense.

As I recall, there was an elevator at Ostiense....but it was out of service as per. Maybe the train to Civ. did not stop at Trastevere. Don't really know the reason why they routed us that way.

I like your map very much. Makes the interchange points very clear. First time we have seen this.

Edited by iancal

You are more travelled than we are in Europe. But, we did hit no warning when we were in Rome last time. Our concierge called us over and wanted to shift our transfer earlier because of 'word' of a train strike. there was nothing in the way of a warning of it that I could find. This was the second time for us so......

We changed our transfer to earlier, reached our friends and all was good. I felt badly for our roll call members as I know some were planning on taking the train but fortunately they all got on the cruise on time.

Italy can do sudden strikes - at least they did when we were there. These had only overnight 'rumour' notice and they were indeed on strike the next day. If things have changed and there is now notice that is great.

I don't discount anyone's experiences. But for myself, I've never run into any train strikes. Just lucky? :D

Sometimes people aren't aware of strikes until the last minute, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a called strike. Also, being travelers in a foreign country, people may hear of a strike in the morning and assume it's all day or assume it affects their train line when it really doesn't. Without the knowledge and resources, it's easy to jump to conclusions.

I am of a practical, skeptical, research-minded nature. I've been told of strikes (by ship personnel) that supposedly are going to "close" sites in a given location, but when I contact the location, I find they are open. I've been given hints of a strike impacting train travel, only to find (via the sites listed above) that the strike was for a completely different line. Etc....

Again, I'm NOT saying this happened to you. But it does happen, unfortunately. People WILL play on the fears of tourists.

Certainly lots of folks not familiar with Italy don't want to take a chance with only a day in port -- I understand that. But I also try to combat the unnatural fear many seem to have about Italian trains. They aren't perfect, but they do run as scheduled probably 98% of the time. :D

Guess we are the "unusual" ones in that we decided to go for a taxi (there were three of us) rather than walk to the train station and then try to get a taxi in Rome to get to our hotel. It was the end of a cruise that involved lots and lots of walking (case in point, although I enjoyed a four-course meal every night, gelato, pasta, etc. on land, I only gained three pounds). We were just plain tired. The friend with us was about 5'1" and got very tired of the walking and pulling two suitcases. We are all in our 70's.

For us, it was just worth the extra $$$ to arrive in Rome fairly rested. Yes, it was over an hour drive and a little pricey, $275 of which my DH and I paid for half. (Our friend wanted to pay for ALL of it--she was that sure she didn't want to do the walking, train, walking, etc.) I was willing to take the train, but our friendship is such that we do try to be cooperative.

More information on catching a train in Civitavecchia on some videos:

TrainStation.jpg

The Civitavecchia Train Station

Another website with information: http://www.eportreviews.com/Europe/Rome_Italy1.htm

Tip #1: Walk on the walkway on the left side in front of those shops/hotels (opposite side from the sea) and there won't be any steps to get to the station from street level.

Tip #2: While on the train, don't be surprised if someone solicits a donation from you. They usually come by and drop off a note asking for money. Then they come back by to get the notes and any donations, all before the next stop. It has happened on several trips I have made. Not surprising (just in case you don't speak Italian); some beggars have bilingual notes.

noteb.png

Guess we are the "unusual" ones in that we decided to go for a taxi (there were three of us) rather than walk to the train station and then try to get a taxi in Rome to get to our hotel. It was the end of a cruise that involved lots and lots of walking (case in point, although I enjoyed a four-course meal every night, gelato, pasta, etc. on land, I only gained three pounds). We were just plain tired. The friend with us was about 5'1" and got very tired of the walking and pulling two suitcases. We are all in our 70's.

For us, it was just worth the extra $$$ to arrive in Rome fairly rested. Yes, it was over an hour drive and a little pricey, $275 of which my DH and I paid for half. (Our friend wanted to pay for ALL of it--she was that sure she didn't want to do the walking, train, walking, etc.) I was willing to take the train, but our friendship is such that we do try to be cooperative.

For those thinking of taking a taxi, the $275 quoted is rather excessive compared with per booking a private vehicle to pick you up from the port to take you to Rome. If you are prepared to do a little research and book in advance, it will be significantly cheaper.

For those thinking of taking a taxi, the $275 quoted is rather excessive compared with per booking a private vehicle to pick you up from the port to take you to Rome. If you are prepared to do a little research and book in advance, it will be significantly cheaper.

Right - a car service from Civita Vecchia to a hotel in central Rome should run about 120 euro - say about $160 - for three or four passengers. There are a lot of sites where you can book a transfer in advance. If you are travelling with a larger group, or put together a group from your roll call, you could get a van for 8 for about 180 euro or $240 - about $30 each.

We have taken the train to Rome, from the port, twice this year. Try to find the bus to the station. It is a long walk, especially hauling a suitcase. You can buy a ticket at the station. About 10 euros. There is no elevator at the station and we had to haul bags down the stairs, under the track, and back up again. We also took the train from Rome to Florence, and then Florence to Rome. Booked on line, in advance, and got very good rates. Business class was almost empty. Standard fare was very crowded. Be aware of young women who will help you with your suitcase on stairs, and then expect to be tipped. At Termini, young women will offer to guide you to the platform. Again, they expect to be paid. Find your train number on the big boards, and it will tell you the platform number. The platform number will not appear until about ten minutes before the departure time.

Please be aware of your belongings in train/metro stations. We had a backpack stolen in Rome, at Tuscalana train station, in August. Someone sprayed me with what we realized afterwards, was beer foam. I did not feel it or see it happen. While helping me clean it off, my husband put down his backpack, and it was gone. Computer, phone, passport, etc. While we realize he shouldn't have put the pack down, at the moment, they catch you off guard. We also witnessed a loud argument at the door of a metro train. Staged. They stole a wallet from a man's pocket. The train system is great, just be aware.

The past two trips, we now use Antonio Cagnoli and son. Two roll calls ago, someone turned us on to their Rome transfers. Now it's one less thing we ever have to worry about. You can google them. I also like that they don't need an advance payment, and Antonio lets you use Paypal if you want to put it on a card.

Have a great trip! We were just in Rome and miss it already.

Esther