RCI ships to follow Celebrity Century?

Makes sense, the sale of ships would give them a nice chunk of cash.

Timeline seems it would also make sense with 3 new mega ships coming on line in the next 2 years and 2 more right after that.

I don't think their other lines are ready to grow that fast and be able to absorb the extra ships and if they are trying to promote the other lines would you really want to do it with a 20+ year old ship.

A bit off topic, but I had privately speculated that the entire Vision class would be spun off at some point as a separate special itineraries group or sold to other lines altogether once the addition of Quantum class and more Oasis class was completed. The approaching age of the ships would also fuel that IMO. Pure speculation on my part.

But to the thread, I think that's a good possibility, Ken.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

A bit off topic, but I had privately speculated that the entire Vision class would be spun off at some point as a separate special itineraries group or sold to other lines altogether once the addition of Quantum class and more Oasis class was completed. The approaching age of the ships would also fuel that IMO. Pure speculation on my part.

But to the thread, I think that's a good possibility, Ken.

That would be something. Spin off an entire class of ship. May not be all at once but probably not far off that. I give the Vision class 5-7 years before they are all gone.

It will be interesting to see what direction RCI takes with it's next class of ships.

Will it be large - somewhere between Freedom and Oasis or will it be more along the size of the Radiance but with some of the newer features yet designed more for the ports.

That would be something. Spin off an entire class of ship. May not be all at once but probably not far off that. I give the Vision class 5-7 years before they are all gone.

It will be interesting to see what direction RCI takes with it's next class of ships.

Will it be large - somewhere between Freedom and Oasis or will it be more along the size of the Radiance but with some of the newer features yet designed more for the ports.

That was brought up on another thread a while back (were you on that?) and I had said that I thought it would be interesting to see a revised Radiance class sized ship but with the best of the current venues, etc., included.

I agree with your 5-7 years time line pretty much also - that would time out pretty close to Quantum and Oasis class planned ships in service and all that added capacity.

RCCL just announced the sale of the Celebrity Century to a group that will sail in the Chinese market. Rumours according to this article are that another ship or two could follow. Speculation on the Celebrity board that it could be Legend or Splendor.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11515.html

April 2016 Legend (Brisbane & Hong Kong) and Splendour (Dubai) these ships will be in a close spot for another China sale.

I am not surprised by the Century being sold and speculation of some Vision class being sold; I am surprised that RCI would not want to fold them into the Pullmantur subsidiary and more strongly challenge for the South American market. They already have the old Zenith, as well as RCI's Monarch, Sovereign, and Empress. A Vision-class ship would give them some balcony real estate!

Then again, the Asia market is booming so I would not be surprised if they can sell for a nice price there.

April 2016 Legend (Brisbane & Hong Kong) and Splendour (Dubai) these ships will be in a close spot for another China sale.

Could well be

Maybe after they get the new ships installed properly into the fleet

But what will happen re the need for small ships

None are being built

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could well be

Maybe after they get the new ships installed properly into the fleet

But what will happen re the need for small ships

None are being built

From all the new builds as of late it would seem that RCI is not interested in the markets that the small ships service. It appears that RCI is content to have the ships be the destination and leaving the more exotic ports that are serviced by smaller ships to be serviced by Celebrity and Azamara.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I think the announcement said that Royal would have a joint venture to manage the ship? Sounds like they could be launching or having their hand in a Chinese brand with the help of an established Chinese tour company, as they do in France, Germany and Spain (although I hear Pullmantur not doing so well)

Maybe I read it wrong, but I think the announcement said that Royal would have a joint venture to manage the ship? Sounds like they could be launching or having their hand in a Chinese brand with the help of an established Chinese tour company, as they do in France, Germany and Spain (although I hear Pullmantur not doing so well)

I read it as being sold to a holding company owned by Ctrip.

Celebrity will continue to operate ship until 2015 when the sale takes place.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its cruise ship Celebrity Century to Exquisite Marine Ltd., a holding company led by Ctrip.com International Ltd.

Ctrip is a major online Chinese travel agency which says it sells 10 percent of all cruise tickets going to Chinese passengers.

