Departing Epic in Barcelona and getting to airport

coondogg97

We have cruised with NCL a number of times, but never overseas and never on a big ship like the Epic. We are arriving in Barcelona at 5am. The only direct flight to Philadelphia leaves Barcelona at 9:35am. Will we have enough time to do self debarkation and get to the airport in time to make that early of a flight? If this was the Gem and we were in Florida I would have no worries. But I would imagine even with self debarkation it will take some time to get off a ship that big and get to the airport.

Thanks!

Based on past comments, it will be tight but doable. Since you do not have the same sort of delays caused when entering U.S. ports - you should be off early.

For those that have not yet booked and wondering, here is what some people do to avoid this issue.

Get a hotel in the Ramblas area for the day. Enjoy Barcelona and head out the next morning. Great city to visit.

You will know what day you arrive into Barcelona, so check http://www.cruisetimetables.com and this will show you how many other ships will be in on the same day as the Epic. Having this information will give you some idea of the volume of passengers all needing to go somewhere.

As an example, we have just disembarked HAL's Neiuw Amsterdam which actually overnighted on the Sunday. On that particular Sunday, there were 4 ships in port, Neiuw Amsterdam, Seranade, Liberty & Epic and it was really busy. On the Monday, there was only the Neiuw Amseterdam. There was no queue for Taxis, the Port bus actually waited for passengers, it was a completely different scenario to the day before. Barcelona is a really easy port to disembark, they have it off to a tee. In your case, self dis-embarkation is the way to go and as early as possible. You will avoid the morning peak hour traffic and the airport is not that far away. Do on-line check in the day before and personally I don't think you'll have a problem but Good Luck.

We have done two NCL cruises out of Barcelona. Have you considered staying a day or two in Barcelona? It is a wonderful city.

If you must take that early flight, hope your ship is not late arriving.

You need to self disembark as early as possible. I suggest no later than 6am.

Getting to the airport is not bad. If traffic is light, it should be that early, and you catch a taxi by 6:20 or 6:30, you should be at the airport within two hours of your flight.

If you wait much later, the queue for the taxis may cause some delay.

We had a group of six, so I hired a private transfer with Barcelona Day Tours.

BarcelonaDayTours.com

Just be aware that the luggage drop closes earlier for flights from Europe to the US, it varies a little bit among the different flight carriers, but usually the luggage drop for long-haul flights closes 60-70 minutes before the flight time.

Regarding getting a taxi very early in the morning, you also have the option of PRE-booking your taxi transportation:

http://www.booktaxibarcelona.com/

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and gave suggestions.

We are actually flying into Paris and doing Disneyland and Paris for a few days. Then flying to Barcelona the day before the cruise and staying at La Ramblas for the night. So we will have a little time to check out Barcelona before the cruise. My work schedule doesn't permit staying any longer after the cruise or we would. The travel agent suggested that as well.

We have done two NCL cruises out of Barcelona. Have you considered staying a day or two in Barcelona? It is a wonderful city.

If you must take that early flight, hope your ship is not late arriving.

You need to self disembark as early as possible. I suggest no later than 6am.

Getting to the airport is not bad. If traffic is light, it should be that early, and you catch a taxi by 6:20 or 6:30, you should be at the airport within two hours of your flight.

If you wait much later, the queue for the taxis may cause some delay.

We had a group of six, so I hired a private transfer with Barcelona Day Tours.

BarcelonaDayTours.com

Thanks for the Barcelona Day Tours tip. Regardless of what we decide I think we may use them.

We have cruised with NCL a number of times, but never overseas and never on a big ship like the Epic. We are arriving in Barcelona at 5am. The only direct flight to Philadelphia leaves Barcelona at 9:35am. Will we have enough time to do self debarkation and get to the airport in time to make that early of a flight? If this was the Gem and we were in Florida I would have no worries. But I would imagine even with self debarkation it will take some time to get off a ship that big and get to the airport.

Thanks!

Did you book the whole thing as a package? If so it's Ncl responsibility to transfer you to the airport to connect with the flight. If you booked everything separately yourselves then it's your responsibility. Eg say the ship was late in docking for some reason and you missed the flight then a package is their responsibility to get u on next flight. If u booked flights separately yourselves then it's your responsibility and cost. Enjoy!

We did the Epic crossing last year, arriving at 5am. We were off the ship by 6 easy customs. Not many people get off that early. No lines, taxi right there, no traffic. It was a Sunday and no other ships in port. I couldn't believe how quick it was. The airport is close. You will make it.

Edited by SFO-F/A

We did the Epic crossing last year, arriving at 5am. We were off the ship by 6 easy customs. Not many people get off that early. No lines, taxi right there, no traffic. It was a Sunday and no other ships in port. I couldn't believe how quick it was. The airport is close. You will make it.

Did you walk off with your luggage? If I do not "walk off" how long is the process to pick up my luggage at the carousel?

If you don't walk of with your luggage you get a coloured coded label which has a specific time for you to depart. Your luggage will be waiting for you at this time in the port departure area. You are better to walk off with it if you can.

Edited by Upper Deck
Error

We had more than 3 times took the early flight(US;UA) back to US(NYC, EWR,PHL) from BCN.

We took our baggage express check out, out of ship around 7:30am(10 minutes before/after), pickup a taxi out of pier, 25/30 minutes arrive the BCN airport. My experience never had traffic and around 50 EURO(with early surcharge, baggage fee, tips).

We had plenty time in the airport plus they always delay 1 to 2 hours boarding.

Nice trip home

• 5 weeks later...
We had more than 3 times took the early flight(US;UA) back to US(NYC, EWR,PHL) from BCN.

We took our baggage express check out, out of ship around 7:30am(10 minutes before/after), pickup a taxi out of pier, 25/30 minutes arrive the BCN airport. My experience never had traffic and around 50 EURO(with early surcharge, baggage fee, tips).

We had plenty time in the airport plus they always delay 1 to 2 hours boarding.

Nice trip home

I have heard of the delays a couple of times. Should I assume our flight will land a couple of hours later then its scheduled to?

Thanks

All the suggestion are really good but still things go wrong.

Traveled out off Barcelona at least 10 times and always spend the night after the cruise.

Right ,now nothing can go wrong. Don't believe that.

Two years ago the plane left Barcelona hours late, fog in Europe missed my transfer in Amsterdam.

Had to spend the night and got home 2 day later.

NCL probably would not do this transfer or flight. To cover their a$$, they usually want more time. (I don't blame them)

Based on what most people share here, you should be fine.

Do a self disembark with your luggage, grab a cab and away you go.

Thanks!

General rule of thumb; Check in 2 hours pre departure time for European flights and 3 hours for intercontinental flights. A lot of European airports do additional screenings or apply extra security at the request of the US government.

If you disembark with the first group you should be fine, if the ship is delayed or not yet cleared, you are less fine. ;)

• 7 months later...

There is now a fixed charge on the taxi of 39 euro per car, no extras allowed to be charged..... This is from Port to the airport or airport to the port. And there are plenty of taxis early. We left the epic on may 2nd at 7.30 and there was about 20 of them waiting. Took 20 minutes.