Announcement of the New Le Club Voyage Program

AzamaraJoel

Hi Ernie,

I agree that one has to wonder if this might be a "test" to see how the changes will be judged. If it's any consolation, I think we have the answer. My opinion ? As Celebrity recently updated their program, they'd have to be nothing short of insane to mess with it anytime soon. Eventually ? who knows - anything is possible, but I think it's relatively safe for now.

As I moderate both Celebrity & Azamara, I truly hope that Celebrity never makes a major cutback to Captains Club. I'm not sure if I can handle what would transpire at the Celebrity forum :)

I have to comment that this is exactly the sort of attitude/behavior that we saw in 2010 when Azamara took what a appeared to be a successful product, geared towards cruisers who like the basic Celebrity Product, but preferred smaller, more intimate ships with creative itineraries, and re-branded itself into a line which stressed seven day, port intensive, itineraries to a different demographic. Despite the hue and cry, LP eventually pulled that one off, at the expense of an undetermined percentage of the previously acquired customer base. This is the same conversation that was held then, and LP won hands down; he did completely change the Azamara Brand and Demographic. Hence round #2. It will be interesting if he can win this one, given that the industry is more competitive than before and that it is the most loyal of his customers who are getting the point of the blade.

I doubt seriously that we will be booking another Azamara Cruise; but since we were some of the earliest Azamara Cruisers ( our first booking was on the Celebrity Quest before Azamara was born), I'll still be lurking here to see what happens.

Ed

Love the onboard Azamara experience, the crew, the ships, the atmosphere, the fellow guests. Really dislike the shoreside and marketing operations, lack of communication with me and to cap it all the new loyalty programme brought out with all the finesse of a baby elephant.

Phil

Well said Phil. We totally agree and hope that Azamara reconsiders what they are doing to their "loyal" followers.:)

I have to comment that this is exactly the sort of attitude/behavior that we saw in 2010 when Azamara took what a appeared to be a successful product, geared towards cruisers who like the basic Celebrity Product, but preferred smaller, more intimate ships with creative itineraries, and re-branded itself into a line which stressed seven day, port intensive, itineraries to a different demographic. Despite the hue and cry, LP eventually pulled that one off, at the expense of an undetermined percentage of the previously acquired customer base. This is the same conversation that was held then, and LP won hands down; he did completely change the Azamara Brand and Demographic. Hence round #2. It will be interesting if he can win this one, given that the industry is more competitive than before and that it is the most loyal of his customers who are getting the point of the blade.

I doubt seriously that we will be booking another Azamara Cruise; but since we were some of the earliest Azamara Cruisers ( our first booking was on the Celebrity Quest before Azamara was born), I'll still be lurking here to see what happens.

Ed

I feel exactly the same, we have also sailed Azamara since the very start.

We did not like many of the changes already made but have stuck with them mainly due to the onboard experiance.

The product has definately been devalued & this is probably the straw that broke the Camels back.

We completed our 10th cruise with them in May & were considering booking another, sad to say that is very unlikely now.

Edited by Bloodaxe

We were explorer on our last cruise, having taken one of 11 nights previously. I don't recall seeing anything about free laundry on that cruise (of 10 nights, bringing us to 21 heading in to our next in a few weeks), but we did get 85 free internet minutes each. My question - do I qualify for free laundry? Can't find the details now on the A site; it's all about the changes and they don't list specifics for the current benefits. Oh, and I also have 7 nights on Celebrity, but the DH doesn't.

I wanted to see if I understood the "complimentary nights" benefit. It doesn't seem so good to me so far: "new Discoverer member receives 4 complimentary nights when moving from the Explorer tier to the Discoverer tier. Once they redeem their 4 complimentary nights, they'll pay for 3 nights if they book a 7-night voyage, or pay for 6 nights if they book a 10-night voyage.

So that means that you get no complimentary nights until you "move to the next

membership tier". So If I have already sailed ten times on Azamara on ten night sailings in a veranda and have 350 points, I now need to earn another 250 points to get this complimentary night benefit? Which means another 50 nights sailing in a veranda, which may take some time.... 5 more ten night cruises?

well I had another query...

