Sunshine or RCCL Freedom Of The Seas

Dalton51

;)take the deal, go on the sunshine and be happy

BUT, BE EVER VIGILENT! for the deal because there's one out there and when you see it grab it

Im getting all crochety in my old age ( fitty four ) and Im tired of walking all over the place just to do some crap the lines want me to do to spend moolah on. We've been, like many of you guys, all all sizes and kinds of ships over the years. I just want a comfortable room, balcony is nice, suites can be, and outsides too. I want good food, alternatives are nice to have as well. OK shows, good comedy and though I love kids I don't want em in my hot tub!

Otherwise, I get tons of enjoyment out of people watching and just making new friends while on board.

We just did 7 days on the pride out of Baltimore and never got off the ship. For the first time we really used the Serenity area on the Pride.

We do have the Brilliance booked for next apr and the Pride again in dec. I think my wife is gonna have some surgery soon which might take us out of the dec cruise or force us to take a shorter closer to home cruise but we will "endeavor to perservere"!

I would recommend soon taking a cruise on a different line just to see how the other half lives. We are always bumping into cruisers that are locked into one product and just happy as clams. Other's are used to a particular line and when they see something presented differently they tend to see fault there. This last cruise we met RCI loyals that were slumming on the Pride, NCL repeaters that thought they'd try something different and the usual Carnival groupies that maybe had tried one RCI cruise on an older ship and weren't inpressed. Of course there's the odd Hal, X Pricess or even regular "river Cruiser that you might bump into.:eek:

for me, Im just happy to be here or I sure am glad for you to see me today is the motto!

I would recommend soon taking a cruise on a different line just to see how the other half lives. We are always bumping into cruisers that are locked into one product and just happy as clams. Other's are used to a particular line and when they see something presented differently they tend to see fault there. This last cruise we met RCI loyals that were slumming on the Pride, NCL repeaters that thought they'd try something different and the usual Carnival groupies that maybe had tried one RCI cruise on an older ship and weren't inpressed. Of course there's the odd Hal, X Pricess or even regular "river Cruiser that you might bump into.

for me, Im just happy to be here or I sure am glad for you to see me today is the motto!

Haha Gotta love you. I am exactly that person.I Try all the cruise lines and have a great time but always think I am slumming on carnival. How silly bc this will be my 8th on Carnival but first "new Ship".

I'd go with the Sunshine because of the longer cruise and the better itinerary. As for the ships themselves, it's all pretty relative. I think that Freedom and Sunshine are pretty comparable, with some differences (ex. Royal Promenade, and overall size) but don't go expecting to have a bad time on either because perhaps one has something the other doesn't.

Both the Sunshine and Freedom are beautiful ships with features that you'll enjoy. Here's the Sunshines adult area and like Freedom it's a nice retreat.

the main thing Id love is to get service like we used to on NCL or Chandris back in the 80's, or the NORWAY or celebrity's Galaxy in 99 and 2k respectively

it seems that short of paying 3g's a week per person we have to struggle along with what we got, I can understand cruisers wanting to see new ships or different ones all the time, however, I do like cruising again and again where you have the same bartenders, even dinner waiter! we have been on the Fascination 6 times, yea its a plain ole ship compared to the biguns today, but like I said, Im getting old in my slow age!

I have! and yes, Freedom is the superior one...!

Thanks. I can't comment as I have not been on fos. Actually my point was trying to determine if the poster had.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

As for ship to ship the Freedom is by far a better choice in all areas than the old Sunshine.

I've been on the new Sunshine and loved it. Is there an old one I do not know about? I can easily make a push for the Sunshine but have not been on the Freedom of the Seas. Sounds like she is a beauty from reading these post. Personally, I'd save the money and take the 8 days. But I do want to try FOS one day.

the main thing Id love is to get service like we used to on NCL or Chandris back in the 80's, or the NORWAY or celebrity's Galaxy in 99 and 2k respectively

it seems that short of paying 3g's a week per person we have to struggle along with what we got, I can understand cruisers wanting to see new ships or different ones all the time, however, I do like cruising again and again where you have the same bartenders, even dinner waiter! we have been on the Fascination 6 times, yea its a plain ole ship compared to the biguns today, but like I said, Im getting old in my slow age!

True, but when adjusted for inflation, cruising today is much cheaper than it used to be for the most part. Unfortunately, costs of new ships are extremely high, fuel costs are high, maintenance costs are high, yet everyone wants cheap cruise prices, so something has to give somewhere to remain profitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been on the new Sunshine and loved it. Is there an old one I do not know about? I can easily make a push for the Sunshine but have not been on the Freedom of the Seas. Sounds like she is a beauty from reading these post. Personally' date=' I'd save the money and take the 8 days. But I do want to try FOS one day.[/quote']

The reference to the "old" Sunshine was just a bashing attempt because of the pre Sunshine whole ship inside the hull make over that some say means that Carnival cannot rename the ship.

