Voyage Duration = # of Formal Nights

Linda&Vern

Wandering around the HAL website tonight, I saw the following info under "FAQ Dress Code." It drew my attention because we have upcoming 17 day and 14 day cruises and this is not the number of formal nights I expected. The beginning of the page was the same as usual - Smart Casual / Formal descriptions. But this was at the end of the page, and I don't ever remember seeing it before. Was it always there or is it new?

Voyage duration / Number of Formal evenings

Less than 7 days = 1 Formal evening

7 - 13 days = 2 Formal evenings

14 - 20 days = 3 Formal evenings

21 - 28 days = 4 Formal evenings

The number of Formal evenings on voyages longer than 28 days will vary based on the activities and cruise schedule.

Wandering around the HAL website tonight, I saw the following info under "FAQ Dress Code." It drew my attention because we have upcoming 17 day and 14 day cruises and this is not the number of formal nights I expected. The beginning of the page was the same as usual - Smart Casual / Formal descriptions. But this was at the end of the page, and I don't ever remember seeing it before. Was it always there or is it new?

The number of Formal evenings on voyages longer than 28 days will vary based on the activities and cruise schedule.

This looks like fewer than we have had in the past. There have normally been 2 formal nights each week depending on number of sea days even on the longer cruises. I personally like the idea of only 4 on a 21-28 day cruise.

I sure have never seen this, it used to be 2 formal nights per week (depending on cruise). And on our recent 12-day, there were only 2 formal nights, but it was port-intensive and only 2 sea days. I'm surprised they listed this, unless they're going towards only 1 per week in general.

:confused: I don't know if it's new or old, but on our 18-nt coming up soon we were told 4 formal. Doesn't fit the table.

I know I never saw that chart until tonight. I was figuring at least 4 formal nights on our 17-nt upcoming and 4 on our 14-nt upcoming. This chart would tell me only 3 each cruise. Not at all what I expected. I guess we'll see what happens.

I have to admit, I have never seen that chart before.

And I know that on our last 7 day cruises we had 2 formal nights.

I can see problems if this is going to be HAL's new rules -- very few people will dress up for the 1 formal night on a week cruise and will still be allowed to eat in the main dining room. No one will stop them. If that keeps up, HAL will become NCL with their Freestyle cruising.

I am cruising on a 10 day cruise and our cruise documents show only 2 formal nights, would have thought it would have been 3. Less packing formal wear.

Have never seen this chart before & believe it always was 2 formal on a 7 day cruise & 3 formal for a 10 day cruise.. On our 21 day Ryndam cruise in Nov. 2013 we had 6 formal Eves.. Looks like HAL is cutting back..

In Jan 2013 for our 68 day (almost 10 week) cruise I figured we would have approx. 10-16 formal nights...Took 7 different formal tops-jackets to go with 1 long chiffon full skirt, 1 long Chico's skirt, 1 long black dress & 1 pr. Palazzo chiffon pants with 7 different tops/jackets.. Figured I could wear a few tops two or three times & the skirts/pants several times each.. I could have done with less of course but I/m not known to skimp on my cruise outfits..LOL..

Edited by serendipity1499

Our 31 day cruise last year was scheduled to have 8 formal nights. It was cut back.

This year's 30 day is very port intensive. We are still scheduled to have 6 formal nights according to our express docs.

Where do you on your documents how many formal nights in your cruise...

It's on the first page - your boarding pass - "6 formal nights and 24 smart casual nights" (as an example). at the bottom of the page if I recall correctly.

It's on the first page - your boarding pass - "6 formal nights and 24 smart casual nights" (as an example). at the bottom of the page if I recall correctly.

Thank you so much. We are having 4 Formal and 20 Smart Casual Nights on the Magic of the Mediterranean. We have only 4 Sea Days in total... I could not see us having more Formal nights just for that reason.

Our 30 night cruise is showing 7 formal nights. Otherwise I would have said 2 per week.

I thought we would have 3 formal nights on our upcoming 11 nighter in the Med. (our Bermuda 7 night had 2 and that was two years ago) but our papers say 2 formal nights, so I guess they have changed. The little black dress will not go on this cruise.

Terri