It looks like the on board booking benefits have changed too. Does that include the certificate that I currently have? Or does the original benefit hold with that certificate? Maybe Bonnie would know. Thanks

That video is really bad. Wowser???? Please spare us.

Who is running this cruise line?

The wowzer was just plain stupid!!

The two people were a joke. I can't believe that Azamara looked at that video and thought that "wowzer" was OK.

The lady says " oh wow"

Man says "really"

Man says "Wowzer"

When told about the perks.

I also think the lady's gesture that she makes is like she is saying so what to the news.

Who wrote this?

Edited by geocruiser

Well, Azamara has given me ample reason to drop them from future cruise consideration.

You just don't "reward" your customers for loyalty, and later take back those rewards -- especially after they have used them. How disingenuous! It basically tells your customer "When we told you we value your loyalty, we didn't mean it . . ."

There are plenty of cruise lines out there who [still] welcome my business, and they have earned my loyalty -- not Azamara . . .

oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear, another PR nightmare.

On CC Azamara have a solid base of loyal customers, virtually all of whom are now disgruntled and no wonder! Loyalty seems to be ignored.

Time and time again we read of problems some cruisers, or Nations have with certain promotions and now you take away internet from LCV members.

It would be like me selling the best water softener in the world, but not having any salt to put in it.

We were explorer on our last cruise, having taken one of 11 nights previously. I don't recall seeing anything about free laundry on that cruise (of 10 nights, bringing us to 21 heading in to our next in a few weeks), but we did get 85 free internet minutes each. My question - do I qualify for free laundry? Can't find the details now on the A site; it's all about the changes and they don't list specifics for the current benefits. Oh, and I also have 7 nights on Celebrity, but the DH doesn't.

Free laundry is available to Explorer, Discovery, Discovery + and Discovery Platinum. My only comment apart from they forgot is are you sure you are Explorer level? The levels start at Adventurer for those with up to 150 points (it used to be up to 4 cruises under the old scheme), unless of course you had cruises with Celebrity too that boosted the number.

Phil

Free laundry is available to Explorer, Discovery, Discovery + and Discovery Platinum. My only comment apart from they forgot is are you sure you are Explorer level? The levels start at Adventurer for those with up to 150 points (it used to be up to 4 cruises under the old scheme), unless of course you had cruises with Celebrity too that boosted the number.

Phil

On our last azamara, there was no mention of the free laundry in the cabin, but we knew it was included so asked our steward for a bag and form, noted our level on the form just in case. We just snook into explorer, following 3 counted cruises, for our cruise in April by 1 point.

Yvonne

Hello All,

We appreciate our loyal guests feedback and did expect mixed reactions to the new Le Club Voyage program, in particular the discontinued benefits. As we have stated before, it was not an easy decision to replace some benefits, but we believe it is the right long-term decision for our guests and our brand. While benefits preferences are subjective, the new Le Club Voyage program is greater in long term value through earning points toward free cruise nights. In addition we have added stateroom upgrades, savings on voyages, and other new benefits. The program is ongoing and will continue to be enhanced with additional benefits to be added in the future.

We are following all your comments closely and value your opinions. Some of your comments are valid and will be taken into consideration, other comments are not valid. We are focused on delivering the right balance of guest benefits and what makes sense from a business perspective for our company.

Contrary to what many of you have posted here, this program was carefully constructed, researched, vetted and a pool of loyalty members contacted to give us input and feedback on what was most valuable to them in terms of their vacation experience. Throughout this process the insights that we gathered were significant, our guests travel with us for the immersion within the destinations we visit and the great service of the crew onboard. This is our brand promise and this will not change, we continue to deliver this promise to you each time you sail with us. New programs bring change, most of this program as we noted prior is non-cruise traditional.

