Oasis Drydock Upgrades and Changes Speculation Thread

LMaxwell

So many "fun" guesses and hearsay in various threads over the past few months, recently revived by a bunch of second hand information from the past couple of weeks. Let's throw them all out there. Hey, we'll know soon enough what it is or isn't.

It's only a two week dry dock so it seems like an awfully short time and ambitious rumors of changes. I can't even imagine the size of the army of workers about to descend on this ship.

My guesses:

- Seafood shack - Gone - Replaced by higher quality seafood place. More $$.

- Public "secret" aft balconies - At least gone on one level - added suites

- Behind the scenes reconfiguration of kitchen layouts (machinery) to facilitate future change to Dynamic Dining. I don't have any idea what they will do to the dining room itself to create 4 or 5 new venues.

- Solarium - Maybe won't get the full "Oasis 3" treatment (whatever that entails) but I could see them adding another set of steps from front of current solarium to the sun deck below and tying it in somehow. It's a big schlep from the Solarium to that spot...where it is nice and quiet...and they are not selling drinks currently...

- I do not think VCL will be closed. I think certain sections of that deck will change to suites.

Now that the cupcake craze has jumped the shark will they replace that store with another eatery? Maybe tie it in to the pub and offer "pub fare". At 1 AM I'd probably pay for "fish n chips" versus that red triangle thing from Sorrentos. I've heard the CL is moving in to Dazzles, and that the Diamond Lounge goes from windowless to coal hole. I hope not.

What are your guesses?

I hope you are wrong about the public balcony being gone. I have 28 people booked for July on the aft of Deck 12 right next to the deck. If it's gone we are going to be really hacked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hope you are wrong about the public balcony being gone. I have 28 people booked for July on the aft of Deck 12 right next to the deck. If it's gone we are going to be really hacked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

it's just my own guess, not based on any information I have heard.

I think that some of the things that have been mentioned on the other threads are likely to happen. Many have been reported by different people from different sail dates.

One of those is regarding removing either the Royal Suite or the Presidential Suite and adding 6 new cabins in its place. With that would be the creation of 2 new Royal Suites on Deck 17 taking he place of the Pinnacle Lounge and the Pinnacle Chapel.

Adding Cats has been announced as well as some reconfigurations for the introduction of DD starting in March 2015.

I can also see Ritas Cantina being replaced with Sabor. Sabor has had good reviews and was announced as being added to the Freedom. Like Chops and Giovanni's it makes sense to have the same restaurant on multiple ships as opposed to doing a whole lot of one off restaurants.

change the oil.....refuel her.....clean some windows.....scrape some barnacles off her bottom AND when nobody is looking.....(drumroll please)........paint the name Quest overtop of Oasis.....:eek: :) :D

on a serious note i am sure whatever changes that are made will be appreciated by many while others will voice their opposition....:confused: :eek:

Edited by 2004corvette

As one of those who posted some 'second hand information' after our trip on Oasis last week I think it's true to say that nobody will really know until it's actually happened.

However regarding replacing speciality restaurants I would expect that they would replace them with something from the stable of Quantum restaurants rather than come up with something new eg Seafood Shack replaced by, say, Jamie Oliver and there isn't a Rita's Cantina on Oasis so not difficult to replace that ;)

OP not sure what you mean about the Diamond Lounge being windowless - it's the least windowless of any lounge we've been in - with that great balcony overlooking the promenade.

I think one thing's for certain, there will be more pay-for venues - whether by adding new cabins or new speciality restaurants.

Edited by Bobal

OP not sure what you mean about the Diamond Lounge being windowless - it's the least windowless of any lounge we've been in - with that great balcony overlooking the promenade.

Windows to see the ocean like with many other Diamond Lounges (other ships)

Windows to see the ocean like with many other Diamond Lounges (other ships)

Ahh right - thought you meant enclosed in like the CL's on Voyager class :o So pardon my ignorance - what do you mean by coal hole then ;)

Edited by Bobal

Ahh right - thought you meant enclosed in like the CL's on Voyager class :o So pardon my ignorance - what do you mean by coal hole then ;)

Coal hole is a term used for a dark room with no views. Often the DL happy hour is moved to Blazes which is the nightclub on Deck 4. No windows and very dark decor. It's like drinking in a closet, IMO.

I know the ships are due for, or have been trialed with and possibly already received faster internet equipment. I would imagine at 5 years they would be replacing carpets and soft goods as well?

Coal hole is a term used for a dark room with no views. Often the DL happy hour is moved to Blazes which is the nightclub on Deck 4. No windows and very dark decor. It's like drinking in a closet, IMO.

Right thanks. It would be a real shame to see the D lounge moved away from its current location. Even though there's no outside view it's a great people-watching spot.

Hope you can post some photos of the changes.:)

I plan on posting photos of the changes. As a multiple times cruiser on Oasis I am excited about the changes and to see them first hand.

Reminds me of my inaugural sailing on her in 2009 :)

Just had a very successful skype video call this morning with an eastbound cruiser on her. Today sunny skies for Oasis.

I know there was a rumor floating around about a Margaritaville replacing the seafood shack? Anyone have any info or comments about that?

Haven't heard anything about Margaritaville going on a ship besides the original rumor.

I wonder if they will use wrist bands when they come out of dry dock

Wouldn't that involve changing every single cabin door lock on the ship? Seems like it would be a costly upgrade. But maybe there is a way to work around it with the original locks? Can't wait to see in November!

Question too about how they are doing the Dynamic Dining retrofit in October, but not starting DD until March. So will we just be sitting in four or five different dining rooms eating the traditional menus until then? :confused:

Jonathan, you're the new captain! I never knew. Congratulations ;)

I didn't send you the memo? My mistake.

Hope you can post some photos of the changes.:)

Absolutely. I plan to take a lot of pictures along with videos too. I have plenty of my past oasis pics to compare.