Deciding between two cruises - identical itineraries

AACJ

My wife and I have the opportunity to utilize some of the free babysitting my mother in law has offered and are now planning another cruise. We narrowed our choices down to two cruises, both have the exact same itinerary, and leave a day apart. This would also be our first Holland America cruise. First choice is the Westerdam on November 8th. The second choice is the Nieuw Amsterdam on November 9th. Price is not an issue as they are within a few dollars for the same cabin.

Here is our predicament. On the Westerdam, a good portion of the passengers are going because it is a “Master Chef” cruise. I didn’t know what that was until yesterday. Apparently there is a reality show called Master Chef and some of the participants are going to be on the cruise. They are paying a pretty penny for this cruise too, almost double the rates I am being quoted for the same class cabin. I’m wondering if having the Master Chef (MC) cruisers is a benefit to us. We will not be attending any of the MC activities, but how many people do you suppose will be? Will that leave a lot of empty seats by the pool, in the shows, or in the buffet lines?

On the other hand the Nieuw Amsterdam is a newer ship and has Tamarind and the Silk Den. When I compared the deck plans for both, they were almost identical to each other, except for the above. I believe on the Nieuw Amsterdam, deck 10 and 11 have suites which are not on the Westerdam, but this is not an issue for us since we would just be in a balcony stateroom. Also, the cruise prices themselves are very comparable. BUT, the airfare is much more expensive to return on Sunday, it’s actually LESS expensive (by about $300.00) for us to stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale if we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam, this includes the hotel room too.

Any thoughts?

We have sailed on both ships quite a bit.

Can't tell you how many people who sign up for the Westerdam's group.

Have you checked the port times for each ship?

I would give a vote for the Nieuw Amsterdam as we love the Tamarind Restaurant.

The Nieuw Amsterdam also has the Lido Cabanas and the Club Cabanas -- we don't bother with them.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I imagine it would be hard to find out how many people on on the MC cruise. I did check port times, they are all the same..identical. BUT, I was checking on how many other ships will be in port the same time as us. On the Westerdam cruise, Saint Thomas has 5 other ships in port, on the Nieuw Amsterdam, only 1 other ship in port. Other than that all is the same. I don't know that I would bother with the Lido and Club cabanas either.

It may just come down to Tamarind actually.

Thanks again!

Art

We have sailed on both ships quite a bit.

Can't tell you how many people who sign up for the Westerdam's group.

Have you checked the port times for each ship?

I would give a vote for the Nieuw Amsterdam as we love the Tamarind Restaurant.

The Nieuw Amsterdam also has the Lido Cabanas and the Club Cabanas -- we don't bother with them.

We've been on a cruise that had a large (400+) group of Phillies fans on board for their yearly cruise. Although they did not overcrowd the Eurodam, it was clearly noticable that the other passangers were given less attention by the crew. Especially the entertainment crew and photo/video people were hard to be found as they were continiously busy with the Phillies group. Also, their functions required a number of bar staff therefore less were available for e.g. the pool. When they would have their lunch time, the Lido would overflow in a matter of minutes.

Having experienced that, I would not choose a cruise with a large group if was given the choice upfront.

I'd pick the Nieuw Amsterdam simply because you won't have to deal with having certain venues closed to you since you are not part of the Master Chef group. It also has the added bonus of being a newer ship, with some extra features.

Either way, you're a winner with the free baby sitting. :)

Love the Nieuw Amsterdam! Did a 24 day Barcelona to Venice last summer, and will be doing a 14 day B2B western/eastern Caribbean cruise out of FLL in March of next yr! I feel there is no comparison!

Enjoy your CRUISE!

3STAR MARINER

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise 3/15/2015

My wife and I have the opportunity to utilize some of the free babysitting my mother in law has offered and are now planning another cruise. We narrowed our choices down to two cruises, both have the exact same itinerary, and leave a day apart. This would also be our first Holland America cruise. First choice is the Westerdam on November 8th. The second choice is the Nieuw Amsterdam on November 9th. Price is not an issue as they are within a few dollars for the same cabin.