The reference to the "old" Sunshine was just a bashing attempt because of the pre Sunshine whole ship inside the hull make over that some say means that Carnival cannot rename the ship.

Lol yea I know. Was just playing along. :)

yea, that money we used to spend per day bought a LOT more service and a higher quality of food back in the day didn't it!

Im not dissatisfied with what I get today, I just pine for the days when you got really personalized service. We do get a variety of foods but not quite the quality outside of the specialty restaurants that we used to get.

I do like todays convenience of the standard buffets, but there was some adventure to figuring out where, and when the next one would be. And then staying up for it!

Though today, I wouldn't dare eat late like back in the day.

I have enjoyed studying everyone's cruise history, seeing lots of common experiences. We spent years stubbornly staying with smaller ships, and yes even today I really prefer what todays smaller ship offers. I think outdoor movie screen is one good thing about the bigger carnival ships. I don't have much use for ice skating, rock climbing or wave riding. I am somewhat disturbed at the lack of a pool type band on recent cruises. I guess we get what we pay for, or get what we don't pay for!;)

I'd go on Freedom of the Seas in a heartbeat over any Carnival ship. That doesn't mean we don't sail on Carnival and haven't enjoyed our cruises. There is just something about Freedom that attracts us. We are older and don't have young kids, so don't use the kid's clubs, don't do rock climbing or the surfing either.

I guess, one of the main reasons we would choose Royal Caribbean is that I feel the service is better as well as the dining. I like the way the ATD allows reservations and that the tables for two are not right next to another one. There are many more reasons we would prefer Royal Caribbean, but having said all that, in February we are sailing on Carnival as there is over $1000 difference for two people in a balcony between Carnival Liberty and Freedom of the Seas.

As much as we love Freedom, that is too much of a difference money wise and I know we will enjoy Liberty as well. I realize this thread is comparing Sunshine and Freedom, but even with the 2.0 upgrades, Sunshine would not be my choice for that smaller difference in money and even with one day more.

I'd go on Freedom of the Seas in a heartbeat over any Carnival ship. That doesn't mean we don't sail on Carnival and haven't enjoyed our cruises. There is just something about Freedom that attracts us. We are older and don't have young kids, so don't use the kid's clubs, don't do rock climbing or the surfing either.

I guess, one of the main reasons we would choose Royal Caribbean is that I feel the service is better as well as the dining. I like the way the ATD allows reservations and that the tables for two are not right next to another one. There are many more reasons we would prefer Royal Caribbean, but having said all that, in February we are sailing on Carnival as there is over $1000 difference for two people in a balcony between Carnival Liberty and Freedom of the Seas.

As much as we love Freedom, that is too much of a difference money wise and I know we will enjoy Liberty as well. I realize this thread is comparing Sunshine and Freedom, but even with the 2.0 upgrades, Sunshine would not be my choice for that smaller difference in money and even with one day more.

Options are always a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Sunshine and were not impressed. Severe lack of entertainment. The adult area is a joke; it is not "Serene" really at all. The food was good but the ship was crowded. It just always seemed jam packed. Service was fair but nothing special. It was an "ok" vacation and a fair value but it's not anything close to Royal. I would leap to go on Freedom, I would not return for Sunshine.

Who said Royal shuts down at 9PM? Production shows? Quest? Battle of Sexes? Late nite comedians? Ice shows? 70's party? Deck party? Late night dancing. Anyone who says Royal lacks night time entertainment is a liar.

I did some work on the Destiny and I thought it was one of the worst cruise ships in the industry, both by design and by the problems she was riddled with. Since the renaming to Sunshine, I had the opportunity to go aboard and take a tour here in Key West. She does look better, but you can only spray so much perfume on a turd. Even in port, the ship was crowded and some design changes, like in the theater, had me scratching my head. Advertisement pictures do that ship a lot of justice.

Freedom Class, on the hand, I have sailed 4 times. Sunshine is not even in the same league aesthetically and by design, so cost shouldn't even be compared. And whoever said the ship shuts down at 9...no way. That's just false. Either that person shut down at 9, or it was an outright lie. Freedom is one of the most amazing ships at sea so between these 2 choices, the decision is more than obvious. Definitely choose Freedom.

To be fair, I think the choice wouldn't be so obvious if Breeze was the consideration. I happen to think that ship is beautiful. But Sunshine? No way.