The sale will result in a non-cash loss of approximately $20 million dollars. This loss will be excluded from* adjusted net income in Royal's third quarter results, according to a statement.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will continue to operate Celebrity Century until April 2015.

Makes sense, the sale of ships would give them a nice chunk of cash.

In reading the article Royal is taking a $20 million non cash loss.

Can't see how this is nice chunk of cash ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hope the speculation is wrong about selling all the Vision class ships. If all the small ships disappear then there would be not more Royal out of Baltimore. That would be tough unless they would bring a small Celebrity ship back. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

I hope the speculation is wrong about selling all the Vision class ships. If all the small ships disappear then there would be not more Royal out of Baltimore. That would be tough unless they would bring a small Celebrity ship back. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

I thought someone said that a Radiance class ship could fit into Baltimore. So, maybe there is hope for continued service. But if they wanted to bring Summit down that would be fine too.

It is a wonder where all these large ships will go, as there are so many ports that cannot accommodate them. One would think you would need some smaller ships to offer enough variety in itineraries.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

From all the new builds as of late it would seem that RCI is not interested in the markets that the small ships service. It appears that RCI is content to have the ships be the destination and leaving the more exotic ports that are serviced by smaller ships to be serviced by Celebrity and Azamara.

I agree but it seems all the lines new builds are going that way except for like if seaborne Oceania. Crystal etc

Pity as those small ship ports are the ones I like.

I agree but it seems all the lines new builds are going that way except for like if seaborne Oceania. Crystal etc

Pity as those small ship ports are the ones I like.

There may be hope. TUI cruises the joint venture between the German tourist firm TUI AG and RCCL is currently in the process of building a number of new ships that are all about 99,000 tons which puts them at slightly larger than the Radiance class.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUI_Cruises

I thought someone said that a Radiance class ship could fit into Baltimore. So, maybe there is hope for continued service. But if they wanted to bring Summit down that would be fine too.

It is a wonder where all these large ships will go, as there are so many ports that cannot accommodate them. One would think you would need some smaller ships to offer enough variety in itineraries.

Consider the possibility

A seven day cruise with 1 port stop or more likely a seven day cruise to nowhere

RCI intends the ship to be the destination

After all they don't make much money on the port stops

The beancounters see that there could be much greater profits keeping everybody on board spending their money on the ship!

Consider the possibility

A seven day cruise with 1 port stop or more likely a seven day cruise to nowhere

RCI intends the ship to be the destination

After all they don't make much money on the port stops

The beancounters see that there could be much greater profits keeping everybody on board spending their money on the ship!

While I agree that the more that RCI can keep you on the ship the more that you will spend on board I think that this is a byproduct of their overall marketing and branding strategy for the line.

I'm sure that this was a conscious decision years ago when these new builds were being planned that they will be marketed to more first time cruisers with families who are more interested in the floating amusement parks than they are in the ports.

Celebrity would become the line that catered to those that are interested in the ports and varied itineraries without the amusement park.

It is much easier to market a brand when all your ships have similar features and unfortunately the smaller ships just do not have the same features that the Voyager class and up have.

Correct - Radiance class ships can under the bridges to be based in Baltimore.

RCCL just announced the sale of the Celebrity Century to a group that will sail in the Chinese market. Rumours according to this article are that another ship or two could follow. Speculation on the Celebrity board that it could be Legend or Splendor.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11515.html

I heard Spendor some time ago - that's where they are going after leaving Port of NO. If you look at cruises available out of NOLA, you'll notice.

I hope the speculation is wrong about selling all the Vision class ships. If all the small ships disappear then there would be not more Royal out of Baltimore.

This is what I keep trying to bring up with the idea that RCL needs to take the lessons learned from the Quantum and make the experience and economics work on a smaller-sized ship. the Baltimores, San Diegos, Charleston SC's and New Orleanses can't fit or draw enough passengers to support a 4000-person ship.

The idea of spinning off the Vision class of ships becomes interesting because if YOU were trying to increase your presence in China and SE Asia, could the business name Royal Caribbean possibly be a hindrance?

Of course, Holland America doesn't exactly take folks only between Holland and America either.