Here is our predicament. On the Westerdam, a good portion of the passengers are going because it is a “Master Chef” cruise. I didn’t know what that was until yesterday. Apparently there is a reality show called Master Chef and some of the participants are going to be on the cruise. They are paying a pretty penny for this cruise too, almost double the rates I am being quoted for the same class cabin. I’m wondering if having the Master Chef (MC) cruisers is a benefit to us. We will not be attending any of the MC activities, but how many people do you suppose will be? Will that leave a lot of empty seats by the pool, in the shows, or in the buffet lines?

On the other hand the Nieuw Amsterdam is a newer ship and has Tamarind and the Silk Den. When I compared the deck plans for both, they were almost identical to each other, except for the above. I believe on the Nieuw Amsterdam, deck 10 and 11 have suites which are not on the Westerdam, but this is not an issue for us since we would just be in a balcony stateroom. Also, the cruise prices themselves are very comparable. BUT, the airfare is much more expensive to return on Sunday, it’s actually LESS expensive (by about $300.00) for us to stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale if we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam, this includes the hotel room too.

Any thoughts?

Hello Art and Kim,

How did you find out about this MC group?

I called HAL yesterday to enquire if there was large groups booked on an Asian cruise leaving Hong Kong on Jan 19, 2015 as our roll call is almost dead. I am really worried we will sail with a large number of Asian people. Not that I am racist but the inability to communicate in English would hinder our cruise experience.

Does anyone know what I can do to find out if there is large groups booked on a specific cruise?

Thank you very much :D

I've sailed on both ships, the Nieuw Amsterdam most recently. Both are good ships ships; however, all things being equal I'd chose the Nieuw Amsterdam over the Westerdam. Now with the large group on the Westerdam it really makes it a "no brainer".

Call HAL's Group Administration Department at 1-888-425-9477 and ask them for details about the group on your cruise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Let us know if they refuse to tell you, since according to the HAL President's Office they will.

Call HAL's Group Administration Department at 1-888-425-9477 and ask them for details about the group on your cruise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Let us know if they refuse to tell you, since according to the HAL President's Office they will.

I have and after explaining my concerns, they did tell me there was no large groups booked on my Asian cruise. As well, someone else had informed me that once a month, a kind CC user was putting a post with all cruises being charters, large groups booked... Thank you very much.

You said identical itineraries but I'm not sure about that?

Doesn't Westerdam go to St. Maarten and Nieuw Amsterdam to St. Thomas?

Perhaps I'm confused...... wouldn't be the first time. :)

Either cruise sounds great, but as far as air fare, have you checked HAL about air? We got a super deal from them for our upcoming Noordam in October, and I recently saw a post about someone getting a great fare for a late booking Transatlantic cruise. Call HAL and find out what they will offer

have fun

terri

Hello Art and Kim,

How did you find out about this MC group?

I called HAL yesterday to enquire if there was large groups booked on an Asian cruise leaving Hong Kong on Jan 19, 2015 as our roll call is almost dead. I am really worried we will sail with a large number of Asian people. Not that I am racist but the inability to communicate in English would hinder our cruise experience.

Does anyone know what I can do to find out if there is large groups booked on a specific cruise?

Thank you very much :D

I actually found out from visiting the roll call for that dates cruise. It is a very busy roll call to say the least.

I just double checked on the HAL website, both go to St Thomas. It's a shame because I wanted to go to St Maarten sooner than later. When I originally started our search, there were about 7 to choose from, most of the Westerdam cruises do go to St Maarten. After allowed vacation time from my supervisor, ports we didn't want to go to (yet), and other plans tossed were in to the mix, we whittled it down to these two.

I think generally you are correct Sail but I just looked and these cruises are both going to St. Thomas. Odd.

We have booked our 3rd cruise (within one year) with the Nieuw Amsterdam.

She is lovely as she offers plenty of space, for us a nice lay-out, staff on board is weel trained and very friendly and as you kindly mentioned the Tamarind restaurant is fan-tas-tic! With the Silk Den for us it creates an extra bit of luxury without paying too much money.

To be honest it is the only HAL ship we sailed with but we are very happy to start our 3rd cruise with her mid-October.

Curious about decision, so please let us know! :)

Just recently came off 24 wonderful days aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam!

You probably already know, but a Dim Sum lunch is free in The Tamarind. The staff is exceptional.

I loved the Westerdam, too, but have to say the "nieuwest" ship gets my vote!