We will continue to monitor your comments and provide further constant communications on the Le Club Voyage program with our members. If you have questions, concerns over your specific members benefits please feel free to call + 1.888.532.5828 (LeClubV) or email at LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com

Thank you, Azamara

I wanted to see if I understood the "complimentary nights" benefit. It doesn't seem so good to me so far: "new Discoverer member receives 4 complimentary nights when moving from the Explorer tier to the Discoverer tier. Once they redeem their 4 complimentary nights, they'll pay for 3 nights if they book a 7-night voyage, or pay for 6 nights if they book a 10-night voyage.

membership tier". So If I have already sailed ten times on Azamara on ten night sailings in a veranda and have 350 points, I now need to earn another 250 points to get this complimentary night benefit? Which means another 50 nights sailing in a veranda, which may take some time.... 5 more ten night cruises?

Actually you will need 400 points to reach Discover plus and earn the free nights.

Phil

Thanks. I guess i'm not sure what we are....just that we got the free internet. I need to go check once I get back from this biz trip.

Hello All,

We appreciate our loyal guests feedback and did expect mixed reactions to the new Le Club Voyage program, in particular the discontinued benefits. As we have stated before, it was not an easy decision to replace some benefits, but we believe it is the right long-term decision for our guests and our brand. While benefits preferences are subjective, the new Le Club Voyage program is greater in long term value through earning points toward free cruise nights. In addition we have added stateroom upgrades, savings on voyages, and other new benefits. The program is ongoing and will continue to be enhanced with additional benefits to be added in the future.

We are following all your comments closely and value your opinions. Some of your comments are valid and will be taken into consideration, other comments are not valid. We are focused on delivering the right balance of guest benefits and what makes sense from a business perspective for our company.

Contrary to what many of you have posted here, this program was carefully constructed, researched, vetted and a pool of loyalty members contacted to give us input and feedback on what was most valuable to them in terms of their vacation experience. Throughout this process the insights that we gathered were significant, our guests travel with us for the immersion within the destinations we visit and the great service of the crew onboard. This is our brand promise and this will not change, we continue to deliver this promise to you each time you sail with us. New programs bring change, most of this program as we noted prior is non-cruise traditional.

We will continue to monitor your comments and provide further constant communications on the Le Club Voyage program with our members. If you have questions, concerns over your specific members benefits please feel free to call + 1.888.532.5828 (LeClubV) or email at LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com

Thank you, Azamara

It would appear that many of the benefits of sailing Azamara have gradually been eroded and it leaves a nasty taste. Its almost like you are trying to lose loyal customers as their benefits cost too much and replace them with gullible new ones.

Thank Joel for sharing management's thinking. Don't think that that dog is going to hunt though. As Col Potter used to say, " Horse Hockey!"

Good to know you're here though.

Ed

+1 Good old Col Potter did know valid comments and used them Horse Hockey!:D

It would appear that many of the benefits of sailing Azamara have gradually been eroded and it leaves a nasty taste. Its almost like you are trying to lose loyal customers as their benefits cost too much and replace them with gullible new ones.

Agree with you about the nasty taste. Just wonder how many will be gullible with the current cost of Azamara. If Azamara can't afford to offer minimal benefits that they already promised, what can anyone really expect going forward.

I am so sad about the current Azamara approach. Just wish the crew and staff onboard could be running the corporate office for a few days. Things would change for the better for sure.

Have sailed many times but our best cruise was our first Azamara Quest cruise.

If you think that is a lot of cruising to get free nights, think about those who just turned Discoverer Plus and want the free nights for reaching Discoverer Platinum. It takes 2250 points or 450 nights in a veranda (11250 in an Inside). So that would be 45 ten night cruises (or 1125 in an Inside). Once you reach Discoverer Platinum you will get ONE free cruise for those 45 that you paid for. Not really much of a benefit. Even on Celebrity you would get a free 7 night cruise.....

I think the free laundry and internet were a better deal:mad:

Each time I sail on Azamara, it is different.

In the early days, it was a real step up to a gorgeous small yacht like ship with fabulous furnishings, excellent service, and wonderful food. It was less expensive. I loved the butler service. The specialty restaurants were filled at $5pp. The staff was friendly. I paid for using the washers/dryers. My butler carried my laundry to and from the laundry room and put my clothes on hangers. Lots of nice entertainment. I never wanted to leave.

In April 2010, the changes to include the wine and gratuities in the basic fare increased prices. No more butlers for non suite guests. It was still an excellent experience. Washers/dryers free. Great food. Specialty restaurants had a $15pp surcharge. We got a complimentary visit to celebrate a birthday. I loved the attention. Nice excursions at good prices. Lots of warmth. Lots of interaction with the staff. The ambiance was exquisite. I still never wanted to leave.

Last year, prices have escalated to include liquor and the Amazing Evening event. It now costs about triple what it cost me for my first Azamara cruise in 2009. I realize that the introductory prices were lower to get business. Prices for many things have increased in the past 5 years. The excursion prices have increased. Cabins haven't changed. Same old rugs, chips in furniture. New veranda furniture and drapes. The main rooms have had some changes in decor. Food quality has declined. Less entertainment. I miss the harpist and the live entertainment at dinner and at the pool. Specialty restaurants now cost $25pp. Service is still very good. Less visible officiers, Cruise director and hotel director have less contact with the guests. I left my recent cruise not sure that wanted to come back.

Azamara keeps changing. I am starting to think that Azamara is reinventing themselves. Change can be good or bad. As a result, I am now questioning...who is Azamara. And what does it want to be in the future? I really liked the early versions. I am not as thrilled with the latest version.

Thank you Joel for posting.

We will miss the internet and laundry but not on reflection a deal breaker. What is of concern to us is the itineraries. Only so many times you can sail the Med. The inclusion of Australia and New Zealand is good but if you have already done an extensive land tour there you don't necessarily want to go back, particularly with the long flights from the UK. We have been lucky enough to cruise with Azamara to SE Asia and Antarctica, again for us once in a life time trips as we look to explore new destinations.

We have 2 Azamara cruises in the next few months after that we will look at what new destinations are offered by other lines or look at land tours. It's such a shame Quest is chartered so much in the next 2 years it really limits choice. We love the on board experience and up to now Azamara have always been our first choice.

Hilary & Colin

There are so many threads on this now, I hope this is the right one and that Azamara will consider my points to be 'valid'.

Unlike many here, we are fairly new to cruising and currently both running businesses so we don't get that much time off but we hope to in the future. I would have thought that we were target customers and the announced changes are no incentive at all for us to return to Azamara.

We were introduced to Azamara by my parents who, in their 80s, cruise 2 or 3 times a year on various lines. At the moment their favourites are the new Oceania ships - they prefer the larger cabins and choice of restaurants. But they have been on Azamara enough times to benefit from both the free internet & bag of laundry. When they last returned from an Az cruise, they grumbled a bit about the cramped cabin but told me about the free internet & laundry as a bonus for their previous cruises. I'm sure they felt it made up for some of the disadvantages of the Azamara ship.

We have only been on a couple of Az cruises (and one Celebrity) and so are still on Adventurer but will be on Explorer after our next cruise in 2015. I was looking forward to getting the laundry (I've even asked about paying for a bag of laundry) & extra internet on another cruise & was disappointed to read this is being stopped. It hadn't occurred to me until reading here that the loss of the free laundry will send everyone to the self-service machines - they are busy enough as it is.

On both of our previous cruises we enjoyed them so much we purchased an Open Passage at £75 each to be used at any time giving us a benefit of a £300 ($400) off our next cruise. This discount was certainly instrumental in our decision to cruise Azamara again.

Having compared the old & new benefits, I cannot see ANY advantage for us or any incentive for us to be LOYAL to Azamara.

On our next cruise in 2015:

- we will lose the expected free internet minutes (that were available when we booked). Access to internet is essential for us whilst we are away.

- The laundry room will be crammed with disgruntled customers who no longer get a free bag of laundry.

- We will not purchase an Open Passage as 3% of the "cruise fare portion of the advertised price on sailings" is likely to be much less than the 400 USD from the old style certificates.

- we are unlikely to be able to purchase an upgrade for $199 as priority is given to passengers at higher levels with more points.

On returning, we WILL be moving up to a higher tier of Explorer which would give us a one off 2 free nights - but only if we book within 12 months which is unlikely at the moment.

There is nothing about these changes that will encourage our loyalty to Azamara.